Why are chopped onions so expensive? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went to buy an itty bitty bag of frozen chopped onions yesterday and they were a little over $2! I can't chop onions myself because it gives me a migraine. Any tips of how to get them for less? I couldn't even do coupons because there was only one brand, with no coupons available for it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could you use a food processor combined with child labor to get them chopped? (You put them in food processor and child scoops them out)

No ideas for buying pre-chopped, sorry. ETA: I assume they are considered convenience items and that is why they are so expensive.
#3 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM

Yeah, prepared produce is expensive. Same for shredded cheese.
Since you can obviously handle the onions enough to dump from bag to food, perhaps you could invest in an inexpensive chopper that would contain the onion and chop it for you. Just dump to pan.

4 kids under 10
#4 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have a food processor, but I've assumed there still would be a smell? Which would still leave me with the migraine.

Maybe I could suck it up and sacrifice a migraine in return for chopping a years' worth and freezing them. Would I need to do anything to them to freeze them?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
Yeah, prepared produce is expensive. Same for shredded cheese.
Since you can obviously handle the onions enough to dump from bag to food, perhaps you could invest in an inexpensive chopper that would contain the onion and chop it for you. Just dump to pan.
I don't know why, but frozen onion doesn't bug me. But fresh onions give me a migraine. It stinks at potlucks. People put raw onion in the weirdest things.

#6 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

Can you chop frozen onions? I've never tried it. Oh and when I use the food processor, the only smell comes after I open the lid.
#7 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone in your family/friends do a bag of onions for you? If you got someone to chop up a bunch you could store it in freezer bags or tupperware type containers. I imagine someone would be happy to do this for you. Maybe you could have them for dinner after or something

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#8 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

We don't have family in the area, but I have a friend down the street. Maybe I'll bribe her with brownies. Thanks, I didn't even think of that!

#9 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:39 PM

I can't vouch for it, but one tip I've often seen for chopping onions is to stick the whole onion in the freezer for 10-20 minutes before you chop it. Supposedly that suppresses the fumes. Maybe that would work?

I guess a migraine is a pretty high price to pay if the experiment fails, though. I don't blame you for being leery!
#10 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:40 PM

if no one can chop onions for you could you chop them while wearing a mask so you don't smell them?

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#11 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say, have somebody do it for you! I totally would if we lived close enough
#12 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I'll try freezing them. If I get a whiff of onion juice, I'll beg my friend down the street.

#13 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 PM

I have the pampered chef chopper thing and one thing I really like about it is that you can chop the onions really fast and then just dump it straight from the thing into the pan. Also... lemon juice on the cutting board is supposed to stop the eye-burning-watering thing... maybe it'd help you w/the onion fumes, too? It really does make a difference, when i'm chopping onions the regular way, and my eyes start watering, I dump some lemon juice on the board and it gets better right away. May be worth a try if you get desperate...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#14 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
Could you use a food processor combined with child labor to get them chopped?
First of all

What about dry chopped onions that you can reconstitute?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#15 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM

I would try a mask if you can't get your friend down the street. I spread them out on a cookie sheet and stick in the deep freezer for a few hours to flash freeze them, that way it isn't just a "blob" of frozen onions, and do 10# at a time. I just scoop out a cup at a time. Love it and it costs me around $6.00

praying.gif Angela married to DHsuperhero.gif......DDguitar.gif age 7 , DDblowkiss.gif age 5 ,  DSsleepytime.gif age 4 and sadly 2 angel.gif  in heaven, Catholic and ribbonwhite.gif with a dash of crunch: hang.gif    chicken3.gif  homeschool.gif

#16 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I bought some dried onion flakes before. They work OK in soups and stews, not good for frying, of course. Maybe you can keep a jar on hand.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#17 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I really react to onions, too, though not with migraines, which must suck. IF you're feeling adventurous, you could try my trick.

I place the cutting board on the stove over the front burner. Then I turn on the BACK burner and run the fan overhead as I chop. The heat carries those awful onion gases up, up, and away!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#18 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Go swimming.

How about swim goggles (if they eye thing still bothers you), nose clips and medical gloves?

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#19 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

All this equipment is going to cost me a lot more than the frozen chopped onions.

#20 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 PM

I would just buy the frozen chopped onions and call it a day. After all, you have a medical condition!

I've never even seen frozen chopped onions anywhere I shop, but I've heard tell of them in other locales.
#21 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Location: State of confusion at just about every turn, Or Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
All this equipment is going to cost me a lot more than the frozen chopped onions.
I'm sorry but I had to LOL. I buy the frozen ones. I can't stand the scent and they make my eyes water something fierce. I just get one of the kids to do it for me. Hope you find something that works for you.

love and blessings
angie
#22 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
Can anyone in your family/friends do a bag of onions for you? If you got someone to chop up a bunch you could store it in freezer bags or tupperware type containers. I imagine someone would be happy to do this for you. Maybe you could have them for dinner after or something
My suggestion too. I would offer up to do it if you were local, I do this for others to the point a friend of mine wants me to host cooking classes in my home to teach others. A friend of mine takes a large container of my chicken stock when I make it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#23 of 53 Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 PM

I say talk to your friend down the street to chop them for you!!!!

Just think c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e- b-r-o-w-n-i-e-s!!!!: I think that's a great trade!
#24 of 53 Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 AM

If you open a window and run a fan to blow the fumes out (stand between the fan and the window), would that help? Maybe that coupled with the freezer trick would be enough. Worst case scenario, I'd chop enough for a year with a food processor before going to bed (so I don't have to put up with the migraine for too long).

I chop onions and freeze them in big zippered plastic bags - I usually chop 3 or so at a time, but you could totally do more. It really is very convenient (aside from the migraine thing which must totally suck all on it's own). What I do is kind of squish the closed bag before I put it in the freezer so the layer of onions isn't too thick. Once they're frozen it's easy to squish it all around so they're not a big frozen blob.
#25 of 53 Old 11-18-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
Can you chop frozen onions? I've never tried it. Oh and when I use the food processor, the only smell comes after I open the lid.
I unplug it and take it on the porch to open it. Seems to help the smell not be so overwhelming. Quickly dump into the pan and cook them with a lid on.
Cooking releases the oils in the steam, which really bothers my eyes. It seems to hang around the kitchen for an hour if I don't do the most of the prep outside and cook with a lid. I love the taste but the prep kills me!
#26 of 53 Old 11-18-2008, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Migraines are awful, horrendous, miserable things.

I think I would just live without onions. Or buy the bags. Don't hurt yourself for onions.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#27 of 53 Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 AM

If chopping by hand I usually burn a candle where I am chopping. The flame eats up the fumes before they can affect me too badly.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#28 of 53 Old 11-18-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
Migraines are awful, horrendous, miserable things.

I think I would just live without onions. Or buy the bags. Don't hurt yourself for onions.
I agree (or have your friend chop & freeze a bunch for you), but in case anyone is reading who is less sensitive but looking for onion advice, here's what I do:

Rinse the knife in cold water. Cut the onion into quarters. Rinse the quarters in cold water. Rinse the knife again. Choppity chop. This really seems to reduce the onion-gasses alot!
Also, I've never tried onion goggles, but I think they would help immensely - I know that onions don't bother me at all when I am wearing my contact lenses.

Again, I am not suggesting any of this will help the OP. If it's so bad it causes you migraines, these little measures probably aren't enough!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#29 of 53 Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothnurse3 View Post
I would try a mask if you can't get your friend down the street. I spread them out on a cookie sheet and stick in the deep freezer for a few hours to flash freeze them, that way it isn't just a "blob" of frozen onions, and do 10# at a time. I just scoop out a cup at a time. Love it and it costs me around $6.00
Sorry to hijack, but I'd like to know more about this. Can you use frozen chopped onions the same as fresh ones to cook with? Do you need to thaw them first?

4 kids under 10
#30 of 53 Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
Sorry to hijack, but I'd like to know more about this. Can you use frozen chopped onions the same as fresh ones to cook with? Do you need to thaw them first?
If you're cooking them anyway there isn't really a difference. I just open the plastic bag, scoop out some onions, and stick the bag back in the freezer. Because the onion pieces are quite small, the thawing time while you cook them doesn't affect the actual cooking time much.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page