Your Fave Frugal Finds! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is your favorite frugal buy? I don't mean things you found once or twice, but things you buy constantly that are always a frugal option. Sometimes I'm afraid to buy cheapy things, because, well, you get what you pay for the majority of the time.

I have to say, my fave frugal body wash is the suave exhale in any of the fragrances. The other suave body washes aren't great- but the exhale smells fabulous. It's about $2. It seems like a good body wash is normally around $6 at my Safeway.

Let us know what yours is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm the only one?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM

I'm thinking!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Queen Helene cocoa butter body lotion. 2-3 $ for big bottle. Love it! I'll check out the Suave body wash.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 PM

Hmmm...

Well, we only buy icecream when it is on sale for 3.99/half gallon for our fav. brand...it's normally about $6/half gallon.

At our Sprouts (like a big farmers market in doors) they consistantly have fruit for 60-99 cents /pound as well as .50 for oatmeal (about once a month)

For hair gel, we just buy the CHEAP L.A. looks or whatever it is! It's probably terrible for our hair, but it works just as well as a $4 for half of the size we get for about $2

Victoria's Secret Underwear...hear me out...I get coupons once a month for a free pair, and about 3 times a year get a $10 off of anything coupon. Not that I go through a ton of underwear, but for free, I don't have to buy a lot, and then with the $10 off, it's $15 for 5 pair instead of $25...I don't think you could buy $3 underwear at Target! So it's a frugal find for me!

I'll try to think of others!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 PM

we have a gf kid and can't afford expensive gf foods, but the $ store near our house sells rice crackers (the small, round, salty ones) and rice cakes and applesauce for 1/3 as much as anywhere else.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
Queen Helene cocoa butter body lotion. 2-3 $ for big bottle. Love it! I'll check out the Suave body wash.
Have you tried the Quenn Helene Mint Julep Mud Mask? Dead cheap and really really good.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Two that came to mind:

1.) I buy coconut oil wholesale and use it for body lotion, hot oil treatment, nail treatment, massage oil (), cooking oil, etc.

2.) I know this is not really frugal since it isn't a necessity, but I get all of my subscriptions/newspapers for free through survey sites.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Library book sales! Children's books are often 25 cents to 50 cents.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:05 AM

We never saw a reason to get rid of our VCR just because DVDs became all the rage, so we still watch a lot of VHS tapes and get used ones for $1.00 each at a local music store. Sometimes even for free.

The local fish market on the pier has haddock for $3.99/pound when it's $5.99-$8.99/lb at the grocery store...and it's not nearly as good!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:55 AM

[QUOTE=AnalogWife;12949259]We never saw a reason to get rid of our VCR just because DVDs became all the rage, so we still watch a lot of VHS tapes and get used ones for $1.00 each at a local music store. Sometimes even for free.

QUOTE]

And my kids cant scratch/snap/break/damage or otherwise break a VHS tape it seems....
Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post
Victoria's Secret Underwear...hear me out...I get coupons once a month for a free pair, and about 3 times a year get a $10 off of anything coupon. Not that I go through a ton of underwear, but for free, I don't have to buy a lot, and then with the $10 off, it's $15 for 5 pair instead of $25...I don't think you could buy $3 underwear at Target! So it's a frugal find for me!

I'll try to think of others!
How do you get the coupons for free underwear?

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
Have you tried the Quenn Helene Mint Julep Mud Mask? Dead cheap and really really good.
Yep. that too.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=1growingsprout;12949436]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogWife View Post
We never saw a reason to get rid of our VCR just because DVDs became all the rage, so we still watch a lot of VHS tapes and get used ones for $1.00 each at a local music store. Sometimes even for free.

QUOTE]

And my kids cant scratch/snap/break/damage or otherwise break a VHS tape it seems....
Can they come play with my kids and teach them a thing or two? I swear if I go into the toyroom once more and find VHS tape strewn about I'm going to pull my hair out!!!

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 AM

I thought of one - the food co-op near me is hit or miss about prices and how they compare to anywhere else, except the bulk section. I bring my own jars and have them weighed empty, then pay by the pound at checkout. The best deals in there are raisins, wheat germ, stone-ground grits, real vanilla, active dry yeast, and stone-ground mustard. They run regular sales on other things as well. These items are 1/4-1/3 of grocery store prices.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM

grniys: I think I either signed up online, or they just started coming after I had purchased something there...can't remember them asking for my address, but sure could have!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachia View Post
Ohmygod, have you tried the Queen Helene Mint Julep facial mask? It's amazing and about the same cost.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
Ack! I didn't read this before I posted. Bad habit I have.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post

You can get 7-10 pairs of Hanes 100% cotton undies in which ever fit you perfer for like $6 at most major stores They last a couple of years it seems

Seriously?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
You can get 7-10 pairs of Hanes 100% cotton undies in which ever fit you perfer for like $6 a postt most major stores They last a couple of years it seems

I was just going to post this plus Hanes has coupons for $2.00 a pack and Target puts them on sale for $5 and sometimes they have a free pair in the package. Honestly, I think they are a lot better quality then Victoria Secret. I got a gift card for there recently and I could not believe how cheaply made their items were.

Heidi
Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
I was just going to post this plus Hanes has coupons for $2.00 a pack and Target puts them on sale for $5 and sometimes they have a free pair in the package. Honestly, I think they are a lot better quality then Victoria Secret. I got a gift card for there recently and I could not believe how cheaply made their items were.
I agree, a lot of there stuff while pretty is cheaply made. I bought my bra's there prekids and they never lasted more then a couple months. Now I buy my bras at cheap places like Kmart and they last at least a year if not 2 and that's with constant use.

Seriously?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 AM

I never buy cosmetics at a dept store or hair products at a salon. Total waste of money. I love CosmeticsCop.com for debunking myths about quality ingredients, "natural" products, and whether a product can really do what it claims. I use store brand Cetaphil for washing my face. It's about $5 for a big bottle. I mix it with baking soda for the occasional exfoliation. I use Oil of Olay Complete moisturizer and sunscreen. I use White Rain or Suave shampoo. It's about $0.88 on sale for a big bottle.

My stove top, stainless steel espresso maker. It makes the best espresso, w/ grocery aisle coffee.

I never buy paper for our printer, or white paper for anything. Dh brings home stacks from his recycling box at work.

We gave up microwave popcorn when we got an air popper from a freecycler. The popcorn is a lot better, and a lot cheaper.

Now someone tell me about a good, cheap red wine!

ETA: I forgot to mention, Milk of Magnesia makes an awesome, super cheap mask.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 AM

organic vanilla beans, cheap, fresh, pliable, really good every time:

http://www.organic-vanilla.com/servlet/StoreFront
Old 01-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post

Now someone tell me about a good, cheap red wine!
Two buck chuck! I especially like the Shiraz, or at least I did the last time I drank it...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 01-10-2009, 04:44 AM

Ditto on the air popped popcorn! I found our airpopper for a dollar at a thrift store and I buy kernels in bulk.
Also- our local fabric store frequently has their remnants for half off- which are already half off the regular yard price- I always stock up to make quick gift bags, little craft projects, or stuff we need around the house.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Two buck chuck! I especially like the Shiraz, or at least I did the last time I drank it...

Dar
I live in NJ, where we can't get liquor in TJs.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder if you can order the wine from online? The shipping might outweigh the savings though

I buy suave shampoo about 75% of the time. My hair starts to get pissy if I use it too much and so I'll just mix it up with something else once or twice a week. (I imagine that'd be the same for me with any shampoo, I think I just need to swap them out occasionally). I think they have a clarifying shampoo...maybe I should try that.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
organic vanilla beans, cheap, fresh, pliable, really good every time:

http://www.organic-vanilla.com/servlet/StoreFront
Thank you for this! :

Traditional Catholic, aspiring to everyday sanctity. Mama to two amazing girls. Wife to my best friend.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:48 PM

Speaking of underwear: twice a year, in June and January, Lane Bryant has their semi annual sale on their intimates. I love their underwear and its 5 pair for $15. Its more comfortable than Hanes and lasts longer for me.

And also at Lane Bryanbt get on their mail list. They will occasionally send out coupons for $25 off a $75 or more purchase. I got one right after Christmas when I had gift money. This coupon does not exclude clearance or items already on sale. For $51 I got 5 pairs of underwear (it was not the 5 for 15 but rather 5 for 25 but I desperately needed them), a pair of cordoroy pants, and 3 nice shirts. In Lane Bryant that's a lot of clothes for $50! And since I used to work there I know how different kinds of clothes hold up and was able to pick the best items. Look for those coupons and read the exclusions!

I love the Joanns 40% coupons. I use them at Michael's and Joann's whenever I need something. Makes knitting more affordable now that they carry 100% wool.

For food, I love getting the big Bits and Pieces bacon. The price per pound is so much better and I get a good mix of meaty and fatty so I can use them for different purposes. We love bacon.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

Dar
We have been enjoying The Black Box wines. Their cab is really good and priced decently -- 17.95 for a 4 bottle box. And it lasts forever since the wine is vacuumed packed in a bag.

And I must honest that I cringed while writing the above -- I used to be a terrible wine snob -- but these days, frugality and crazy parenthood win out and cheap box of wine is my new norm.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

User Tag List