The economy - a random discussion - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2009, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
I absolutely agree... I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, but I put good and bad in quotation marks because I don't believe that they are any such thing. Like I said, I think it's just a defense mechanism for people to cope with being afraid.

We have done ALL the right things -- no CC debt, low bills, able to meet our obligations on one income and living very frugally without any toys or luxuries. But the bottom line is that we ARE on one income now, and if I lost my job we'd be living in my mother's unheated and unfinished basement. Being "good" or "bad" doesn't matter. In fact, being frugal is kind of worse because there is just no fat in our budget to cut. I read all these lists of ways to save money, like cutting back on cell plans (we don't have one) or cutting cable (we don't have that either) or skipping a morning latte (I wish!)... I'd feel a lot better if I knew there were luxuries left to do away with in a tight spot.
This is definitely where we are right now too. I agree that sometimes doing the right thing doesn't make you better off or any more able to weather such a terrible global financial storm. Right now I am working very part time...I've been cut back to only 8 hours a week...so we are living off DH's income. While we live frugally enough to do this, any major emergencies, like car repair, means digging into our savings. We currently have a 6 month cushion in savings, but that could disappear in a blink of an eye if we had a major family emergency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
The whole point of Living Below Your Means is to put the excess into savings. Especially if you are bringing in two incomes but are living on one, the point is to put that second income into a money market account.
I don't know if this was meant to come off as snarky as it did, so I'm going to assume that the attitude was unintentional. But I think this is sort of what I'm talking about with assuming that people are all "good" or "bad" or at least dumb.

Are you supposed to put the extra in savings? Yup! But what if, just as an example, you recently graduated from college and haven't had much time to build up significant savings? And then, say, had some emergency expenses that ate up much of your savings. And then lost the second income so it wasn't there to bank. You might perhaps, without being stupid or bad or doing anything that was "wrong", arrive at a point where the economy sucks donkey balls through a straw and you're living on one income with out a lot of choice or cushion to fall back on because hey... life happens!

My honest belief is that there's a lot more "life happens!" out there than there is bad and stupid people.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather View Post
My honest belief is that there's a lot more "life happens!" out there than there is bad and stupid people.
Absolutely agree with this. Folks sitting on their high horse enjoying the view and pontificating to the little ones below haven't had their horse drop dead underneath 'em. Life is not always a friendly journey.

Back to cultivating optimism and compassion IRL...

User Tag List