Mothering Forum banner

Buy in bulk/stock pile tribe

17K views 359 replies 78 participants last post by  jewellz 
#1 ·
You know who you are. You buy the 50 lb bag of flour and use it all. A quarter of a beef is too small, you buy the side (or more??). Your freezer is huge and so is your pantry area or storage area.

So,

Why do you buy in bulk?
save money?
hate to shop?
live too far from shopping?
All the above?
None of the above and other?

I hate to shop. I also like to save money so I buy things in large amounts on sale or in wholesale coops, or things like a side of beef etc.

This is not to debate but to share ideas etc.

#52 ·
Along the lines of stocking what we eat, does anyone else stock in an aspirational way? For example, I find that if I stock up on ice cream or some other processed "treat," it gets eaten WAY faster than we would normally eat it. So, for us, I no longer stockpile treats.

However, this same tendancy can also be used to improve our diet. For example, I do stockpile cheap/free frozen veggies and fruits. And, I find that when we have a freezer full, we eat them faster than if we don't.

Anyone else do this?

#53 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
Along the lines of stocking what we eat, does anyone else stock in an aspirational way? For example, I find that if I stock up on ice cream or some other processed "treat," it gets eaten WAY faster than we would normally eat it. So, for us, I no longer stockpile treats.

However, this same tendancy can also be used to improve our diet. For example, I do stockpile cheap/free frozen veggies and fruits. And, I find that when we have a freezer full, we eat them faster than if we don't.

Anyone else do this?
Yes to all. I do not stockpile treats, or if I do, they are things like snap pea crisps, and then I only put out, say, 2 bags at a time and then I hide the rest, lol. I have to hide them from my dh.

And yes, the more veggies we have stockpiled, the more we eat of them. Same w/meat, and 98% of our meat is all home butchered, so good and healthy!

#54 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
wow I never thought about buying in bulk through amazon. Is it really always free shipping? Is it cheaper in bulk too? I've tried to buy fish oil in a two pack and the shipping was like $12 so I passed.

It's so different depending on location too I think! I have so many stores around, but comparing prices and getting to them can still be difficult.
You just have to know your prices. Sometimes I'll buy a case of something and understand that we really have to be committed to using it in some way if it's a new item I'm not sure we'll like. Worse case scenario w/us, though, is that the chickens will eat it and then it comes back to us in the way of eggs, lol.

#55 ·
Quote:

Anyone else do this?
For us, stocking up broke my dh of the habit of binging on treats.

In his family of origin, if his mom bought a treat, she bought one, and that was it until the next shopping trip (once a week or so). His dad and he would literally fight over the larger portion of the treat, and if you didn't eat it that night, it was gone. Early in our marriage, ice cream went on sale, and I bought 4 or 5 containers. He made himeself sick eating so much ice cream so quickly, until I was all, "um, we're adults, and if we run out, I'll get you more. Chill out." Now, he can handle large amounts in the house without gorging. LOL

#56 ·
Okay, I do feel that I am a *bit* of an Amazon expert, so for those of you who aren't:

1) Most orders over $25 ship for free -- look for the bold words, something like "qualifies for FREE super saver shipping. They say that these things will take longer to ship, but in my experience things get here pretty quickly, most of the time.

This is not just groceries -- books, toys, sheets, thousands of things on Amazon. Buy some underwear and some popcorn -- ship em together, for free. Whatever. As long as they both qualify for the Free Super Saver Shipping, and total over $25.

2) I get substantially better prices by using the "Subscribe & Save" option whenever it is offered. Don't let that word "subscribe" scare you away! You click the box for it to be delivered every 1, 2, 3, or 6 months -- and you automatically get free shipping and an extra 15% off. (There is no minimum order for subscribe & save, shipping is always free. Period.) And edited to say: You can cancel these orders at any. time. No strings.

Is it that much cheaper than the grocery store? Well, it depends. I never pay MORE than I would pay at the store. If I pay the exact same amount as I would pay at the store, but it is delivered to my doorstep? Done. And yes, many times it is cheaper. Maybe only by a few cents per ounce, but I believe every single penny counts. I do save a lot vs. what I would pay for health food store items, such as organic ketchup. Especially since we do not have a good store here like Whole Foods where I can go on a regular basis. I am lucky to get to one of those kind of stores, EVER, anymore.

3) I do not pay tax on Amazon. This may vary by state, I'm not sure. But *for me* that is an automatic savings of 7% tax that I do take into account. (For non-food items. We don't pay tax on food here anyway.)

4) They do have new grocery specials each month, and they also will offer you special prices on things, based on your browsing history. For example, at Christmastime I got a Fisher Price toy that was $29.99 at ALL of my stores here, for $6.47! It was a one-time, one-day deal... but man, it was a sweet one.

#57 ·
I think there was recently a big lawsuit in NY because the state figured out a way to charge tax on amazon. I believe. I think the state won, but not sure. (I do live in NY, but usually my husband maks our amazon orders)

#58 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I think there was recently a big lawsuit in NY because the state figured out a way to charge tax on amazon. I believe. I think the state won, but not sure. (I do live in NY, but usually my husband maks our amazon orders)
Okay, I knew there was something going on with New York paying sales tax on Amazon. Maybe it's only New York then?

#59 ·
:

#60 ·
I kind of stockpile. No year's worth of toothpaste though, I haven't gotten that far!

We raise our own beef and pork so our freezers are always stocked with that (to dh's disappointment. He hasn't hunted in years because we just have no room!) Organic chicken went on sale a few weeks ago and mil bought several cases, so we have enough chicken now to last us quite awhile. I have a good sized garden and between that and some friends' who garden as well, my freezer stayed pretty well stocked this winter.

I do shop once a week to hit the sales and then stock up on what we eat. I usually only get enough to get us through to the next sale. I meal plan from whats in my cupboards and freezers.

#62 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
I hate to shop and I refuse to pay full price for just about anything.
Me too.

#63 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
Okay, I knew there was something going on with New York paying sales tax on Amazon. Maybe it's only New York then?
Quite possibly. It would not be shocking

#64 ·
Quote:

Anyone else do this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
Yes to all. I do not stockpile treats, or if I do, they are things like snap pea crisps, and then I only put out, say, 2 bags at a time and then I hide the rest, lol. I have to hide them from my dh.

And yes, the more veggies we have stockpiled, the more we eat of them. Same w/meat, and 98% of our meat is all home butchered, so good and healthy!
I am just starting to try to stock-pile, totally new at this. I don't have much storage room, or $$ for that matter. Several months back, my grocery store was having a sale on Ben & Jerry's-- DH's and my favorite!-- so I tried to stock up and bought several pints... YEAH RIGHT. What happened was, that we ate 3 weeks' worth of ice cream in one week, instead. Can't stockpile anything exciting, it just doesn't work!

#66 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
What's everyone storing 50 lbs. of flour in? I always look longingly at them at Sam's Club but never buy one.

I get the food grade 5 or 6 gallon buckets from the bakery at the grocery store. They give them to me for free, but I have to clean them well and get rid of the sweet smell (vinegar and baking soda along with sunshine during the summer works well for this). They are air-tight, so once I've had my flour in the freezer for a few days to make sure I kill anything that may have hitched a ride in my flour, I don't have a problem with weevils or anything.

If you want, you can buy gamma seals for them off of the internet. They screw on rather than prying the lids off. I don't bother with that.

#68 ·
1. My biggest problem is figuring out where to put stuff. First I had a broom closet turned pantry in my kitchen that got infested with moths. Bye bye, stockpile. Then I put everything on some shelving that was in the mudroom, but it's not heated or air conditioned. It got so hot in the summer, I realized some of the seals to jars had popped! Finally, I moved it all down to the basement which is working well... so far.

2. Basement, on some shelving. I'll try to get a picture. We also have a freezer.

3. My goal is try to use up the freezer stash so I can defrost the thing come spring. I also need to do a better job of eating from my stockpile and rotating.

#69 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
Where do you get the flour in such big bags, and what do you store it in? I really need to start making bread more.
: Do you need to worry about it getting buggy?

We buy bread flour in 50 lb bags at Costco. We then re-bag it in 5lb bags using our FoodSaver. I store the bags in food safe 5 gallon buckets with lids. No worries about bugs!

#70 ·
1. What have been your biggest challenges/downfalls/failures turned successes with stockpiling and bulk buying?

Hmm...I'd say first that we didn't consider we might have mice was our biggest failure. We only lost 10 lbs of pasta, though - could have been MUCH worse. We learned methods to make the food safe from critters as a result, though, so it turned into a success.

2. Where do you keep your stash?

Wherever we can fit it! We store some in the basement, some in our two kitchen pantries and much in our two freezers.

3. Do you have a goal?

My ultimate goal is a full nutritionally balanced year's supply of all food, cleaning ingredients, health & beauty items (or ingredients), and clothing.

#71 ·
amyamanda;13118979It took me a few years to build up my pantry and my habits to be able to manage food this way said:
Nope you're not alone! It also took me a good 2-3 years to build up my pantry and storage and organization of it. The great thing about this- when we moved into our current home, I knew exactly what I wanted of storage and now have a huge walk in pantry. Plus my larger freezer.

#72 ·
1. What have been your biggest challenges/downfalls/failures turned successes with stockpiling and bulk buying?

When I first started doing it I got things just because they were free/super cheap. I didn't consider how long it would take us to consume or use some things. Now I pay more attention to expiration dates! For example, I learned that we do not eat much cereal, so even if it is free I don't need more than a couple of boxes. I've also learned to rotate the stash better so I don't find out of date items at the back!

For now, in the basement because we're fortunate to have one in our rental house. If we buy a house with no basement I'll have to find a new spot. We don't have an extra freezer yet either, but I desperately want one.

3. Do you have a goal?

Right now my goal is to rebuild my stockpile! I let it get down to the smallest it has ever been. We actually started running out of things and had to pay full price which I can't stand.

#73 ·

Realizing it can be expensive at first. We don't do too much with coupons but order from the Amish instead. We bought 100 lb. of wheat, 50 lb. each of flour, oats and popcorn plus had our order of 100 lb. of potatos come in all around the same time. I will be setting money aside for more stockpiling of fresh foods int he spring/summer this year.

We have a cellar that we added some shelves to. All the canned produce, 5 gallon buckets and potatos go down there. Then we have an unheated mud room with some more cheap shelving where I keep the pasta, canned goods, extra spices, etc. We're also getting a freezer (hopefully this weekend!!) and will stock that with more meat. Our in-house freezer is insanely full. I don't let the kids open it because I'm afraid of a frozen steak breaking their foot!

3. Do you have a goal?

I would like to be able to eat freshly preserved food year round and not feel pressured to get to the grocery store each week. I still have not starting stockpiling paper products or HBA.

#74 ·

I need to keep track of what I have. Otherwise if I see something and buy then go to put it away and find I already have it. Also, keep the freezer filled to max. I have been clearing an area for my beef I knew was coming so I was freezing gallon milk jugs of water and putting them on the shelf. A packed freezer stays frozen longer in a power outage. It also is more efficient to keep it packed. Also dont use an old freezer, they eat up electricity- mine is only 2 years old.

I also rotate things. I dont buy to buy but to use. I buy 50 lbs of flour because I will use it over a 60 day time.

I have a larger pantry in my basmt. One wall is kitchen things not used everyday and the other is ceiling to floor food. Canned goods, pastas, juice, wine, wine & alcohol products such as rum etc, granola, baking supplies, nuts, rices, grains and all sorts of things. I even have valentines I bought last year and then dd2 was sick so I didnt use them. I will write them out for her class next week. School supplies I need to send since the teacher said they were out of stuff.

3. Do you have a goal?

To be able to feed our family for 2-4 weeks. I also menu track and plan out our meals with what is on hand.

#75 ·
Hi Amy- I live near you (we met via the local co op group once), and can I ask where you get your organic produce from? We did Timber Creek for a while and gave up with deliveries, but I'm thinking I might go back to save time b/c I also don't enjoy driving around to different stores for the best deal or organic whatever.
I do timber creek and their system is a lot better now than before. I hate to shop, so delivery is perfect for me!
I also do CSA, sandhill organics or grow my own.

I am also looking for places to get raw milk and organic beef, but might settle for the nonhomogenized milk that I know some produce deliveries offer.
I did my side thru another MDC mama I know IRL. Its local and grass fed angus. And wonderful and mm mm good.

Where do you get the flour in such big bags, and what do you store it in? I really need to start making bread more.
: Do you need to worry about it getting buggy?

I buy the 50 lb bag at costco or the 25 lb at Caputos depending on how much on hand I have or sale at Caputos. DH divides it in larger heavy duty bags and keeps it stored up high in a dark place in the pantry. We go thru it pretty quick.

I make a lot from scratch and am never comfy with a near-empty pantry, but am not a big big bulk buyer, and I'd like to move in that direction without turning it into a hobby
or spending too much doing it wrong, lol. My dh really wants to get an extra freezer for the basement. I suppose I don't mind, as long as there is a lock on it. I'm assuming costco is the best place to shop for that- but I'm not sure what size we should get.

Trage in Forest PArk is where we bought our freezer while buying our other appliances when we gutted out kitchen. We just bought the biggest they had since we had the room anyhow.

#76 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
1. My biggest problem is figuring out where to put stuff. First I had a broom closet turned pantry in my kitchen that got infested with moths. Bye bye, stockpile. .
Just had to add that one of the things that I stockpile in my pantry is....

Pantry Moth Traps!!!! I replace them regularly as a preventative after a nasty infestation years ago. I always, always, always keep a few spares on hand as well...

just... in.... case.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.