I love the thrift store! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last fall, I got a pair of (new looking) Birkenstocks at GW for $5.00!! I rarely look at shoes, but these caught my eye and when I saw they were new and my size I snactched them up!!

I got a Black and Decker steamer/rice cooker for $5.00 not too long ago- it looked brand new! That is the BEST rice maker ever (stovetop rice cooking is a pain for me).

Susan- Vegetarian Single Mom to 9 year old twins!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 11:46 AM

birk score! :

I'm dropping stuff off today- need to stay out of the thrift store.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Yesturday I got 4 kissiluvs fitted size O , 2 wraps (one step ahead) size s and 4 Fuzzi Bumz Pockets size L (no inserts ) (but I can make some) for $4.50 ea I have never seen them used so cheap ever! I have been on cloud nine ever since.:
Old 03-05-2009, 04:57 PM

I picked up a romertopf clay pot for $7.50 yesterday! It has a darker patina than my smaller one, but is in perfect condition otherwise!
Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Yesterday was our weekly trip to SA, I scored a sweet little book "1 is one", we're saving it for our spring book basket (it is very springy 25c), a doodle book for my eldest (25c), a wooden airplane ($1.50) a wooden container truck and wooden fire truck ($2.00). The wood vehicles were by Tuff Toys in Salmon Arm, BC and would have cost $36 altogether brand new!! http://www.tufftoys.bc.ca/ My youngest is loving them and has been playing with them all morning!
Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 PM

Today I went to the thrift store and found a Hanna Andersson playdress & leggings - $2 for the dress and 99 cents for the leggings!

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 PM

I had a few minutes after working out yesterday and DH was getting the kids so I went to goodwill-scored big time! I've been needing more work casual clothes (I'm a nurse but doing computer stuff right now and am running out of stuff to wear!): a pair of cords (gap), a sweater (LL Bean), 2 l/s tops, an eddie bauer skirt and a shirt for DS-all for 20.xx! I couldn't believe it! The clothes are all in great shape-the shirt for DS was NWT
Old 03-05-2009, 11:17 PM

I got a Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bag for 4.99. I had no idea they go for $150!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
I found a brand new hotsling today for $1.99! :
that is awesome!

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
Old 03-06-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke-a-bee View Post
I got a Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bag for 4.99. I had no idea they go for $150!!!

omg that is crazy!!! Which one did you get?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:31 AM

Couple of small finds.
The Gas We Pass by Shinta Cho (99c this was actually on my wish list of books to get the boys little ds loves all things poop and farts, lol)
a small wooden guitar ($4.99 little ds is obsessed with guitars lately so this was big!)
the unschooling handbook (75c)
the ultimate book of homeschooling ideas (50c)
Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 AM

Oh, fun finds, Cera!

Yesterday I got socks for sock puppets, two very nice ematernity shirts, and a pair of maternity pants for work. I spent about $15 - not bad for maternity clothes.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 PM

I found three used fuzzibunz.. they aren't the right size for our current kids (who are potty learning, anyway..) But, we will be ttc soon, so they can find a home with me!

$.75 each
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 PM

I am hitting the thrift stores tomorrow, I can't wait!!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I found three used fuzzibunz.. they aren't the right size for our current kids (who are potty learning, anyway..) But, we will be ttc soon, so they can find a home with me!

$.75 each
Ooh I never even thought to look for cloth for the next one.... Good score!!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:34 AM
PJJ

I found a NEW with TAGS Speedo swimsuit for my DD, with discount---$3.

:::::::
Old 03-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
4 very flattish hand-carved wooden salad bowls ( now used for play kitchen plates) for .99

2 stainless steel travel coffee mugs to replace the one dh left behind on his business trip, .99 each

2 stainless steel teapots (the kind you get in restaurants when you order tea) for .99 each. Now used for cows milk/soymilk on the table so the boys can pour their own on oatmeal, cereal or into glasses. (I'm big on everyone serving themselves if possible.)

Spong cast iron meat grinder with suction mount for $6 (been looking for something like this for making sandwich spreads since we gave up processed lunch meats. My blender just wasn't cutting it...)
Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 AM

Got some good scores on Friday. I found a vintage doll crib that the side rail actually goes up and down ($7.50) a really great score since I have been lusting for one since I saw one on someone's Flickr, How to talk so kids can learn book, Teach your own The John Holt book of homeschooling, Do you want to be my friend by Eric Carle board book (all 3 books for $1.25) and a lovely handmade ball (.50c)

pics here
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
I
WTG on the hotsling-I think sometimes they don't know what it is or what it's worth when they price items like that.
so very, very true, I got my Ergo at a thrift store, brand new(older style though) for $2.49. It was priced the same as all the other carriers, like the Snugli. I've also gotten some great cloth items at my store, a brand new fleece stacinator cover, $1.49, a cottonbabies insert for 49cents, and a pack of Dappi pullons, $1.49, and a few Gerber flannel prefolds for 49cents(those are great as stuffings/doublers)
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 AM

I found at the good will: 2 hanna anderson play dresses $2.00 each, a white hanna anderson long sleeve onseie $1.00 (still tags on it), Hanna anderson leggins $1.00 and baby legs still in the package for $1.00. The play dresses will fit dd for the summer the onesie and the baby legs I will put away incase we have another baby. I was so excited, I never usually buy anything at thrift stores because I can never find anything.

That is great about the birkies score!

: Proud mommy to a IVF miracle! (8/07)
Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i got a new Heart-2-Heart sling, my fave carrier (I've worn out 2 already) for $5 last week! Ever since I got a lovely Maya wrap a few years back for practically nothing, I always check the baby carriers at the thrift store.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cera View Post
omg that is crazy!!! Which one did you get?
I can't find the pattern/ style on line.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:00 AM

I went to a Goodwill in our area and spent $100. I got a lot of stuff that was new from Target and a Pottery Barn Kids crib bumper to re-sell.

I have 3 girls and tend to be picky with clothes b/c they have to last. I got the following brands: Nordstrom Kids, Talbots Kids, Ralph Lauren, Gap, Gymboree. DH was amazed at the quality, but I have an eagle eye for the good stuff. You definetly have to dig, but you can't beat the prices on the infant clothes. $1.25 or something crazy.

Mama to 3 amazing girls
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 PM

I need to swing by there again today. We're lucky that we have 4 close to us - 1 is great, one is for-profit and a little pricier but has nice stuff, one is VERY pricey and their kids clothes are awful (seriously I've never seen a pair of kids jeans in there that weren't ripped - and I don't mean a small hole!) but their ladies clothes are awesome, and the 4th is new so I haven't scoped it out much yet. Both kids have jumped up a size and DD is now the same size as her older brother in pants so I can't pass down his shorts from last year this time.

Over the past 2 months I've spent about $150-$180 at the thrift stores, but I've gotten SO MUCH! They have their ENTIRE spring and summer wardrobes plus a few things to tide over until the warm weather is here to stay (DD has few pants that fit! Jumped from a 4t to a 6 in 2 months - OUCH! LOL!).

DH has gone up a size and most his t-shirts (a staple for him) are fallng apart. I've gotten a good half dozen new ones for him that may have been worn once, and they're the nicer ones like Ralph Lauren Polo and Chaps, US Polo Assoc., Nike, etc. - $2 each!

We were able to find DS a headboard for his bed. $4 + a little bit of the tinted Old English and it looks NEW.

Both kids are huge into Pokemon, and I found 6 of the older videos for $1 each - plus I scored a tv/vcr comb for each of their rooms! One had the remote with it and was $19, the other didn't have the remote and was $15. (We're trying everything we can to get them over being "afraid" to be alone in their rooms, they can only watch movies and play the VSmile on them.)

I've also scored a deluxe Breadman breadmaker for $5 (with manuals, etc - maybe used once?), a foot spa for DH for $3 (brand new - it was something he needed), a couple pairs of shoes for me (I'm super picky about this, but there weren't even any wear creases and the original stickers were completely intact!), and thermos's for the kid's lunches. Oh yeah, and a beautiful red and black long wool coat for DD for winter for $5!

I find as a side effect of thrift store shopping I get almost physically ill going into someplace like Dillard's and even considering paying $20 for a pair of jeans for a 4 or 6 yr old! LOL!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Just reading this thread makes me wanna go out thrifting again. I am supposed to stay home today! Stop tempting me!!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 AM

Went to VV today!! Such a good day!! Got a huge lot of kids books, a basket, an MEC fleece coat for the lo and ..........................a train table!!!! for only $18!!!!!! I will post some pics tomorow.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 AM

great finds!

I am always on the look out for LLBean and LandsEnd becuase they hold up so well. I have found several coats that aren't the current style/season but who cares- they are classic.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 AM

Me too! I love thrift stores! The Salvation Army Family Store by my house has kids clothes on sale for 50% 3 times a week. That makes it only $0.60 each! Everytime I go I find 4-5 like-new, in-style, name brand pieces of clothing for my kids.

Kate~ Mama to two.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:23 AM

I was having a good thrift store streak for awhile but lately I've been in a bargain finding slump. I hope that by reading this thread all ya'lls thrifty good luck will rub off on me.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 PM

Today I hit the Salvation Army and found a pair of REI kids fleece bib pants to put under DS's snow pants (he is skinny and gets very cold easily) for $3, a pair of Land's End snow boots for $3, and a handful of gender neutral hair clips to keep his bangs out of his eyes for a quarter. I also found a very good condition Land's End snow suit in size 5 (for next year) for $5 at a church thrift store yesterday. Woo Hoo thift store shopping!!!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

User Tag List