Buy in bulk/stock pile tribe - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate to shop and I refuse to pay full price for just about anything.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#62 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
I hate to shop and I refuse to pay full price for just about anything.
Me too.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#63 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
Okay, I knew there was something going on with New York paying sales tax on Amazon. Maybe it's only New York then?
Quite possibly. It would not be shocking

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#64 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
Along the lines of stocking what we eat, does anyone else stock in an aspirational way? For example, I find that if I stock up on ice cream or some other processed "treat," it gets eaten WAY faster than we would normally eat it. So, for us, I no longer stockpile treats.

However, this same tendancy can also be used to improve our diet. For example, I do stockpile cheap/free frozen veggies and fruits. And, I find that when we have a freezer full, we eat them faster than if we don't.

Anyone else do this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
Yes to all. I do not stockpile treats, or if I do, they are things like snap pea crisps, and then I only put out, say, 2 bags at a time and then I hide the rest, lol. I have to hide them from my dh.

And yes, the more veggies we have stockpiled, the more we eat of them. Same w/meat, and 98% of our meat is all home butchered, so good and healthy!
I am just starting to try to stock-pile, totally new at this. I don't have much storage room, or $$ for that matter. Several months back, my grocery store was having a sale on Ben & Jerry's-- DH's and my favorite!-- so I tried to stock up and bought several pints... YEAH RIGHT. What happened was, that we ate 3 weeks' worth of ice cream in one week, instead. Can't stockpile anything exciting, it just doesn't work!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#65 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 05:11 PM

Great thread! We have a freezer crammed full and I'm hoping to purchase a large one for the basement soon and grow even more this summer.

What's everyone storing 50 lbs. of flour in? I always look longingly at them at Sam's Club but never buy one.

A happy woman
#66 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
What's everyone storing 50 lbs. of flour in? I always look longingly at them at Sam's Club but never buy one.
I get the food grade 5 or 6 gallon buckets from the bakery at the grocery store. They give them to me for free, but I have to clean them well and get rid of the sweet smell (vinegar and baking soda along with sunshine during the summer works well for this). They are air-tight, so once I've had my flour in the freezer for a few days to make sure I kill anything that may have hitched a ride in my flour, I don't have a problem with weevils or anything.

If you want, you can buy gamma seals for them off of the internet. They screw on rather than prying the lids off. I don't bother with that.
#67 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 PM

So, 3 questions

1. What have been your biggest challenges/downfalls/failures turned successes with stockpiling and bulk buying?

2. Where do you keep your stash?

3. Do you have a goal?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#68 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM

1. My biggest problem is figuring out where to put stuff. First I had a broom closet turned pantry in my kitchen that got infested with moths. Bye bye, stockpile. Then I put everything on some shelving that was in the mudroom, but it's not heated or air conditioned. It got so hot in the summer, I realized some of the seals to jars had popped! Finally, I moved it all down to the basement which is working well... so far.

2. Basement, on some shelving. I'll try to get a picture. We also have a freezer.

3. My goal is try to use up the freezer stash so I can defrost the thing come spring. I also need to do a better job of eating from my stockpile and rotating.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#69 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
Where do you get the flour in such big bags, and what do you store it in? I really need to start making bread more. : Do you need to worry about it getting buggy?
We buy bread flour in 50 lb bags at Costco. We then re-bag it in 5lb bags using our FoodSaver. I store the bags in food safe 5 gallon buckets with lids. No worries about bugs!
#70 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 05:32 PM

1. What have been your biggest challenges/downfalls/failures turned successes with stockpiling and bulk buying?

Hmm...I'd say first that we didn't consider we might have mice was our biggest failure. We only lost 10 lbs of pasta, though - could have been MUCH worse. We learned methods to make the food safe from critters as a result, though, so it turned into a success.

Wherever we can fit it! We store some in the basement, some in our two kitchen pantries and much in our two freezers.

3. Do you have a goal?

My ultimate goal is a full nutritionally balanced year's supply of all food, cleaning ingredients, health & beauty items (or ingredients), and clothing.
#71 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=amyamanda;13118979It took me a few years to build up my pantry and my habits to be able to manage food this way, but I am so glad I worked at it and got over the learning curve, because I find it much easier and frugaller than the old way of shopping whenever we needed something. I think if you want to do this, you must re-assess your shopping habits AND your cooking/eating habits AND your food storage habits for it to work.

Good to see that I am not alone.[/QUOTE]

Nope you're not alone! It also took me a good 2-3 years to build up my pantry and storage and organization of it. The great thing about this- when we moved into our current home, I knew exactly what I wanted of storage and now have a huge walk in pantry. Plus my larger freezer.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#72 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 05:57 PM

When I first started doing it I got things just because they were free/super cheap. I didn't consider how long it would take us to consume or use some things. Now I pay more attention to expiration dates! For example, I learned that we do not eat much cereal, so even if it is free I don't need more than a couple of boxes. I've also learned to rotate the stash better so I don't find out of date items at the back!

For now, in the basement because we're fortunate to have one in our rental house. If we buy a house with no basement I'll have to find a new spot. We don't have an extra freezer yet either, but I desperately want one.

3. Do you have a goal?

Right now my goal is to rebuild my stockpile! I let it get down to the smallest it has ever been. We actually started running out of things and had to pay full price which I can't stand.
#73 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Realizing it can be expensive at first. We don't do too much with coupons but order from the Amish instead. We bought 100 lb. of wheat, 50 lb. each of flour, oats and popcorn plus had our order of 100 lb. of potatos come in all around the same time. I will be setting money aside for more stockpiling of fresh foods int he spring/summer this year.

We have a cellar that we added some shelves to. All the canned produce, 5 gallon buckets and potatos go down there. Then we have an unheated mud room with some more cheap shelving where I keep the pasta, canned goods, extra spices, etc. We're also getting a freezer (hopefully this weekend!!) and will stock that with more meat. Our in-house freezer is insanely full. I don't let the kids open it because I'm afraid of a frozen steak breaking their foot!

3. Do you have a goal?

I would like to be able to eat freshly preserved food year round and not feel pressured to get to the grocery store each week. I still have not starting stockpiling paper products or HBA.

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
#74 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I need to keep track of what I have. Otherwise if I see something and buy then go to put it away and find I already have it. Also, keep the freezer filled to max. I have been clearing an area for my beef I knew was coming so I was freezing gallon milk jugs of water and putting them on the shelf. A packed freezer stays frozen longer in a power outage. It also is more efficient to keep it packed. Also dont use an old freezer, they eat up electricity- mine is only 2 years old.

I also rotate things. I dont buy to buy but to use. I buy 50 lbs of flour because I will use it over a 60 day time.

I have a larger pantry in my basmt. One wall is kitchen things not used everyday and the other is ceiling to floor food. Canned goods, pastas, juice, wine, wine & alcohol products such as rum etc, granola, baking supplies, nuts, rices, grains and all sorts of things. I even have valentines I bought last year and then dd2 was sick so I didnt use them. I will write them out for her class next week. School supplies I need to send since the teacher said they were out of stuff.

3. Do you have a goal?

To be able to feed our family for 2-4 weeks. I also menu track and plan out our meals with what is on hand.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#75 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Amy- I live near you (we met via the local co op group once), and can I ask where you get your organic produce from? We did Timber Creek for a while and gave up with deliveries, but I'm thinking I might go back to save time b/c I also don't enjoy driving around to different stores for the best deal or organic whatever.
I do timber creek and their system is a lot better now than before. I hate to shop, so delivery is perfect for me!
I also do CSA, sandhill organics or grow my own.

I am also looking for places to get raw milk and organic beef, but might settle for the nonhomogenized milk that I know some produce deliveries offer.
I did my side thru another MDC mama I know IRL. Its local and grass fed angus. And wonderful and mm mm good.

Where do you get the flour in such big bags, and what do you store it in? I really need to start making bread more. : Do you need to worry about it getting buggy?
I buy the 50 lb bag at costco or the 25 lb at Caputos depending on how much on hand I have or sale at Caputos. DH divides it in larger heavy duty bags and keeps it stored up high in a dark place in the pantry. We go thru it pretty quick.

I make a lot from scratch and am never comfy with a near-empty pantry, but am not a big big bulk buyer, and I'd like to move in that direction without turning it into a hobby or spending too much doing it wrong, lol. My dh really wants to get an extra freezer for the basement. I suppose I don't mind, as long as there is a lock on it. I'm assuming costco is the best place to shop for that- but I'm not sure what size we should get.

Trage in Forest PArk is where we bought our freezer while buying our other appliances when we gutted out kitchen. We just bought the biggest they had since we had the room anyhow.

#76 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
1. My biggest problem is figuring out where to put stuff. First I had a broom closet turned pantry in my kitchen that got infested with moths. Bye bye, stockpile. .
Just had to add that one of the things that I stockpile in my pantry is....

Pantry Moth Traps!!!! I replace them regularly as a preventative after a nasty infestation years ago. I always, always, always keep a few spares on hand as well...

just... in.... case.....
#77 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Nope you're not alone! It also took me a good 2-3 years to build up my pantry and storage and organization of it. The great thing about this- when we moved into our current home, I knew exactly what I wanted of storage and now have a huge walk in pantry. Plus my larger freezer.
Oh, I totally agree. Ditto here. To do this right, you don't start overnight. It takes some time planning, then organizing, then slowly buying. I mean, what does a person spend in a year for food... we spend about $9,000. I can't lay that out in a few months. I couldn't organize that in a few months.

Planning is key. Organization is key. I actually think that unless you have your house in order, you cannot really build a deep pantry/larder successfully.
#78 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 PM

One of my first/rookie mistakes was buying or keeping stuff we just don't eat. Granted, I haven't bought ramen noodles in years, but for some reason I just kept those packages that hubby brought into our marriage. Things like that have since gotten culled out for the food bank if they're still good, and I'll only buy/can things we actually use. Two years ago I was a bit zealous since I was starting to really do home-canned goods, and made apricot preserves. We don't eat apricot preserves. Or peach pie filling. *sigh* So I have friends that I keep pawning stuff off on and getting empty jars back. I'm still learning.

Another challenge has been figuring out just how much of things we eat in the course of a year. Making sure we have enough jam to last until the next berry season, planting enough beans to be able to can enough for the year, that kind of thing. It's hit and miss, and perpetually changing because the kids keep getting bigger and eating more and the growing seasons have been... funky as of late.

The pantry in the basement (two solid walls of shelves, it's around 10x10' if I had to guess). A 13cf freezer in the laundry room. A fridge/freezer in the garage. A fridge/freezer in the kitchen.

3. Do you have a goal?
About a year's worth of food on hand from harvest season. Basically enough to last us until the next season of whatever (strawberries, peaches, apples, whathaveyou).
I've learned we go through more than 75lbs of sugar in a year between the canning and baking. *sigh* At least I got 50 of those pounds for less than $15.
Another goal is to get as much from my gardening space in the backyard as I can. It's fenced and the majority of it isn't visible from the street, so that's good (people were already stealing food from people's gardens last year from what I heard on another forum).

A dream would be an honest-to-goodness root cellar with the only access being from inside the house. Partly because I'm worried about theft, partly because I'm lazy and don't like going outside in the winter if I don't have to. Then I could actually store root crops (potatoes, carrots, etc.), some apples, and winter squashes for a while. Most of our house is too darned warm because of the wood stoves.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#79 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Oh, I totally agree. Ditto here. To do this right, you don't start overnight. It takes some time planning, then organizing, then slowly buying. I mean, what does a person spend in a year for food... we spend about $9,000. I can't lay that out in a few months. I couldn't organize that in a few months.

Planning is key. Organization is key. I actually think that unless you have your house in order, you cannot really build a deep pantry/larder successfully.
Adding my agreement. I was pretty satisfied with my level of pantry-ing. We probably kept a 5 months of real basics, but there were plenty of things that we regularly eat that I could never get enough back-ups on. However, in the last couple of months I decided, for reasons or preparedness and convenience, to step it up a bit. With a tight budget, I am just buying a couple of extras of what I want when I shop. I figure in about 6 months I will be where I want to with the food storage. You also have to figure on growing (and changing) appetites as well. My ds, now 5, has changed my 4 month supply of ketchup to about a 3 week supply of ketchup! I can only imagine how much my other supplies will have to grow over time to keep up with growing appetities...
#80 of 360 Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

One thing I need to add- cut your losses. Like you stock up on fruit leather and then as we all know, suddenly the kids dont like it anymore. Give it to the food pantry or pass it along to another family who will eat them. The reason I know- at the preschool a mom handed me a bag full of fruit leathers. She knew my kids ate them and her kids would not eat that particular flavor. The next day, I brought 10 of the types my kids ate last. So she was happy I reciepricated.

Try things out first before stocking up on it. No use stocking up on canned beans if no one eats them.

A neighbor suggested the other night at a superbowl party to call the food pantry about my "extras" w our side of beef purchase. The tongue, liver, and heart are used a lot in various cooking for different cultures and some people would be happy to use it instead of it sitting in my freezer waiting for me to go thru all the steaks etc.

#81 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 09:01 AM

Oops, this got long, sorry!

Learning to estimate how much we really use of things (and psychically anticipate what the kids will suddenly refuse to eat, LOL). I keep getting better at that while I go, but I have failed miserably at times.

Refusing to admit that we just aren't ever going to use up certain things, and hanging onto them way too long (but then gifting them to a friend feels good).

Underestimating how perishable some things are. I hate it when I buy too many bags of carrots on sale and they start getting slimy before we use them. (And do I ever learn? I just bought 6 5-lb bags of carrots on sale yesterday! I think I need more of those green bags to repackage them in.)

Learning to keep the stockpile off limits to pets. I lost an entire bushel of potatoes and two nearly-new bushel baskets last month. I will spare you the details.

Keeping our diet interesting while eating from pantry. Finding varied and acceptable recipes that use only or primarily the ingredients I consider standard in my pantry. The more recipes you find that can do this, the more successful you'll be at pantry-eating. Also I have learned over time that the more flexible you can be in your cooking, the easier you can eat from pantry. If you are stuck following recipes to the letter, you'll have to shop when you're out of an ingredient.

Not buying stuff simply because it is a good deal. That took a lot of practice for me. Unless it's exactly what we use and like, and I know we won't go through it too slowly or too quickly, I won't buy it in bulk.

Learning the hard way to NOT stock certain ingredients that might make me use up other spendy ingredients too fast. If I have cocoa or lemon juice in the house, I use up way too much maple syrup (spendy) making hot chocolate and lemonade. I stopped buying boxes of soymilk/ricemilk/almondmilk because I was making yummy mama-drinks with them like there was no tomorrow. We don't otherwise drink boxed milk and we can easily get by without it, so we do - but I used to buy a case when it was on sale, until I realized I was wasting that $$.

More below under treats...

Garage (bins, buckets, and shelves), under the bed, clothes closets, laundry room, downstairs playroom (like a basement), behind the living room easy chair (kittycorner to the wall). The garage gets too cold in winter for some things.

3. Do you have a goal?

I want to learn how to rootcellar carrots and cabbage and work that into our pantry plan. Unfortunately, we don't have a spot in the house that has root cellar conditions. Our garage freezes in winter, our basement is musty/warm, the laundry room can get very cold (high 40s) but it's full of sunlight, and our bedroom walk-in closet is stuffed pretty tightly (also I'm not sure I'd want to keep buckets of sand in there, or cabbage).

Also I want to learn to contribute more from our garden to the pantry. More canning and freezing this year.

About storage: I get 5-gallon plastic buckets from our co-op deli. I line them with those gigantic ziplocks, which I am pretty sure are food grade. That way if the grain/flour spills it isn't just loose in the bucket. I keep a lot of things in regular Rubbermaid totes (stacked up high) and so far have not ever had a problem with mice getting into those or the 5-gallon buckets, though we definitely have mice in the garage.

Are gamma lids worth buying? I use the regular lids and they are a bit of a pain to get off sometimes. Also, I wonder if the gamma lids are significantly more airtight?

About treats: This is another thing that I have learned the hard way, and mostly it has to do with assessing my own self-discipline, because even if I buy something "premium" and keep it mum, *I* still know where it is... If I buy a treat for DH, it has to be something I don't like at all. If I buy a treat for the kids, we have to eat it, all together, that very day, or it will get nibbled at by...er...someone. The good thing is that eating from pantry and imposing this kind of necessary self-discipline means we eat healthier. If it isn't in the house, we don't eat it, so I'm more careful about what I bring into the house.

Just before DH got laid off I bought a case of wine. I never did that before, and it was an experiment to see if we could still drink it as infrequently as usual if I bought what for us amounts to a year's supply all at once. I am finding the my willpower on that front is strong, but DH says "If we have it, let's drink it!" and I think he's missed my point. I should have completely hidden it from him! I think we've gone through a bottle a week for the past three weeks, and that is way more than we ever ever ever drink. To my thinking, it would be better to pay full-price to buy the wine by the bottle once in awhile than to buy a case, even at a discount, and go through it faster. Eating from pantry means (for us) that the premium items are that much more tempting, and I'm still learning how best to ration them.

Another thought on treats - I find that if we have to pay full price for a treat, we are less likely to buy it, or less likely to buy more than one serving's worth (or a family's serving's worth). Since DH's layoff, if he wants to use his own pennies to buy himself chocolate or beer, he can - I'm not spending my precious resources buying that stuff for either of us.

About bugs: I heard that if you freeze your grains/flours for a few days, and then (ideally) thaw out for a day and freeze again for a couple of days, you kill all the buggies. Then you can remove from the freezer and store at room temperature. I think just one freezing will probably work, but to be on the safe side, two with a thaw between is prudent. The eggs are there, nearly invisible, and will hatch if the conditions are right. (Sorry to gross anyone out). But here is my diilemma - I bought 50# of brown rice flour yesterday, and my freezer space is PACKED FULL. It will take some verrrrrrry creative rearranging to get that brown rice flour frozen, if I can fit it at all - I'm not even sure. And just my luck, we're having a "warm spell" in the 30s this week, so the garage isn't really getting cold enough to do the trick on its own. If it was below 20F in there I'd assume the garage was cold enough, but...not so much in the 30s.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#82 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post

Are gamma lids worth buying? I use the regular lids and they are a bit of a pain to get off sometimes. Also, I wonder if the gamma lids are significantly more airtight?
We use gamma lids on the buckets of food that we use frequently (pasta, flour, etc). We buy our wheat and beans in 5 gallon buckets that come sealed. When we open one of those we switch the lid to a gamma lid for ease of opening.

I like them for the convenience of opening and closing the bucket. We really don't use them on items that will store for much longer than 2-3 months so I can't really comment on the airtightness.

We bought ours from Walton Feed.
#83 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post

A dream would be an honest-to-goodness root cellar with the only access being from inside the house. Partly because I'm worried about theft, partly because I'm lazy and don't like going outside in the winter if I don't have to. Then I could actually store root crops (potatoes, carrots, etc.), some apples, and winter squashes for a while. Most of our house is too darned warm because of the wood stoves.
That's one of our dreams as well! DH actually had plans to build one last year, and then I got pregnant and the babe derailed that plan (I'm not much good as a construction laborer when I have a newborn - imagine that).
#84 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariM View Post
We use gamma lids on the buckets of food that we use frequently (pasta, flour, etc). We buy our wheat and beans in 5 gallon buckets that come sealed. When we open one of those we switch the lid to a gamma lid for ease of opening.

I like them for the convenience of opening and closing the bucket. We really don't use them on items that will store for much longer than 2-3 months so I can't really comment on the airtightness.

We bought ours from Walton Feed.
I've found that for convenience and frugality, what works for us (instead of buying gamma lids) is to keep a 1 gallon glass jar of the grains we store in the buckets. I have to get into the buckets AT MOST once a month to refill the glass jars, and often only every other month (depending on the grain).
#85 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Are the eggs really always there, or is it only if you get some with it? I've bought oatmeal from costco in a big 3-pack many times and never had bugs appear, and only started freezing it now. In fact I've only had those bugs show up once. I will freeze now as a preemptive measure just in case so they don't infest other things if they show up, but I thought it just depended on the source? I def. don't freeze my bags of flour that I get at TJs. When I did have them I just threw everything out (it wasn't that much at the time) and they never showed up again.
#86 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I want to learn how to root cellar carrots and cabbage and work that into our pantry plan. Unfortunately, we don't have a spot in the house that has root cellar conditions. Our garage freezes in winter, our basement is musty/warm, the laundry room can get very cold (high 40s) but it's full of sunlight, and our bedroom walk-in closet is stuffed pretty tightly (also I'm not sure I'd want to keep buckets of sand in there, or cabbage).
How cold does your garage get and how big is it?
Because if it's big/deep enough that you could partition off a corner of it and just insulate it from the super cold and the heat of the house, you may be in business. Just need decent air flow and drainage and you'd be in business. There's lots of groovy ideas in the book Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel, and all the temps/humidity and such that many crops need for live storage. If I could turn a corner of the garage or basement into a root cellar without a building permit, I'd be all over it (but I don't really want to put a cold root cellar by the breaker box, house water main entrance, water heater, or outside faucet, go figure).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#87 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 PM

I'm in. Just got back from a fill-in trip, or the first part anyways. Need to go to dollar general for some canned goods and seasonings but other than that we're pretty well stocked. Hubby just went back to work Monday, after a two month paid 'vacation' courtesy of multi-deployment leave from the Guard. Our income was tripled while he was gone last year, but as we all know the price of gas tripled, and the prices of just about everything else went up as well. We put a lot into paying off debts as well.

I used to be an expert at stockpiling, couponing etc. But now that we're working at eating healthier, most of the things we eat don't hold well for long periods of time. so I'm having to re-learn what we can eat and how to store it.
#88 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 PM

I'm here. Busy lately. I'll do the first question for now.

Why? Um. Lots of reasons. One, I grew up with it. My grandparents had a farm. My mom always had a full pantry/freezer/fridge. I was actually shocked when I read that most people don't have more than a two weeks' supply of food. Even at my first job, where I made 11K/year (not a typo, and this was in 2000, so, not that long ago), I had a good 2 weeks of boring food in my miniscule pantry. About the only time I don't have that much food is in the middle of a military move (and, yes, they will move canned goods if you ask ). We live in snow country, and, for example, last week, the roads were NOT safe for me to get out for a few days - they weren't horrible, but, I live on a slick hill (two, actually), and it was good to know I didn't *have* to go out to get food.

Two, I'm a sucker for a good deal. Now, I don't mean I'll buy, like a gross of grapefruit juice if it's on sale, because, we don't drink it. But, if I can get something much cheaper than usual (say, meat on sale, or fruit in season, or whatnot), I stock up then, as much as I can (I am limited by the fact that I only have an over the fridge freezer - for now). Plus, I will use good deals to buy stuff I won't buy at full price but like to have around if they're cheaper. Example: Our store has decided to discontinue stocking Cascadian Farms granola bars. So, they were on sale in the bargain carts for $1.20-1.40/box. Same with imported whole wheat spaghetti - $1/each. I bought all of them. (They also had a certain style of *ahem* prophylactic in there, with an expiration of 11/2010. After confirming that they were just being discontinued, not defective, I bought all of those, too ).

Third goes along with my second reason. If I buy 16 quarts of strawberries, well, we're not going to eat them all right away, although DD may try . I have to process them somehow (and I enjoy doing that), so, I inevitably end up with tons of jam, syrup, frozen sliced berries, etc. Or apples (dried! buttered! sauced!). Etc. They're also handy to have on hand if we get invited to someone else's house or something (I come bearing jams!).

Fourth, I like to cook and the stuff I make is almost always healthier than what I could buy (certainly cheaper than the healthy stuff). And, I like to have the ingredients for just about anything I might decide to cook on hand, barring some wildly exotic recipe. I get panicky when I get down to my last few pounds of X, or my last couple bottles of W, or I realize I don't have enough of Y to make Z. Cooking is a hobby - I don't want to have to run out to the store to buy ingredients, especially if it's 10pm on a Friday when I decide to whip something up (I may also not be in any condition to drive at 10pm on a Friday, anyway )

Finally, a little bit of "doomsday" scenario stuff. I dunno if we'd last, but, I'd hate to survive the initial "fallout" and then starve to death.
#89 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 PM

our local bulk amish story had 5lb bags of wisconsin cheddar cheese for 9.36 a bg. I bought three bags, 15lbs and am dividing it up into 4 cup amounts and vaccum sealiing it. I am going to try freezing some of it and see how it keeps. the amish ladies there said they freeze it and it comes out perfect.
#90 of 360 Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Just before DH got laid off I bought a case of wine. I never did that before, and it was an experiment to see if we could still drink it as infrequently as usual if I bought what for us amounts to a year's supply all at once. I am finding the my willpower on that front is strong, but DH says "If we have it, let's drink it!" and I think he's missed my point.
My ex almost completely broke me of buying in bulk. I tried so hard (with no car, and carrying everything back to the house on foot!) to stock up on certain canned goods (mostly tomatoes and tuna) and various other things. I was willing to play pack mule if that was what it took to keep food and other basics ("oh, look! Toothpaste is on 1/3 price, if I buy two - in they go, even though I'm at max carrying capacity...hey - tomatoes, too - okay, two cans!") in the house when we were so broke. In his mind, if we had it, we had to use it. He actually used twice as much toothpaste because we had a bunch. He snacked constantly on things that I had laid in so we'd have them. It drove me crazy, and I actually stopped shopping smart for a while, because it cost too much.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page