Buy in bulk/stock pile tribe - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 360 Old 03-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing to note. When you're under stress and your adrenal glands are stressed, you need a LOT more salt. When I get stressed, I have to take in up to 1 Tbs of good quality sea salt a day just to keep my blood pressure up to normal, otherwise is drops and I have all sorts of problems. Adrenal gland issues is very common under stress, and stress-prevention is part of the reason why we store food, right? LOL

Salt is necessary for life and is a major source of trace minerals in the diet when you're using sea salt. So I think it's prudent to keep plenty on hand, especially if you're preparing against a potentially stressful issue, like job loss.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 360 Old 03-08-2009, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It can also depend on your climate. If it's very hot where you live, you're likely sweating out a fair amount of salt. My mom has very low blood pressure (occasionally passes out), so she's super careful to get enough salt when it's hot. She sometimes will drink a glass of salty water if it's really hot and she's feeling even slightly woozy, just to keep herself from passing out. Hers is an extreme case, but anyone would need slightly higher than average salt intake if they live where it's hot...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#243 of 360 Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 PM

Hmm.. good to know I am not at all anti-salt, and I only use sea salt because of the trace minerals. I just didn't realize HOW MUCH we would really use/need!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#244 of 360 Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 AM

That is interesting about the salt- no way we would go through 8-10 lbs a person per year. Of course 2 of our people are a 2and 4 y.o. My dh doesn't ever salt his food, I salt while cooking and sometimes at the table. The 4lbs per year per person is more in line w/ our consumption w/ the kiddos being way less than that.

Well, I got lots of garden planted this weekend. 18 broccoli, 18 cauliflower, 8 cabbage, 80 snap pea seeds, cilantro, leeks, many onions and a 4x4 bed of various lettuces. I am considering planting more of the broccoli and cauliflower as I would like to have about 1 head of each a week- I will be also doing a fall planting, but that still puts me short. On the cabbage I need to look at how to best store it more- About 1 head a month or so is what I use on that. I am trying to stick to basics this year, things I know we eat regularly and not anything experimental- don't want to waste my space.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#245 of 360 Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 AM

That food storage Excel spreadsheet I mentioned I was doing is finally done. Please e-mail me (in my sig line) or PM me and I will send it to you if you're interested in having a copy.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#246 of 360 Old 03-09-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I bake so I tend to go thru salt pretty well. I went thru and counted about 6 different types of salts we use for cooking. I also use just the regular salt for cleaning to scrub off things on metal or clean out drains.

My DH has what he calls "Irish" tongue and he claims you can always add more salt for him. That is as a seasoning. We do not eat much or really any processed foods, so he can add a little here and there and be ok. That is after I kept after him about it. Then during his physical our Dr said he was a bit higher on the blood pressure and try using less salt. So he told me and started using less.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#247 of 360 Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM

Amy- my husband is just the opposite- he doesn't want salt on anything. I make most everything from scratch but very simple meals and I don't do a lot of baking. I have always been more of a cook than a baker. Pretty avg week is that I might bake something 1x(like cupcakes for special Sunday breakfast) on a special week I might try baking 1 other time, but that isn't that often.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#248 of 360 Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 PM

My DH's family LOVES salt.. my MIL salts her salted tortilla chips.. I don't like too much salty taste at all. Maybe it was the way we were raised? So.. when I cook, I use a *little* bit of salt in some things, and we add what we want to our own.

#249 of 360 Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM

If you're near a Giant food store (PA and I don't know where else) there are some great deals this week. Giant brand cereal for 99 cents a box (we have cereal on Sunday mornings, and it makes a great bedtime snack). They also have sherbet for 99 cents a container. And of course, corned beef goes on sale at 99 cents a pound. I usually buy enough to have it once a month-- my kids LOVE corned beef and cabbage.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#250 of 360 Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
If you're near a Giant food store (PA and I don't know where else) there are some great deals this week. Giant brand cereal for 99 cents a box (we have cereal on Sunday mornings, and it makes a great bedtime snack). They also have sherbet for 99 cents a container. And of course, corned beef goes on sale at 99 cents a pound. I usually buy enough to have it once a month-- my kids LOVE corned beef and cabbage.
Mmmm... I love corned beef. I'll have to check out the sales. (we have Giants here - they're ubiquitous, but I usually shop at wegmans)

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#251 of 360 Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 PM

I shop anywhere with a good deal. I'm fickle that way. Here, Wegman's has better (and cheaper!) produce, but Giant tends to have better deals on other stuff.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#252 of 360 Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=crunchy_mama;13309457]I just bought it at the HFS in the next town other. Last few times I ordered it online- but decided to go local and not mess w/ shipping and such. It was $2.29 lb for Real Salt- seems like a pretty decent deal. Cheaper than what I was paying.
QUOTE]

Had to jump in and mention this. I know you prefer to not order, but for those that do, Celtic Sea Salt from Azure Standard is 22 pounds for $54. Good way to buy it. You can split it up with family/friends.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#253 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
-The Long Winter. Seriously, have you read this book? I bet I read it two dozen times as a kid, and I reread it last night. Holy $h!t. Toward the end, when they had nothing else left but some baking soda, they lived on two bushels of wheat for six weeks. A family of six. Can you imagine? I think this had a profound effect on my psyche. I mean, for God's sake, feeding your three year old hot tea and bread and nothing else for months? We would at least have peanut butter and canned tomatoes.

I think EVERYONE needs to read this book. We've had some very hard times over the last year and I have thought about this book a lot and THANKED GOD EVERYDAY for leftover Y2K supplies. Though I must admit I am "beaned out" right now.
#254 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 AM

One of the things I hit hard on in my recent articles about food storage is having some variety so you don't get appetite fatigue. So often I have people tell me, "well, at least we'll have rice and beans for six months." I have to tell them that they'd get sick of it and rather not eat. Often I recommend they try a trial of nothing but their food storage items for a week to give them an eye-opening experience of what they'd get if they did that!

Right now, we're eating almost exclusively off of our food storage, and so far I'm not having any 'not this again' issues with the family because we have enough variety that they don't have opportunity to get sick of any one thing before we move to something else. LOL

I made a long listing of all of the possible grains and bean types along with other items, to spread out what you're stocking and think about the possibilities, in order to have variety.

#255 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 05:27 PM

so, this is amazing!!! here's a link to the food storage spreadsheet.

http://www.cookingtf.com/fs101.html

i've been obsessed with it for the last day and i totally know what i'm stocking up on for this month! and probably next month too!

eh. who needs a signature?
#256 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM

That's a great spreadsheet, Krankedyann!! I'm sure it will help a lot of people. I like how separated it by the various tabs in the workbook. Mine is much different, but then, my organization seems to be different, too.
#257 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Thank you. I'm open to suggestions for other items to include.

One thing I've been thinking about is preps for infants and mamas. I'm thinking red raspberry and peppermint, stinging nettle for the nutrition, and lemon and ginger for their nausea-reducing abilities.

Anyone have suggestions as to what a pregnant or newly birthed mama should have on hand as a prep item? Either foods or other items. I'm still questioning what I should put in about infants, weighing the 'what ifs' against what I believe is best but not always possible, you know?

#258 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM

That is a really great speadsheet. I may make a modified version for us vegans though, but yours gives me great ideas!

I do not know how much we have of everything. We are now in the process of moving to MIL's basement apt, and she has a lot of our food storage at her house already. So, when we get there I can organize everything and make a consolidated list of what we have and don't have/need.

A totally agree that there should be a good variety of items. I try to buy something different (that I actually eat) every time I buy a bulk item. We have about 5 kinds of beans (Pinto, Black, Garbonzo, Lentils, and Black eyed peas) in bulk so far. We have small one lb bags of other varieties that we don't use often, but have for variety.

I also try to keep my spices well stocked. I can eat pretty much all beans and rice if they are seasoned well, and that lends to lots of variety too.

I've also been printing out recipes that I have saved online and keeping them in a binder. In case we have no power for a little while, I can still access all of my favorite recipes!

Oh.. my MIL's house has a year round free-flowing spring with the BEST water in the world! So, we don't need to store any at her house (but we still want to build a big holding tank for the spring water).

#259 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
That is a really great speadsheet. I may make a modified version for us vegans though, but yours gives me great ideas!
If you modify it, please share and I will try to do what I can to adapt the original to multiple ways of whole-foods eating. At the least I could include a range if you give me an idea of how many pounds/servings per adult on the different foodstuffs.

#260 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Wow, that spreadsheet is phenomenal! Thank you so much for sharing it krankedyann! WE LOVE YOU!!!! :

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#261 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
If you modify it, please share and I will try to do what I can to adapt the original to multiple ways of whole-foods eating. At the least I could include a range if you give me an idea of how many pounds/servings per adult on the different foodstuffs.
I honestly have no idea how many pounds/servings per adult. Likely it would just be larger portions of beans/grains? Unless I figured out how to make my own tofu (but I don't actually like tofu) to take the meat's place...

I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.

#262 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpmandee View Post
Wow, that spreadsheet is phenomenal! Thank you so much for sharing it krankedyann! WE LOVE YOU!!!! :
You're welcome I just uploaded a fresh copy because I thought of a few things I left off, like vinegar, soy sauce and other seasoning items. So if you already have a copy, you might want to take a look at what I added to the updated one.

#263 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 PM

I'm following this thread with interest. I'm really new to having a fully stocked pantry and fridge compared to some of you.

We eat a lot of eggs in our family. How do you save eggs for long term or is it even possible to do so? Can you put eggs in the freezer? Or, do you get powdered eggs for the pantry?

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#264 of 360 Old 03-10-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I'm following this thread with interest. I'm really new to having a fully stocked pantry and fridge compared to some of you.

We eat a lot of eggs in our family. How do you save eggs for long term or is it even possible to do so? Can you put eggs in the freezer? Or, do you get powdered eggs for the pantry?
I am still really new too. I only begun creating a stockpile/food storage in October. And I started getting very serious about in last month.

I think you can get powdered eggs. I have no idea about freezing them. Perhaps get a couple chickens?

#265 of 360 Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 AM

Sure, you can freeze eggs! http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/FreezingEgg.htm

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#266 of 360 Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I've also been printing out recipes that I have saved online and keeping them in a binder. In case we have no power for a little while, I can still access all of my favorite recipes!
Oh, I really should do that. Now days I pretty much just save everything in Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
That food storage Excel spreadsheet I mentioned I was doing is finally done. Please e-mail me (in my sig line) or PM me and I will send it to you if you're interested in having a copy.
This is really great

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#267 of 360 Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post

For fresh eggs (less than 4 days old), you can waterglass them. Otherwise, you can freeze them. I recommend a couple of hens for long-term sustainability.

#268 of 360 Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks mamas. I didn't know you could save that way. You learn something new everyday.

KerryAnn - Thanks so much for the helpful spreadsheet.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#269 of 360 Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the list Kerry Ann- that will certainly help me- I have always stocked up well on some things and had some other holes in my storage- right now I am working on remedying that- this will help me keep a good eye on things.

At the discount store the other day I got a few bottles of cooking wine and balsamic vinegar, as well as a couple of pounds of sugar. As well as a bottle of worchestire sauce. I need to get one more bottle of worchestire though as I didn't realize I was almost out- so I will pick that up in a couple of weeks- that way I have a back-up bottle. I don't want to get a ton, but that should last a good little while.

#270 of 360 Old 03-12-2009, 04:21 PM

I read through all the list, man that is indepth! I guess we are pretty simple people because I don't use that wide variety of ingredients. Currently I am only using coconut oil and evoo for oil- although I should get the fat from the 1/4 of cow. We eat beef, chicken, pork(breakfast only)and shrimp, tilipia or salmon- 99% of the time for meat- occasionally I will spring for some lamb. I use black, kidney, pinto, chickpeas, lentils, and split peas and white beans. We are gf but I don't bake a lot- I have rice, teff, sorghum, coconut, almond and potato flour. But it is usually only once a week or so. I don't use a lot of grains- brown rice mostly- ds likes rice and shine for breakfast and I have started eating BRM mighty tasty. We like quinoa as well- but I have found that we are not a fan of the other grains.

I do have a question though for everyone- what are your luxury stockpile items? My big ones would be dates and coconut cream concentrate. I have various nuts and seeds as well- that I guess we really don't have to have, but we really enjoy them and they make a great snack!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page