Buy in bulk/stock pile tribe - Page 12 - Mothering Forums
First ... 2  10  11  12
Frugality & Finances > Buy in bulk/stock pile tribe
onlygirls's Avatar onlygirls 10:10 PM 05-03-2009
I am starting my stockpile. I bought some stuff at Costco and decided to clean out the pantry since we have lived here almost 2 years. I was *almost* done. I had an arm full of energy drinks. Red energy drinks. I dropped one and it exploded. Sprayed across the kitchen and all over the ceiling. DH was so sweet and cleaned it up, mopped the floor. The rest of the energy drinks are being donated to the food pantry. He never wants to see them again.

I stocked up on beans, soup, pancake mix, water. All for our end of the world stash. And I have a Beeeeeutiful pantry.

mamadelbosque's Avatar mamadelbosque 11:48 PM 05-03-2009
I buy some spices in bulk from my co-op - mostly garlic powder (cause' honestly, we use so frigging much its insane. 1# will last us like, maybe 2 months. Tops.), onion powder. And I bough 1# of oregano & parsley, oh, IDK, a year or so ago now, and have them in my freezer.

I'm not adding much major to our supplies right now, but I am making sure to keep us up with most everything. Canning season hasn't started for me quite yet, but I'm certainly excited for it to I do want a big stockpot with a steaming basket so I can more easily blanch stuff this summer though

ETA: Oh and yes, you can can tomatoes in just a waterbath, but ONLY plain tomatoes - if you add *anything* else to them, then you have to use a pressure canner (or thats my understanding)... we use a pressure canner for our diced tomatoes (the only tomatoes I do, cause' they're so all-purpose, and just the easiest solution, IMO), mostly because it makes it go so much faster (10 minutes vs 30!)
HydeParkB's Avatar HydeParkB 12:40 AM 05-04-2009
I added a couple of pounds of lentils, a couple pounds of white beans, and some Capri Sun. (I know, I know, they are what we bring when we go to the zoo or on a road trip.) There were a few items that were really good sales at the store, like the Capri Sun for 99cents, so I stocked up on those.

Right now we are trying to figure out how to pay for a very expensive medical test that my insurance won't pay for, so we may hold off on much more stocking for a while.
not now's Avatar not now 01:53 AM 05-04-2009
I need to pick up pinto beans (what's a Mexican diet without pinto beans?), green beans, wheat flour and...something else I can't think of.
velochic's Avatar velochic 08:07 AM 05-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
ETA: Oh and yes, you can can tomatoes in just a waterbath, but ONLY plain tomatoes - if you add *anything* else to them, then you have to use a pressure canner (or thats my understanding)... we use a pressure canner for our diced tomatoes (the only tomatoes I do, cause' they're so all-purpose, and just the easiest solution, IMO), mostly because it makes it go so much faster (10 minutes vs 30!)
Actually, some of the newer varieties of tomatoes that are hybrids do not have a sufficient level of acidity to water bath can, so you have to be careful. It's always prudent to add acid to your tomatoes, but I just pressure can mine.

Here's an excerpt about it:

"Researchers at USDA and at the University of Minnesota have found that most underripe to ripe, cooked tomatoes have a pH below 4.6. Unfortunately, a few varieties may have a pH above or close to 4.6. These include Ace, Ace 55VF, Beefmaster Hybrid, Big Early Hybrid, Big Girl, Big Set, Burpee VF Hybrid, Cal Ace, Delicious, Fireball, Garden State, Royal Chico, and San Marzano. Some of these are grown for commercial purposes and are not found in home gardens. However, safely canning these varieties requires additional acid for water bath processing or a pressure canning process similar to low acid vegetables."

I am very paranoid about properly home canning everything according to the strictest of rules. My mother and niece almost died from botulism poisoning in 1984 because my sister (the niece's mother) home canned green beans and used the water bath/open kettle method (putting hot contents into jar and letting it seal itself without processing) "just like grandma did... and nobody died!". So now I'm very anal with my canning practices.

Here is an article titled "Why Open Kettle Canning is a Really Bad Idea: And Why Grandma's Old Time Canning Advice Could Be Deadly". I was chastised on another thread for saying this was dangerous.

Oh, here is the webpage I took the above tomato canning information from.
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 11:21 AM 05-04-2009
Ok, I should have the bag over my head smilie but..

I have stocked up on ice cream treats, fruit leathers and roll ups, snackie items galore etc. We are coming back into "on the go" season and having the ice cream man come by all the time, right before dinner to boot I have most of his items in the freezer. Sadly DH is the one eating them all. But working in the yard makes up a great appetite so its not too bad.

We are making a dent in our meat supply and I am thinking by the time Jan 2010 rolls around, we will be ready for the next year side. I have also stocked up on pork chops and did a trade with a neighbor for some of her pork as well. All this talk of the "swine" flu DH and I are craving good bacon and pork chops. A few years back when beef had a similiar scare, I remember DH saying- hey I could really go for a good burger and steak this week....

I do need to order a wholesale of nuts and choco chips sooner than later but with all the craziness in our lives the past 3 or so weeks, I dont know if I would be able to.
HydeParkB's Avatar HydeParkB 11:35 AM 05-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post

I have stocked up on ice cream treats, fruit leathers and roll ups, snackie items galore etc.
I hear ya! If you know you are going to want to eat it, it's better to have it on hand than to pay out the nose for it. We went to the zoo yesterday, and the snacks for the family consisted of about $1 worth of assorted cheese, 50 cents worth of Triscuits, 50 cents worth of dried cherry/blueberry/raisin/cranberry mix, a juice box and a couple waters. DD did ASK for a snack from the ice cream shack, but she didn't fuss about not getting one.
Ruthiegirl's Avatar Ruthiegirl 12:01 PM 05-04-2009
I love my stockpile right now! We buy 3 months of pantry goods at a time. I did a big order in April and will do another in July. I pick up produce and some meat when needed and we garden for fresh, seasonal veggies.

We have multiple food allergies, so everything we eat is cooked at home and fairly simple. Lots of rice and bean type of meals or grain salads and grilled chicken.

My last order looked like this:

brown rice
basmati rice
black beans
red lentils
coconut oil
olive oil
almonds
walnuts
pine nuts
quinoa
millet
g/f flour
apple cider vinegar
oats
popcorn
peanut butter
almond butter
tamari
sesame oil
sugar
rice cakes
g/f brownie mix
g/f pizza mix
g/f pasta

I got a few jars of applesauce and some chips for treats as well though I will probably skip these next time since they get wolfed down within a couple of days.

I love shopping this way. : With all of these allergies, I cannot buy 90% of the food sold at the grocery store, so shopping is frustrating and emotional. Buying so much in bulk means that I can afford more organic food without the excessive packaging. And there is nothing like having 50 pounds of rice in the basement!

Next time I will get a lot more quinoa, we love this grain! My kids willingly eat it when I make it up into a big quinoa/veggie salad. More red lentils and basmati, as this is our favorite lunch.

I have mixed feelings about the g/f baking mixes. They are mediocre, but the kids seem to like them and being able to have a 'normal' treat is big for my son right now who is really feeling the weight of being the kid with 'weird food'. I have tried a few recipes on my own, but we are wheat, dairy and egg free (as well as a few more things) so baking is like a chemistry experiment where the results can be very, very bad. The mixes help with that a bit.

Anyway, building a pantry/stockpile supply is the best!
Aubergine68's Avatar Aubergine68 08:27 PM 05-04-2009
Quote:

I have stocked up on ice cream treats, fruit leathers and roll ups, snackie items galore etc. We are coming back into "on the go" season .
I was just thinking about this! Having a plan for stockpiling the (healthier) convenience foods for outings really makes a lot of sense.

Was just going to buy several boxes of our approved brand of dried fruit bars. I should think about it and plan more generally.

My 3 yr old is the main pantry raider in our house. Have to figure out how to hide the familiar treaty labels from him!
Cullens_Girl's Avatar Cullens_Girl 07:34 PM 11-10-2009
subbing and bumping... great thread!
Juvysen's Avatar Juvysen 07:59 PM 11-10-2009
Anyone stockpiling in case of quarantine issues that may eventually be related to swine flu?
SeekingJoy's Avatar SeekingJoy 09:09 PM 11-10-2009
Not really. I just re-organized/re-inventoried my pantry stockpile. We would be fine for 3+ months, despite not really making any bulk purchases in more than a month. Now, if I didn't have this food, I certainly would be.
Ianthe's Avatar Ianthe 09:40 PM 11-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Anyone stockpiling in case of quarantine issues that may eventually be related to swine flu?
I stockpile for a variety of reasons, emergency preparedness is one of them

Thanks for the bump! I've missed this thread!

On a personal note, I am SOOOOO excited Costco accepts food stamps now! (DH got laid off last month)
Aubergine68's Avatar Aubergine68 09:48 PM 11-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I stockpile for a variety of reasons, emergency preparedness is one of them
This.

I did a lot of home canning and freezing of produce in September and October, which means that my pantry is pretty full right now as it is. If it turns out that we need a stockpile for quarantine reasons, we could certainly consider ourselves prepared.
Juvysen's Avatar Juvysen 10:31 PM 11-10-2009
My stockpile has sadly waned over the summer, because I got pregnant and we had to start paying for the homebirth and preparing to buy a larger car I'm somewhat freaked out over this. I think we could probably reasonably do a month... more than that would be pushing it. *sigh*
AllysonB's Avatar AllysonB 02:35 AM 11-11-2009
I am pretty new to this, but have become quickly addicted to this way of thinking. It is only me and my boys. We are on FS and have never had such an abundance of food. I don't know where to put alot of it, since we have had to downgrade to 900 sf. I am still learning about storing all of it though. For example if I store grains/rice in a 3/5 gallon bucket, does it need to be in a bag/pillowcase also? I would likely be getting into it to fill up the cabinet stock, so maybe 1-2 times a month?
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 05:12 AM 11-11-2009
we are stockpilers too - I probably have enough to last us a year or so in the house.
happyhats's Avatar happyhats 05:31 AM 11-11-2009
I've just gotten into stockpiling, as well as couponing. I don't know why I never lived this way before. I thought I didn't have the room. I thought that couponing was a hassle. Granted, I don't coupon like some people. I haven't run out of the store with two or three hundred dollars of groceries for twenty dollars. But we DO have two hundred dollars of our grocery budget left over and thats with occasional splurges.

I enjoy knowing I can eat out of my home for a long time. It defenitely saves money and makes me feel less of a slave to the grocery store. Right now there's not been a lot of great sales, and it's awesome knowing I can go without shopping until we go to Costco next week.

I also got more into stockpiling recently because we will soon be without foodstamps. That sounds like I just spent money willy knilly because I had aid, but that's not what I mean. We're not making that much more, really, so we do have to be careful. Also, not relying on food stamps to eat opens up a lot more possibilities, as there are a lot of u pick farms and stands on the side of the road, etc that we couldn't take advantage of. This year we can. And we can especially take advantage of it if we know we have enough meat, cereal, milk, grains, etc already saved up for us.

For me, it's also a matter of waste. Buying that fifty pound bucket of sugar means I don't buy a lot of little bags. It ALSO means I'm more likely to cook a sweet from scratch. Same with potatoes, grains, other produce. I'm not running to the store, or running out for fast food NEARLY as often because I have so many options right at home.
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 12:21 PM 11-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Wow, reviving my old thread!

Well not really related, but I just got a whole hog this week, and I cannot tell you how many swine flu jokes I have received from it.
Juvysen's Avatar Juvysen 12:33 PM 11-11-2009
Quote:
Wow, reviving my old thread!

Well not really related, but I just got a whole hog this week, and I cannot tell you how many swine flu jokes I have received from it.
Love it

Well, I didn't revive the thread - the person before me did, but it reminded me to ask if anyone's leaning that direction.
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 12:49 PM 11-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
I've just gotten into stockpiling, as well as couponing.
We do the same - have for years now.

Only dilemma is what to do with the large amounts of free after coupon things that we don't use a ton of.

Could we talk on this thread about using it up? Or shall I start a new thread?
Leta's Avatar Leta 12:53 PM 11-11-2009
We've been on a self imposed semi-quarantine, and I have been grateful for our stockpile, I'll tell you what.

Several little kids on this street have gotten H1N1, and our school district, as well as the very close by neighboring district both shut down for about a week due to the high number of kids with the flu.

However, that means I'm going to spend more $$$ than usual tomorrow when I go shopping, because we are actually out of stuff like butter and coffee (we almost never run out of these items, just rotate thru), plus Thanksgiving is coming and I want to do some Christmas shopping... sigh.

The good news is that the grains and legumes and veggies and condiments have all held out, I still have plenty of these.

Over the past two weeks, I have made succotash and hoppin' john and mujadara and pasta fagiole and pea soup and chili and veggie sloppy joes (lentils) and black bean/brown rice burritos, all very vegetable heavy meals, based around legumes and grain, completely out of the pantry, so I'm feeling good about that. Interestingly, carnivorous DH has been loving it. All I have to do is melt a couple tablespoons of bacon fat into a "boring" vegetarian meal, and he's happy.
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 12:05 PM 11-12-2009
Leta, do you live near me, I want to come for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

LAst spring when Easter and passover were in the same week, the grocery sales were incredible here. One local store had the pasta I normally buy on sale for 79 cents for a 1 lb bag. I bought 20 bags. We just finished that up this week. And my kids eat pasta at least twice a week. I bought 4 bags of each: elbow (mac n cheese), mostochooli (tunnels as dd calls them) rotinni, and a few others. So now will buy a few but wait until they do another sale and buy it again! So for under $20, I fed my family meals for 6 mos at least twice a week. This includes pasta salad with home made dressing, veggies from my garden, mac n cheese, baked pasta dishes which cost about $4 extra to make and can feed 10.
KayTeeJay's Avatar KayTeeJay 02:20 PM 11-12-2009
Wow, you mamas are amazing! I am just beginning my foray into bulk buying and cooking in advance/freezing and everything. I have really never couponed either, and when I look at my budget, I KNOW it is costing me money.

I admittedly havent' been through the thread to see if this has been discussed already, but does anyone have advice on the best containers for bulk flour, sugar, etc...? And does anyone have any recipes for hearty dishes made with beans or lentils that I could make for a hard-working, meat-loving man?
frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama 02:56 PM 11-12-2009
Quote:
One local store had the pasta I normally buy on sale for 79 cents for a 1 lb bag. I bought 20 bags.
wow - this really shows me how widely prices vary from place to place. I normally pay .79/lb for pasta, and often catch it on sale for .59/lb.

That's for plain cheap pasta though.
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 10:34 PM 11-12-2009
Its the store brand so it would be considered more cheaper pasta. But the quality and taste is right up there so we always buy it.

Now the biggest challenge I have right now, is the freezer. We bought our whole pig. Its taken up about 60% of the fridge right now. Need to make room for the beef coming in Feb. I can store about 30 lbs of the ground beef upstairs in the normal freezer, but the other stuff might be crazy for a while. So we plan on eating a larger ham (tried thanksgiving to no avial) and some of the other stuff at least once a week for a while. Should not be hard, considering this pork is so so yummy!
Leta's Avatar Leta 11:08 PM 11-12-2009
You know your toddler lives a stockpiling house when...

"Mo-om! I need moos juice! Pease!"

"We're out of juice right now, babe."

"Mama, get juice fromma base-ent."

"We're even out of juice in the basement. I'll get more later today when I go shopping."

"No juice inna base-ent?"

"Nope. We finished the last can this morning."

*Long pause*

"But, Mama... We not get juice atta store. We get eggs an 'nanas atta store. We get juice fromma base-ent!"

She cracks me up.

In other news, I went shopping today and spent $235! Eek! And I forgot coffee, grumble, grumble.

Breakdown:

$50 new wireless router
$65 for 36# unsalted butter
$15 gallon giardinerra
$2 4 rolls
$3 1/4# fancy lunchmeat
$12 three giant bags of cereal
$7 my lunch on the fly
$9 quick dinner at home
$12 ten cans juice concentrate
$8 25# flour
$5 10# sugar
$6 3# chocolate chips (unplanned but on sale)
$4 2# walnuts (unplanned but on sale)
$5 gallon of dill pickles (our homemade pickles spoiled )
$10 new razor and five blades for DH
$6 eight toothbrushes
$4 DH's deoderant
$1 loose leaf
$1 bathtub hair catcher
$1 photos
$2 Qtips
$3 picture frame
$6 brown leggings for me

I've already spent $30 this month- eggs, produce, two pairs of shoes from Goodwill for DD, sewing supplies- so after today, I have $80 left in my household budget for the rest of the month. Once I buy coffee, I'll have about $70 left. That should be fine, tho', especially as I get WIC again on the 22nd.
mrsjtc's Avatar mrsjtc 10:03 AM 11-13-2009
My hubby is getting an unexpected $1000 bonus next Friday (apart from his Christmas bonus - his boss is awesome!) and I think we're going to spend some of it on stock piling.

I'd love some ideas! We have a freezer full of grassfed beef, canned fruits and some tomatos from our garden, 50 lb. oats, 25 lb. popcorn, 100 lb. potatos and then just some random boxes of pasta and cereal.

I'm hoping he'll want to spend around $200 on stockpiling. Ideas?! Lists? Load my basement, ladies! I'm SO excited to do this!!

ETA: We're big meat and cheese eaters, not so much with legumes. I like them for lunches but I can't pass it off as dinners too many nights each week. I bake mostly from scratch and will probably buy 50lb. ww flour and 50 lb. AP flour. We also have 100 lb. wheat berries, anyone know other ways I can use those until we replace our wheat grinder?
Hazelnut's Avatar Hazelnut 01:06 PM 11-13-2009
What kinds/how many storage tubs does it require for that level of storage, can I ask? I don't have that much, but I'd like to get some more.
jewellz's Avatar jewellz 04:19 PM 11-13-2009
Subbing. This is me. I have a whole (bed)room dedicated to food. Tons of shelving and even a shelf just for cans that FIL made. We have food allergies so have to be prepared incase something happens and wouldn't be able to borrow food from neighbors or something like that.
First ... 2  10  11  12

Up