The economy - a random discussion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Edited out my OP, since the discussion doesn't have much to do with what I originally intended.
#2 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean, I had the same experience with a different story. The Washington Post ran a story about how many kids are being left home alone because their parents can't pay for childcare at their new jobs. They were pretty much finding them because the school age kids were truant because they were staying home to watch infants and toddlers.
#3 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean, I had the same experience with a different story. The Washington Post ran a story about how many kids are being left home alone because their parents can't pay for childcare at their new jobs. They were pretty much finding them because the school age kids were truant because they were staying home to watch infants and toddlers.
That is very sad
#4 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 AM

I've been hearing so much bad news from my DH's family back in CA,it has me so rattled.Our BIL was just fired from his job and his wife is only doing tax work right now.DH's dad just got fired and his mom was forced into an early retirement from Mervyn's which just went out of business.Dh's cousin was renting a house and a lady came asking why she was living there since it was now bank owned.The owner had been pocketing his cousin's rent checks.Now, she has 30 days and the last rent check to find a new place for she and her 5 kids in an area of the state that is the poorest in the best of times.I keep hoping that I don't hear any bad news from my side of the family.We are facing the idea that DH might have to reenlist to be prudent....and freedom is so close for us.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#5 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 05:23 AM

I feel guilty. For the time being we are well insulated from the effects on the economy. I can't do anything to help. I worry about family but I wouldn't even be able to open my house to them if it came to it.
#6 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I know this is really petty but I feel a little vindicated. My dh was unemployed for 18 months, a few months of 2006, ALL of 2007 and the beginning of 2008. We got so many comments and useless suggestions. SO much judgment and "I'd work at McDonalds to support my family" type comments. Well, McDonalds doesn't want to hire an administrative assistant. They want someone in the food industry. While we were living on our credit cards, we got charitable donations in our name gifts. It's great people do that but it kinda hurts when you can't afford food. Hopefully people will be a little less judgmental about unemployed people now.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
Dh's cousin was renting a house and a lady came asking why she was living there since it was now bank owned.The owner had been pocketing his cousin's rent checks.Now, she has 30 days and the last rent check to find a new place for she and her 5 kids in an area of the state that is the poorest in the best of times.
If I'm not mistaken, there are new federal laws about protecting tenants of foreclosures. Perhaps they didn't pass or there are restrictions, but I would have her look into it. She may be able to pay her rent to the bank. Just a thought.

As to the OP's questions. I am not at all numb to what is going on. What is happening is a significant and historical period of time. I feel more and more everyday that we are at the beginning of a depression. If you become numb or close your eyes, you're going to be the hardest hit. People need to really pay attention these days. Ignoring the news doesn't make it go away. When you have your head in the sand, your backside is in the air.

I'm not trying to be gloomy, but the outlook is not good and there is nothing good that can come from ignoring it or becoming numb to it. The question right now is... are you the grasshopper or the ant?

As to the personal impact... dh is a tenured professor and while he seems to have a recession-/depression-proof job in a discipline that has the same staying ability we don't assume we are bullet-proof. I have a good friend whose dh has lost his job. They come over once a week for dinner and we send them home with some extras. We continue to stock up and are now able to start put away some for family that will most likely end up sleeping on our couch.
#8 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 AM

No, not numb. For example, I pretty much dropped the idea of my husband finding real work sometime last year. Now he is in school full-time for at least the rest of the year.

As soon as my tax check comes in and a few others, all of my major irregular expenses will be paid for a year plus a 4-5 month FFEF. The only thing to really do is keep saving and waiting to see if an ax falls or not. In the case of my current job, that seems fairly unlikely before the year is out. As long as the job lasts until next tax season, things should be decent enough for me.
#9 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 AM

I feel completely paranoid and just never at ease. My job is safe- for now. But I have been looking at emergency exit plans. I can't count on my job existing next year. I've been taking on any babysitting or tutoring job I can get my hands on, which hasn't been very much at all. I have plenty of cans in my pantry, but only enough to get me through twenty days, so I need to buy more for sure.
#10 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Whoa, okay, maybe numb was the wrong word for it. My point was, it's no longer shocking to hear about most of these things anymore. While I feel for people losing their jobs, it's becoming so much of the norm lately, that it seems sad to me (as I know it is for most, esp those that have lost their jobs).

THAT is what I meant. Maybe it's a wee bit better explanation and won't get anyone in a huff.

Like most, I am worried, pinching pennies, trying to plan for the future as much as possible and so on. But hearing from a friend that she has lost her job, or that my DH's work hours are being cut - it's just not as shocking to me anymore. But then I heard that some of the school districts would be letting kids out for the summer earlier than usual - and it hit me all over again.

Carry on.
#11 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 AM

oh yeah. I cant tell you how paranoid I am on a daily basis. My fil just got layed off, hes 62. He was a national manager for a large food company. what the heck is he going to do now. Dhs job is always laying off.
My question what happens when there is no more unemployment because there are so many people on it. what happens then?
#12 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
For the time being we are well insulated from the effects on the economy. I can't do anything to help. I worry about family but I wouldn't even be able to open my house to them if it came to it.
I know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
I know this is really petty but I feel a little vindicated. .... Hopefully people will be a little less judgmental about unemployed people now.
In a way, I know what you mean. As young college students starting a family, we have been poor and trying to live frugally and makes ends meet and avoid debt for five years. Now we are finally doing well-- our hard work and our sensible economizing is paying off in these harder times, while other people who were overspending and living beyond their means are crashing and burning. It feels like "I told you so" but at the same time, I feel really bad for them, too.

On the other hand, though, I often felt tempted to spend more than we did, so I feel like we actually came really close to being one of the ones who was feeling the repercussions . . . It was our religious beliefs that kept us on the straight and narrow financially speaking, so, if not for God's guidance, I probably would be in a bad place financially, too. So that's humbling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
What is happening is a significant and historical period of time. I feel more and more everyday that we are at the beginning of a depression. If you become numb or close your eyes, you're going to be the hardest hit. People need to really pay attention these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Whoa, okay, maybe numb was the wrong word for it. My point was, it's no longer shocking to hear about most of these things anymore.
I know what you mean.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#13 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I~love~pie View Post
My question what happens when there is no more unemployment because there are so many people on it. what happens then?
Probably a WPA-type program, I'm guessing.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#14 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 10:21 AM

No not numb, but I do feel empathy for those folks going thru hard times. However, on the other hand I almost feel that this is a good thing. America was leading the charge in over consumption, living on the edge of credit use and outrageous home prices compared to all historical numbers.

We saw all this coming a few years back and thus prepared by getting rid of our debt, lowering expenses and expectations as well as learning new skills. We are far from done on this quest, but we did start.

I really have no control over my job, I feel pretty insulated as I am now the only person in my department, but even that is not a gaurentee of anything. I try to only worry about the things I can control and influence myself.

So while I do have real empathy for those losing jobs and are now facing tough personal situations, I almost feel at times that it's the greater good for Americans, the world really, and the collective "we" has finally had a bit of a wake up call.

Personally, I think it's going to get worse, a lot worse before it gets any better. And in all honsetly what I worry more about these days is the monetary system. Our dollar has long since been anything more that pretty painted paper and the last stimulus as well as the new stimulus in the works only compounds the problems. When I see our government doing the same things that have failed time and time again in history, but expecting different results.....
#15 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

Not a local news story, but our office has an opening for a driver. (Two of our drivers got themselves fired for testing positive on drug tests). So, boss put an ad out on Monday. We got about 500-600 phone calls and 300 applicants and boss is going to pick out the 20 best to run MVRs on and call references. He can only hire ONE guy.

Some of the guys (and two gals) have got real bad sob stories. One worked for Coke for 10 years and they laid him off 8 months ago - right after his wife got pregnant with their third. Another fellow was working for the city for nearly 30 years and got laid off just a few years before full retirement. Another guy owned his own business for many years, and just closed himself down, after laying guys off one at a time over the last year.

None of these people coming in to fill out applications know they are competing with HUNDREDS of other guys. It's sad. And I am more and more amazed at our two fired guys who tested positive on their regularly scheduled annual exams.
#16 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
Some of the guys (and two gals) have got real bad sob stories. One worked for Coke for 10 years and they laid him off 8 months ago - right after his wife got pregnant with their third. Another fellow was working for the city for nearly 30 years and got laid off just a few years before full retirement. Another guy owned his own business for many years, and just closed himself down, after laying guys off one at a time over the last year.

None of these people coming in to fill out applications know they are competing with HUNDREDS of other guys.

#17 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Banned

Oh, and one of my husband's coworkers is competing for "Idiot of the Year", too. He's coming in late, leaving early, smoking in Village vehicles (violation of not only his boss' rule, but also the Village regulations AND the Smoke Free Illinois Act) and in the shop around flammable materials. He doesn't respond to his phone when he is on call at night - he claims he put it on vibrate and didn't wake up, but he always is hung over the next morning.

If he wasn't union, he'd have already been fired.
#18 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 PM

[
#19 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
THAT is what I meant. Maybe it's a wee bit better explanation and won't get anyone in a huff.
I think I know exactly what you meant - a feeling of numbness from feeling overwhelmed. You can only store so much rice. Pinching pennies won't work forever. No matter how frugal a family is, there is still a need for income. The fattest emergency fund won't last indefinitely. The situation causes me an amazing amount of anxiety, mostly because there are so many variables out of our individual control.

That said, these things have historically always turned around. We're not still living in the Great Depression. I don't say that flippantly, coming from a family who survived the Depression...in the Dust Bowl...as immigrants who didn't speak English. That experience dramatically shaped my family history, not always for the good, but we're still here to tell the tale.
#20 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 PM

On one hand, I feel similarly to Denvergirlie. I do think that the course we were on previously was unsustainable. The bubble had to burst sometime. Our current economic situation doesn't surprise me, but I do have empathy for those who are having a difficult time right now.

The biggest shocker for me in the past few months was when I was talking to a friend who works in the banking industry. His bank has had to lay off employees, and the executives who were in charge of making the layoff decisions were getting death threats.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#21 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM

I am seriously getting depressed by the news as well as things I am seeing first hand.

We have people coming to the office everyday putting in applications. One was the husband of someone we know professionally.

This man worked 30 years for the same family-run business and was told on Friday afternoon that he was laid off. No warning. The company paid for his entire family's health insurance prior to being laid off.

This guy begged for a job and it was heartbreaking to have to tell him no. (We don't have an openning and he also wasn't remotely qualified.)

He is looking at Cobra payments of more than $1,000 a month to keep his family's health insurance. His wife works but the cost to pick up the family at her job is about the same.

Things like this make me think about every dollar I spend, which is something I often do until recently

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#22 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 PM

We are very, very lucky in that DH has excellent job security. I am so grateful.

The story that affected me the most was that of our good friends, R & M, and their situation compared to our other friends, K & C and H & J. They are still living downstate, in SE MI, an area that's been on a downhill slide for some time.

(DH and I saw how bad it was getting and fled like nervous rats on the Titanic. While I have never regretted this decision, at times I do feel a little guilty that we got out while the gettin' was good.)

R started working at the Saline Ford Plant when he was 22, when M got pregnant with their DD1. He never wanted to work there, but his dad was a millwright, and he needed a good job. R has maxed out his 401(k) and his sponsored credit union account every single week he's worked. He was always paranoid, or so I thought. He has said from the beginning that it was only a matter of time before Ford went bankrupt. I thought he was crazy. R is 31 now, and for their entire marriage, M has either been a SAHM or a part time assistant preschool teacher. Nonetheless, they own a home, have zero consumer debt, have only ever had one car payment at a time (and given what they are driving now, I doubt that they have any car payments), and have over $50,000 sacked away in a money market account. No matter what happens, R & M will land on their feet. This happened because, despite the fact that R was making $80,000 a year, they lived like he was making $30-$40K. They always lived on what he would've brought home working a straight 40 (no OT), after payroll deductions. And it worked. They'll be fine.

On the other hand, our other friends, K & C and H & J are not doing so well. Both couples have small children and one parent who SAH. Both breadwinners made as much, sometimes more, as R.

But H & J spent it as fast as he brought it home, faster really, since they have lots of CC and car debt, atop of a mortgage that's only about five years old. Now H is laid off, forever, from the steel industry, which is dying in the U.S. Right now, they are looking at filing bankruptcy and will probably lose their house.

K & C are doing somewhat better, but they are older, with more retirement savings and more equity in their home. C has worked at the phone company for 20 years- her job pays well and is pretty secure, but she has had to take cuts in her hours lately- too many people dropping landlines and getting internet from the cable company (which is also bleeding, or so I hear). K & C also have lots of debt, so they have had to cut way back on things like gasoline, dance, gymnastics, visits to and from family, etc. It hurts, because C is working as much as she can just to scrape by- payments and food, that's all her paycheck does.

Back to R & M- the preschool M has worked for for years closed it's doors after 40 years. It was the top rated preschool in the county. They didn't have enough students, and thereby tuition, to make it through the year. This made me really sad- people are cutting out things like preschool just to make ends meet.

R & M had a Christmas party this year. Eight families came. Out of the fifteen adults there, FOUR were employed. R, C, my DH, and our friend A who's a nurse. R is just waiting for his forced buyout ("Any day now") and C, at the age of 40, is desperately hoping that she has a job for another 10 years so she gets to hold on to her retirement. Even A, who has a BSN, said that lots of her nurses (she's a manager) are being laid off in favor of new grads who the hospital can pay less. My God, laying off NURSES?! Where does this end.

Of all the employed people at this party, DH makes the least and has the best job security. And I wouldn't change that at all. That fact scares me as much as anything.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#23 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Not a local news story, but our office has an opening for a driver. (Two of our drivers got themselves fired for testing positive on drug tests). So, boss put an ad out on Monday. We got about 500-600 phone calls and 300 applicants and boss is going to pick out the 20 best to run MVRs on and call references. He can only hire ONE guy.

None of these people coming in to fill out applications know they are competing with HUNDREDS of other guys. It's sad. And I am more and more amazed at our two fired guys who tested positive on their regularly scheduled annual exams.
My bold -

We average 25 to 30 guys in the field so I have seen all types come and go. Prior to working here, it never would have occured to me that someone could do something so stupid.

Now I know different. Not just failing a drug test but just general lack of self-motivation and responsiblity.

I don't know if this economy will be enough of a wake-up call or not.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#24 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 PM

DH and I are actually pretty cynical when we hear a lot of the news spots. Most of them sound way worse than they are.

When a company says that they're laying of 10,000 people, a lot of those are not real people. Many are empty positions that the company has decided not to fill, contractors that won't be hired back (and contractors are typically paid more because their positions aren't as stable, and a contractor should be prepared for lapses between contracts), or jobs that were going to be created but the expansions or projects were cancelled. So, 10,000 working humans did not lose their jobs when the news reports 10,000 layoffs.

It's also the hot news story. Anything pertaining to layoffs or the economy gets covered. It's like after a major air crash, all minor air incidents, which are not normally news, make the news because that's what people are interested in.

DH actually told me this morning that companies are also opting to release bad news now because people are braced for it and expecting it. So a company that may have been planning to do a downsize in eight months anyway will take advantage of the fact that people are expecting bad news and announce it now.

We're also not from the US originally, and don't know anyone who has been personally impacted by the economy and the layoffs. Because of this, what we know about the crisis is mostly academic, and I admit that there's a sense of "holy crap, you people did this do yourselves." I don't mean that so much on an individual level. We aren't blaming working stiffs and young families. Rather, in Canada, there are systems in place, and a culture that better protects people from swings in the economy.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#25 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
No not numb, but I do feel empathy for those folks going thru hard times. However, on the other hand I almost feel that this is a good thing. America was leading the charge in over consumption, living on the edge of credit use and outrageous home prices compared to all historical numbers.

We saw all this coming a few years back and thus prepared by getting rid of our debt, lowering expenses and expectations as well as learning new skills. We are far from done on this quest, but we did start.

So while I do have real empathy for those losing jobs and are now facing tough personal situations, I almost feel at times that it's the greater good for Americans, the world really, and the collective "we" has finally had a bit of a wake up call.

Personally, I think it's going to get worse, a lot worse before it gets any better. And in all honsetly what I worry more about these days is the monetary system. Our dollar has long since been anything more that pretty painted paper and the last stimulus as well as the new stimulus in the works only compounds the problems. When I see our government doing the same things that have failed time and time again in history, but expecting different results.....
I have infinite amounts of empathy for anyone who is ever going through any hardship. That being said-I think this is a *GOOD* thing for our world economy. Everything was built on a shaky foundations and heck-when you don't start with a strong foundation-sometimes it has to fall so you can rebuilt something better. I think if people can sit tight, reconnect with their communities, reassess the important things in their life and focus on what they do have the turn around on the current situation will happen quicker. Yes, jobs are failing, but that is b/c those specific businesses are failing. That means they no longer serve our society-they don't work. Trying to keep a business alive that doesn't work is just prolonging the whole chaotic nature of the situation. I think we should let the chips fly-everyone help each other out while new businesses that actually reflect the current state of society (ie green businesses and more) then there will be plenty more jobs that are healthier for the environment and for the people.

I think if you are really freaked out by this you can do something. Start volunteering at your local soup kitchen, donate your kids old clothes to agencies who can get them to mom's in need. Start a victory garden this spring to cut down food costs (and eat local/organic for cheaper!). If your down think about ways you can thrive in these times. Count your blessings. Cancel your cable and start playing games at night, cancel your cell phones and trust that you'll be in the right place at the right time. Look at your life and readjust it to get through these times. Getting depressed doesn't help anyone. We need people to get innovative, motivated and active in their local economies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
DH and I are actually pretty cynical when we hear a lot of the news spots. Most of them sound way worse than they are.

It's also the hot news story. Anything pertaining to layoffs or the economy gets covered. It's like after a major air crash, all minor air incidents, which are not normally news, make the news because that's what people are interested in.

DH actually told me this morning that companies are also opting to release bad news now because people are braced for it and expecting it. So a company that may have been planning to do a downsize in eight months anyway will take advantage of the fact that people are expecting bad news and announce it now.

We're also not from the US originally, and don't know anyone who has been personally impacted by the economy and the layoffs. Because of this, what we know about the crisis is mostly academic, and I admit that there's a sense of "holy crap, you people did this do yourselves." I don't mean that so much on an individual level. We aren't blaming working stiffs and young families. Rather, in Canada, there are systems in place, and a culture that better protects people from swings in the economy.
I really agree with you. We have stopped listening to the news regularly and instead subscribed to the magazine ODE which highlights all the positive things happening in the world. Also, we live in a community that has been focusing on local economy for the past 5 years (even have a local currency) and there is not the panic we are hearing from the rest of the world. We are trying to keep our money local and if money did loose it's value we have tons of farmers to keep us fed and I think until a new structure was built people would just have to farm more and help their neighbors out. A strong local economy can do wonders in these situations (in fact it can avoid them all together).
#26 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 PM

Unemployment has been terrible here in Michigan for a long time and it gets worse every day. We've been experiencing economic hardship here for at least 5 years. It's taken a while for the rest of the country to catch up with us.

Last night our governor gave the State of the State address. She announced that they are closing the governmental unit that I currently work part time for. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. My DH is also a state employee, for another agency. We constantly worry about layoffs, because our state has had budgetary problems year after year.

Probably the worse new story I heard recently was of a 90+ year old man freezing to death in his own house because the utility company turned off his power and gas. Mind you, our average high temp this past month has been around 15 degrees F. I am so outraged and upset by this that I don't even no where to begin!
#27 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM

Two of our public schools are closing at the end of the school year. I guess those kids will be dispersed into the remaining schools and they will be overfull.

So glad we homeschool, but I feel so bad for the families who cannot or do not. The public school system I'm in is substandard as it is... I can't imagine how the teachers are going to do it with so many extra students in their classes.
#28 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:

this is essentially what my husband and I are facing. We chose to move back home to OR from NC last September to be back near family. My husband's industry was hiring when we came. It has taken4 and a half months to get through the same process that took us less than 2 in NC to get to the interview stage. He's applied for so many jobs where there were a couple hundred people for 2-3 positions. We are hoping and praying he gets hired on for his "real" job before budget cuts freeze hiring totally. He's working now but it's seriously just enough to pay our bills and buy some food. We're living with my mom and she helps us SO much.

I didn't know it would be this hard or we might not have come. We came because the kids and I are Native Americans and will always have health care here. My husband NEEDS ins and currently doesn't have any.

It;s defeating and demoralizing and SO stressful. I cry all the time. But I am so thankful for my family's help.
#29 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post

When a company says that they're laying of 10,000 people, a lot of those are not real people. Many are empty positions that the company has decided not to fill, contractors that won't be hired back (and contractors are typically paid more because their positions aren't as stable, and a contractor should be prepared for lapses between contracts), or jobs that were going to be created but the expansions or projects were cancelled. So, 10,000 working humans did not lose their jobs when the news reports 10,000 layoffs.

I have worked at large Fortune 500, household name companies my entire career. I never worked somewhere with 10,000 not-real-jobs or 10,000 contractors. The logic doesn't hold. At most the empty slots that remain empty are a handful.

As for the original question, I am numb to the numbers b/c they are too abstract for me other than whoa, being so large, which yeah that does make my eyes pop. What is killing me and the people around me is the cost of food. We can no longer afford what we want, we have to buy what we can afford.

Within my circle we have layoffs too. It is so hard when the sahm is pregnant and the husband is out of work.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#30 of 123 Old 02-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Every night, I watch the news and every night I see the same stuff over and over - this company is laying off 1,000 people, that company is laying off 2,500 people, etc. etc. I feel like I'm almost becoming numb to this.

But for some reason, what I heard last night really surprised and saddened me. I'm in Oregon and due to our unemployment rate (around 9%, I believe), not as many paid into state taxes for last year. Well, some school districts will have to end their year early because they are going to run out of money before their normal end of the year dates.

No debates on public schooling, please. I was just so sad to hear this. I guess the reality of the economy hit me pretty hard once again.

While people are losing jobs left and right, are there any local stories that have hit you hard?
Wow. Maybe this was addressed already, but my first thought is how hard that's going to be on the families whose children attend that school to find childcare for all that extra time (assuming both parents are working or whatever). I mean, seems like it's just going to hit families even harder I guess if one parent is laid off at least they can provide childcare during that time? But even then trying to find work is a full time job (especially in this economy!) That's soooo sad

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page