prepaid cell phones & other great ideas for saving $ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-12-2009, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of these ideas I hadn't seen posted before, like

Quote:
Switch to a prepaid cellphone. Cost: $20 for the phone, and maybe $100 a year for minutes. Move the rest of your talk-time to free Internet calls, and stop hemorrhaging $60 a month on a cellular plan. ROI: 500%
from http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...=SecMostMailed

The only thing you owe to others is to behave with integrity.
#2 of 7 Old 01-12-2009, 02:52 AM

The prepaid cell phone is exactly what I do and I LOVE it!!!

I have a cheap but adequate phone that I got for free from a friend when he upgraded.

I have a prepaid account with T-Mobile. I pay $100 and get 1000 minutes that do not expire for one year (so 10 cents a minute). No need to add more points every month, and if I have leftovers at the end of the year they roll over into the next year when I add $100 more to my account.

I carry the phone always but use it only in emergencies, for an easy contact when Denali is at school or with a sitter, for finding friends when we meet up, for traveling, and for "quickie calls" ("Hi honey, I'm at the store: what do you want for dinner?"). I NEVER chat on it, and I let people know that I don't really use the phone for general conversation.

Last year I used 950 minutes, so my whole cell phone bill for the year came to less than $100. I had all the benefits of using a cell phone without a monthly payment or a contract.
#3 of 7 Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for showing how it works! I think I will switch over!

#4 of 7 Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 PM

I love that idea, but how logical would going prepaid be if you don't have a home phone? Would it pay to get a home phone and prepaid, or keep the cell phone? Or one cell phone, one prepaid? I've just been thinking about it, and especially with these economic times (dh is in retail/sales) our cell phones would be one of the first things to go and a 2 year contract is a long time to commit. (Especially when the company rises the price of text messages, I mean .50 per messages is NUTS!)

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack. I was thinking about posting something about this after reading the same thing off of yahoo.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#5 of 7 Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I cancelled my landline a few months ago - am planning to do this prepaid cell as my only phone.

I think it really depends on how many minutes you typically spend in a month. My current, monthly cell plan gives me 450min, and I use maybe 100/month. That costs - hmmm, I dunno, at least $20/month, >$240/year. So prepaid 1000min/year for $100 would save me a ton.

#6 of 7 Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 PM

We have skype for home phone use.About 60 dollars a year for unlimited incoming and out going calls plus voice mail.Bought a pricier phone for it that goes through the router so the computer doesn't have to be on to use the phone.I have prepaid virgin mobile right now for emergencies.I put 20 dollars on that every 3 months.My hubby started traveling for work and I needed to get him a phone for emergencies so I got him a prepaid tracfone because it was the best deal right now.
#7 of 7 Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 PM

We've used prepaids for years. Since they first came out. Right now we also use t-mobile, it cost about 10-15 dollars total a month to keep both of our phones up and running.
Then for our house phone I switched from a Verizon landland to Vonage VOIP. My phone bill went form $65 to $32. It has saved us lots of money that way.

wife to my modifiedartist.gif and homeschool.gif mom to my 3 monkees dd 15 photosmile2.gif, ds13 geek.gif ,ds 9 nut.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page