knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow, that is amazing good find.

The other day I got a serger (they promise it works, I sure hope so), 2 EUC outfits for a 4 year old, 2 shirts for my ds and gloves for my dd for 28 bucks

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yeah! Me too, me too.

I love the deals I get on clothes but one of my favorites was DH spotted a Bumpkins AIO for $.50!!!
#4 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 11:01 AM

I found a pair of Calvin Klein jeans for 50 cents at a yard sale.

Love those bargains!!!
#5 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's been awhile since I've been thrifting or garage saling and I actually had a dream I was finding all these great bargains last night!

WTG on the hotsling-I think sometimes they don't know what it is or what it's worth when they price items like that.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#6 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM

I was at the Goodwill yesterday and snagged a big bag of fabric scraps for only $.69!! They're the perfect size for the fabric covered ponytail holders I make for my girls - woot!

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#7 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 12:45 PM

I have found many items that were brand new with the tags still on. Example: a pair of winter boots, boys, perfect size for my ds, tags still on -- $2.00!

I buy my children books from there too (not always, but if I find some god ones)... usually 25 cents/book (gently used). Better than paying full price at the book store!
#8 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 PM

Wow, that's awesome! What a great score!
We use a Brita water filter pitcher, and last week I found a brand new 3-pack of filters at our Goodwill for $4 - and that retails at $15. The package was a little dented, but the filters are individually wrapped so they were fine.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#9 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 PM

Right now I'm wearing little army style pants I got for a buck at a tag sale. They fit like a glove, are super comfortable, and everyone loves them. :
#10 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_my_babes View Post
I have found many items that were brand new with the tags still on. Example: a pair of winter boots, boys, perfect size for my ds, tags still on -- $2.00!

I buy my children books from there too (not always, but if I find some god ones)... usually 25 cents/book (gently used). Better than paying full price at the book store!

Me too. You can find books in great condition for less than $1

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#11 of 93 Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 PM

WTG!! A while ago, I found an organic cotton pouch sling for a friend who was having a baby for $.50. I seriously think the thrift store owners thought it was a baby blanket. It was with all the other blankets, and it was such nice, soft creamy flannel material. I picked it up, and figured I could use it as a fabulous gift!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#12 of 93 Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 AM

http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7189721/color/108775

I just found these shoes at St. Vinnies for $7.00 yes 7 bucks! They are also my size! Were the shoe gods smiling at me that day? All I had to do was apply some polish. Who would give these away? They look brand new and they feel great!
#13 of 93 Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I hit the my fav thrift store yesterday and came away with three J. Jill blouses, a very nice gap denim shirt, a Garnet Hill wool sweater (new with tags), a hoodie and a very cute top for my dd, a Liz Claiborne extremely cute jacket and some misc. sweaters from the Gap. All for $11. I found a cashmere sweater last week at the Salvation Army (for a friend). I think it was $3? I always feel like a kid thrifting -- like a kid on a treasure hunt...
#14 of 93 Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 AM

Ok, you all convinced me, I am getting my butt out of my house today and hitting the thrift stores. I very much need to find a cardigan for my new job, and it is always fun to check out the baby/toddler clothing.

Chanibell, the only way any sane person would give those away is if they received them as a gift and hated them, I am guessing. The shoe gods were definitely smiling on you! That is the score of the month! (year?) I am TOTALLY jealous!!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#15 of 93 Old 01-19-2009, 10:37 AM

They closed the thrift store by my house!!! So angry!

Now, I have to drive all the way downtown... It's worth it, though, but I always walk out of there with stuff I don't really need. Two months later, it's back at the thrift store again!
#16 of 93 Old 01-19-2009, 03:27 PM

I love thirft stores- ours are really really bad. Very rare to get the "Find"!! But I still go hoping for the goods:

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
#17 of 93 Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Drat! I went into town on the bus today, and wanted to badly to go thrifting, but today is a bank holiday, and I deposited my paycheck into an ATM on Friday evening, so the money still is not available. I AM trying to do a no-spend month, so I guess it is a good thing, but I really would like to find a sweater for my new job. Sigh...

#18 of 93 Old 01-19-2009, 06:30 PM

I really really love our thrift store we have here in my town. I go there all the time. So far what I buy from there is: wool sweaters (to make wool longies out of and to make hats), Some really awesome t-shirts for my son, I found these really awesome vegetable harvest dinner plates, books for my son, and I once found a pair of (almost) brand new Doc Marten lady bug mary jane shoes for like $2.00!! SWEEEEEEET. (I also found my son a wooden toddler bed for him there and my mom picked up what looks to have been a hand made wooden childs rocking chair. :

winner.jpgbftoddler.gif2ndtri.gif Catholic Mama to Liam, Rowan and one on the way! Wife to an amazing man. familybed1.gif blogging.jpg

#19 of 93 Old 01-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
Yeah! Me too, me too.

I love the deals I get on clothes but one of my favorites was DH spotted a Bumpkins AIO for $.50!!!
Neat! I found a new Bumkins AIO at my local thrift for 50 cents last week! I also scored a brand new adorable Hanna Andersson holiday sweater for $1.50!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#20 of 93 Old 02-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Reviving this thread as I love hearing about others great thrift finds. I am always at the thrift stores finding some great deals. Yesterday I got some goodies but I am most excited about find a 12oz Klean Kanteen sippie for $1.99!! It was the older one (old logo) and it was still dirty inside, ugh!, but after a good scrub a few trips though the dishwasher it's good as new, aside from a few bangs.
#21 of 93 Old 02-13-2009, 02:35 PM

My husband found a pair of speakers marked for $14.99 but worth around $350-$400 on eBay/Craigslist at a local thrift store this week. They worked fine and everything. :
#22 of 93 Old 02-13-2009, 04:29 PM

That a total kick ass find considering how much those things cost retail. Good for you, mama!! : I'm a huge fan of thrift stores, too. I look for everyone in the family, but mainly for our DS for play clothes. I've even found myself a few cute things from Lucky Brand, Life's Good, The Limited, etc.,
#23 of 93 Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 PM

It's like one of those things that you really have to know to find. To anyone else, including myself, they just look like old speakers. But my husband is really into home audio/video systems and follows collector's items around. He just got lucky that no one knew what they were worth to the right people. I think that is the real gold of thrifting. It is like that painting at Goodwill that was worth thousands of dollars that was in the news a few months ago and no one working there had the slightest clue.
#24 of 93 Old 02-13-2009, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oooh! I'm so envious!

I haven't gone to the thrift or a garage sale in ages. I really slowed down last year, after I put the kabash on buying stuff for the house. Now that we are expecting, watch out!!! I aint buyin' nothing for this kid retail!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#25 of 93 Old 02-14-2009, 01:14 AM

So not really a score but a little half rant here. We went swimming today for the first time in months and afterwards we were driving down to my favorite thrift store and I looked into my mirror and my little guy was fast asleep!! Ahhhh, it was bittersweet as he gave up naps ages ago. So needless to say I had to turn around and drive home to put him in bed. Now I am having thirft store withdrawls as I was so amped up to go. Hopefully I get a chance to pop in tomorrow.
#26 of 93 Old 02-14-2009, 05:34 AM

No thrift stores here that I can go to (we only have one car and its open M-F 11am-1pm) but Ive been some home stuff off of our local craigs-list type site.
This week I got a Liz Clarebone shirt and skirt (its so cute and comfortable and it fits) for 10.00, a pair of gap jeans for 1, a pair of Levis for 2 and an outfit for my daughter for 2. Im picking up a Thomas The Train (my daughter loves the look of the character since hes a train) bath set for 13 and a TV w/surround sound and entertainment center (we are downsizing our TV since we don't watch it and it takes up ALOT of room) for 200. For out here those are good deals.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#27 of 93 Old 02-14-2009, 05:41 AM

I love thrift finds. I bought a pair of Keens for my DS for $5 yesterday! Plus three homemade baby quilts for 2.50 each.
#28 of 93 Old 02-14-2009, 11:17 AM

I bought most everything I needed for new lo at second hand stores (w/the exception of my slings-too hard to find the right size and cds).I think I spent less than $125 for it all- and I mean everything!

I recently found a pair of Heelies for my dd10 who has been asking for them for over a year for like $6.50.She's at a hard size too- 6 in womens and I don't think there is much call for them in adults!
#29 of 93 Old 02-14-2009, 01:31 PM

I can never bring myself to buy shoes from the thrift store-I usually don't even look. It just grosses me out to think of someone else's foot sweat in them. But, then, I do have kind of an anti-foot-fetish.

Mommy to kids

#30 of 93 Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 PM

I don't usually buy shoes at the thirft store but the heelies were an exception and were in great shape.My dd thought nothing of them being used and she's the one that has to wear them! And kids feet grow so fast (at least mine do) they need a new pair every three months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page