Could I watch my friends' kids in my home w/o a license? - Mothering Forums

Could I watch my friends' kids in my home w/o a license?

freespirited's Avatar freespirited (TS)
01:39 PM Liked: 0
#1 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 464
I am trying to think of ways to bring in some income and I was thinking about proposing to my friend that I watch her two kids instead of them going to daycare. She's also hurting for money so I was going to offer her a discount. Would I be able to watch these kids in my home without a license? It would be approx 20 hours a week and would only be those 2 kids, plus my 2. As far as taxes go, would I be able to say I had a home business, or would I just say it was "babysitting" income? Also, do people write-off childcare expenses even if they are making a lot of money? If so, would it need to be a licensed childcare provider in order for the write-off to be legit for my friend, or does the IRS care about that? TIA for any info.
Hey Mama!'s Avatar Hey Mama!
01:43 PM Liked: 34
#2 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 2,903
As far as being able to watch children in your home without a license, yes you can as long as it does not exceed 4 that are not related to you. I don't know about paying taxes etc.
katheek77's Avatar katheek77
01:45 PM Liked: 10
#3 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 4,112
Check your state's laws. I know here in PA, if you're watching three or less kids (unrelated to you), you don't need a license.
Don't know about the IRS stuff....
A&A's Avatar A&A
04:02 PM Liked: 1858
#4 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 16,186
If you don't pay taxes on the income, then no, she can't write it off. I think that if you do pay taxes on it, she should be able to write it off, but I'm not an expert.
cristeen's Avatar cristeen
04:34 PM Liked: 148
#5 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 14,677
It really depends on your location - state, county and city laws. I know when I looked into it for myself, I could watch several children, so long as they are all related to each other without a license. As soon as I took on 1 more un-related child though, I would require a license.
polyhymnia's Avatar polyhymnia
05:09 PM Liked: 168
#6 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 2,551
I used to do very part time babysitting for a family who paid me out of their Childcare Flex Spending Account (whatever the real name for that is..), it was part time enough that I didn't pay taxes on the money (too small of an amount) but they were able to claim my expenses out of their fsa just by having me sign a receipt.
yukookoo's Avatar yukookoo
06:36 PM Liked: 11
#7 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 875
in ca it's more than 1 unrelated child requires a license

so yes you would need a license to be watching 2 children not related to you.
April411's Avatar April411
09:26 PM Liked: 1
#8 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 96
Quote:
in ca it's more than 1 unrelated child requires a license

so yes you would need a license to be watching 2 children not related to you.
I thought you only needed a license if you care for the children of more than one family.
April411's Avatar April411
09:33 PM Liked: 1
#9 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 96
found a link

Quote:
http://www.ccld.ca.gov/PG411.htm
In Ca:

Quote:
* You must be licensed if you care for children from more than one family and who are not related to you.
* You don't need a license if you care for your children (or those of a relative), and children from only one other family.
So no, you wouldn't need a license

You should check your state's licensing website though as the law may be different
yukookoo's Avatar yukookoo
09:46 PM Liked: 11
#10 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 875
o wow that's great! I misread it I guess.

What would you guys say about 1 child at a time. I mean, say I have 1 child 4 hours in the morning and 1 child 4 hours afternoon, 2 different families?

And also what's the difference between tutoring then and childcare, assuming I am teaching a skill.

Sorry don't mean to hijack
enkmom's Avatar enkmom
09:59 PM Liked: 60
#11 of 14
01-25-2009 | Posts: 1,356
In my state, being licensed allows you to list a certain percentage of food and transportation costs for the children you watch as a business expense.

I watched my nephews when they were younger. I gave my sister a receipt every week when she paid me. She took the child care credit on her taxes and I reported the money as income, but it was my understanding that BOTH of us had to do this. If she took the credit, I had to report the income. I had to give her my social security number so that the IRS and State could cross-reference that the amount she was claiming was the same as the amount I was reporting. I trusted my sister, but I would be wary of giving my SS# to anyone else. I could have avoided this by incorporating myself and getting a tax ID number.
03:43 PM Liked: 0
#12 of 14
01-26-2009 | Posts: 464
Thank you for all the responses. I just checked the Idaho website and no license is required to watch 1-6 children in your home! : I think two would be my personal limit, though! Good to know. The extra money would be very welcomed.
03:44 PM Liked: 0
#13 of 14
01-26-2009 | Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post
In my state, being licensed allows you to list a certain percentage of food and transportation costs for the children you watch as a business expense.

I watched my nephews when they were younger. I gave my sister a receipt every week when she paid me. She took the child care credit on her taxes and I reported the money as income, but it was my understanding that BOTH of us had to do this. If she took the credit, I had to report the income. I had to give her my social security number so that the IRS and State could cross-reference that the amount she was claiming was the same as the amount I was reporting. I trusted my sister, but I would be wary of giving my SS# to anyone else. I could have avoided this by incorporating myself and getting a tax ID number.

That makes sense. I kind of figured that but wasn't totally sure. Thanks.
Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife
04:53 PM Liked: 424
#14 of 14
01-26-2009 | Posts: 11,487
yeah, it totally depends on your state. I believe in mine, you can watch up to 4 children w/o being licensed. I lived in CO and there it was 2 kids who were related (I think).

also, with the 6 kids being allowed in Idaho, it probably includes your own. I know you are only planning on watching the 2. Just mentioning it, though.
Reply Subscribe Frugality & Finances