What are your Black Friday plans? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're visiting family, but not planning on doing any shopping. I may check out the online deals and go to Trader Joe's, but there are no plans for serious shopping.

Hopefully we will hook up with my cousins for a tasty meal or at least a visit.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 01:24 AM

We will probably make it to the Target down the road, but I think I'll be staying put for the most part. My DH went out last year at 4am to get a TV, it was funny, actually. Neither of our families are big shoppers and we all got a kick out of my DH, up at 4am standing in line to get a good deal. I keep trying to convince myself to get up and go to Kohl's. But really, I'm going to be full of turkey and wanting to stay home and decorate!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
We will probably make it to the Target down the road, but I think I'll be staying put for the most part. My DH went out last year at 4am to get a TV, it was funny, actually. Neither of our families are big shoppers and we all got a kick out of my DH, up at 4am standing in line to get a good deal. I keep trying to convince myself to get up and go to Kohl's. But really, I'm going to be full of turkey and wanting to stay home and decorate!
My dad does this every year. He has definitely scored some amazing deals, but I would never in a million years get up that early to stand in line for hours.

I do put things on a wish list for when he is in the zoo mob at the store though if he happens to pick them up.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 11-27-2008, 01:30 AM

We are attending a local coat donation/exchange thing going on at the library. We usually go to a movie on Black Friday to the non-profit Indy movie house, but I don't think toddler will be up to that this year.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 11-27-2008, 03:18 AM

Staying home and turning my turkey bones into turkey stock. :
Old 11-27-2008, 03:30 AM

Hanging out at the in-laws and eating turkey sandwiches.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
Old 11-27-2008, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If the temp is above freezing we're taking the dog for a really good long walk to make up for the fact she will be in her crate for 4 hours tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Does anyone know if Dharma Trading will be doing a BF sale?

Seriously?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:40 AM

I want to go ice skating. We're currently staying out of town so I have no idea where to go. I'm at DP's parent's place and I asked DP to make sure we get to go. He hasn't followed up yet, but my mind's made up and I'm going to skate til my toes fall off, even if I go alone.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:22 AM

Ugh. Well I have to work Friday evening, though I was planning on hitting a few stores in the morning to catch some deals. After looking at what the "deals" are, I'm not too thrilled. There is really nothing I NEED, or even desperately WANT to buy that is on sale. Yeah, there are some good deals on flat-panel TVs, but our TV is perfectly fine, and I don't watch it a whole heck of a lot anyway. I already have most of my Xmas presents planned out, and most of it is DIY stuff like homemade candles, scrapbooks, etc.

I am going to go to a baby store, though, where they're having 10% off all furniture all day, and see what kinds of deals they have that day. Basically that would save on tax, but hey, it's extra money.

-
Old 11-27-2008, 11:39 AM

the only thing I ever go out for is the flannel at joann's in the morning, for pj's to give the boys on christmas eve. It's always been 99 cents a yard, this year it's $1.49 a yard I don't think I'm going to bother fighting the crazies for that. WE'll be pulling out the Christmas decorations, eating leftovers, and watching some christmas movies
Old 11-27-2008, 03:26 PM

I am sitting at my computer buying DVDs, there are some really good deals on them at Amazon. We only have a few and are sick to death of them, some are only 1.99.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 11-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Grocery stores are empty usually on Black Friday! :

I will be doing some light decorating and some cleaning for my Blessingway which is Saturday! The idea of the shopping crowds makes me :

I might peek at Amazon sales and see if anything great is going on...
Old 11-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Raking, baking and reading a book.

I never see the need to rush around like sheeple.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Tonight after DS goes to bed, I will make a shopping list of everything I can think of that we will need, through December and maybe January. Then I will look at the website of our local mall to see if any of the sales match what we will need. If so, tomorrow I'll take DS to the mall and then to the YMCA (which is next to the mall) to register for December swimming lessons. If not, we'll probably just go to the YMCA (maybe after a stop at the mall's indoor playground). We also might do some grocery shopping.

Oh yeah-- also housework and homework.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:37 PM

I will be continuing on my journey of decluttering bygones of yesteryear and buying myself some gorgeous, creative space.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:06 PM

We're flat broke, but I have a gift certificate for $15 bucks at Joann fabric so I might use it for the flannel. I'm miffed that they raised the price to $1.49 yd, but it's still better than $5-6 a yard and we use it to make dipes and mama cloth. I'm not getting up at the butt crack of dawn, though.
I also have a gc to Abby's Lane online and she usually has black Friday deals so I'll see if I can score anything good.
Dh works for Wal-Mart and has to go in from 4:30am to 3:00 pm, with only a half hour for lunch. I feel bad for people who work in retail at this time of year. I also feel especially bad for people who had to work at Wal-Mart, Boscov's and other retail shops on Thanksgiving day. That really ticks me off. :

ETA: My friend may be heading to Joann so I may even ask her to pick flannel up for me. That way I won't be heading anywhere other than the farm for milk.
My plans for the rest of the day are eating leftovers, cleaning and getting some Christmas decorations up.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 11-27-2008, 07:11 PM

I'm avoiding the chaos. We need to stop by the library to return some items, so we may check out some more. Otherwise, I don't plan on doing any shopping on Friday. The BF sales this yr are not worthwhile and I went last yr and it wasn't really worth it, esp since you have to freeze you a$$ off here if you wait in line.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:37 AM

I have crafts for the kids to do,
First we are painting picture frames, after they dry they can embelish them
2nd i have birdfeeders to paint

I have 2 afghans im working on that are continual projects that i just want to get done this weekend. They have been dragging on for entirely too long.

I need to sort and box up my holiday helper assignements and get them to the PO this weekend.

I do not need to go to the store.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:59 AM

Dh and I usually go every year. We love it. We get the ads, find what we're getting, and map out a battle plan : . Thats when we get our Christmas gifts for me and him. We know what we're getting but we get a day together and thats the real gift.

Not going this year though, I agree with some of the other posts. The deals really aren't that good this year. A few are decent deals but still not something that I'm going to fight the crowds for. The only good deals are things we don't need and aren't going to buy. There are some nice deals in the CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens ads but those are going on all weekend so I'm going later or on Saturday to get them. May check some online sites and see if I can find some good deals though. Other than that just cleaning house and decorating for Christmas.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:22 AM

Working noon-8. I may hit up the goodwill before work to get some wool sweaters; Pudge is needing some new diaper covers and I don't have as much time as I'd need to crochet them fast enough. Other than that my plans involve sitting at home doing nothing but enjoying my kids and maybe doing some cooking.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 11-28-2008, 06:52 AM

I wasn't planning to go out, but I've found a great deal on a Senseo that I've been dying to buy, and I have a $20 off manufacturers coupon for Senseo, so I'm seriously considering it. But I really, really don't want to. I just want to cringe at how busy I'm sure it'll be.

I may go to Joann's for some fabric, but the parking there sucks so that's doubtful.

I really don't want to go out at all, but we'll see.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:11 PM

I'm observing Buy Nothing Day today. Every year I want to and realize it's the day after I've already bought a coffee or something else (in Canada, it's just another Friday so keeping track of the date isn't as easy as in the US)
Old 11-28-2008, 05:22 PM

other than I bought my special needs son a McGriddle this am for feeding therapy. (He ate 14 bites that were chunky! That's a record! Long story short he cannot move his tongue very well so he's been in feeding therapy for 3 years and it's a HUGE deal that he ate part of this fast food.)

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 12, 10, 8, and 5 1/2
Old 11-28-2008, 06:07 PM

Two of my nieces and a nephew went at 3:45am this morning to Kohls. Their mothers told me at 8am when we went to do a walk to burn off all those calories from yesterday.

I am hosting a fajita and taco feast tonight for the visiting out of town relatives staying at my ILs. Get them out of the house and give my ILs a break. So I went to the local grocery at noon or so. It was dead. They said they were busy earlier but I was able to buy all the stuff to make for tonight. Off to get ready!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 11-29-2008, 05:35 AM

I want to report back on a very successful BF!

I had wanted to go ice skating, and I got to go twice! Once actually on Thursday at an open rink in downtown SLC. So fun! DP, DD and I had a great time!

Then Friday DD has a cold, so DP and I head out alone to the Olympic rink nearby and skated on some funky-hard ice. It was so smooth and strange - you could glide for ages! I loved seeing that winter Olympic space and thinking about the competitions that happened there. The rink advertises that it has the fastest ice on earth. Oh, there was a hockey game going on at the time as well (this place is HUGE!) and sheesh did they stink! Kinda gave me a better appreciation for S. Palin.

Then exiting the Olympic grounds we nearly got T-boned by a guy who ran the red. Mere inches to spare. He had to swerve HARD and I was braced for the crunching sound. Took a year off our lives. SLC seems to positively teeming with insane drivers.

Anyhow, as for Black Friday, I'll never shop again!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 PM

I had a fabulous BF! I did go to the natural partnting store that I was planning to go to and got my free organic wool Babylegs! There were no lines, maybe a dozen people in the store, and no stress.

DS and I then went to a Christmas parade, got to wear some silly foam antlers and also got to go on a miniature horse carriage ride. It was the first ride of any kind that my son has enjoyed, and I fogot to bring my camera. : He loved it though! He was literally bouncing up and down on my lap the entire way. :

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

User Tag List