Mothering Forum banner

Tax refunds!

4K views 99 replies 68 participants last post by  sunnysandiegan 
#1 ·
Have you filed yet? How much are you getting back? If you haven't, how much do you think you'll get back?

I'm getting $778 from federal and $119 from the state!
: I only paid in $447 in federal, but since I didn't make enough last year to have to file (and would have owed if I did --
: my old job screwed up the paperwork and didn't withhold anything but SS and medicare) I get last year's stimulus money this year!

What are you planning on doing with your money? I'm going to get some much needed household stuff (curtains and paint for my kitchen) and clothing, and the rest is savings/emergency money, which I desperately need.

See less See more
#2 ·
My tax software won't let me file until the update on the 29th, and won't let me calculate state taxes until the 23rd. But, we're getting $1500 back in federal (out of like $1880 withheld). I think state refund should be high too they withheld a lot (over 2k). It's weird, DH took a ton of deductions yet they withheld so much. Ah well at least it helped the gov't somewhat, and it's nice to get it all back as a sorta windfall.

With the refund we're paying our midwife, then paying down a credit card.

#4 ·
Not sure what, if any, we'll get back frm the state sin which DH paid taxes this year, but federal, we know it's a LOT....Its going towards a vehicle for DH and savings and the remainder starts my fund for laminate flooring/home improvements. Assuming DH gets a job by March that is...Otherwise, it may have to go to living expenses at some point as well as a new vehicle.

#7 ·
We never changed my husband's withholding from last year when I was making $30K so we are getting back about $4,000 in overpaid taxes. I'm almost positive that's after the $1200 stimulus check is taken into account, so we actually over-withheld by about $5,000.

Almost no one gets their W-2s until the very last week of January. I'm basing my numbers on estimates from our paycheck stubs.

We are planning on using $1500 for our spring vacation, and the rest will go straight to debt. The $2500 will wipe out our last credit card and most of my small student loan. But we are considering flipping the debt snowball around and applying it all to the auto loan, which has the highest interest rate and the highest monthly payment. I think we will be done with the last credit card before we even get our refund, because DH has been working a lot of overtime and has been bringing home checks of almost double his base pay.

#9 ·
We got back about $6,500 last year. Things are different this year because I changed my withholding and when I lost my job, I didn't have them take taxes out of my unemployment for 3 months, but I don't think it will make a HUGE difference because DH makes more money this year and we have a new roof to write off.

We're paying off DH's credit card debt and buying a new couch this year.

#11 ·
We will be putting a big wedge toward the mortgage and then using the rest to pay off my car.That will save us $500 a month.come sept we will have a $500 school bill so this will be just in time

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Livviesmom0207 View Post
We got back about $6,500 last year. Things are different this year because I changed my withholding and when I lost my job, I didn't have them take taxes out of my unemployment for 3 months, but I don't think it will make a HUGE difference because DH makes more money this year and we have a new roof to write off.

We're paying off DH's credit card debt and buying a new couch this year.
How are you writing off a roof?

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by msjd123 View Post
We haven't gotten any 2008 papers yet, but our state is broke, and there was just an article in the paper yesterday that all state tax refunds will be suspended indefinitely until CA in back in the black.

Whoa. I would so be putting down 10 exemptions on my state withholding form.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by msjd123 View Post
We haven't gotten any 2008 papers yet, but our state is broke, and there was just an article in the paper yesterday that all state tax refunds will be suspended indefinitely until CA in back in the black.

:

We have all our papers already, but there's no point in filing until the state is actually paying. And if they're not paying by April, then we'll probably just file then to meet the deadline.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
:

We have all our papers already, but there's no point in filing until the state is actually paying. And if they're not paying by April, then we'll probably just file then to meet the deadline.
I would file now just to get at the front of the queue. You'll be one of the first people to get a refund whey they decide to stop stealing your money.

#19 ·
No w2s yet but expect a lot back- usually get because of kids and low income. We need a new car and pay our winter gas bill (will be appx.$1000 by the time we get money) also expecting in april and need to buy everything nessicary for him (nothing left over from ds4). Was hoping to save to supplement lack of my income (going on leave in a few weeks) till I get back to work after babe.

But am having a lot of doubts now w/the economony on the plans.Dh just mentioned last night his boss is thinking about laying off people (owns small resturant where dh works) and not sure who this will be.Maybe we should just save all except for the absolute nessacaries.

#20 ·
I have our w-2's I'm just waiting on bank info. Just a couple bucks in interest here and there in our savings and such. So I'll hold off until that arrives.

I looked at the H&R block tax estimator and it says we should get over $7,000 back. I wasn't expecting that much, but they did tax the heck out of dh's re-enlistment bonus, so if it's somewhere in that range I will be so, so happy. Last year we got $400 back from state (we're NOT CA residents, so we file with Indiana and we'll still get our state tax $ back) and I'm hoping for at least that.

So if that's even close to being correct our car will get paid off and once dh gets home I'll be getting me a car! Woo hoo!

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grniys View Post
I have our w-2's I'm just waiting on bank info. Just a couple bucks in interest here and there in our savings and such. So I'll hold off until that arrives.

I looked at the H&R block tax estimator and it says we should get over $7,000 back. I wasn't expecting that much, but they did tax the heck out of dh's re-enlistment bonus, so if it's somewhere in that range I will be so, so happy. Last year we got $400 back from state (we're NOT CA residents, so we file with Indiana and we'll still get our state tax $ back) and I'm hoping for at least that.

So if that's even close to being correct our car will get paid off and once dh gets home I'll be getting me a car! Woo hoo!
I just want to say how much it sucks that you have to pay taxes AT ALL, much less on an enlistment bonus when your dh is in the military. I think all military personnel should be tax exempt!

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
I would file now just to get at the front of the queue. You'll be one of the first people to get a refund whey they decide to stop stealing your money.
This is what we'll do, simply because we *are* expecting a modest federal refund, and I always do the state and federal taxes at the same time.

For us, the state issue isn't the end of the world -- it will probably only be $200 or so -- but I feel for those folks for whom the expected refund would be a big boon. That's only the tip of the iceberg with CA's problems anyway. They're about to stop issuing welfare checks, too -- in LA county, the county will try to compensate as long as they can so as not to completely cut off needy families -- and that is just wrong.

#24 ·
I'm getting a decent federal refund but it's a good chunk less than I got last year so I am little bummed. My state refund is only like $100 but I think my tax guy did it wrong so I am having him re-look at it this week. I'm in CA though so I'm not expecting that anytime soon.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lemongrass View Post
Still waiting on W2s.
:

We're using the money (should be around $5000, give or take $1000) to move and pay off some debt. Can't wait!
:
Yup. We're paying of DH's short term tuition loan for this semester, putting $1000 back into my emergency fund, buying a kitchen aid (a small indulgence
: ), and anything left goes toward cc debt.

I'm just drumming my fingers waiting for those W2's...

#26 ·
I am hoping we finally got the withholdings correct and do not receive a refund.

I'd rather not give the government an interest-free loan.
And, in the case of our state gov't, it may be an indefinite interest-free loan...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.