~ February No-Spend Challenge ~ We're tracking our spending and trying to only buy the necessities...Come join us! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jan 31- 28.50 Amazon, 105 Food shopping (other than odds and ends this is all until the beginning of March), 16 gas, 2.00 toy car mat for DD to drive her cars on, 4.00 snake food until the middle of the month
Feb 1:
Feb 2- Its only noon but DD1 is cranky and teething and DD2 hasn't stopped crying all morning so Im not going anywhere today. :

No Spend 2/20
: No drive 1/10
Grocery budget: 105/500
Gas: 16/100
Amazon: 28.50/30
Town: 0/5000 Y
Shipping- 0/15
Snake food: 4/20.00
Exercise days 0/20

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 AM

1/1

we were tempted to stop at the store to buy some drinks for the superbowl party, but we stayed satisfied with what we brought (yummy red chile burritos).

I am having a friend over for lunch and I am trying to think of a nice lunch without running to the store.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 AM

a. I'm Nina, wife to Wally and mom to Libby. We bought our home last June and are just finishing paying off my parents for the loan they gave us towards our down payment. It feels like we're saying "eeeeeek! There is money in our account for the first time in years!" but....there's not. We're a month ahead on bills but there's really no emergency fund in the bank. DD is going to need a room at some point and we'll need to buy furniture to reconfigure our apartment. We really don't have much up on the walls either. We're also planning a vacation in August and we'd like to have a better computer at home so I can start my own business. We're also TTC another baby and if that happens I'll be on EI for at least a year and possibly not going back afterwards. So...if you think about it, that doesn't really leave too much spare change for Starbucks.

b. Goals for the month:
Groceries - $500 or less
Unplanned household spending - $100
Gas - $100
Do a new budget and stick to it!!

c. For groceries, I am meal planning and trying to stock up on frugal staples like dried beans and flour. Unplanned household stuff and personal care I am going to track. Those are areas that the money just seems to go into a black hole and clearly I need to figure it out so I can plan and budget for them. My problem are from last month was COMFORT SPENDING - "Wow, that was a tough day at work and I don't want to see that sink of dishes, let's go for dinner." I want to make some comforting freezer meals this month and try to pre-plan ways to take it easy and de-stress without blowing $40 on dinner at Boston Pizza.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 AM

1/1 - $125 staple foods and large-quantity detergents from health food store (eeek!), $7.25 admission at pool, $64 for 10x pool passes for me and DD.

$125/$500 groceries
$0/$100 gas
$64/100 unplanned household

Well, I am off to a really terrible start. I stayed away from the HFS last month to stay on budget, so I've been accumulating a list of things I need to pick up. I figured I would go there when I didn't really need to grocery shop so I could just get what I needed without getting sucked into $4 bananas and $20 organic chickens. $125 later....

I am well stocked for dried beans, laundry and dish detergent, organic soup bullion cubes, organic flour, rice, vanilla, and tea tree oil. The only thing I bought that will actually feed us this week is milk. So I am still planning to hit Safeway on Tuesday, which is 10% Tuesday - usually the biggest grocery bill of the month.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:00 AM

Hi, I'm Monica, and I'm a Whole-Foods-aholic...

Our financial goals include being able to afford the remodel we're planning without totally draining our savings, and long-term, becoming independently wealthy. :P well, you know.

Still working out how to get there, but joining this thread is one starting place.

I'm starting small this month. I'm going to *try* to avoid spending unnecessarily in other areas, but what I'm definitely tackling is our grocery shopping. No impulse buys. I make a list, I buy what's on the list (or possibly a substitute if what I intended isn't available), I leave. If I leave something off the list that's a routine item we keep in stock, I can add it when I'm there, but nothing new. I'm at Whole Foods once a week, pretty much; if I don't get it now, I can put it on the list when I get home and get it next time.

We do about 70% of our shopping (food-wise; probably 90% budget-wise) at Whole Foods. I hit Costco about once a month and get some meat and produce, and Trader Joe's likewise for snacks and sometimes produce, but we don't do conventional stores at all; it's just too hard to find what we need.

Today, we spent $205.37 at Whole Foods. That gets us the bulk of breakfast and dinner for the family, and lunch for me and DS1. The total includes an obscene amount of meat; DH and I don't do well with too much carbs, and I need a TON of calories to nurse my boys, plus I eat very little that I don't make myself (since I'm off gluten, dairy, soy, corn, eggs, and canola, plus all artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and sweeteners). So that's not too bad, really. Would be better if Costco had had the organic ground beef last time I was there... then I wouldn't have had to get it at WF!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 AM

I am in for February!

I attempted to track October last year, but only managed about 10 days. I have renewed enthusiasm this year!

I am mama to two DS's and this month will be marrying my partner whom I met a year ago on a green/crunchy dating site. We live in rural United Kingdom with cats and chickens. I have just finished reading Your Money or Your Life and now DP is reading it. It gave me some great ideas and is helping me see where my material actions are not yet matching my growingly simple values.

Plus, we are planning on home educating youngest DS in April, and this will mean a shift in income as I am taking unpaid leave for 6 months to see how we settle in. I am planning on starting my own craft/sewing business using vintage and recyled materials to try and contibute some finances to the household too. DP will support us all during this 6 months, so I really really want to get ontop of my spending to reflect how much I appreciate his calm and peaceful commitment to us.

We are tracking our spending together on a spreadsheet we made - it is a learning curve for me as I have been an independant earner for so long and the main provider for me and the DS's. I need to leave my judgement and blame at the door while I learn to track and track to learn!

Happy to be here.

My goal for Feb is to practise mindful no spending and document all my payments.

1/2 - £2 - Pocket money for DS's.
1/2 - £6 - Bday present for DS friend.
1/2 - £10 - Oil for car.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Preemptive for the day. We have a solid homeschooling day planned -- lots to catch up on after last week's illness. Should be a no drive, no spend kind of day.

1 --
2 --
6 -- pay day

My goals:

No new debt!
0/1000 cc debt
0/500 groceries
0/200 food co-op (bulk goods)
0/50 gas

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Feb goals:

Necessary spending :
Groceries- <$450
Gas- <$70
Birth center remaining fee- $1625
No spend days- 1/20
:No drive days- 1/10

Misc budgeted spending /goals:
Homeschool books/activities- <$20
Kid clothing <$20
Use $ from ebay sales to buy cloth diapers - $20 received so far 2/1, $47 pending...
Return some items to Walmart- use $ for kid items (2/1- $24 gift card for returns)

:Unbudgeted spending- <$30 (trying to be realistic here)
Declutter house so that I know what I already have!
No $ spent on Paperbackswap or Amazon (use library more)!

Here goes!
2/1- $156.25 groceries
2/2- already know I won't be leaving house today)

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i'm in! i'm going for a no-spend year!

1 -
2 - (pre-emptive - got to get groceries and i want to be good!)

lofty goals:
28/28
unplanned spending 0

actual:
2/28
Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 PM

a. Who you are - A mum on mat leave to a 5.5 month old DS. My income is pretty fixed at the moment so I have an idea of how much I have to work with (not a lot after bills)

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) -

1) Continue to pay down my student loans, by making minimum payment on all of them (there are 3) and a second payment on at least one each month.

2) Save money for a trip I'm taking in March

c. How you plan to get there

1) Budget all spending on food - goal is $40 a week (my half of the weekly bill)
2) Stick to the library
3) Stay in the neighborhood as to avoid paying for public transit (we don't have a car)
4) No new clothes or other unnecessary items
5) Leave debit & credit card at home and only use cash
6) record spending here and in my personal diary

So here goes:

no spend =
groceries = :
unnecessary =
saved or used to pay for bills, trip, extra loan payment =

Groceries 35/120
Trip Savings 0/200
Money saved for March bills 0/1000 (includes rent, utilities, and loan payments)
Extra loan payment 0/100

2/1- $35 shopping for the week
2/2-
Old 02-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Jumping back in. I haven't participated in several months, but I need all the support I can get right now.

a. Who you are
I'm Ann, a SAHM of 4 kids.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)
My goal this month is to stay within my budget so that we can get our credit card paid off next month. If I can come in under budget, that means we'll be out of debt even faster.

I need to stay at home more often. I have to drive my kids to school everyday. But if I drive any further than school, that generally means I'll spend more money than I need to. So I'm going to stay close to home and focus on making my home a wonderful, warm, welcoming place to be. No buying any new items unless housework is done first.

= no spend
= budgeted, necessary spending
: = frivolous spending
: = no drive

February 1: : no spend, no drive

No drive: 1/4 days
Stay within 15 mile radius of home: 1/23 days
No spend: 1/20 days

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:30 PM

February Code:
: No spend
:No Drive
: Tally of Evil Spending

Feb 1::,
Feb 2: 22.10 Gas,16.10 Groceries,

February Goals;
unbudget spend days goal 15/30, 1/30
No Drive Days goal: 7/30,1/30
No frivolous spending over 95 actual:0/95
Sold items 0/50
Thrift/diaper items: 0/20
Decluttering/organizing 20 min day 1/20
Grocery budget 16.10/340.00
Baked/home cooking:1/10
Study/Daven daily 0/18
no Tv days 0/15
patience cultivated 0/28
walked 1/10
Old 02-02-2009, 03:53 PM

I'm Amanda, SAHW and mom to our three DDs. We are also expecting again and I am due in Aug. I am craving ALL fast foods and it TOTALLY hurt our Jan. budget! Yikes!

We have CC debt and school loans to pay off, but with our tax return and a side job my DH did, our CC debt should be gone by April! YEAH!

$500 per month for ALL food, clothing, stuff for kids, fast food, etc.

1st: Food Groceries $30, Fast Food $6
2nd: $4 Fast food
3rd: No spend
Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 PM

a. Who you are

I'm Brisen, a sahm to four homeschooled kids.

b. Where you are going (your financial goals)

Trying to pay off some debt from moving into our house and saving for renovations.

Tracking my spending, planning meals, doing more cooking from scratch, and figuring out ways of making do without spending.

1:

no spend:
budgeted spend:
unnecessary spend: :
no drive: :

Household spending: $0/$600
No-spend days: 1/18

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Williams View Post
We are also expecting again and I am due in Aug. I am craving ALL fast foods and it TOTALLY hurt our Jan. budget! Yikes!
I had the same cravings in my last pregnancy. It was so difficult! I spent a LOT of money on food then. Especially since if I wanted some, I had to go out with my kids to get it, and share with them. I remember having vivid dreams about the food I was craving, and being able to taste it. Which just left me craving it more.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM

I made it through yesterday as no spend even with a house showing and being out of the house for the afternoon. I grabbed the pbj and a loaf of bread and made the sandwiches in the car! Today will be no spend too, but tomorrow I think I am going to sign up for some swim classes and will have to buy a few groceries.

I feel myself wanting to buy a t-shirt form Radical Rags and also a new Buff though. I must remember... I NEED NOTHING!!!!!

1st: No spend!
2nd: $44 food; $24 gas
Old 02-02-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

My goals:

2/20 No Spend Days
0/5 Let the Car Rest Days :
1/28 No Diaperswappers

Old 02-02-2009, 05:38 PM

A. I'm Nadia, a mostly SAHM/pt teacher. We've never had a lot of extra money and DH's company cut salaries recently, so we are operating with $200 less per month. I am NOT good at delaying gratification when it comes to buying something I want, so I am really working on this for February.

B. I am trying to get us back on track with saving. Overspending has eaten up our usual savings amounts and that has to stop. Long term, I want to save up a 6 month emergency fund and save up for some improvements to our house.

C. I am going to be ruthless about determining if I really NEED to buy something this month. I normally suck at this, so this is a biggie. I'm going to plan in a little free spending money so I can buy a couple lattés throughout the month, but I'm going to try to limit that.

1:
2: $10 groceries, $20 efile fee

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 PM

= No Spend
= Budgeted Spending

Budget: $500 groceries, $200 misc (gas, dinner out, movies, cat food, etc..)

02. $105/$500 Groceries
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM

My key:
:: brought lunch from home, made dinner at home.
: true no-spend day.
: planned spending.
:: Oops spending.

02/01: We spent $2,000 at IKEA but it was a long-planned purchase-- the cabinets, sink, faucet and countertops for our downstairs rental unit-- that comes from its own account. Ate out for dinner, but that was also planned-for.

02/02: : Grocery day. Hitting up Whole Foods and H.T. after work.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Old 02-02-2009, 06:53 PM

okay, here goes

1-
2- vitacost order, pretty big at 117, included stuff I was not originally going to buy, but all are things that will be used, (supplements, food, detergent, etc), so I guess I would call this a

So far so good.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM

2. Just gas $28.00 which was budgeted (we borrowed new shoes from a friend so no$ on new one's for DS)

What I am wondering is if it is a budgeted item does that count for no spending? I am a bit confused with all the terms.

(totally stole this frmo pasionatewriter, but in my defense she's my best friend, lol)
=No Spend
:=No Drive
:= Unexpected Spend Day
=Spent but only on budget items

Goals
15/28 no spend days
15/28 no drive days
20/28 organize a part of the house for 30min
4/28 1hour for mommy time (I am really bad at this one)
Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM

01-: $25 for the toybox for ds4. committed to in January so no choice.,
02- :$2.09 coffee. im trying to cut down on buying coffee out but i forgot about story hour today and didnt have time to go back home and make more coffee and it was a very early day so i needed more coffee.
i need to paypal for some organic babylegs i bought last week ($12 for 2 pair) and pay for shipping for a coop. Another goal: NO MORE COOPS!!!
03-
04-
05-
06-
07-
08-
09-
10-

=No Spend
:=No Drive
:= Unexpected Spend Day
=Spent but only on budget items

Goals
0/20 No Spend Days
0/14 No Drive Days
1/20 Decluttering/Organizing Days/30 minutes
1/8 Library Days
0/4 books
0/10 knit at least 30 minutes
0/20 No Spend Days
2/25/28 eat at home
Old 02-02-2009, 08:54 PM

1st: Nothing!
2nd: Nothing!

I had expected to have to pay for DS's allergy test but he was too scared so we ended up not completing it. I didn't get billed unless they send the bill later. I have no idea. DS did get an ice cream out of his change after so I don't include that. I almost caved to eat out but I realized it wasn't Toonie Tuesday (KFC for $2-something) so I'm making pizza for supper.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feb 1: Put $100 into farmer's co-op account
Feb 2: $10 raw milk at dairy, $38.27 groceries, $27.23 Floradix, $7.83 Subway

I DIDN'T place an order at Old Navy Maternity. Yay me!

Goals:

48/500 on groceries
0/100 on garden
0/15 no-spend days
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM

I tried to post this earlier but somehow failed.

a. I'm not a mother yet, mostly because of our financial situation. I'm a substitute teacher trying to get a full time teaching job and df, who really hates his job, will have his contract expire in September at which point we're not really sure if we'll be able to keep our house depending on whether or not we both get jobs.

b. My goals are to pay down the debt I have (cc and student loans) so we can start building up a safety cushion. Plus we'd like to start saving for our wedding next year. For this month my goals are to pay off my provincial loan, apply for interest relief on my federal loan and pay off some more of my cc and not add any more to it.

c. Last month I managed to only spend $68 total. This month I'm aiming for $80 with the one exception being a sewing machine table I want to buy as a reward for spending less than $70 last month. I'm looking at a few on kijiji. I'm going to track my no-spend days and how much money I have spent and stick to my budget. I'm also going to take cash out of my account for spending money rather than using my debit cart all the time.

01/02 -
02/02 -

Spent 0$/$80
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 PM

2/1 - : :
2/2 - :
2/3 -
2/4 -
2/5 -

- No spending
: - No driving
- necessary spending
- unnecessary spending
: - eat at home
Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What I am wondering is if it is a budgeted item does that count for no spending? I am a bit confused with all the terms.
This is for you to decide. We have no hard and fast rules on this thread...you set the rules and you decide what you want to count as spend vs. no-spend.

I only record frivolous purchases here...groceries, water bill, trash pickup, preschool tuition -- for my family those are necessities and we budget ahead for them and I don't count them.

But some MDCers on this thread record every dime that leaves their hands.

You record whatever will help you spend the least amount of money.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Goals 20/28 No Spend Days
14/28 No Drive Days
20/28 Decluttering/Organizing Days/30 minutes (1/20)
8/28 Library Days (1/8)
4 books
10/28 knit at least 30 minutes

im still trying to figure all of this out. i dont understand some of the goals. i guess ill learn as i go unless someone can direct me to a thread where this is explained elsewhere.
If you have a goal of 20 days no spending, you would write it like this:

0/20 No Spend

Then each day that you no-spend, the first number goes up. The second number is your goal.

So your goals will look like this:

0/20 No Spend Days
0/14 No Drive Days
0/20 Decluttering/Organizing Days/30 minutes (1/20)
0/8 Library Days (1/8)
0/4 books
0/10 knit at least 30 minutes

At the beginning of the month, and hopefully you'll be 20/20 by the end

Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Carla! Great to see you back with us. :

User Tag List