What is a reasonable food budget for family of 6? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am trying to get my arms around what this number should be. I feel like our food budget is a lot - yet I shop at Costco and Trader Joes almost exclusively? We buy almost no processed foods? I dunno - please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks -

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#2 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you spend each month?

I have a family of 4 but I provide childcare to 3 children five days a week...so I definitely spend more because of that. I'm trying to stick to $600 per month. So far so good. This doesn't include toiletries/diapers/etc.
#3 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 AM

I'm in HI and we just did a tally and we are running about 1,000 to 1,500 a month.We are a family of 6 plus random neighborhood kids and I shop at Costco and the commissary.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#4 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We spend about $550 a month plus we get WIC. That includes everything food, toiletries, etc.

Kate - Mama to Max (13), Noah (11), James (9) and Isabelle (6)
#5 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 10:06 AM

we are a family of 5 , but I have 2 teenagers, so im really feeding a family of 7 LOL. I spend on average about $200 a week, I go to the grocery at least twice a week.
#6 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

We are more like $1500/month+. I shop at Costco. I shop at Trader Joes. We buy very little processed foods. We make almost all our meals here at home.

???

Would you guys mind giving me a better understanding of what's on your list and the types of meals you make?

#7 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 12:26 PM
mtm

we are around 600 a month for our 4 including some expensive gf stuff, baby doesn't eat much so I'm not counting her. We do roast one night which gets us leftovers for second night, pasta one night, soup one night, chicken breasts one night etc. Breakfast is oatmeal or eggs, lunch is bagels and soup, hummus and crackers etc. Are you eating a lot of organic? That might bring you up a lot higher. I shop by the flyer, if its on a good sale I buy extra and put it in the freezer.
#8 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM

family of 6 here and I spend about $400 per month on food

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#9 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 PM

My budget this month is $550 for groceries (food only, doesn't include toiletries) and $150 for eating out. So a total of $700 on food. This is tight for us, but doable. Like you, we have a family of 6. My oldest DS is in the middle of another growth spurt, so he's eating about twice as much food as I do.

I pack lunches, it's usually the same thing: sandwich, piece of fruit, cut up veggie, cashews and raisins, piece of cheese. DH or I sometimes have leftovers for lunch instead.

Breakfast is fruit, cereal with milk, muffins, pancakes, sometimes crackers and cheese.

I don't have my dinner menu sitting in front of me right now, but these are the main dishes I can think of that we'll be having this month. I serve a veggie and/or salad with dinner, occasionally bread/rice/potatoes. Some of these dishes will be served more than once:
Steak and potatoes
Lemon herb pork chops
lasagna
spaghetti
enchiladas
chicken and black bean burritos
tacos
BBQ sandwiches
Burgers
Meatloaf
rosemary chicken
chicken tenders
doro wat and injera (ethiopian chicken stew)
shiro and injera (ethiopian dish)
pizza
french bread pizza
brunch for dinner (pancakes with fruit, eggs)
sub sandwiches

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#10 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 01:08 PM

I spend $400 a month and also make most of our food. We also home school so this is 5-6 people for 3 meals a day. I grind my own wheat and buy almost exclusively ingredients and vegetables (except when our garden is growing). Here is a small sampling of what we tend to eat.

Breakfast:
Eggs(hopefully homegrown within 12 mo.) & Bacon/sausage(homegrown/fed)
WW Pancakes w/ maple syrup
WW (pick your berry) Muffins

Lunch:
Various wraps or sandwiches (on homemade bread)

Dinner: Served with salad or vegetables
Corn bread and beans
Chicken over brown rice
Bread and Gravy

Now my disclaimer. When I am pg I spend more on my foods as I am very very sick the whole time and very very picky so during that time our budget goes up about $100 a month.
#11 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
My oldest DS is in the middle of another growth spurt, so he's eating about twice as much food as I do.

OT but I think it is so funny when my kids are having a growth spurt and the dinner that is usually plenty has to be supplemented because they are eating more than me or dh.
#12 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 PM

We'd have a better idea with what I thought was a reasonable amount if I knew the ages/appetities of your family members? Any restictions or allergies?

What are you eating now?
#13 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 01:18 PM

we budget about $1,000 per month for our family of 6.

I don't know if that's reasonable but it's what we spend.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 PM

There are so many variables here. Do you/can you garden? On a big scale/tiny scale?

Can buy from farmers, produce stands, CSAs, co-ops, Upick? Sometimes these places will let you work in exchange for a discount or free seconds. Yes, you will get more produce than you can eat before it goes bad, but whether you are working or just buying, to be cost effective you need to freeze/can.

Do you have any means of free (or nearly free) food- nuts, berries, apples, swaps, bartering, hunting, etc?

Do you have any food animals, or the room for any?

Personally, I don't think you can achieve a low food bill exclusively shopping at grocery stores. You have to go to restaurants, or bulk suppliers- not like Costco or Sam's, but more like Aramark or Sysco- or, best yet, straight to the grower.

We have no food animals, but we do everything else I mentioned or we cooperate with someone who does them.

I love Costco. I have never been to Trader Joe's. I don't AT ALL mean this as a criticism of either of these stores or of your shopping methods. I just think that stores *have* to mark up to stay in business, and typically, big warehouse type stores don't even have any loss leaders.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#15 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 01:31 PM

We are a family of 4 and I think we spend about $600 a month on just food including eat out. I'd like to cut this down to $400 a month if possible. I'm thinking of switching to an all cash food budget and see how that goes.

I shop at costco for lunch box items and we try to eat a lot of rice with meals.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#16 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Really depends on so much.

We are 5 people, 3 kids and two adults (one pg). We spend $400/mo. That's for no organics, a small amount of processed food (but some), meat/fish/poultry about 4-5 times per week.

We generally eat cereal, oatmeal, eggs, etc for breakfast. LEftovers, soups, or sandwiches for lunch (pb&j, etc). Dinners are simple.

Roast chicken with veggies (carrots, potatoes, onions)
Fish, sauteed or broiled, with rice, polenta, or pasta.
Pasta with any kind of sauce (marinara, alfredo, oil and garlic, etc)

We buy the cheapest cuts of meat (chicken thighs, etc), and usually onyl ground beef. I use no coupons. I shop at a variety of stores- I get most meat at an Asian market, most staples at TJs, and most produce at a discount produce place.

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#17 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Family of 6 here (soon to be 7) but two of those are teens who eat twice as much as dh and I. We spend about $150 a week, give or take depending on the week. That's a good average for us though and what I budget for.

I have really shaved quite a bit off our grocery budget and part of that was from the many good ideas I received on this forum.
#18 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineNaomi View Post
We spend about $550 a month plus we get WIC. That includes everything food, toiletries, etc.
WOW I feel shamed I have a family of 4 get WIC and spend $500

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#19 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're a family of 5, soon to be 6, and I'm trying to get our grocery budget down from over $150/week to under $100/week. It's taking me a while to get stocked up on the basics, but once I get a decent pantry stock I think I'll be able to spend less than $400/month on food for all of us. Eating mostly vegetarian and meal planning/cooking from scratch is helping a lot.
#20 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 03:21 PM

I also wanted to add, since no one else here has posted it:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/USDAFoodCost-Home.htm

This is the USDA site with governement estimates of the cost of food. They have a thrifty, low cost, moderate, and liberal plan. This isn't an average of how much people actually spend, but rather a measure of how much the governement thinks it would cost to feed a family, based on current nutrition guidelines and also taking into account the types of food that people actually buy. Most posters here at MDC think that the prices are overly high. My personal theory is that the government assumes that people eat more processed/prepackaged food than people at MDC eat.

While it's not a good measure for everyone, it's a good jumping off point at least.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
#21 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 03:24 PM

I live in a high COL area (NYC) with a family of 8 (one still nursing) and I spend about $800 a month.

This includes a lot of nonfood items and provides for separate kid/ adult meals and separate vegan/ omni meals... everyone eats something different here.

If we could all eat the same thing I could easily do it on $600/ month.
#22 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJabanero View Post

OT but I think it is so funny when my kids are having a growth spurt and the dinner that is usually plenty has to be supplemented because they are eating more than me or dh.
Totally! Yesterday, my DS had three helpings of the main dish for dinner. He was still hungry, so he ate 2 BIG apples (probably a pound in total) plus a banana for dessert. He asked for more, and I felt bad telling him no, but SHEESH! And FTR, this is a kid who definitely needs slim pants. It's just crazy.

#23 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM

As others have said, it depends on many things.

I have nowhere I can plant veggies. If I did, that would make a difference.
Some places don't really have good access to growers or to co-ops or whatever. If you do, that would make a difference.

Food costs vary wildly from one area to another. What are they like where you are? (I recently had a conversation with a couple mamas who were talking about making spaghetti for $2-$3 a batch. I can't get a pound of ground beef for $2-$3 around here...even buying non-ethical meat at a regular grocery store, in bulk. I probably pay at least another $2-$3 for the tomatoes, onion, green pepper and celery.)

Do you happen to be somewhere that allows you to keep chickens, so you can harvest your own eggs?

Are you vegan, other vegetarian, or meat eaters?

How much storage/fridge space do you have to take advantage of bulk prices and sales?

Many, many variables, yk?

I used to shop about 5 days a week, and paid wildly varying amounts each time. It was really hard to stay on top of how much I was spending. Now that I'm doing a big shop weekly, and only topping up a few things during the week (an extra gallon of milk, for example), I'm tracking things better. We're paying about $800-$850/month for groceries (that does include toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.) for a family of five. That includes one teenager. We are meat eaters, and eat a few processed items, such as salad dressings, some canned soups (I like to have a few cans in the pantry for those "it's late, we're both tired, what are we going to eat?" nights) and cold cereal.

OTOH, I buy flour, oatmeal, rice, etc. in bulk, and bake my own bread. The vast majority of our meals are made from scratch. So, there are a lot of areas I could improve, but also areas where we're being very frugal.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#24 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
I live in a high COL area (NYC) with a family of 8 (one still nursing) and I spend about $800 a month.

This includes a lot of nonfood items and provides for separate kid/ adult meals and separate vegan/ omni meals... everyone eats something different here.

If we could all eat the same thing I could easily do it on $600/ month.
I'm very impressed. I'm just not on top of things that well.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#25 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
I also wanted to add, since no one else here has posted it:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/USDAFoodCost-Home.htm

This is the USDA site with governement estimates of the cost of food. They have a thrifty, low cost, moderate, and liberal plan. This isn't an average of how much people actually spend, but rather a measure of how much the governement thinks it would cost to feed a family, based on current nutrition guidelines and also taking into account the types of food that people actually buy. Most posters here at MDC think that the prices are overly high. My personal theory is that the government assumes that people eat more processed/prepackaged food than people at MDC eat.

While it's not a good measure for everyone, it's a good jumping off point at least.
Great site to measure how you are doing. Yes there are many variables into this. It depends on where you live at also. We are a family of 7 and we spend $350 a month for food, toiletries and personal items. We eat really well. Most of what we buy is organic.

Heidi
#26 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnice View Post
We'd have a better idea with what I thought was a reasonable amount if I knew the ages/appetities of your family members? Any restictions or allergies?

What are you eating now?
I have a 6 year old and 3 - 4 year olds, DH and I

We tend to cook all our meals - and we eat mostly whole foods
I buy organic as much as I can. I do make approx 2x/mo to Costco - I buy as many organic products that they carry and are on my list - but I do tend to stock up when I'm there on produce, etc - which is not usually organic.

#27 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Add me to the 1200 or so club. I have been trying to lower it for months, but there really isn't any way to do it. Some months it's more like 1500. But I think it's just really the higher cost of food. I can't find anything to cut out of the list each week, or any way to get stuff cheaper.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#28 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Great site to measure how you are doing. Yes there are many variables into this. It depends on where you live at also. We are a family of 7 and we spend $350 a month for food, toiletries and personal items. We eat really well. Most of what we buy is organic.
Wow!! I'm impressed We are a family of 4 in WA, eat mostly organics, mostly vegetarian and I spend $150/week on groceries. I buy rice, seaweed, quinoa and a variety of beans in bulk, make almost everything from scratch, but you've got me beat hands down!! Can you give us some ideas of what your meals are like??? TIA
#29 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripMom View Post
I am trying to get my arms around what this number should be. I feel like our food budget is a lot - yet I shop at Costco and Trader Joes almost exclusively? We buy almost no processed foods? I dunno - please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks -
We are a family of 6, also living in CA and I shop at Costco, Trader Joes and WinCo. We spend $650-$700 per month. I would like to lower that but with prices going up so much I don't see it happening. My biggest savings it that we don't eat meat every night and when there is meat in the meal it's not the main food, like paste with a little hamburger mixed in the sauce or 3 chicken breast cut up and mixed in a salad to feed all 6 of us. Lots of soups that I make once and we eat for 2 or 3 meals. DH always takes left overs for lunch. Vey little snack food is bought. Popcorn is a super cheap snack and I buy a huge bag of pretzels at Costco for $5. I make cookie for treats. We make pizza evry friday night and us whatever vegi's are left over for toppings.
#30 of 33 Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 PM

We are a family of 5, and we eat from home 3 meals a day, 95% of the time. The total also includes toiletries and dog and cat food (3 big dogs, 2 cats). We eat mainly food from scratch and I make most of our baked goods (bread, pizza dough, buns). We consume huge amounts of produce (I'm finally doing a garden this year!). We run about $800-900 a month.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page