Mothering Forum banner

Your Fave Frugal Finds!

5K views 67 replies 52 participants last post by  ReadingMama 
#1 ·
What is your favorite frugal buy? I don't mean things you found once or twice, but things you buy constantly that are always a frugal option. Sometimes I'm afraid to buy cheapy things, because, well, you get what you pay for the majority of the time.

I have to say, my fave frugal body wash is the suave exhale in any of the fragrances. The other suave body washes aren't great- but the exhale smells fabulous. It's about $2. It seems like a good body wash is normally around $6 at my Safeway.

Let us know what yours is!

#29 ·
Speaking of underwear: twice a year, in June and January, Lane Bryant has their semi annual sale on their intimates. I love their underwear and its 5 pair for $15. Its more comfortable than Hanes and lasts longer for me.

And also at Lane Bryanbt get on their mail list. They will occasionally send out coupons for $25 off a $75 or more purchase. I got one right after Christmas when I had gift money. This coupon does not exclude clearance or items already on sale. For $51 I got 5 pairs of underwear (it was not the 5 for 15 but rather 5 for 25 but I desperately needed them), a pair of cordoroy pants, and 3 nice shirts. In Lane Bryant that's a lot of clothes for $50! And since I used to work there I know how different kinds of clothes hold up and was able to pick the best items. Look for those coupons and read the exclusions!

I love the Joanns 40% coupons. I use them at Michael's and Joann's whenever I need something. Makes knitting more affordable now that they carry 100% wool.

For food, I love getting the big Bits and Pieces bacon. The price per pound is so much better and I get a good mix of meaty and fatty so I can use them for different purposes. We love bacon.

#30 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Two buck chuck! I especially like the Shiraz, or at least I did the last time I drank it...

Dar
We have been enjoying The Black Box wines. Their cab is really good and priced decently -- 17.95 for a 4 bottle box. And it lasts forever since the wine is vacuumed packed in a bag.

And I must honest that I cringed while writing the above -- I used to be a terrible wine snob -- but these days, frugality and crazy parenthood win out and cheap box of wine is my new norm.

#31 ·
This is a great thread!

I think one of my best finds was bananas for 5 cents each. The grocery store accidentally got a shipment of individual bananas (instead of bunches), meant for a school or cafeteria and needed to sell them off quickly. It was our turn to do preschool snack, and for that price, it cost me a little bit over a buck for a healthy snack.

I also like going to Big Lots (Odd Lots) to check out if they have any organics. They usually have organic cereal for about 1/2 price. Exp date might be coming up sooner, but overall, I always seem to find some organics there for a great price. Also got a bunch of canned tomato products for cheap there before as well, and Yogi organic tea for only $2/box there too.

#32 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
We have been enjoying The Black Box wines. Their cab is really good and priced decently -- 17.95 for a 4 bottle box. And it lasts forever since the wine is vacuumed packed in a bag.

And I must honest that I cringed while writing the above -- I used to be a terrible wine snob -- but these days, frugality and crazy parenthood win out and cheap box of wine is my new norm.
I second the recommendation for the Black Box cabernet!

#34 ·
What a great thread! My only thing to add is the bulk jumbo bottle of organic no-salt seasoning from Costco. It is only about $10 for the bottle and it is HUGE. I add it to absolutely everything. It is jam packed with a ton of yummy organic spices and dried veggies. It smells delicious and makes soups and casseroles tasty, and super easy. I just shake a bunch in.

#37 ·
I think people have said most of mine--

Buy clearance and save for next season.

Buy durable shoes and clothes for adults so you can wear them for years.

Ask for shoes and clothes as gifts. People like to buy them for you if you give them sizes and brands; it's fun to see what styles people think I'll like (most of the time anyway).

Ask for memberships to museums and zoos as gifts. Again, they're more "fun" for people to give as gifts than giftcards are, and with a membership, it's easier to motivate myself to get the kids out of the house.

Along those lines---public playgrounds.

Trader Joes cookies, wine, and nuts.

#39 ·
It's funny I cannot have people buy me clothes-my mom thinks I am like 2 sizes bigger than I am and buys things that are in turn huge.

On the wine front-Bota Box Shiraz is really good and cheap-I think that the wine is Delicato, the boxes usually say Bota Box or Delicato. That's my fave cheap wine.

I buy olive oil at Costco-for 2- 2 liters it is like 24.00, super good deal and it is yummy olive oil.

A great cheap facial mask-aspirin mashed up with lemon juice, my skin has been really weird after DD and I need exfoliation and healing, aspirin does the trick.

Also I started using Garnier Fructis spray gel and cream gel for my hair because it turned curly when I was pg, and it still is. For me it's kinda funny because I am a hairstylist and always touted how good salon products are, but gosh that actually works and I can get it free many times at Rite Aid.

I LOVE the ELF cosmetics shimmering facial whip, I have them in all the colors and they cost a buck, WOW, I use it for my eye shadow and blush they give a beautiful glow, I cannot say how much I love this stuff.

I also love Neutrogena Healthy Defense tinted moisturizer, I usually get it from Amazon, and use a coupon I can get a 2 pack for super cheap, around $20. It's SPF 30 and has tint , so I use it like make-up. I get 2 of these a year.

#40 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
...I love the Joanns 40% coupons. I use them at Michael's and Joann's whenever I need something. Makes knitting more affordable now that they carry 100% wool....
You can use Joann's coupons at Michael's???

#41 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kathirynne View Post
You can use Joann's coupons at Michael's???
Yes you can. Although, at our local Michaels, they will only let you one coupon for the entire purchase if you use a Joann's coupon. In other words, they won't even take their own coupon if you use a Joann's coupon the same visit.

That said, I never, never never buy anything for less than 40% of at either of those stores. And I'm a HUGE yarn addict.

Also I second the getting remnants cheaply poster. My other favourite thing at Joann's is that if you find a bolt of fabric that is about to run out, you can get the last bit of it beyond what you were originally buying for half off, as it is then considered a remnant.

#42 ·
Clearance!

If I'm going to take the time to go to a store, get the baby out of the car seat, etc, it only takes a few minutes to check the clearance aisle or rack. Frequently I'll find either something I needed anyway, but for way less than usual, or something I had wanted but couldn't justify. I watched clearance aisles for months before finding a white queen sized bedskirt!

I also love seasonal clearance. We don't have much Christmas decor, so after Christmas I spent $20 or so on the 50% off (then later 75% off) sales, getting more Christmas lights, etc. That will really pay off next year!

I also like consignment store clearance... frequently it is so cheap by that point that I can look at it creatively and think about other uses for the fabric, and maybe experiment with turning it into something more useful for me.

#43 ·
I use olive oil to remove makeup, clean my face, moisturize my nails and feet, treat my hair once in a while, and clean off any sticky stuff that finds its way onto surfaces in the house.

I buy rice and other grains in bulk rather than small packets of flavored "side dishes." It really isn't that much more work to cook plain rice with some broth and spices. To make it more interesting, you can brown some thin egg noodles and the rice in oil before adding broth and seasonings to cook it in, and it costs about 25 cents instead of a few bucks.

I almost never buy commercial cleaning supplies (only dish and laundry detergents). Vinegar with a few drops of EO (tea tree plus a nice scent like lemon or orange) does a great job in the kitchen, as does baking soda scented the same way in the bathroom. A damp rag does fine for a lot of surfaces, and a drop of lavender EO on it leaves a nice scent behind after dusting. I also use lavender scented vinegar in the laundry. It's cheaper than natural fabric softener, and much better than the stuff with 20-something carcinogens.

I also use the Suave body washes ;-)

#44 ·
I must admit,I "cheat" and use shampoo as shower gel and double shower gel occasionally,as shampoo, so I don't have to buy two products. I alays buy the Boots Chemist, essential or basics range and get free vouchers for Boots from doing online surveys - so that's a frugal find.
I find the Tesco Night creama nd and eye gel to be very good in their 'e' range and they're less that €2 each!
I only clothes shop (apart from thrist store buying) for new, in sales - with the exception for Bras whch I buy from M&S becuasre the quality is excellent. Best bargain - a pair of black and white crossover strappy wedges for 50c!!!. - While buying winter slippers for my Mom!

#47 ·
I use skype's unlimited long distance to North American landlines and cell phones for $3 a month. It's a subscription - I think you need to buy a minimum of 5 months at one time to get the $3 a month price ($15). So it can replace a landline. You get voicemail for free with that, but could also buy a skype-in number which is a number that people can call and it rings your computer (don't have that so don't know how much that is - they do give you a discount for it though with the subscription).

I use this for work because I do a lot of long distance calling. You obviously need a high speed internet connection. I also have a cell phone with unlimited incoming calling.

They have been coming out with wireless headsets as well, so you can use skype and walk around the house. My next purchase

Amy

#48 ·
Once a month or so I will make the rounds to the discount stores( grocery outlet, save a lot, dollar store, ect) and find the random Organic what-evers and cheep wine.. it's fun to experiment with the wine and cheese,and you aren't out much money if you don't like it. Grocery Outlet is awesome for organic toiletries, often 50-75% cheeper than regular store prices. The cheese is always a good price also.

#49 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post
Hmmm...

Victoria's Secret Underwear...hear me out...I get coupons once a month for a free pair, and about 3 times a year get a $10 off of anything coupon. Not that I go through a ton of underwear, but for free, I don't have to buy a lot, and then with the $10 off, it's $15 for 5 pair instead of $25...I don't think you could buy $3 underwear at Target! So it's a frugal find for me!

I'll try to think of others!
Ditto on Victoria's Secret Underwear! I always buy it on sale for $4 a pair or less, and it lasts at least 4 times as long as the Hanes I used to wear!
Natalie

#50 ·
Love these ideas!

OK my new uber-frugal discovery is Kmart super double coupons. I have done a couple of the events now, and I basically use coupons for whatever is free. They will double up to and including $2 coupons. I keep a big give-away basket of extras for friends, and I donate whatever else I or others won't use to a local women's shelter. Recently I got free catfood, vaseline lotions, packing tape, clearance pine scented candles, swiffer stuff, crest toothpaste, toothbrushes, st ives apricot scrub, tons of makeup, juicy juice....I pay tax.
Couponing is pretty amazing!

I also am getting free/cheap stuff through couponing most weeks at Publix- they have great coupon friendly policies. My fave recent "frees" are Muir Glenn organic pasta sauce (I have a pretty gigantic stock of this now), halls vit c cough drops, 26 cent arm and hammer cleaners (their new green cleaners), and 18 cent Ben and Jerry's!

Oh yeah and Publix always has the mystery penny item on Sundays and Mondays... I try new stuff that way.

#51 ·
Here's a tip from my DH: At deli counters you can ask for cheese or meat ends at a very discounted price. These are the leftover part of the cheeses and meats that are sliced, yet are too small to be sliced further. Many times they'll sell a whole bunch of them if you ask.

#52 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
Love these ideas!

OK my new uber-frugal discovery is Kmart super double coupons. I have done a couple of the events now, and I basically use coupons for whatever is free. They will double up to and including $2 coupons. I keep a big give-away basket of extras for friends, and I donate whatever else I or others won't use to a local women's shelter. Recently I got free catfood, vaseline lotions, packing tape, clearance pine scented candles, swiffer stuff, crest toothpaste, toothbrushes, st ives apricot scrub, tons of makeup, juicy juice....I pay tax.
Couponing is pretty amazing!

I also am getting free/cheap stuff through couponing most weeks at Publix- they have great coupon friendly policies. My fave recent "frees" are Muir Glenn organic pasta sauce (I have a pretty gigantic stock of this now), halls vit c cough drops, 26 cent arm and hammer cleaners (their new green cleaners), and 18 cent Ben and Jerry's!

Oh yeah and Publix always has the mystery penny item on Sundays and Mondays... I try new stuff that way.
I miss Publix!
(transplanted here from Tallahassee)

#53 ·
Also, Walgreens frequently has useful stuff like toothbrushes and body wash for free after rebate, so as long as you remember to send the rebate in on time, you're good to go. They also give you an extra 10% if you get the rebate as a Walgreens gift card, so then you can use that for the next month's free after rebates, and it's like you're making money!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.