~January No-Spend Challenge~ We're at the finish line! How did you do? What will you do differently next month? Analysis time... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Prior to Jan, but I do weekly budgeting 16.91 Groceries & 16.34 Gas.
1st 9.04 Groceries

Monthly Totals
Unexpected 0/200
Groceries 25.95/375
Gas 16.34/125 (this is our normal monthly amount, but I'm on maternity leave right now, so I'm expecting to spend much less.)

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#62 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM

a. Who you are
I am a SAHM to two girls 3 mos and 2.5 years. DH is in the military and deployed so we are socking away a lot of money to buy our house in 2009. I have recorded all of our expenses for years and plan to through 2009.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and
We want to purchase a home in 2009 and have the downpayment plus associated costs ready to go.

c. How you plan to get there

I have all my expenses planned for this month and I need to stick with them in order to get to our monthly savings goal. I know DH will spend some money at port so I have budgeted a certain amount for him, but I'm not including his purchases here.

Non-essential purchases: birthday gifts for my nieces $50, care package for DH, gift for my mom $28
Grocery spending: Keep under $300
Key:
No spend
Necessary spending:
Planned, but unnecessary spending:
Unplanned, unnecessary spending:

1/1:
#63 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 08:32 PM

I'm Amanda, SAHW and mom to our three DDs. We are also expecting again and I am due in Aug. I am craving ALL fast foods and it has already hurt our Jan. budget! Yikes!

We have CC debt and school loans to pay off.

$500 per month for ALL food, clothing, stuff for kids, fast food, etc.
I am trying to save $100 of this for our grass fed beef purchase in the Spring.

I joined for the first time in Dec. and only went $9 over budget. Yeah! LOVE these threads!

I did my shopping on Monday, but am counting it for this month:

Jan 1st: $26 Fast Food, $4 Clothing, $130 Groceries
#64 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

a. My name is Prudence -- which is quite ironic because one thing I'm not at all prudent about is money. But these threads have helped me do a 100% turnaround with our finances and now we are out-of-debt and on our way to a healthy relationship (read "adult") with money.

b. This month (and this year, actually) I'm trying to change my ~shopping~ habit. Based on the book "Not Buying It: My Year without shopping" by Judith Levine, I'm going to limit myself to one recreational shopping day a month. Shopping IS recreation for me, so even if I'm going out to buy a snowsuit I'll enjoy it...and inevitably spend more than I intended.

c. My plan is to make a LIST...all month long...of the things I want to buy on my shopping day. That day will be at the end of the month when our bank account is at it's lowest. Anything that is urgent and must be bought before shopping day will be given to DH -- he's a natural no-shopper and he will run into a store, buy what he came for, and leave. This is a foreign concept to me, but somehow he manages.

This list will do two things -- help me prioritize what I want to spend our last shreds of end-of-the-month money on and hopefully winnow out the impulse purchases that I don't want after a cooling off period.

So my goals:

0/20 No Spend Days
0/5 Let the Car Rest Days
0/30 Days without Recreational Shopping

#65 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Okay -- first day of the new year and already I'm out a'spending.

But I'm just going to laugh that off and keep on plugging along. 364 days left in the year, right?

At least I didn't SHOP for the book. It is a reference book and I went right in and bought it.

01.. $5 book at Barnes and Noble

My goals:
0/20 No Spend Days
0/5 Let the Car Rest Days
1/30 Days without Recreational Shopping (SOS: Stay Out of the Stores!)

#66 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 PM

Well, I started the month/year off spending. At least it was a small purchase.

01/01: $3 Hello Kitty Activity book for dd.

Goals:
0/20 No-Spend Days
$3/$100 Money unnecessarily spent.
$100/$400 Saved for the midwife.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#67 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Okay, so dh and I are only spending on groceries and gas this month. No eating out, convenience store stops, coffee, etc. We have budgeted for our regular monthly bills. We're hoping to keep groceries/gas under $600. We plan on paying off our $6,500 bank loan by the end of February.

So far:

1/1/09: $25.00 gas/groceries
#68 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Ok, I'm going to join this year.

1) I'm Cris a homemaker/SAHM. I'm married with a two year old daughter. I have severe allergies and other chronic health issues that require diligence with homecooked "safe" foods. I don't mind spending the extra time and money on high-quality food cause these will get me out of the dr.'s office

2) I want us to become debt-free in 2009. DH has a good job and recently took on a second one. The debt is his (business mostly), but he is terrible with money obviously. He did alright with the budget I created last year and we paid off half the debt, but I really need to take over the finances from now on. My first yearly goal is to create our new budget for 2009 this month.

3) As far as the Jan challenge I hope to not spend any money outside of bills and groceries. I am also turning our change jar into our splurge account to get us through the year. We really don't NEED anything at this time.

01 was good

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#69 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I get Starbucks because it's an indulgence that feels good...Don't get me wrong, I'm going to do my best to abstain this month...
Arwyn -- Good luck to you! When people first start this challenge, it is often eye-opening to see how much you spend in certain areas. You may find that your Starbucks fix is affordable for your family and decide just to budget for it. Or you may find that it eats up way more money than you realized and that you want to find a cheaper alternative. We're glad you joined us!

I fought my own Starbucks habit for a loooong time...now I just budget for it. But I plan on only drinking coffee there...which is $1.80 in my area...instead of what I was drinking...one of those fancy drinks that was around $4. Just buying the cheaper stuff now keeps me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Also, people always talk about eating out. Should we be talking about ways to help this??
Very good suggestion Amy! I need some tips on this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
Oh and am I suppose to make al ist of all the dayslike i see some people did? I've never done one of these before.
Welcome meetoo! Usually we list the date and what we spent money on. Some people like to have their days all listed out before they begin. It is a nice visual to let you know how long you have to go until the end of the challenge. Others just keep adding one day at a time. You can record however you would like. We are a no-rules thread. Good luck to you!

#70 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 10:09 PM

I'm back. Fell off the wagon last month as far as posting goes, but considering it was December didn't do too badly as far as excess spending goes. Having said that I am really going to work hard this month to spend no money on anything other than groceries and bills of course

a. I am Kristine back to being a WOHM on the 7th after a year off on maternity leave. I have three wonderful girls who I am going to miss terribly when I am back at work.

b. Want to pay off some debt from my maternity leave and build up our savings.

c. 1) NO online shopping for the entire month of January
2) No spending other than groceries & bills

No spend days: 0/15

My Key:

- No spend
- budgeted spending
- Unbudgeted spending
#71 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 10:10 PM

January 1 -

No spend days: 1/15

My Key:

- No spend
- budgeted spending
- Unbudgeted spending
#72 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I fell off the wagon last month as far as spending and posting was concerned. I hope to get back on track this month.

January 1st - No Spend/No Drive :
#73 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 11:38 PM

In my quest to be both green and frugal, I am planning on starting to make my own cleaners and such. For that, I need to purchase a few essential oils and some more castile soap. I shopped around and found a pretty good deal ($20/32 oz. soap + 3 eo's).
So do we think this is a necessity? I think it is, but then I wonder if I'm still trying to get my "shopping fix" by making up things I "need". Please weigh in, I need a conscience.

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#74 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 11:52 PM

I took a little "No Spend" break, but I am back now. DH and I are expecting our first baby in a few months, so the belt needs to be tightened up.

My key:

:=groceries
= anything deemed necessary (gas, health and beauty products)
=unnecessary spending
=no spending

1/1-

Proud mama to : Nicholas James born 3/19/09
#75 of 784 Old 01-01-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk98 View Post
In my quest to be both green and frugal, I am planning on starting to make my own cleaners and such. For that, I need to purchase a few essential oils and some more castile soap. I shopped around and found a pretty good deal ($20/32 oz. soap + 3 eo's).
So do we think this is a necessity? I think it is, but then I wonder if I'm still trying to get my "shopping fix" by making up things I "need". Please weigh in, I need a conscience.
I would say no its not a need. I make my own laundry soap and I only use Borax, washing soda and fels naptha soap. The Borax is the most expensive part of the mix and it costs 4.50 for a huge box the fels naptha is 1.00 and the washing soda 2.99 and that will make enough for at least 2 months and I do at least 6 loads of laundry a week. I don't use eo's at all because I like the smell of the soap the way it is.
#76 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 AM

January 1st: No spend day
EARNED $60.48 via E-bay sales.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#77 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 AM

1/1: $9.50/$30 of the transportation budget
$5.25/$250 grocery budget
#78 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 AM

dfunk98 - We get most of our house cleaned using vinegar or baking soda. Super Cheap!

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#79 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 AM

1/1:

1/15 NO SPEND days
1/25 eat-at-home days
0/$600 groceries/household
0/$75 Christmas spending
Eating out total: $0
Unnecessary spending: $0
Grocery/household shopping trips: 0/5

I'm already starting to shop for Christmas 2009. I'll be buying gifts for three people/couples each month, and my limit is $25 each, so $75/month.

I'm not setting a goal for $$$ as far as eating out, I just really want to track how much we spend so I can set a reasonable limit for February.

I'm limiting myself to 5 grocery/household shopping trips this month. I know I went to Walmart at least 20 times in the month of December, and that is absolutely ridiculous. It has to stop.

We're buying 10.5 acres of land tomorrow hopefully (cross your fingers for us!), so I *really* need to do well at this challenge this month and every month for about 30 more years!
#80 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I would say it is not a need. I used to use a vinegar and TTO mix, plus you can do a lot with baking soda.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#81 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 AM

If you have plenty of vinegar and baking soda, it's not a necessity. If you don't, it is.
#82 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 AM

I'm Lizzie a SAHM to baby Belly. My DH works full time well more than full time at least 70 hours a week. I just found out yesterday that I am going to be the distribution manager[a WAHM job!!] for a set of ranches up north for natural grass fed beef. Starting out it will only be like 500-1000 a month income but over time it will grow especcially when they get their raw milk production set up! Even though the income isn't huge it means we will get good natural beef at discount prices!! I am hoping this works because we need to pay off pay day loans and start saving for our house down payment[we are doing rent to own]

Save
500$ a month for down payment.
20$ a month for our next midwife, I'm planning ahead, last midwife broke us.

GOALS
110/425$ - groceries/formula [DD gets BM and formula]
40/250$ - gas[DH drives at least 40 miles a day for work]

1/15 - No Spend Days
1/25 - Eat at home days

-----------------------------------------------------
:=groceries
= necessary
:=unnecessary
=no spending

1/1 -

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#83 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay, I'm going to join!

I'm Anelle, SAHM to 6 super sons and expecting a little blessing soon. We recently moved to Canada and I'm finding staying within our budget almost impossible! We lived on a homestead before and grew our own vegetables and reared our own meat. We had our own milk (and yoghurt; ice-cream; cream etc.). Now suddenly we have to pay for everything and I just don't know how to do it!

My goal is to stay within our food budget.

I'm hoping to achieve this by surfing the Net to find good HEALTHY but frugal recipes. We are used to eating 2 veggies with every meal and a salad.... I feel like I'm failing my family if I don't do this! :-(
#84 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 AM

1/1/09 Spent gift card at target $9 on trash bags and rolaids.... even though the $$ didnt leave my wallet i still feel like i spent $$... but i did good, i stuck to my list and left only with the 2 things i NEEDED and i remebered to use the gift card.

Tomorrow hopefully no financial transactions.
#85 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 01:30 AM

1/20 no spend
1/15 eat only at home in the first half of the month (butternut squash casserole and oven fried chicken is baking as I type )
(bonus! +1 no car use!)

#86 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 AM

1-

and I let the car rest...which is also helpful becuase it needs gas so I can put off filling the tank for one more day!

1/20 No-spend
1//20 Eat-at-home days
Gas: 0/$50
Slush Money: Earned $0/ Spent $0

ot: can anyone tell me how to make selling on ebay/craigslist work? I'm not sure I get ebay...cl I'm probably okay with. What kind of stuff sells?
#87 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 AM

I spent today,but not to much.

$4 to replace the microwave popcorn I ate while house sitting! (ooops)
$5 on Turtles Chocolates for a friend.
$70 for my bus pass (much needed of course)
#88 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Well, yesterday was easy since I didn't leave the house. I stayed here and cleaned out the freezer to make space for more venison. So, 1 no-spend day down, 30 to go! (OK, probably not quite that many.)
#89 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:

For me that would fall under a necessity - but I don't think I'd buy all that. Maybe 1 essential oil (I would get tea tree, lavender or orange for the cleaning/scent properties - but only 1 of them). But what do you need the soap for? I'm sure if you post things you want to make people here can help you find cheaper recipes. I'm with the group that recommends baking soda and vinegar

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#90 of 784 Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 AM

My name is Sarah. My full time job ended as of the first of the year. I will be working part time for the month of January, after that, no work. I will be spending January through May finishing my dissertation and applying for academic jobs. I have to be very frugal with our money, since we're down to one income for that period. I've saved some money to keep DS in daycare while I finish writing my dissertation, but the budget is definitely going to be tight. My Goals:
$33/$600 for food and fuel & misc household expenses
$50 for misc. home improvement/repairs
15 no spend days
$250 to savings
$50 or less on unplanned/unbudgeted spending

12/1: $19 for fuel in my car
12/2: $14 on haircut for DS (it's been 6 months since he had one)

Key
No spend day
: No drive day
Necessary/budgeted spending
Unplanned/unbudget spending
Put $$ in savings

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page