January New Year Pantry Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am SOOOOOOOOOOO in. Our pantry is ridiculous and our freezer is pretty full too.

We'll be eating a lot of beans, rice, pasta, meat and veggies this month - crikey.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#62 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 AM

I put in my order for our side of beef for this year (we get grass fed, non-certified organic from a friend that raises cattle about 20 miles away). She said that the beef will be ready in Feb. I have one freezer dedicated to meat only. When I buy flour, I store the flour in that freezer temporarily to kill any nasties. I *thought* I had a lot of flour to move to buckets to make room for the beef. I had only 20 lbs. But also I realized that I still had 4 whole chickens (also local organic) and 15 lbs. of sausage that I did not have on my list. We'll be eating from the freezer a lot this month to make room and if I still don't have room, I guess I'm going to canning more meat. Just yesterday I bought 10 lbs. of chicken breasts for $1.77/lb., food saved them and put them in this freezer. Maybe I just need a 4th freezer.
#63 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 AM

Yesterday DH bought some fancy cheese, so we had crackers, cheese, bread, and olive oil for dinner. It used up the rest of a box of crackers, so now that's out of the pantry.

Made waffles this morning, which used up the last of a bottle of syrup and DH also used up the last of a jar of peanut butter.

Pulled out a pound of lean beef and some chicken tenderloins from the freezer this morning. I'll brown the beef to use in taco soup tomorrow (dump ingredients in the crockpot in the morning) and you know the last crumbs of tortilla chips? Those make excellent toppings for the soup, so hope to get a bag or two of crumbs used up.

I'm thinking I'll make up the chicken into some sort of casserole for this evening. I need to go search recipes to see what I can do with what we have on hand.

I have a boatload of pasta, including lasanga noodles. I've never made lasanga in my life and so if anyone has a good, simple (plain-no fancy ingredients) lasanga recipe, I'd love to try it!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#64 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I need to go search recipes to see what I can do with what we have on hand.
I keep mentioning it, but try http://supercook.com You add in the ingredients you have to a list and it comes up with recipes for you! It is awesome!

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
#65 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 01:46 PM

I agree supercook.com rocks. It gives you ideas with what you have on hand. I've used it a bunch.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#66 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 02:32 PM

count me in!!!

we are just starting a mini remodel in our kitchen and i'd LOVE to not be constantly bringing a ton more groceries into the kitchen as we're tearing it apart. lol! also, because of the remodel, i'd love to save some money too.

i have a pretty decently stocked pantry and freezers (including large deep freeze in our basement), so other than buying fresh fruit/veggies and milk/cheese/yogurt/etc. i'm hoping to buy minimal pantry items and fish/meat.

not to mention my 2 kids start back to school tomorrow from christmas break, and they take their lunch to school, so this will be a bit of a challenge as well.

mine won't be super strict or anything, but i'm always up for a challenge!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#67 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We had hotdogs for lunch. Not the healthiest, but at least they were organic. I didn't have any hotdog buns, so made some rolls instead. I think this might be my new favorite way to eat hotdogs. The homemade rolls were so much better than store bought buns.

I mixed up a brown rice/egg/veggie casserole for dinner with some zucchini and tomato sauce. That finished off a jar of sauce and helped clean out the veggie bin.

I keep thinking that we are out of food, but am able to keep squeezing meals out of the kitchen. I was thinking that I might go to the store for milk, but I think I'll make some nut milk instead. That should keep me from shopping for another day or two.

Next couple of days should go something like this:

Monday
B -- oatmeal/granola
L -- bean and cheese burritos
D -- chicken, brussel spouts, rice and peas

Tuesday
B -- oatmeal/granola
L -- bean and cheese burritos
D -- lentil and veggie stew with rice

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#68 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 04:57 PM

I really need to work on this month's menu. We're kinda flying by the seat of our pants right now.

Last night we finished up the last head of broccoli from the fridge and a package of chicken breasts. So far today we were able to use up the french bread that I decided not to use on New Years Eve.

Tonight we'll be making tacos, I think.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#69 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Did some baking this weeked ...
- tortillas (with the recipe posted earlier from Group Recipes - we did chili flavored and they were so quick & easy! A new part of my staples, for sure!)
- blueberry banana muffins from the current issue of Everyday Food (I added a handful of walnuts cuz' we had them)
- cornbread muffins w/ cheese
- used a peanut butter cookie mix to make a giant peanut butter cookie that I melted the last of the bag of choc. chips onto and them served it in slices w/ the last of our Cool Whip (getting rid of more holiday leftovers)

:

Hopefully this will provide some good snacks and some lunch box treats for dh until Thursday ...

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#70 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
I put in my order for our side of beef for this year (we get grass fed, non-certified organic from a friend that raises cattle about 20 miles away). She said that the beef will be ready in Feb. I have one freezer dedicated to meat only. When I buy flour, I store the flour in that freezer temporarily to kill any nasties. I *thought* I had a lot of flour to move to buckets to make room for the beef. I had only 20 lbs. But also I realized that I still had 4 whole chickens (also local organic) and 15 lbs. of sausage that I did not have on my list. We'll be eating from the freezer a lot this month to make room and if I still don't have room, I guess I'm going to canning more meat. Just yesterday I bought 10 lbs. of chicken breasts for $1.77/lb., food saved them and put them in this freezer. Maybe I just need a 4th freezer.
We get our side of beef in the next 4 weeks. I have already cleared out a larger shelf for most of the beef plus I need to organize more since last year a 1/4 took up a huge shelf so the 1/2 will take up more.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#71 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 06:55 PM

My DH has agreed to try homemade yogurt as long as I stir some strawberry jam into it.

I need to go lay down for a minute and let this sink in.....
#72 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I forgot- Welcome all the new people to these challenges! :

I notice we have a large group of "mdc trailblazers" joining us. These are the mamas (and you know who you are) who have been doing these challenges for years. I already know who I need to ask for certain things and who to ask for recipes!

One thing I have noticed, I went to the grocery today, spent about $50 on things needed like for the lunch boxes tomorrow etc. I have a lot of baking staples, sweets, and several spices etc in my pantry. DH is complaining he gained weight over the holiday and has kindly asked not to make any cookies. I was planning on making up chocolate chip cookie dough w at least 5lbs of my Tierra Farm choco chips and freezing them. We usually just take out some made up cookies and throw them on a sheet to bake. So I guess I will wait until a few more weeks to feed the freezer with those.

I made pulled pork today. I bought about 4 lbs of boneless country style ribs. I put those in a pan, added a cup of orange juice and a cup of bbq sauce and baked covered for 3 hours at 300 degrees. Its all coming apart and we will eat tonight and freeze the rest for later.

DH took a bunch of things from the fridge and freezer and is making eggrolls. YUM.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#73 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

I made pulled pork today. I bought about 4 lbs of boneless country style ribs. I put those in a pan, added a cup of orange juice and a cup of bbq sauce and baked covered for 3 hours at 300 degrees. Its all coming apart and we will eat tonight and freeze the rest for later.

: Oh, my stars! Does that sound wonderful!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#74 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:

DH took a bunch of things from the fridge and freezer and is making eggrolls. YUM.

This may be a dumb question: Is there any way to make eggrolls w/o eggroll wrappers? I suppose those would be ravioli or pierogi, though, right What I mean, is, do you have a recipe for egg roll wrappers, or do you just use the store bought wrappers?

I love recipes like pulled pork, shredded BBQ chicken, etc. The leftovers are so good for sandwiches. Is that the whole recipe? Any seasonings or spices, or is your recipe really that easy-peasy?
#75 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 08:40 PM

I've never made egg roll wrappers, but http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1616...246205,00.html is a recipe that looks plausible to me.
#76 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
This may be a dumb question: Is there any way to make eggrolls w/o eggroll wrappers? I suppose those would be ravioli or pierogi, though, right What I mean, is, do you have a recipe for egg roll wrappers, or do you just use the store bought wrappers?

I love recipes like pulled pork, shredded BBQ chicken, etc. The leftovers are so good for sandwiches. Is that the whole recipe? Any seasonings or spices, or is your recipe really that easy-peasy?
Hey kath!
:
Well confession time- this is one of the 1/2 dozen things I buy at the store and do not make- eggroll wrappers. Tried to make and they were more like ravoili than anything. DH made the eggrolls and wow yummy! He had a few wrappers left so he stuffed some hersey chocolate inside, rolled those up and fried them. So we had chocolate egg rolls too. The girls liked those better.

&

The pulled pork. Its sooo easy its not even believeable.

Get a baking pan. Pour a cup of bbq sauce and a cup of orange juice in and mix. Add the country style ribs (boneless is easier) imerse the ribs and bake covered at 300 for 3-4 hours. Pull apart. DH likes to let it cool and filter out the fat and then add more sauce. But that is it.

#77 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 PM

Well i strayed from the plan a bit... I had nachos for dinner and used up:
nacho chips, salsa, shredded cheese - all open i probably have more in inventory lol

We have 2 servings of tuna salad left
Never got around to the lettuce salad today...
Working on the hot dogs

Breakfast-mon
Cereal bars

Lunch- mon
PB&J fruit cups

PM snack
POPCORN

Tomorrow dinner will be
Hot dogs
french fries
baked beans
SALAD
#78 of 224 Old 01-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:

um, yum! this sounds seriously good.....and easy! i will have to try this soon. thanks so much for sharing!

we did leftovers for dinner tonight. i wanted to clean out the fridge. and i made m&m brownies for the kid's lunches (and dh's if he wants!).

tomorrow my kids go back to school so i got their lunches all packed tonight.....i fear tomorrow is going to come EARLY after our schedule of sleeping in for the past 2 weeks. lol!

they are taking romaine salads with grape tomatoes and cucumbers, yogurt, string cheese, an apple for one, a clementine for the other, a granola bar & a brownie.

so far so good!

#79 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 AM

Okay, here's what I got accomplished today.

I took inventory of my pantry. While I was doing my inventory I straightened the shelves and did a quick reorganization. Sometimes DH helps me put the groceries away and they don't quite end up where they should be.

I entered in my inventory list on a spreadsheet on the computer. I made a list of the items I usually have in stock and I am out of as well so I can look for sales on those items (and not have to send DH out to the store in the middle of cooking dinner b/c I'm out of something!)

Now I'm busy using that supercook website to find some new recipes. We've gotten into a boring rut of always having the same things. Thanks, herwitsend, for posting it! I've emailed the link to a dear friend who also struggles to figure out what to cook for dinner quite often.

Question: How strict is everyone on expiration dates? My mom always tossed it if it was just 1 day past the expiration but I figure it's canned stuff... it's not like it's good on Tuesday and suddenly goes bad on Wednesday. So, how much leeway do you have on dates?

(I have a can of jellied cranberry that was way in the back that expired 2 weeks ago.)

Thanks,
Beth
#80 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 03:10 AM

We had friends over last night with their 3 kiddos. We had the chicken and pasta (super yummy!) and dp made bread while I was at work.

No go on the bean soup today which is STILL cooking! I put it on at 12:30 and it is now 10! We had received a new crockpot for Christmas and it, quite apparently, does not work. Oh well...we ended up having more pasta and bread.

I went shopping today and stuck to my list and a very tight budget of $50. I went over by a dollar and 72 cents. But included in the $50 was a whole salmon and some seeds for our vegetable garden this summer.

So, we'll have black bean soup with rice tomorrow and I'm all set to pack dp's lunch...I think he'll have a stroke!
#81 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 AM

Dinner - used 1.5 lbs. of chicken breasts from the freezer (froze the cooked half pound for my lunch tomorrow), a box of penne pasta from the pantry, garlic alfredo sauce from pantry, opened a bottle of Newman's caesar from the pantry and bought romaine hearts.

Tomorrow will be NY strips from the freezer (they're in the fridge thawing), a brown rice side dish (I have 13 lbs. of brown rice in the pantry) and steamed broccoli/cauliflower.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#82 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscal View Post
Okay, here's what I got accomplished today.

I took inventory of my pantry. While I was doing my inventory I straightened the shelves and did a quick reorganization. Sometimes DH helps me put the groceries away and they don't quite end up where they should be.

Question: How strict is everyone on expiration dates? My mom always tossed it if it was just 1 day past the expiration but I figure it's canned stuff... it's not like it's good on Tuesday and suddenly goes bad on Wednesday. So, how much leeway do you have on dates?

(I have a can of jellied cranberry that was way in the back that expired 2 weeks ago.)

Thanks,
Beth
The cranberry is fine...
#83 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscal View Post

Thanks,
Beth
Usually that date is "best by", not an expiration date. They cannot guarantee that the food will have the highest quality of taste after that date. However, the food itself is still good. In fact, I have read incidences where people opened a can that was 30 or 40 years old and while the food wasn't the tastiest in the world, was safe to eat. If the can has any rust, dents, or bulges, it is not good.
#84 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I am thawing out a whole chicken. I will roast it and then use the bones for a stock. My kids love roasted chicken. I am thinking making the stuffing instead of potatoes because I am sick of potatoes!

I also need to make beef stock w the soup bones from last year's meat supply.

I have a beef tongue in the freezer as well- again last thing! Any ideas what to do with it??

oops, I think I have the liver as well if I didnt pass that on.

#85 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM

good morning all!

got the kids off to school on their first day back from christmas break without a hitch! no late start and no one forgot anything.....that's success in my house! lol!

for breakfast the kids had cereal and i had yogurt and granola....and coffee!

for lunch i will most likely just grab some multi-grain wasa crackers and top them with olive oil mayo, sliced turkey, sliced tomato, and swiss cheese.....open face style. and have a clementine and ice water with it.

tonight for dinner i'm making an oven baked shrimp risotto and serving it with romaine salad with marzetti's asiago peppercorn dressing for dh and i, and romano basil vinaigrette for the kids. so i have my shrimp in the fridge to thaw.

i don't think i've ever been this organized about meals! lol!

#86 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 PM

I'm so in, pantry is full and there are items in the freezer that really need to be consumed before they become attached to the freezer permanently.

Yesterday I made my own version of a dirty rice... Turkey sausage from the freezer, can of black beans, white rice, onions and broccoli. Simple but tasty.

For tonight I'm defrosting burgers and buns in the fridge. :
#87 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 PM

So far so good! Five days into the month and we haven't been to the grocery store at all. Friends came for the weekend and I was able to use up 3lbs. of chicken breast from the freezer, two jars of alfredo sauce, a whole bunch of mushrooms, potatoes, a bag of stuffing cubes leftover from thanksgiving, a dozen eggs, some languishing sugar snap peas, and a wheel of brie left from the holidays!
Tonight I am thinking soup and sandwiches, plus salad.

Vm9799 would you care to share your baked shrimp risotto recipe? It sounds yummy and I have shrimp in the freezer.
#88 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM

I am embarrassed to admit that I spent $159 at Whole Foods yesterday. I did not buy any convenience foods like the soy pudding and non-gelatin "jello" cups that my kids like, but I did buy brown rice tortillas, veggie sausages, jelly, peanut butter, pinto beans, things like that. My pantry looks like it's overflowing but a lot of it is containers of all kinds of flours--gf baking requires having more than a few! I need to take a good look at it and see what meals I can pull together without having to go back to the store. Oh, except that we're out of all fruit, so I really am going to buy bananas, apples, and oranges. I didn't want to spend the $$ on them at WF yesterday so I'll get them for 1/4 of the price at Sprouts today.

I need someone to come over here and sort it all out for me!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#89 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Okay, I managed to NOT go to the store today. We are having lentil pottage for dinner as well as home fries and sauteed kale. At some point today or tomorrow I'm going to go through the freezer to see what is in there. I keep putting bits and pieces of leftovers in there for dh to take in his lunch, but rarely remember to get them back out. I'm going to have the 7-year old practice writing tomorrow by making a list for me as I pull everything out.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#90 of 224 Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Whoa, my fridge is so bare. I took this opportunity to clean it and now it is like a sci-fi movie when you open it up....hugely white and bright.

I am going to go to the store tonight for milk, apples, onions, carrots, celery, cheese. My kids will be thrilled...we haven't had any milk for a few days.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page