~January No-Spend Challenge~ We're at the finish line! How did you do? What will you do differently next month? Analysis time... - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#781 of 784 Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the flu the latter half of the month and fell out of it. I need to be better at coming online daily and updating my queue and write more specific goals for next month.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#782 of 784 Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1:
2: $164 groceries. This was our big trip for the month and was actually done on Dec 31, but since it was for this month I put it here.
3: :
4:
5: :
6: :
7: $84 on groceries. I also bought new winter boots with a Christmas gift card, and $50 in groceries on top of what I have listed with a gift certificate. (And I found ground beef for $0.49/lb! I was so excited! I bought 48 lbs!) $25 sitter.
8: $78 groceries & kid clothes & printer paper; : $4 treats I didn't need
9: :
10: :
11:
12: :
13:
14: :
15: :
16: :
17: :
18: :
19: :
20:
21: $187 groceries
22: $5 postage
23: :
24: :
25:
26: $8 outing with the kids :
27: :
28: :
29: :
30: $24 groceries (well, it came to $54, but I used $30 worth of points on my store card)
31: :

no spend:
budgeted spend:
unnecessary spend: :
no drive: :

Household spending: $579/$600
No-spend days: 23/18

Woot! This was a good month for me. A good chunk of my spending (which I didn't include in my total) was with gift cards or store credit, though. Also, dh took the kids skating on the 31st, which meant buying 3 pairs of used skates. I didn't include that since I didn't spend it, and I don't know how much it was.

Near the end of the month, I was planning my grocery list and estimating the total, which I don't normally do. I think I'll try doing that each time now, it helped me keep my spending in check while I was filling my cart.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#783 of 784 Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM

January was my first month of seriously keeping track of what I spent for the entire month. When I was trying to keep track in a notebook, I never kept up with it. So, the first thing I did right was to join this forum!

I overbudgeted on groceries and gas by quite a bit, mainly because Jan. was my first month in a long time to not work FT. I reduced my Feb. grocery and gas budget now that I have a better idea of how much less I drive, depend on convenience foods, etc when not working all the time.

DH and I had a good discussion yesterday re: refinancing our home this spring. He will be putting the last $1K on his credit card this month, which will leave us with only mortgage debt... yay! He wants to use what he was paying toward credit cards each month to put some big overpayments on the mortgage principal for a few months before we refi, but hopefully we will be able to refi by May-ish.

This month I want to continue to cook from scratch when possible, meal plan better, etc. My main weaknesses for unplanned spending seem to be used books, so I will steer clear of Paperback Swap (pd $40 in postage last month!) and Amazon. I added categories for kids' clothing and homeschooling materials, so that I can buy those things in the thrift store without feeling like I'm going outside of my budget.

Also, yay for the cash envelope system! Works great for me.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#784 of 784 Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Jan 1st: $26 Fast Food, $4 Clothing, $130 Groceries
2nd: $6 fast food, $2 groceries, $1 book for DD
3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th: No spend FINALLY!
7th: $11.50 Fast Food, $61 Groceries, $1 Clothing (onesie for baby due in August. )
8th: No spend
9th: $75.16, Amazon, homeschool supplies (budgeted) $3 Fast Food
10th: No spend
11th: $10 Fast Food, $5 homeschool stuff
12th: $38 Groceries, $10 Fast Food, $2 Homeschool
13: $7 Fast Food
14th, 15th: no spend
16th: No spend
17th: $47 Groceries, $30 Chuck-E-Cheese (Hubby's "free" money)
18th and 19th: No spend
20th: Personal Care Groceries (Dipes, wipes, TP, paper towels) $77.50 Food Groceries: $88, Homeschool $26, Clothing $16, Fast Food $26, Christmas $6
21st-24th: No spend!
25th: $13 Fast Food, $260, Grass fed Beef for Feb-July
26th: $7 Fast Food, $30 Groceries, $20 "Hospitality"
29th: $40, homeschool, 20 household groceries, 20 clothing
$62 food groceries

Totals:
$ 119.50 on Fast Food YIKES
$463 Food Groceries
$97.50 Personal Care Groceries (TP, Wipes, Dipes)
$41 on Clothing
$20 Hospitality
$150 on Homeschool
$6 Christmas 2009
$30 Chuck-E-Cheese (family fun )
$143 co-op food for Dec-Feb.
$260 Beef

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page