Could I watch my friends' kids in my home w/o a license? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to think of ways to bring in some income and I was thinking about proposing to my friend that I watch her two kids instead of them going to daycare. She's also hurting for money so I was going to offer her a discount. Would I be able to watch these kids in my home without a license? It would be approx 20 hours a week and would only be those 2 kids, plus my 2. As far as taxes go, would I be able to say I had a home business, or would I just say it was "babysitting" income? Also, do people write-off childcare expenses even if they are making a lot of money? If so, would it need to be a licensed childcare provider in order for the write-off to be legit for my friend, or does the IRS care about that? TIA for any info.
#2 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As far as being able to watch children in your home without a license, yes you can as long as it does not exceed 4 that are not related to you. I don't know about paying taxes etc.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#3 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Check your state's laws. I know here in PA, if you're watching three or less kids (unrelated to you), you don't need a license.
Don't know about the IRS stuff....
#4 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If you don't pay taxes on the income, then no, she can't write it off. I think that if you do pay taxes on it, she should be able to write it off, but I'm not an expert.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 03:34 PM

It really depends on your location - state, county and city laws. I know when I looked into it for myself, I could watch several children, so long as they are all related to each other without a license. As soon as I took on 1 more un-related child though, I would require a license.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 04:09 PM

I used to do very part time babysitting for a family who paid me out of their Childcare Flex Spending Account (whatever the real name for that is..), it was part time enough that I didn't pay taxes on the money (too small of an amount) but they were able to claim my expenses out of their fsa just by having me sign a receipt.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#7 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 PM

in ca it's more than 1 unrelated child requires a license

so yes you would need a license to be watching 2 children not related to you.
#8 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
in ca it's more than 1 unrelated child requires a license

so yes you would need a license to be watching 2 children not related to you.
I thought you only needed a license if you care for the children of more than one family.
#9 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 PM

found a link

In Ca:

Quote:
* You must be licensed if you care for children from more than one family and who are not related to you.
* You don't need a license if you care for your children (or those of a relative), and children from only one other family.
So no, you wouldn't need a license

You should check your state's licensing website though as the law may be different
#10 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 PM

o wow that's great! I misread it I guess.

What would you guys say about 1 child at a time. I mean, say I have 1 child 4 hours in the morning and 1 child 4 hours afternoon, 2 different families?

And also what's the difference between tutoring then and childcare, assuming I am teaching a skill.

Sorry don't mean to hijack
#11 of 14 Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM

In my state, being licensed allows you to list a certain percentage of food and transportation costs for the children you watch as a business expense.

I watched my nephews when they were younger. I gave my sister a receipt every week when she paid me. She took the child care credit on her taxes and I reported the money as income, but it was my understanding that BOTH of us had to do this. If she took the credit, I had to report the income. I had to give her my social security number so that the IRS and State could cross-reference that the amount she was claiming was the same as the amount I was reporting. I trusted my sister, but I would be wary of giving my SS# to anyone else. I could have avoided this by incorporating myself and getting a tax ID number.
#12 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the responses. I just checked the Idaho website and no license is required to watch 1-6 children in your home! : I think two would be my personal limit, though! Good to know. The extra money would be very welcomed.
#13 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom View Post
In my state, being licensed allows you to list a certain percentage of food and transportation costs for the children you watch as a business expense.

I watched my nephews when they were younger. I gave my sister a receipt every week when she paid me. She took the child care credit on her taxes and I reported the money as income, but it was my understanding that BOTH of us had to do this. If she took the credit, I had to report the income. I had to give her my social security number so that the IRS and State could cross-reference that the amount she was claiming was the same as the amount I was reporting. I trusted my sister, but I would be wary of giving my SS# to anyone else. I could have avoided this by incorporating myself and getting a tax ID number.

That makes sense. I kind of figured that but wasn't totally sure. Thanks.
#14 of 14 Old 01-26-2009, 03:53 PM

yeah, it totally depends on your state. I believe in mine, you can watch up to 4 children w/o being licensed. I lived in CO and there it was 2 kids who were related (I think).

also, with the 6 kids being allowed in Idaho, it probably includes your own. I know you are only planning on watching the 2. Just mentioning it, though.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page