Buy in bulk/stock pile tribe - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 360 Old 03-15-2009, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our actual basement is warm (from the furnace) and damp in the summer, dry in the winter. Completely cement with only one tiny window for ventilation. Musty in the damp summer. Wet when it thaws/rains. It just doesn't seem like a good place to store food, yk?

Our garage is quite large and is not used for cars or chemicals. We have some large storage (pantry) shelves in there, and a freestanding extra fridge and freezer. This is a good place to store root veggies in spring and fall, but at some point it gets below freezing out there and stays around or below freezing for several months of the winter.

We have an unheated walk-in closet where we move some of the stuff that was in the garage when it gets too cold. This year we had too much (onions, potatoes, apples, squash) and moved some down to our cold spare room as well. It would be better if we could just leave it in the garage, but DH isn't much of a carpenter and I don't think we would actually get around to building a partition in the garage. We might consider it, but it doesn't seem like something we are likely to do.

One of my friends suggested storing things near the freezer/fridge to take advantage of the heat that is given off by those to prevent freezing. I wonder if I would need some kind of a structure for this? Or if I could just cover the root food up well with blankets next to the freezer and hope for the best?

Another thing I thought of is coolers. I think we have three camping coolers. We could fill them with potatoes or onions or apples or whatever and close them up for insulation, with the drain hole open for ventilation, and just leave them in the garage all winter. It would theoretically keep them cool but not frozen. Anyone have thoughts on how well that might work? I wonder if it would make our coolers stink?

We really need to get this food storage thing figured out in our ridiculously suburban 1969 split-level!

Also I wonder if there is any way to root-cellar carrots and cabbage without using sand? Sand seems like such a PITA. I would love ideas on these things.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#302 of 360 Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Hey tribe, just wanted to let you know that the Walgreen's by me is discontinuing their brand of Hydrogen Peroxide in the small bottles, my mom picked up 10 bottles at 15 cents each.
#303 of 360 Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne View Post
Hey tribe, just wanted to let you know that the Walgreen's by me is discontinuing their brand of Hydrogen Peroxide in the small bottles, my mom picked up 10 bottles at 15 cents each.
Thanks for the head's up!
#304 of 360 Old 03-21-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
We really need to get this food storage thing figured out in our ridiculously suburban 1969 split-level!

I feel your pain! LOL We lived in one of those 1960ish split levels as well for 10 years! When we moved to a 2 story with a full bsmt I could not wait to set up my pantry area.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#305 of 360 Old 03-24-2009, 04:59 PM

bump!
#306 of 360 Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM

We are moving to MIL's basement apartment this week, so after we're settled in, i really want to take stock of our food storage. She already has most of it at her house, because we did not have room in our condo.

And, we need to start our indoor seeds, like NOW! :

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#307 of 360 Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 AM

Anyone here stockpile with special food needs, like gluten/dairy free? I am trying to make changes for the better, but feel a bit overwhelmed b/c it is not as easy as going to the local walmart to get rice milk as you would regular ole dairy milk.

PS: I have truly enjoyed reading through the 16+ pages of posts(feeling more motivated to do this...one step at a time
#308 of 360 Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinders View Post
Anyone here stockpile with special food needs, like gluten/dairy free?
We are a vegan family, does that count?

#309 of 360 Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Anyone here stockpile with special food needs, like gluten/dairy free? I am trying to make changes for the better, but feel a bit overwhelmed b/c it is not as easy as going to the local walmart to get rice milk as you would regular ole dairy milk.

PS: I have truly enjoyed reading through the 16+ pages of posts(feeling more motivated to do this...one step at a time
We are gf/df/sf here.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#310 of 360 Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 AM

We're gluten and dairy free.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#311 of 360 Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:

We are GF/DF

amyamanda - My perents use pete moss in in their root celler. I think though they said this year they are going to just do what you are suggesting.
#312 of 360 Old 03-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Maybe someone already mentioned this but there are really great deals on Bob's Red Mill products (I know a lot of those are gluten free) on amazon.com under the grocery section.
#313 of 360 Old 03-25-2009, 02:15 PM

We're a mostly dairy-free household (DD1 has a dairy allergy) and our food stockpile is totally dairy-free. We don't use dairy substitutes in her diet, so we don't worry about rice milk, etc. We just make sure to store her normal dietary foods and we also store chewable calcium supplements for her as well.
#314 of 360 Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
And, we need to start our indoor seeds, like NOW! :
We bought shop lights and full spectrum bulbs to start our seeds a few weeks ago and I just said to DH this AM that we have to start them SOON!

We can plant here around mid May but realistically we never get the full garden in until the end of May anyway. Maybe after we don't have babies we'll be on top of it.
#315 of 360 Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post
We bought shop lights and full spectrum bulbs to start our seeds a few weeks ago and I just said to DH this AM that we have to start them SOON!

We can plant here around mid May but realistically we never get the full garden in until the end of May anyway. Maybe after we don't have babies we'll be on top of it.
Timely... I just got my seeds started and down in my zen pantry a few days ago. Would've liked to have gotten them started a few weeks ago, but hey, life happens. And after last year's torrential spring where you couldn't plant, yeah.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#316 of 360 Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 PM

I bought some lard cans at lehmans Sat. They are stainless basically a pop corn tin : . but USDA food safe and air tight I bought 50lb and 2x25 lbs. I cant wait to wash them out and fill them with my dry goods...I'll get my gallon containers back

Also got a water bottle that filters pond water etc , turn key for my clothes line and a new belt got my treadle sewing machine
#317 of 360 Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 PM

We moved in to our new place, and have a bit bigger pantry now (We're in the basement apt at MIL's) The carport is housing shelves of #10 cans of beans, rice and grains.

We started our indoor seeds last night, and lettuce in the garden too.

We have lots more to do around the yard- build or buy a compost, build garden containers for our square foot garden, finish the roof on the storage shed that DH started last year, and unpack all our stuff!

So.. we have a little more food storage and cabinet space in our new place, plus the carport storage.

#318 of 360 Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Got some seeds too! I will stockpile a ton of crushed tomato this year since the price of that has gone up a lot in the last 18 mos. I have the jars just waiting for August and Sept.

Checking my meat inventory, we have actaully made a dent in it! But I still have 15 lbs of stew meat, several dozen steaks, roasts etc. I am trading some roasts and ground meat a few steaks for some pork from a friend who did a side of a pig. The only thing she dosent have in her freezer is the squeel. LOL

I need to go to the local restrnt style bulk store but since dd1 is off school and if I take her, she will want some extra items. I buy the ice cream treat box which lasts all of the hot months even though the girls and dh love those type treats. Also the snack type stuff for our going to the pool treats (I splurge for these in the summer) and anything the kids want from the snack bar, they get with their allowance.

I also freeze candy bars when on sale and save for these type of outings. I have to hide them in the way back of the freezer or DH would eat them!! Its tough having 3 people with these amazing sweet tooth in them.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#319 of 360 Old 03-29-2009, 10:19 PM

What restaurant bulk store do you go to?
Is canning hard to learn? That's what I want to do with the tomatoes, but *sigh* I have a lot to learn.
#320 of 360 Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
I bought some lard cans at lehmans Sat. They are stainless basically a pop corn tin : . but USDA food safe and air tight I bought 50lb and 2x25 lbs. I cant wait to wash them out and fill them with my dry goods...I'll get my gallon containers back

Also got a water bottle that filters pond water etc , turn key for my clothes line and a new belt got my treadle sewing machine
I love those cans- I've drooled over them in the catalog.
Lucky you living near Lehman's! I have to go there one day.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#321 of 360 Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
What restaurant bulk store do you go to?
Is canning hard to learn? That's what I want to do with the tomatoes, but *sigh* I have a lot to learn.
GFS or gorden food service. We call it GPS instead. Sometimes they have better bulk deals than costco, but I use both. We buy snackies there and keep them in the pantry in the hard for children to reach area or back of the freezer in the hard for DH to find area.

I also go to the restrnt depot with DBIL since he is in that industry and you need to be in that industry to get in. There is one in the city and now right by me in the burbs. That is quite a big and overwelming place. They have like 1000 plus ft of al foil etc to buy. I have one over a year old and still has a ton of ft left on it.

Canning- I have the canning equipment I bought for pretty cheap brand new and use books from the library to learn. Very easy and you should be able to find canning threads during that time of year-harvest time. I usually just can the tomato from the garden or make sauce and can that. On a good year it lasts until about mid May.

#322 of 360 Old 03-30-2009, 01:22 PM

We want to can tomatoes too.. I want to do diced tomatoes and spaghetti sauce.

#323 of 360 Old 03-30-2009, 01:35 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Cann.../dp/B001DIXG9A

This, and the Kerr book are the best! Cheap, too!

Canning tomatoes and tomato sauces usually do not require pressure canning.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#324 of 360 Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
I love those cans- I've drooled over them in the catalog.
Lucky you living near Lehman's! I have to go there one day.
Love the store its a little over an hour from us but so worth the trip. The Clearance area is great also find lots of great things dented or scratched..like james hand washers and berky water filters...course I never have the $ to buy them even 75% off but love to look

I'll post a pickture of the cans washed and filled here when I get it done.
#325 of 360 Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Here is the direct link to the company that made at least the large container I bought:
http://www.doverparkersburg.com/home.html

I like the big one. Flimsy a little but nice. The smaller ones have some weird goo in them that Ive washed and washed ( just short of putting goo be gone in ) and cant get it out..it seems to be what they used to hold the bottom onto the base of the can...SO anymore that I buy will be the big ones. Also while cleaning the smaller ones had some metal fragments come off...

I think using pillow cases to line them with will work for the pails don't you think? Should I even risk the small pails?
#326 of 360 Old 03-30-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Cann.../dp/B001DIXG9A

This, and the Kerr book are the best! Cheap, too!

Canning tomatoes and tomato sauces usually do not require pressure canning.
Thus the reason we do it! I would try my hand at other type of canning stuff, but we usually just chop and prepare it for how we would cook with it and freeze.

does anyone stock spices etc in bulk? I had a coop particiapnt in the past buy literally 5-10 spices in bulk. I buy in the normal sizes and then just reorder, if you bulk stock spices, how do you keep them?

#327 of 360 Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM

Anyone adding to their stockpiles? I just bought some stuff - cheap vodka (for elderberry syrup) 10# of tomatoes, got more brown rice, boxed chicken stock, and 2# of salt - among other things. DH and I are doing the "We refuse to freak out - but WILL be prepared" dance. For being in a 1 bedroom - we have a great stockpile. In all honesty, I'm more scared about what will happen when DH loses his job than about the flu.

Argh.

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#328 of 360 Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM

We just bought 25# of pinto beans today (we love pinto beans!) and 15# of Basmati rice.
:

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#329 of 360 Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Nope.. not adding anything here.. DH is in-between jobs, so we are living off ours. We'll replace things onces we have a steady income again... he starts his new job in a couple weeks.

#330 of 360 Old 05-03-2009, 07:44 PM

I put up 32 half pints of strawberry jam this weekend. It' has started! I love canning season!!! :::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page