January New Year Pantry Challenge - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 224 Old 01-25-2009, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question, i have a purdue oven roaster chicken that's been in the freezer maybe 2-3 months? It's a normal freezer on top of a fridge kind. Is it still good?

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#212 of 224 Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherE View Post
Question, i have a purdue oven roaster chicken that's been in the freezer maybe 2-3 months? It's a normal freezer on top of a fridge kind. Is it still good?
I'm sure it is. I keep whole chickens (in butcher paper, mind you) in my freezer for a whole year. Even if there is a bit of freezer burn on it, you can cut those areas off. It's just where the meat has lost all its moisture.
#213 of 224 Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherE View Post
I second that. Should be just great.

We have been working the leftovers. And today took some cooked rice and some frozen cuban beans and divvied them up into lunch portions. I have to remember to add salsa when I take them out of the freezer, but it's a healthy, filling and cheap lunch.

We are preparing for a houseguest, so I don't know how much cooking I'll be doing this week.

I'm definitely in for February though. There's plenty more in the freezer, especially vegetables.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#214 of 224 Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 AM

Thanks all!

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#215 of 224 Old 01-26-2009, 02:38 AM

I have more hotdogs them i care to admit to.... I think February is national hot dog month at our house...
#216 of 224 Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 AM

Well I haven't posted much this month but thought I'd update.

We are trying to live out of the pantry/freezer as much as possible because Dh isn't going back to work until June, and we only have grocery money for Feb and Mar, so I want to stretch that as much as possible.

So far it's going really really well, and I've managed to feed us nutritious balanced and yummy meals while stretching the meat.

My exciting discovery this week has been barley. I've found that my ds LOVES it, and it's full of fiber and low calorie to boot!:

Today I made the best rice pudding but with pearl barley. SO good.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#217 of 224 Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 AM

I can see to the back of both of my freezers! It will be so nice to reorganize them and clean them up so that I can use them more efficiently.

We are down to about 6 packages of meat. Now I need to sit down and really think about what we use, then place an order with the local farm for the next few months supply.
#218 of 224 Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

For Chinese New Year (today actually but we did it yesterday) DH made eggrolls again and a tofu stir fry that was yummy. I did hit the grocery this weekend and bought some cabbage for his eggrolls so I will use the remaining for stuffed cabbage for dinner- rice and beef rolled in cabbage leaf. They freeze awesome and are sooo good!

DH made calzones for lunch on Saturday and went to the ILs for dinner and brought home ham which was eaten by Maggie the next morning for breakfast. She literally just took it out of the baggie it came in and ate it.
ALL.
I am down to a few bannanas and 3 oranges. Hopefully my produce delivery will have fruit in it this week.

I need to make up some cookie dough and freeze now that DH is not complaining about his pants too tight from the holidays!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#219 of 224 Old 01-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
: I've got 3lbs of apples that are slightly bruised (now) super ripe and purchased 2 weeks ago. Are they still good. What can I do with them. Bake them?

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
#220 of 224 Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxjourney View Post
: I've got 3lbs of apples that are slightly bruised (now) super ripe and purchased 2 weeks ago. Are they still good. What can I do with them. Bake them?
yummy homemade applesauce...

Very simple just peel them, slice them and put in a pot on the stove on low heat... add a bit of water and simmer... you can add sugar or brown sugar if you like, cinnamon or other fruit for flavor... my kids LOVE homemade applesauce and it makes the house smell so yummy...

You may want to *mash* them a bit for a bit more saucy vs chunky texture.
#221 of 224 Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 AM

Look what I found in my cupboard - extracts!

Lemon
Maple
Almond
Peppermint
Coffee

I need some ideas for using these. We're eating primarily from the pantry and I want to keep things interesting.

No gluten, dairy, or soy, but I'm good at converting regular recipes and even cooking without recipes. Also nothing super sugary - we mostly don't use cane sugar, so using them as frosting flavorings wouldn't work for us. Mostly I'm looking for inspiration here.

I can't buy new ingredients to support this venture. I do have basic baking supplies. I also have spices - cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves. Raspberries, black raspberries, apples, oranges, dried raisins and cranberries and apricots, but no lemons or lemon juice. I have whole almonds but not sliced. I do not have any cocoa. I can make almond milk and I also have coconut milk.

My family would probably not go for me simply substituting any of these flavorings for the usual vanilla in muffins - I need a more exciting package. LOL.

Anyone want to give it a go?

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#222 of 224 Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 AM

And an update - I am trying to feed us completely from pantry, but I did go to the store a couple of days ago. I bought eggs, brown rice flour, vanilla, more apples for the kids, and a loaf of bread for DH (I no longer bake gluten bread, he doesn't like GF bread, and he's home all the time - he eats cheaper options if he can make sandwiches!)

Oh, and I totally forgot, my mom gave us a $100 TJ's GC, which I used to stock the pantry further and get some things I can't get nearby - canned baked beans (DH's favorite "fast food"), organic hot dogs (kids' favorite "fast food" - I guess this was a kind of treat), peanuts for picky DS, bread for DH, multivitamins (nutrition insurance - I figured my mom would want me to get something like that), Oxyclean, and toilet paper. It was very strategic shopping and I only spent 43c more than my GC.

At TJ's I resisted the urge to buy anything sweet or treaty, and I didn't even buy avocadoes. I feel like I practiced tremendous restraint!

I will need to buy eggs on an ongoing basis, but I think we can manage without other stuff for a good long while. We'll see.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#223 of 224 Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 PM

This pantry challenge has been great for my kitchen. My freezer only has in it what I will use for the next week or two--frozen veggies and fruits and a couple lunch containers of leftovers for dh to pack in his lunches. Oh, and some ice cream that we forgot to eat on the 4-yr old's bday last week.

My pantry still has some odds and ends that I haven't figured out what to do with, but for the most part only has what I will use in the next couple weeks as well. I even got rid of a bunch of cookbooks that were in there!

As a result of this pantry shopping, my grocery bill has actually gone down. Not a huge amount, but I spent about 2/3 what I would usually spend. It's the gluten-free pastas and baked goods that get me the most, but they're so much easier than trying to find the time to make my own.

Are we going to continue this into February? I need the inspiration!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#224 of 224 Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

So I continued to go to the grocery etc for various things- when we got back from vacation I needed to go! The result- we have an organized pantry and were able to help a few families out a few times this month with meals. Also tonight, we normally have home made pizza- but we are having leftovers to get rid of them! When I do these challenges or big time menu planning (I keep a calendar to pencil in what we will eat) I have a day every 10 days or so where we have to have leftovers for dinner or all 3 meals. So tonight we have a leftover buffet of:

Chicken/Dumplings
refried beans and tortillas
big big salad w whatever we have in the fridge
ravolis

Tomorrow morning we go to pick up our side of beef.

Some of Next week's plan
mushroom lasagna (saw on barefoot contessa)
beef stew;
chicken kabobs
pizza

I am glad we were able to help several people achieve or make a dent in their goals whether it was save money, clean out the pantry etc!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page