How much of a difference does it make on the cities appraisel .. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-27-2008, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
of your home...Does that make sense? Anyways, per our assesors web site on our city web page our home is valued at $212,000. Last year it was valued at $238,000. Now im assuming this is b.c of the economy and housing values dropping. Could I get a higher property value estimate if I hire a appraiser?

we want to refinance as we have a adjustable mortgage, but it is not set to adjust until 6/2011. would it be a horrible Idea to do this now? should we wait out another year to see if it gets any better..

how do the cities come up with these numbers anyways?

sorry had to change that date, its not set to adjust until 6/2011
#2 of 5 Old 12-27-2008, 09:03 PM

When you get an appraisal for a mortgage, the tax-assessed value is only one factor that the appraiser uses to come up with a value for the mortgage. Much more important is the actual sale prices of comprable properties that have sold in you area in the past few months.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 5 Old 12-27-2008, 10:22 PM

I wouldn't pay for an appraisal before you apply for a loan. When you refinance, the bank arranges the appraisal as part of the loan process; I'm pretty sure that most banks won't accept an independent appraisal.

You can make your own estimate of your home's value by looking at recent sales of comparable homes. A pretty good place to start is Zillow. This isn't as good as getting an appraiser to look at your home, but at least it won't cost you anything.

We are trying to refinance right now, so I think it is a good enough time to do it. Rates are low right now. Rates may be lower next year... but on the other hand, we might not be able to refinance next year because my DH might get laid off again, or our property value may go down further. So we want to take advantage of the opportunity now, if we can. If rates drop a lot more next year we can try to refinance again.
#4 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Many municipalities have made property value adjustments as they acknowledge current real estate values. That lower number is saving you money on your property taxes. Don't try to get it changed!

If you refinance, the lender will have your property appraised and that's the number they will use.
#5 of 5 Old 01-02-2009, 02:47 PM

Tax assessments and mortage appraisials are often a world apart, I wouldn't assume they are going to match up.

Likewise, Zillow can be a good starting point, but those numbers are far from accurate. The house next door was listed on Zillow at $342K last week, it sold for $259K this past summer.

Your best bet would be to pay for an appraisial yourself to get an idea but don't expect that your mortage company would come up witht he same number.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page