January New Year Pantry Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is to help you in many ways. You can organize your pantry, live out of your pantry, use up and declutter whats in your pantry, or stock up and learn how to use your pantry. Or better yet, save some money to put in the bank or pay off something else instead of using money for groceries.

Some people do it to use things up and only shop for things like dairy etc. Others use it to supplement their normal eating habits. Do what you want and help everyone else. This works great for the no spend mamas as a supplement their challenges!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 03:14 PM

I am in this month!!!
We're moving and I really want to use up what I have in the pantry and freezers so we don't have to worry about moving those extras!

I think we'll be able to do it just buying produce and some dairy.

I'm excited to have some support here!

Mariah
Mommy to Lily & Kane and we're homeschooling joy.gif
Old 01-01-2009, 03:31 PM

:

I'm here, this fits so well into our plans to reduce our stuff load, consume less, and live more simply.

We're planning on picking up some five gallon sealing paint buckets or bins to contain our bulk grains in our newly cleared up under-the-counter space, and I want to pick up some of the unfinished wood "fruit crates" I see in the Michaels craft stores to start storing our onions and potatoes in easy access. On the other hand, I want to work through and get rid of all the spices we never use and the soups we bought "for emergencies" but can't bring ourselves to eat. Not to mention my holiday produced stockpile of sweets.
--
AnnaArcturus
Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 PM

Oh yay! I was just coming here to start a pantry challenge thread! Count me in!

We are super tight for money this month. Basically we are ok but for this month, anything we buy pretty much is on credit. Things will be ok but it's like this because of timing of stuff. So, I'd like to minimize how much goes on credit. Also, we have some debt that I would like to be able to put some extra money towards this month.

Tonight we are having sushi using stuff that we have accumulated over the past year while DH learnt how to make it. He got the last couple of needed items for Christmas. Tonight will be his first attempt - wish us luck!

Martha
Old 01-01-2009, 03:51 PM

I'm in! We are in desperate need of a pantry cleaning and are in the beginning stages of our Total Money Makeover. Any extra $$ we can find (even in the way of not spending) is GREAT!!

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
Old 01-01-2009, 03:52 PM

I'm in. I need to rotate some stuff out. I did an inventory of my fridge and freezer yesterday (havent done the pantry yet). I have a dinner menu planned through the 17th, and the only thing I'll have to buy specifically for any of the dinner meals is some cheese. I'll still be keeping my eye out for good sales, though, to restock.

So, I guess my goal is to rotate old stock out and replenish with new.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:56 PM

I'm in!! I did this two years ago and loved it. My pantry isn't really overstocked, and we don't tend to let things sit in the pantry forever. But, I'll use the opportunity to clean out some pantry clutter and save a little $$.

I will have to buy dairy and some other things. But I'd like to see how we do w/o shopping for anything but produce and refrigerated items for a month.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Count me in! I am also doing the no spend challenge and started following the Dave Ramsey plan so this will complement both nicely. I have already inventoried the freezers and pantry and have enough food to last the entire month lunch and dinner wise. I will need to pick up milk and probably some bread and produce otherwise we should be set for the entire month.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM

I'm in! Things are pretty stocked right now so it would be the perfect time to use up some odds and ends.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
Old 01-01-2009, 05:10 PM

I am in also. I did a lot of home food preservation last spring and summer, so we have a fairly well stocked pantry and freezer. I would love to reduce my food bill and eat up what I have prepared.

Kim
Old 01-01-2009, 06:00 PM

I'm in-- same thing, I need to rotate.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM

OK. Did the grocery shopping today for the next 17 days. Spent $134, which probably sounds like a lot, but, honestly, that includes all our breakfast/lunch/snacks/beverages for the next 17 days, and I picked up some org. meat and cheese on sale that I have now written into the last two weeks of the month. I don't really "plan" breakfast/lunches, because a lot of times it's leftovers (or using leftovers in an omelet or sandwich or smorgasboard plate or whatever), and the rest of the time, DD is content with oatmeal, fruit, cheese, oasta, etc. On weekends, DH does breakfast, and that's already planned in.

Plus, I told DH that this is the ONLY time I'm going food shopping until the 17th, so, he'd better let me know what he wanted before I went, and he through some things on I wouldn't have otherwise bought, but, if having a few of these foods around makes it easier for us to stick to this meal planning, I'm okay with it. For example, he said if I was going to make chili (not a fave of his), could I *please* pick up some saltines? And ice cream. And a few other things. But, honestly, if I can get him to stick to this, I think we will end up spending a lot less on food (because if he drops by the store for 1 thing, he's coming out with 10), and, more importantly, waste less. We'll see.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:05 PM

I'll join in. I received a Foodsaver for Christmas and we have already put it to good use yesterday we took advantage of our local store having an awesome sale on steaks, NY and Top Sirloin. The NY were 2.99 a lb, the sirloin were 1.99. So we spent about $30 on steaks yesterday.

We have a fair amount of everything and I just want to get minimal produce and milk. I currently have been using powdered milk in lieu of fresh for all my baking and cooking because DD drinks major milk and she gets the fresh first.

We are planning a major stockpiling from Costco in a few weeks. If we have enough money, we may get another small freezer. I am looking to clear out some of the items in our freezer, so that we can start utilizing that Foodsaver and rotating out the old stuff.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 PM

We need to start using up our pantry and freezer stock to prepare for a move, so I'm in. Am going to try to limit grocery shopping to produce only, as we rarely use dairy and have some meat for hubby in the freezer. Plus, we could stand to save on groceries, as the holidays took a toll ...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:36 PM

I'm in, though we are trying to build a pantry and freezer stockpile. I just started hardcore couponing and we are trying to cut the grocery budget significantly while stockpiling for emergencies. The plan is to stay under budget while buying staples and rotating through our pantry supply. So far so good, I spent less than $40 today on groceries and saved more than $100
Old 01-01-2009, 10:38 PM

I'm in as the pantry/freezer needs to be reorganized and restocked for the new year. I also need to plan next season's garden. Busy month.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 PM

Well, we had the sushi and it turned out pretty well for DH's first time! Our 2 year old loves California rolls so that is what DH made.

The only things we had to buy were the cucumber, avocado and the crab (which was on super sale at our grocery store last week and we bought some and put it in the freezer in anticipation of the sushi night).

Now all we have to do is make sure that he makes sushi more often so that all the things we have purchased for this don't go to waste and make what we had tonight the most expensive sushi ever.

Tonight I am shredding filing cabinet stuff but tomorrow I am hitting the pantry and the freezer and making some meal plans!

Martha
Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittynurse View Post
Well, we had the sushi and it turned out pretty well for DH's first time!
YUM!

I'm in this month. We need to make sure we are using what we have. I'll probably restock some of it, if there are good sales, but I want to keep using our home canned goods, and use up the odd items. It will be good to save some grocery money - one of the cats goes in for surgery tomorrow. Not looking forward to paying for that!

I have 4 boxes of unopened cereal, so you can guess what we'll be having for breakfast for the next several weeks.

We've been doing pretty well with our leftovers. I can actually move things around in the refrigerator now.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in this month! We have tons of stuff taking up permanent residence in our cabinets, and I'm ready to evict it all. And thanks to DH's hunting, our freezer is full of venison of all kind -- deer sausage, deerburger, tenderloins, etc. We got it processed, and I think it's about 60 pounds all together. I also came across some really good deals on ground beef and chicken tenderloins recently, so I stocked up on those, too. I also have enough bread flour and yeast to make our bread for the whole month. I'll be supplementing with fresh produce, but the bulk of our meals will come from our pantry/freezer.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:00 AM

I'm in too. Some things are in danger of becoming permanent residents in the freezer . . . so time to get creative in the kitchen :
Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 AM

I'm in. I pretty much have a meal plan for the rest of the month, but hopefully I'll get a few more neato ideas again.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 01-02-2009, 05:52 AM

I'm in the no-spend challenge with a very limited grocery budget ( of, like, zilch) so I'll count myself in here as well!

My pantry and cupboards are in need of a good going-through anyway. I'm sure there are a ton of meals just waiting to be realized in there. The only things I will definitely need are WIC purchases and a few other things like bread and yogurt.

Can't wait to see some great things come out of these pantries!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 AM

Okay, I'm going to join! Usually I'm a stockpiler, but I really need to do a better job of rotating the freezers so that's my goal this month.

We're going to eat out of the freezers and I'll shop for limited dairy (we use 2 gallons of milk monthly), eggs, fresh produce, etc.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 AM

http://www.supercook.com/index.asp

I thought this may help us with the challenge! You enter all the ingredients you have on hand and it will help you out with a recipe!

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM

I'm clearing out the pantry and freezer. Of course, that probably sounds like a lot, but when you have a HUGE pantry (well, shelves lining the kitchen - we had to "make" our own pantry!) and 50# of hamburger in the freezer (as well as tons of other meats and frozen veggies) it's a pretty big deal. My goal is to eat mainly from the home and only buy produce, milk, eggs this month. That's not going to happen - we're low on rice and virtually out of pasta - but we're both dedicated to spending as little as we can on our food this month - and actually EATING what we have

I'll be lurking here and tracking on the no spend challenge.

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 PM

I'm in! I've seen this thread a lot around, but never joined....and I've traditionally gone shopping every Tuesday. My goal is to "pantry shop" for the next two weeks, only buying dairy/fresh veg as needed. Thank you for the inspiration!!!! : You don't realize how much food you actually have sometimes, I think.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I need to make granola. I have a bunch of odds and ends and would make perfect granola. I might need to buy oats but that is it!

Tonight is pizza night for dd's brownie troop. I am a leader and we are working on our cooking "try it". So the kids will make dough, spread sauce on the pizza and put the toppings on it. I also will make up a dough for a chocolate pizza. DH came up with the idea- chocolate chips to melt, marshmallows and then whipped cream after it comes out of the oven. 8 1st graders, 2 leaders and a few parent helpers- YIKES!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM

I'm definitely in. I've been working on this the last few weeks but still haven't lowered my grocery bill much.

My freezer's are pretty well stocked with beef and pork and lots of veggies so I'll mostly be buying bread, fresh fruit and a few other small things.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:44 PM

I'm in! I'll still shop for produce and soymilk but keep trying to use up what we already have in the pantry. It's literally overflowing!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 PM

I'm in too! Mostly I need to rotate through what I have stockpiled, but a lower grocery bill right after christmas would be good too.

User Tag List