s/o tax refunds - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 87 Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wrt to the stimulus, the H & R block online version told Dh that he qual'd for 900 so since he only recieved 300, he got 600 added to his tax refund
#62 of 87 Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
Do any of the calculators ask about your stimilus pkg? I just did my prelim taxes with taxcut and you have to subtract your stimilus pkg from your refund.
oh, man. I really hope that's not the case! and what about people who don't get a refund?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#63 of 87 Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitnbugsmom View Post
wrt to the stimulus, the H & R block online version told Dh that he qual'd for 900 so since he only recieved 300, he got 600 added to his tax refund
Taxcut is H&R - so if they added to his it makes sense they would subtract as well. maybe they have it wrong? Could it be? It would be nice if they did but I doubt it. Too good to be true

drummer's wife - that's what my thought was since it was based on 2007 taxes what if you made more in 2008 and have to repay all of it?? I don't know how it will work, but I'm very curious now when people start filing this will probably make a very big stink. I'm wondering if thats what happened to us. We made a little bit more this year than last so did that knock us out of the bracket and we had to repay it?

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#64 of 87 Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 PM

Ours will go into savings. We're buying a house later this year and it will go towards upgrades.
#65 of 87 Old 01-10-2009, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm wondering something, I can not remember if we got 600 or 900 from the stimilus and the IRS website took down the wheres my refund thing and my bank wont allow me to search that far back. How am I supposed to find out what it was? I want my taxes to be in the 1st batch filed.

Seriously?
#66 of 87 Old 01-10-2009, 11:37 PM

do you get paper statements?

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#67 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
do you get paper statements?
I don't keep them, I have enough junk to worry about. I rarely use my checking account so I don't really see the point in saving even more junk.

Seriously?
#68 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 12:09 AM

I dunno then.... they probably expected people to keep the info

#69 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 12:19 AM

You can find out how much your stimulus payment was on the irs.gov site
#70 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJewels79 View Post
You can find out how much your stimulus payment was on the irs.gov site
I couldn't find it earlier but I finally found it at http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...185471,00.html hope someone else finds it useful!

Seriously?
#71 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 AM

ok, now I'm irritated, the IRS said the stimulus wont impact this years refund, but once I added in the stimulus it took $300 away from my refund:

Seriously?
#72 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
ok, now I'm irritated, the IRS said the stimulus wont impact this years refund, but once I added in the stimulus it took $300 away from my refund:

wtf? that just sucks... I'm thinking we got $1800 for the stimulus (though, i honestly don't remember, maybe it was $1200). If they deduct that from our expected refund this year that's messed up. Again, what about people who don't get any money back?

#73 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 02:12 AM

We'll use ours to put a nice dent in our debt. We'll also probably put some of it in the car. The car likes to take our money.
#74 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 02:38 AM

h&r block calc. said $9k back, and I think part of it was a first time homebuyer thing? That's double what we normally get back. Whatever we get we'll be buying a better family car (and donating the one we just bought this week) and then the rest is going to pay bills.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#75 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 03:08 AM

We are due for a pretty huge refund, and it will be going into savings in its entirety to help buffer us before I become a SAHM.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#76 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
wtf? that just sucks... I'm thinking we got $1800 for the stimulus (though, i honestly don't remember, maybe it was $1200). If they deduct that from our expected refund this year that's messed up. Again, what about people who don't get any money back?
Yeah, I'll be pretty p!$$sed if it's deducted from our refund after they said it wouldn't affect it. We really need that money right now and I've already budgeted out what we expect to get. I will cry if it ends up being about half of what we're expecting.
#77 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 AM

I hope we didn't give the government an interest-free loan. We still hadn't quite gotten the right withholdings as of last year, but it was close and the refunds were small. I am really hoping the state is not a refund since I have heard CA is issuing IOUs. I haven't checked this out for myself, yet, though.

In any case, we are working on building our 4-5 months' worth of living expenses up to 6-9 months' worth and will put any refunds we do receive into that account. Our mortgage is our only debt and we already pay extra towards principal every month and we have already fully funded (to the extent of the law) our retirement accounts for 2008. DH's company just lowered the healthcare costs (for them and us) and instituted a temporary 10% paycut for all employees (SMALL firm). (Both take effect on February 1.) DH has an interview on Monday morning and we're thinking positive for all areas of our life!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#78 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 AM

Was anyone else a first time homebuyer last year, and if so, are you going to take the tax credit / loan? http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...186831,00.html

We are seriously considering it, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea in the long run.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#79 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
Was anyone else a first time homebuyer last year, and if so, are you going to take the tax credit / loan? http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...186831,00.html

We are seriously considering it, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea in the long run.
Ouch, I thought it was a flat out credit. I wouldn't do it.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#80 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 03:48 PM

Re: the stimulus affecting your refund this year, here's my guess. It does not affect this years taxes. It did not affect last years taxes. If you didn't qualify for the whole amount last year, or you missed the deadline, of you didn't get it for some other reason, you can get it this year instead.

When you are initially entering your info in a tax estimator, if you don't tell it that you already received your stimulus, the calculator says "oh, well, you can have it now" and adds it. If you then later put in that you *did* receive it, it takes it back out.

Just my guess...

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#81 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milletpuff View Post
Re: the stimulus affecting your refund this year, here's my guess. It does not affect this years taxes. It did not affect last years taxes. If you didn't qualify for the whole amount last year, or you missed the deadline, of you didn't get it for some other reason, you can get it this year instead.

When you are initially entering your info in a tax estimator, if you don't tell it that you already received your stimulus, the calculator says "oh, well, you can have it now" and adds it. If you then later put in that you *did* receive it, it takes it back out.

Just my guess...
I agree : I've put it in all of the calculators and they all say the same, nothing is removed from our refund. It is actually MORE than I expected and nothing changed for for the past year from the year before.
#82 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJewels79 View Post
I agree : I've put it in all of the calculators and they all say the same, nothing is removed from our refund. It is actually MORE than I expected and nothing changed for for the past year from the year before.
thank you! (and Milletpuff)

that makes sense! I feel better now.

#83 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Part of the refund, which we always get because DH's 'bonus' is taxed at like 50% YIKES and most of his pay is bonus, is listed below.

We are going to buy "shade" for the backyard. In AZ you need shade. We are going to get those professional tarps like they have at playgrounds and pools and daycares put in. Otherwise it is just too hot back there and we loose many months of outside time.

We are researching 'fake' grass for the backyard. Probably going to do this as well. The savings from not having to water/maintain the dead grass will pay for itself in a year.

We may set up a 'computer' lab for the kids. Kinda like the Duggars (TLC family) have but not exactly. That way we have a better grasp of the technology area and things are better contained.

The rest is being sent to the brokerage accounts for retirement accounts, college accounts, savings accounts etc.

I have all the docs needed to file. Just deciding if i want to be one of the first to file on 1/16 or wait for my traditional filing date of 2/1.
#84 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 PM
mtm

no refund coming here at all, we may end up owing a bit.
#85 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 PM

Yeah DH and I got to talking about that last night and decided it was probably the program assumes $0 from the beginning. However that being said our refund was still considerably lower than last year.

#86 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 PM

We usually only end up with about $3 from the state So we usually just click the box to donate it to whatever cause they are supporting that year.

For federal, I am just shocked at how much some of you all are getting back! Wow! We don't get much, maybe $1000 back. Maybe not even that much, and we are both working. But we put it towards a credit card usually.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#87 of 87 Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 AM

We both claimed 0, but I assume we'll owe as usual. Not even going to bother looking at it until April 14th ish.

mom to DD 3/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page