Help talk me down -- I want a big screen TV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have one tiny CRT 11 inch TV -- pink and purple, Disney princess style. The picture is bad -- so bad we have to sit just a couple of feet away from it to see anything.

I am obsessed with getting a big screen TV with our tax refund, instead of socking it away or paying off debt.

Lets see -- I could pay down our car note or get a functional TV set.

Hmmm....

see what I mean? Talk me down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could probably get a bigger (not wide-screen, maybe, but bigger & better than what you have) TV on Freecycle and not have to think about touching your refund!

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#3 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM

There was an article in our paper just yesterday or the day before about how loads of tvs are being donated right now to good will and places like that, because lots of people are upgrading to digital hi-def sets in anticipation of the tv signal switch. You can probably find a great deal on a bigger, nicer tv than what you have without breaking the bank if you look around at local thrift stores.
#4 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
You could probably get a bigger (not wide-screen, maybe, but bigger & better than what you have) TV on Freecycle and not have to think about touching your refund!
Yep. Or at the very least cheaper on craigslist.

Don't do it!!!

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#5 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM

I bought an "old" tube TV (not HD ready) at the thift store for $20 on Saturday and it came with a remote too.

I want a flat screen TV, just don't want to pay the price when a $20 TV will do the same thing.
#6 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 12:20 PM

I'd just go with Craigslist.

With Freecycle, the TV is probably broke somehow or older than time itself.
#7 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 PM

We have a super big screen and I love it. No reason to go to the movies when we have a 73 inch screen in the media room.
But we waited until we could really afford it.

Definitely look on craigslist for a decently working tv. We are about to post 2 pretty large but not flat screen tvs for sale (DH just needs to upload the photos) and we won't be asking for very much money. I think one is 32 inches and one is 26. They are those big heavy old tvs but they still work. The larger one we are going to try to sell with the matching armoire, so hopefully we will get some money for the furniture. The other tv, I'll probably ask for $50, but if I find someone willing to pick it up I'll probably let it go for free.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#8 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Urgh. We bought one when we sold our last house and made a nice profit, and that TV has been a stinking anchor. I don't watch TV that much in the first place, but DH does. Anyway, the problem is that it's super expensive to repair (we got the warranty extended and have used the heck out of it, thank goodness the repairs have been covered). Also, it is so massive that it fills up our living room. In retrospect, we should have got a smaller, wall-mounted version so that we could have that space back in our house.

What about a 32-incher?
#9 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Definitely check out thrift stores. We found a very nice 27" TV at a local Goodwill for $36. We've had it for amost a year now and it's still working great.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#10 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Another vote for Craigslist!

You don't have to give up on your dreams entirely, maybe just modify what you want to fit your budget. There's got to be a happy medium somewhere.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#11 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 01:36 PM

Your car loan costs you more in interest the longer you keep it. TVs on the other hand keep going down in price as newer/bigger models come out. It definitely makes more sense to put the money towards the loan.

Did that help?
#12 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 PM

Is your car loan your only debt? If so, and it's a reasonable amount I'd buy a small (not huge!) tv on sale and then put the rest towards the car. But if you have other debt I'd get a super cheap or free one somewhere and pay down the debt.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#13 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 01:46 PM

With a 11" tv, anything bigger will seem huge.lol Not sure how much of a refund you're expecting but for a $200-$300 you could get a decent small widescreen that will seem huge. the smaller the room it goes in the smaller the widescreen you need.
#14 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM

I would try CL definitely-we just bought a y/o 32 inch flat panel for $250, and it is great-we really do love it, it wasn't the exact TV we would have bought, but the price was right and it ended up being our Christmas present from DH's bonus.

Go on CL and click on electronics is you area-I bet there is one on there. Our CL has a couple nice ones on there right now.

Also as other said checking out the thrift stores, my SIL just got a 27 inch TV and VCR for free at our local senior center. They needed a VCR for all of her children's movies. Got it for free.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#15 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM

I'll ditto the craigslist/freecycle suggestion, and just but a digital converter.
#16 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 02:26 PM

I would definitely get another tv in your situation-but you don't need a big screen!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#17 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Just think how goooood it will feel to pay off that car early!

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#18 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Don't buy new right now. With the Super Bowl coming up soon, people are dumping their old televisions and buying bigger/better/newer ones so you could pick theirs up for pennies on the dollar on CL

If you are set on buying a new one, I'd go soon because of the amazing SB deals. Also, how big? Make sure you scale to your room.

I know it's not helpful, but we love our big t.v. :

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#19 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattyCat View Post
There was an article in our paper just yesterday or the day before about how loads of tvs are being donated right now to good will and places like that, because lots of people are upgrading to digital hi-def sets in anticipation of the tv signal switch. You can probably find a great deal on a bigger, nicer tv than what you have without breaking the bank if you look around at local thrift stores.
This is totally true. Our Goodwills generally charge $20-$30 (at most) for a decent-sized television.

Every so often, dh angles for a bigger TV (ours is either a 25 inch or a 27 inch - can't remember), but I just don't want the television to be the focal point of the living room. I'm completely happy with the one we have.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#20 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
We have a super big screen and I love it. No reason to go to the movies when we have a 73 inch screen in the media room.
But we waited until we could really afford it.
: we too really love ours. and while i won't apologize for that, i will say to look around for the very best deal you can find.....and there are plenty out there with both super bowl so close and the deadline for the hd conversion. and if you really can't afford it right now, then definitely check craigslist. i don't remember what it was like to not have an instant movie theater right in my own home. we are huge movie buffs (kids included), and we host a ton of football "game nights" and "movie nights" with our bible study, so for us it has been a wonderful investment!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#21 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Don't discount Freecycle. I gave away our perfectly good TV via Freecycle because someone gave us a newer and bigger one for free, and we didn't want two. And we didn't want to bother selling our old on on CL.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#22 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
Don't discount Freecycle. I gave away our perfectly good TV via Freecycle because someone gave us a newer and bigger one for free, and we didn't want two. And we didn't want to bother selling our old on on CL.
Yep, me too! Last year I gave away a tv that was either 24" of 27"- I can't remember which- and works perfectly. Because we got a new one and I believe in passing good fortune along and you get what you give and all that good, mushy stuff. Some people may be buying new tv's right now for SB and giving old ones away. So I would check that out, too.

And the pp who mentioned scaling your room has a great point. We came thisclose to buying a 50" last year, but there was an amazing sale on a 42" so we got that instead- and ended up being very glad we did because the 42" fits our living room perfectly, and the 50" would have been a bit over the top.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#23 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 PM

If you can't find a used one, get a 32-35" from walmart (or target ot best buy or whatever) for around $200. Don't go big screen, it's really a waste.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#24 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Dragon View Post
Don't go big screen, it's really a waste.
That's definitely a matter of opinion. We love ours and our family room is very large so it fits well.

Gone but not fogotten.
#25 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 07:01 PM

We've gotten two 27 inch tvs for *free* in the past 4 years without even looking. The guy who gave us the second one, is hoping to buy a wide screen in the next year, so we might just get his flat screen.

My point: don't pay money for a tv (until you can afford to).

me, 28 & dh, 32.
#26 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah8Jane View Post
My point: don't pay money for a tv (until you can afford to).
:

Gone but not fogotten.
#27 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Dragon View Post
If you can't find a used one, get a 32-35" from walmart (or target ot best buy or whatever) for around $200. Don't go big screen, it's really a waste.
I disagree that its a 'waste'. Somewhat, it depends on the room - a 57" television is pretty silly in a 10x12 living room, but a 32" one looks pretty lost in a 15x24 room. However, while I don't think its a 'waste', I do think its not a necessary expense (not matter what the room size is) and if this isn't the time to be spending all that extra money, don't do it.

A 32-35" tv for a few hundred dollars would be a reasonable upgrade, especially if you are frugal in other areas and use the TV in lieu of more expensive entertainment, like watching movies at home instead of going to the movies or out to dinner, etc.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#28 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 PM

I love my big screen so I'm no help

Until you can afford a TV you'll be totally satisfied with for at least 3-5 years and not want to upgrade (or need to upgrade) just go with a used TV from craigslist thats decent.

Dh wants a bigger TV with upgrades from our current TV but we're going to be very careful with a substantial tax return and throw half on a credit card and half in saving (and actually save it!).

On the other hand. If you don't have much for debt, have a secure income, can pay your bills with ease, and have money in savings for emergencies then go buy yourself a TV already!!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#29 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo View Post
I disagree that its a 'waste'. Somewhat, it depends on the room - a 57" television is pretty silly in a 10x12 living room, but a 32" one looks pretty lost in a 15x24 room. However, while I don't think its a 'waste', I do think its not a necessary expense (not matter what the room size is) and if this isn't the time to be spending all that extra money, don't do it.

A 32-35" tv for a few hundred dollars would be a reasonable upgrade, especially if you are frugal in other areas and use the TV in lieu of more expensive entertainment, like watching movies at home instead of going to the movies or out to dinner, etc.
That's what I meant, a waste/unnecessary use of money ... in regards to the room size though, I have a 24x12 living room and my 35" looks fine - I don't have much furniture, but arrange it and my wall hangings/pictures so it looks .... full (can't think of the right word right now). I guess it really just depends!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#30 of 37 Old 01-22-2009, 08:13 PM

Check craigslist!!!
I sold a 40in flat screen with remote perfect condition for 80$ to just get rid of it. I see them a lot on ours for that price, you can find something without spending a lot!
You could try posting a want on freecycle too.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page