Trader Joes price list? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know where I could find such a thing online? I have no general idea of their prices and it would help if I knew some prices for basic groceries.
#2 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned

IME, they don't have "basic" grocery items. They've got a lot of specialty items and prepared foods.

You can view their Fearless Flyer on their website: http://www.traderjoes.com/radio_flyer.html
#3 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
IME, they don't have "basic" grocery items. They've got a lot of specialty items and prepared foods.

You can view their Fearless Flyer on their website: http://www.traderjoes.com/radio_flyer.html
What do you mean by basic? I get bread, milk, cheese, yogurt, flour, pasta, sugar, beans, fruit, veg, meat there..

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#4 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 05:51 PM

If you want to PM me a list of basic things you're looking for, I'm going there sometime this week. And I'm in Pitt, so, it'll be the prices at our store.
#5 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolaab View Post
What do you mean by basic? I get bread, milk, cheese, yogurt, flour, pasta, sugar, beans, fruit, veg, meat there..
except I get tofu instead of meat, soy and rice milk instead of dairy milk.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#6 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 06:28 PM

They definitely have staples there. I often stop just for milk, eggs, butter, bread, etc.
#7 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolaab View Post
I've been to three different TJ's in two different cities (well, three cities, but one was a suburb of another). I've seen lots and lots of prepackaged processed foods - some healthy, some not so healthy - but I've never seen, say, a 5# sack of flour, or a 10# sack of potatoes. I've seen a 1# package of Bob's Red Mill organic flour. I've seen loose organic red baby potatoes. Lots and lots of "hippy" stuff (it's where I first found Kashi brand cereal, which is yummy, but expensive).

But I've never seen regular groceries and the prices at TJ's are WAY above even Dominick's/Albertson's.

If I'm looking for something special, like a fancy cheese or salmon dressed and ready to go in the grill, I go to TJ's. But for my regular grocery shopping I go to Aldi's (owned by the same company) or to a local grocery store chain.

And it's not just the items. I'd be perfectly happy eating Fingerling Potatoes (16 oz for $3.29). But I'm not happy paying those prices for POTATOES every day.
#8 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 08:16 PM

I love TJ. I do not use them for bulk shopping, produce, or meats.

I do use them for their fresh salsa, frozen veggies, cereal, some canned goods, some oils, nuts, cheeses and frozen prepared meals. Those meals come in very handy on a busy day when you don't feel like cooking.

This time of year I am all over the peppermint jo-jos. So yummy.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#9 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Trader Joes is our least expensive option for most of the things we eat. That's compared with Whole Foods, Giant, our co-op, and in most cases, even Costco. I can get organic whole milk from TJ's for $5.69 a gallon, which is the cheapest available.

We do eat convenience items such as frozen waffles, which represent a savings for us over eating out, which we would otherwise do.
#10 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Trader Joe's is the cheapest place I can get milk, eggs, cream, canned tuna, almonds, peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut milk (I'm allergic to dairy) and bread (free of additives DD2 reacts to.) It's also the cheapest place for the specific vitamins we use that they carry.

Yes, they sell a lot of packaged foods, but we don't purchase those. If you look carefully, you'll find the "basics" mixed in. How those prices will compare to other local stores will depend on your area. It also depends on what kinds of groceries you're buying- Trader Joe's products are cheaper than similar items in Whole Foods or a health food store, but they will cost more than poorer quality products.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#11 of 67 Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 PM

So sad to not live near a Trader Joe's anymore. The cheapest grocery store around here is Albertsons.
#12 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Trader Joe's is the cheapest place I can get milk, eggs, cream, canned tuna, almonds, peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut milk (I'm allergic to dairy) and bread (free of additives DD2 reacts to.) It's also the cheapest place for the specific vitamins we use that they carry.

Yes, they sell a lot of packaged foods, but we don't purchase those. If you look carefully, you'll find the "basics" mixed in. How those prices will compare to other local stores will depend on your area. It also depends on what kinds of groceries you're buying- Trader Joe's products are cheaper than similar items in Whole Foods or a health food store, but they will cost more than poorer quality products.
I was really curious after this thread last night, so DH and I took our nightly walk to the TJ's 1/2 a mile from us. They had the exact same brand of milk and eggs as Aldi's (owned by the same company as TJ's), but they were $1.00 and $.50 more expensive. They had one brand of flour in a 5# bag, and it was 3x's more expensive than their own house brand over at their sister store. Bananas were priced higher than at Aldi's ($.20/pound more). They were charging $2 for three onions - at Aldi's we get 3# of onions (about 6-8) for that price. These were the prices for conventional goods, not organic. TJ's certainly has the capability of carrying all those goods at lower prices (they do at Aldi's), but their customers are willing to pay more.

Again, I'll say - TJ's is not a good value for every day foods. Though I do love their holiday items for special occasions.
#13 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb View Post

This time of year I am all over the peppermint jo-jos. So yummy.
I saw those. Did you know they have them covered in chocolate and sprinkled with crushed peppermint candies?

We did not buy any, as that would have negated our one mile walk in the snow.
#14 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I saw those. Did you know they have them covered in chocolate and sprinkled with crushed peppermint candies?

We did not buy any, as that would have negated our one mile walk in the snow.
OMG, really? I have got to get back over there.

Llamaluv, perhaps that's true for you but here TJ's is by far cheaper than the alternatives. We don't have Aldi's.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#15 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I was really curious after this thread last night, so DH and I took our nightly walk to the TJ's 1/2 a mile from us. They had the exact same brand of milk and eggs as Aldi's (owned by the same company as TJ's), but they were $1.00 and $.50 more expensive. They had one brand of flour in a 5# bag, and it was 3x's more expensive than their own house brand over at their sister store. Bananas were priced higher than at Aldi's ($.20/pound more). They were charging $2 for three onions - at Aldi's we get 3# of onions (about 6-8) for that price. These were the prices for conventional goods, not organic. TJ's certainly has the capability of carrying all those goods at lower prices (they do at Aldi's), but their customers are willing to pay more.

Again, I'll say - TJ's is not a good value for every day foods. Though I do love their holiday items for special occasions.
That has not been my experience at all, as a regular shopper of TJ's for 5 years.
TJ's is where we get ALL of our basics. I seriously don't know WHAT we would do without it!! It is BY FAR the cheapest place here in Portland to get the basics. (we don;t have Aldi's...and from what I have heard TJ's has better QUALITY products vs Aldi's...you get what you pay for)

A jar of organic Pbutter for under $3...Huge bottles of GOOD olive oil for $7, Grape Seed oil $5 for average size bottle (yes...$5!!!!) Organic Agave nectar for $2.99, organic bananas .29 each, Almond butter $5, Cashew Butter $5, Organic Brown Rice pasta, under $3, local, brown, farm eggs $2.59 per dozen, TJ's brand of cheerios BIG box for $2, Organic Soy milk (without sugar!!) $1.89, Cashews $3.89 for a 1 pound bag...tons of other nuts and dried fruits that are reasonably priced as well....great prices on coffee, they have a HUGE selection and have shade grown/fair trade but we get ours free so I don't remember exact prices...great selection of frozen foods that are EXCELLENT (we don't buy much of that stuff...but it is REALLY good quality) organic Wheat Free Frozen Waffles $1.89 for a box of 8, Butternut Squash $1.99 each,
Tons of fun seasonal treats (peppermint bark OMGsh!!! Yum!)
TP that is made from recycled paper and is unbleached...$3.89 for 12 Rolls!!!
$2.89 for all natural liquid dish soap, $3.29 for natural Dishwasher powder, I also get Laundry soap for a great price, dog food. cat food, nutritional supplements (VERY good quality, and the best prices anywhere!!)
Ohhhh and they have an AWESOME selection of Vino...VERY good prices on that as well. We also get our maple syrup, milk, butter, flour ALL for GREAT prices there.

That is just the stuff that WE buy. They have lots more. I personally don;t care for most of their prices on produce, but I don't think they are higher than other stores around here. I am just a bargain hunter, so I gotta get the best price

I found that SoCal had a really good TJ's as well

Maybe the prices are different where you live?
#16 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
But I've never seen regular groceries and the prices at TJ's are WAY above even Dominick's/Albertson's.

"Regular groceries" is probably a subjective term, regular for me could be something totally different for another... I am in the west burbs of Chicago and the things I buy at TJ's are typically cheaper than Dominicks and Jewel. Some items are not much cheaper or same prices but are higher quality and or taste better than similar items at Jewel and Dominicks. When I go to TJ's I usually buy produce, salmon, yogurt, frozen cherries/berries, coffee, nuts and occasionally various baking items. In my family those are "regular groceries" and are cheaper/better quality at TJ's than what Dominicks and Jewel offers.
#17 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:

:
#18 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 03:38 PM

What basics have people looked for at Trader Joe's, yet not been able to find?
#19 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I think this is going to vary by A- what you buy and B- where you are.

Here Albertsons (or what used to be Albertsons) is my LAST stop. Farmers market being first, TJs being second. Then either WF or Luckys depending on what I still need. I haven't been to Luckys in months.

Our TJs certainly has 5# of KA flour, either white or WW. They also have the best prices for dairy (milk, butter, yogurt) and eggs. Their prices on meat are comparable, and their prices for dried fruits and nuts are much better than anywhere else. I can get a 5# sack of potatoes (or sweet potatoes) at mine. They also have the best prices on cereal (the kind that isn't full of sugar). They also have a decent selection of frozen fruits, veg and meat that are priced competitively (for produce) and better (for meat) than Luckys.

My main purchases at TJs anymore (at this time of year) are potatoes/sweet potatoes (can't find them at the farmer's market right now), baby carrots, string cheese, mushrooms, cheese (cheddar/jack/blue/parm), 3# tubs of honey, flour/sugar if I'm planning to bake, pasta, soda, dried fruit, nuts, frozen veg, dishwashing soap, cat food.

Sure, they also have fancy cheeses, protein bars, plenty of packaged foods and candy. But then so does Luckys.

To the OP - there is no online price list for TJs, and chances are good that their prices vary from region to region like all the other stores. Your best bet is to stop by the one closest to you and see if it's worth the trip.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#20 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There's no Aldi's by me either, and TJ's has the best regular prices on milk, OJ, eggs, yogurt, etc. compared to other local supermarkets. Other stores run sales and sometimes are cheaper for a specific item, but I can't rely on that.

There are a number of items that I can't buy at Trader Joe's, even though they carry something similar. Often this is due to kosher concerns- Trader Joe's own brand of ketchup, olives, parmesean cheese, etc, isn't kosher so I need to get those items elsewhere. Other items I get elsewhere due to allergy concerns. TJ's sells gluten-free baking mixes, but not plain old rice flour (which works out cheaper than ANY ready-made baking mix.) They sell ultra-pasturized (yuck!) goat milk, and cow's milk kefir, but no goat milk kefir. Their selection of kosher meats is very limited and more expensive than other stores. I haven't compared prices on non-kosher meats.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#21 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 PM

Coming from the lady that's only been to TJ's a few times as we don't have one locally

Quote:

I was under the impression that they were an all organic store so there prices wouldn't be the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe View Post
So sad to not live near a Trader Joe's anymore. The cheapest grocery store around here is Albertsons.
That's interesting as Albertson's is one of the more expensive ones here. Fred Meyer and Safeway are cheaper. Albertson's is closer though so I go there for convenience and do my big paycheck shopping somewhere cheaper.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#22 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
I was under the impression that they were an all organic store so there prices wouldn't be the same
They aren't all organic but they are a specialty food store. You have to be careful to read labels for hydrogenated oil and high fructose corn syrup, unlike Whole Foods. The specialty items we buy are cheaper at TJ than elsewhere. I like to get organic yogurt and sprouted grain bread there. We usually stock up on boxed mac and cheese since their organic brand is cheaper than others. I try to go once a month. I usually stock up on coho river salmon (their wild alaskan sockeye has been horribly fishy smelling) and get a bag of precooked grilled chicken strips that are an emergency meal component that I stretch out for two or three meals. I like their frozen asparagus which has been more tender than other brands I've tried.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#23 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
They aren't all organic but they are a specialty food store. You have to be careful to read labels for hydrogenated oil and high fructose corn syrup, unlike Whole Foods. The specialty items we buy are cheaper at TJ than elsewhere.<snip>
I dont think I have EVER seen a product w/hydrogenated oil OR High Fructose Corn Syrup at TJ's in Portland. I have also never seen weird dyes in any of their products. Of course I don;t buy soda or much candy there, but even when I have they have been free from HFCS and dyes. Thinkgs like condiments and cereal and granola bars are all free from HFCS at TJ's where most groceries those things are loaded with it.

Maybe the selection is different in other regions.
#24 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
There's no Aldi's by me either, and TJ's has the best regular prices on milk, OJ, eggs, yogurt, etc. compared to other local supermarkets. Other stores run sales and sometimes are cheaper for a specific item, but I can't rely on that.
This is true for us too and we are on the opposite side of the country. Sure milk goes on sale 3 for 6 at the local grocery store but it's alway 2.29 at TJ's. For us it's basic (not bulk) shopping. I know I'm going to get nice quality at a nice price.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#25 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM

TJ's is much cheaper around here for most of our staples. That's where we go.
No Aldi's around here.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#26 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
You have to be careful to read labels for hydrogenated oil and high fructose corn syrup
I too have never found an item there with either of those items - nor have I found FD&C food dyes in any of their stocked items either.

There are some items that TJ's is cheapest in hands down compared to other stores (Jewel/Albertsons, Dominicks, Meijer, Woodman's are my other local stores - J/A and D are THE most expensive stores in the area):

- Organic butter (beats Meijer's organic butter house brand by .20/four stick package and is also cheaper than the 'name brand' organic butters in the other stores)
- Organic Mac n Cheese - a dollar cheaper per box than Annie's
- Cereal bars - their bars have no HFCS, hydrogenated oils, food dyes AND are only $1.69/box. The Health Valley and similar bars are at least double that price if not more.
- Breads - pitas, tortillas, loafs. Excellent prices and no junk in the ingredients
- Organic applesauce cups - much cheaper than those at other stores
- Frozen organic fruits (especially strawberries - they and Meijer are pretty price competitive when it comes to organic frozen produce)
- Rice Milk - TJ's house brand of rice milk is cheaper than Rice Dream (at the cheapest store) by .50 and cheaper by $2+ at the other stores where Rice Dream is insanely priced
- Organic yogurt (cheaper than Stoneyfield Farm)

Also, their QUALITY for dried fruits and nuts is superb - the price is a bit more for the nuts but there is such a difference. Their organic raisins are competitively priced compared to other raisins.

The only thing that isn't always competitive with other stores is some of the fresh produce - there I have to be careful to pick and choose b/c sometimes the other grocery stores have better values.

Basically, for any organic convenience food TJ's has a better price over the competition at regular grocery stores.
#27 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I've been to three different TJ's in two different cities (well, three cities, but one was a suburb of another). I've seen lots and lots of prepackaged processed foods - some healthy, some not so healthy - but I've never seen, say, a 5# sack of flour, or a 10# sack of potatoes. I've seen a 1# package of Bob's Red Mill organic flour. I've seen loose organic red baby potatoes. Lots and lots of "hippy" stuff (it's where I first found Kashi brand cereal, which is yummy, but expensive).

If I'm looking for something special, like a fancy cheese or salmon dressed and ready to go in the grill, I go to TJ's. But for my regular grocery shopping I go to Aldi's (owned by the same company) or to a local grocery store chain.

And it's not just the items. I'd be perfectly happy eating Fingerling Potatoes (16 oz for $3.29). But I'm not happy paying those prices for POTATOES every day.

Wow I wonder what TJ's you've been to. I do ALL of my shopping at TJ's & I can easily find everything (I don't get TP there). In fact, I save about $40 a mo. by exclusively shopping at TJ's. Our prices are much cheaper than the Stop & Shop or Hannaford.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#28 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZansMommy View Post
Wow I wonder what TJ's you've been to. I do ALL of my shopping at TJ's & I can easily find everything (I don't get TP there). In fact, I save about $40 a mo. by exclusively shopping at TJ's. Our prices are much cheaper than the Stop & Shop or Hannaford.
Ditto that. Shopping at TJ's saved us $40-50 a month compared to shopping at Safeway, and that was buying all organic produce/fruits/veggies and buying a few convenience items like Tilapia steaks and candy that we would never buy at Safeway.

We don't have a TJ's here and I am in serious withdrawal

CPST & mom

#29 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Ditto that. Shopping at TJ's saved us $40-50 a month compared to shopping at Safeway, and that was buying all organic produce/fruits/veggies and buying a few convenience items like Tilapia steaks and candy that we would never buy at Safeway.

We don't have a TJ's here and I am in serious withdrawal
We considered moving to an area a few years ago that didn't have a TJ's

Our grocery bill would have nearly DOUBLED for the things that we buy there. It was actually a small part of our decision to stay in Portland.
I LOVE Trader Joe's!!
#30 of 67 Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
They sell ultra-pasturized (yuck!) goat milk, and cow's milk kefir, but no goat milk kefir.
This is another example of product varying by region. TJs is the only place I can find goat's milk that isn't Ultra-pasteurized. WF only carries the Ultra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
I dont think I have EVER seen a product w/hydrogenated oil OR High Fructose Corn Syrup at TJ's in Portland.
I don't know about HFCS, but check out their frozen fries sometime, they have hydrogenated oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
That's interesting as Albertson's is one of the more expensive ones here. Fred Meyer and Safeway are cheaper. Albertson's is closer though so I go there for convenience and do my big paycheck shopping somewhere cheaper.
Again, difference by region. Safeway is one of the most expensive places to shop around here, only topped out by Raley's/Nob Hill (for chain stores, some of the independents are more expensive, too). If you want cheap, it's Luckys (which used to be Albertsons).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page