No spend *year*! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 85 Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
: That is one way to look at it I guess! I'd better start knitting to make my new toys worth it.
That's the spirit! And, just think - instead of shopping, you'll be knitting away all year long! Sounds much more enjoyable to me!!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 85 Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Hill View Post
That's the spirit! And, just think - instead of shopping, you'll be knitting away all year long! Sounds much more enjoyable to me!!

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#63 of 85 Old 01-29-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
: That is one way to look at it I guess! I'd better start knitting to make my new toys worth it.
You could always make me something. Then it was for charity! :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#64 of 85 Old 01-30-2009, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are awesome!

I thought about it more and more . . . for the past two years I have gifted several family members with my socks, slippers, and hats instead of expensive Christmas gifts and probably saved us a bundle of money. The gifts were really appreciated, too. So, I more than earned that needle set.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#65 of 85 Old 01-30-2009, 04:23 AM

I give you all so much credit!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#66 of 85 Old 01-30-2009, 02:30 PM

I've been lurking on this thread and wanted to say hi! I'm doing a mindful spend year. Do I really need it, will it enhance my life, is there something else I could use/ do instead. And it's been really good so far.

We're also trying to use all our gift cards, awardpoints, sell/give away things we don't need and that's been interesting and fun.

It's really sparking some creativity and fun for us.

Good luck everyone :
#67 of 85 Old 01-30-2009, 03:37 PM

One book that really inspired several of us over on the no-spend thread was "Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping" by Judith Levine

Some of us loved it, some of us hated it...but it defninitely made us think about what is "necessary" for living.

It is an interesting account of a woman who tried to do what you are doing. She says she didn't make it, I say she rocked!

You could check it out from your library.

#68 of 85 Old 01-30-2009, 04:04 PM

I just finished reading this book a few weeks ago! It was a fun read, but not as eye-opening as I'd hoped. She seemed to live a very different sort of life than I do. I'd love to see a book written on this premise by someone with kids - maybe someone who was already struggling financially. That would be interesting. Anyone up for writing it?

#69 of 85 Old 01-31-2009, 04:07 PM

So, it's the last day of January. How is everyone doing?

I haven't broken the budget yet, and I'm completely amazed. This hard-core budgeting thing really seems to be working for me. I haven't shopped thrift stores or used bookstores at all. I haven't bought junk food. I did use a couple of dollars I found lying around (that I hadn't written into the budget) to take the family out for Thai food (at lunch, ordering specials with a coupon and with everyone drinking water).

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how I've done so far. I was able to save 14.3% of our net pay this month. Not too shabby, especially compared to last year (where we saved almost nothing).

Hopefully, we'll get a bit of a tax refund soon, too. I just need to make myself sit down and actually DO the taxes!

How 'bout you guys?

#70 of 85 Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 PM

I have been following this thread and I think I may be joining you though I will have to modify things for my family.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#71 of 85 Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 PM

I bought an US Weekly magazine today Since posting on this thread, I've done better I've only bought 1 soda (usually get one every time I go to the store) I had 2 magazines in my cart at walmart last night but put them back So, not perfect but better than normal...The US Weekly is gonna be the hardest thing

#72 of 85 Old 01-31-2009, 10:18 PM

I am thinking of joining this year. I have some hefty debt to pay off and we really would like to buy the house we are living in. We do not NEED anything. Sure there are some things I would LIKE. I just bought dd some sneakers...she NEEDED them. Other than that and the cord of wood that should get us through the rest of the cold season, I am not seeing anything we NEED this year. I am thinking of putting a small 'allowance' aside for dh and I for the year. Something per pay period for some fun. It may help keep us on track knowing we have some fun money.
#73 of 85 Old 02-05-2009, 06:20 PM

Bumping you guys because I like to read your thread

#74 of 85 Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 AM

#75 of 85 Old 02-09-2009, 01:42 AM

I'm doing pretty good. I have only been to the thrift store once and that was to look for jeans for my son. He is so rough on his pants!! Found 2 pairs and a shirt for him. I did buy myself a skirt but it was .50. I didn't look in the magazine section or in the main clothes section. Not doing great on the soda though, need to do better on that. I am amazed at how much money I am saving!!

#76 of 85 Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM

I am officially starting this at the end of february. My parents are visiting and we are doing fun grandparent/grandkid stuff and we have found we are paying to eat out here and there and picking up a few things at stores we wouldn't normally go to. So, I am cutting myself some slack for this month and getting onboard ASAP.
I realize in order to not feel deprived, I am alloting a clothing budget for all of us. New clothes have an uncanny way of making me feel like I am not depriving myself. So, I think $200 a year per person, just putting it out there and having it stated makes me feel like I have 'something' that I can buy that is not 100% NEEDED but truly *is* needed on a different level. Do I sound like I am talking myself into something? LOL?
Anyhoo....this is exciting!
#77 of 85 Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 PM

I'm curious - what are you finding to be the hardest to not spend money on and what's the easiest?

For me, I'm noticing that I'm really picky about restaurant food - so if I'm going to spend the money - it better be realllly good! So it's been pretty easy to say no here. Not spending on entertainment has been pretty easy too - we often have just as much/ more fun with free/ low cost activities.

The hardest has been 'treat/special' groceries and having a full pantry. There's a discomfort level that I have when I don't have certain items (even though it's no big deal to do without) and when there isn't any treaty/special items available at home.

Just curious what you are noticing.

Samm
#78 of 85 Old 02-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm having a really hard time not buying homeschoolly stuff and books for dd. she's only 3.5 but i see some really neat stuff for under $10 each and it's just a struggle! (note to self: fifure out how to go to costco less often.) :

on the plus side, i just borrowed a friends' preschool curriculum for a few days and got up early every day i had it to make copies of every page. saved $70 new price right there. :
#79 of 85 Old 02-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
I'm curious - what are you finding to be the hardest to not spend money on and what's the easiest?
well i was surprised, I thought it would be clothes for me at the thrift store but it's been soda. I used to buy the walmart 2 liters (well I still do buy those for dh but it's reg and I only drink diet) but then I stopped and only bought the 20 oz. I THOUGHT that would make me drink less. But .then i was buying one every single time i went to a store!! The US Weekly is so hard too, but the last 2 issues I was kicking myself over, I could have just stood there read the articles i wanted while waiting in line.

#80 of 85 Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Checking in

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#81 of 85 Old 02-13-2009, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad to see so many people on board! Yeah! It keeps me in line. I was disappointed to find the owner of this blog taking a break though. I guess we are all human, right?

My SIL and nephew just left this AM to return to India. We had been way overspending on food. We did not end up treating them to anything big as far as small road trips and attractions, so I did let them buy a lot of things to try and experience when they were here. We went out to eat twice but stuck to salads and soups, nothing really big. SIL wanted to eat out and she won't be visiting for at least a couple of years, so I felt justified. I sent some small gifts back for my MIL and FIL, too.

Now that we no longer have guests I can keep a tighter grip on the wallet. I am going to redo our grocery shopping list and dinner menu to simply but still provide wholesome food. That's my goal for February. What are some of your things you are focusing on this month? I'm hoping too, that if I focus on my knitting projects (using yarn I already have) and decluttering/organizing our home now that our guests are gone, I won't be so tempted to go out and shop for anything.

As far as what's hardest to avoid shopping for-- I think yarn is the biggie. Dd's teacher just announced she's due with a baby in July and I went ahead and bought some yarn to knit her a baby hat. However it was only like $2.50 for the yarn. I was eyeing the other yarn and trying to restrain myself. SIL has taken up knitting and I was taking her to some yarn places to stock up on good yarn and it was soooo hard not to fill up my basket.

I'm also trying to avoid donating money every time dd's school asks for it. For example they are doing a walk for diabetes, and just sent home the pledge forms. I told her basically that we won't be participating. Sure, we could sponser her for $15 and get the free water bottle. Her teacher said it's really important to do this. However I don't feel comfortable asking for pledges because almost everyone I know is watching their spending, some of the neighbors have lost their jobs even. We have our Smile Train charity that we are saving up for by the end of the year. It's hard though, when the school keeps sending these fundraiser things home! What do you all do about it? I don't mind donating supplies when they are needed like Kleenex, but I don't feel like donating to this charity walk or asking others too.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#82 of 85 Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 PM

I would love to join!! I will be talking with Dh when he gets home today. We have quite a bit of stuff coming up this year like weddings, our baby and planned vacations to visit family, but I think if we can cut out all the "stuff" that we blow money on, then those things won't seem so bad. I've already got most of my diaper stash, newborn to about 6 months done, I just need a few more covers and some snappies. I need to sit down and make a list of what we can spend on and what we can't. I'll jump back on and let everyone know!

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#83 of 85 Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Guess what? We just got our tax refund and the credit card is 100% paid off!!!

We also came up with a grocery/gas budget that will allow us to put money into savings each month. Of course we will have unforseen circumstances this year but hopefully we will be prepared.

#84 of 85 Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Guess what? We just got our tax refund and the credit card is 100% paid off!!!

We also came up with a grocery/gas budget that will allow us to put money into savings each month. Of course we will have unforseen circumstances this year but hopefully we will be prepared.

:::
#85 of 85 Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto4grits View Post
I will be the first to admit I could NOT do this, but kudos to you. I think that is awesome that you are going to do this, best of luck!
Newbie here

I admire all of you who are doing this, I could never do it.
My job required a lot of expenses (think clothes, haircuts, makeup, ...) and quite honestly, shopping is my therapy; without it I would probably commit suicide at some point

But kudos to those that can!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page