i need car buying help! save on payment each mth or on gas each mth???? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need your help mamas!

I am looking at getting a new car and need your help.

I currently have a 2007 Mazda 6. it is a base car and was never my dream car. We are looking at getting a 2005 Acura RL.

With trading my car in and going with the Acura we will save on payment every mth. By 40 dollars plus my ins will go down by 5 dollars. However, the Acura gets not as good gas mileage.

We want a lager car with more space for when we have kiddos. We also want the features the Acura offers that my Mazda currently does not have.

My 2007 currently has 45,000 miles on it. the used Acura RL has 17,000 miles.

My Mazda gets about 20/30 on the gas
the Acura gets 18/28 on gas

ASK ME ANYTHING to help me make this choice. What do you think. Keep my car or go with the Acura? Tell me what you think and why!

THANK YOU MAMAS!!!!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 03:13 PM

DO you have a loan on the mazda? How much will you be rolling into the new loan. IF your payment goes down, does your length of loan increase. If financially, it's about a wash, go with what you like best. HOw many does each seat? How well will it hold carseats?

That's all I can think of off hte top of my head.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91 View Post
DO you have a loan on the mazda? How much will you be rolling into the new loan. IF your payment goes down, does your length of loan increase. If financially, it's about a wash, go with what you like best. HOw many does each seat? How well will it hold carseats?

That's all I can think of off hte top of my head.

GREAT QUESTIONS!!!

we would trade the mazda in so bye bye loan on that car. we would roll nothing into the new car.

no the payment goes down becuase this car cost less then we got the mazda for. same loan terms.

each seats 5, however the Acura has MUCH more leg room and would better fit a child seat. the other plus to the Acura is with the summer pak it has sun things that you can put over the windows. gotta like that for the kiddos, right?

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.

#4 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 06:27 PM

I'd buy the acura as long as you won't be owing money on the old car in the trade in. The gas mileage is such a small difference that the $45 a month you'll be saving will make up for it. And you'll get the car you want.

Mom to Ninja Boy (8)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Monkey Man (6)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post
I'd buy the acura as long as you won't be owing money on the old car in the trade in. The gas mileage is such a small difference that the $45 a month you'll be saving will make up for it. And you'll get the car you want.
:

Given everything you said, I'm not clear on what the pros of keeping your old car would be - is it just the gas mileage? If so, I would definitely go w/ the Acura.
#6 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 06:50 PM

I would go for the trade personally, but if you want some math, here you go.

Save $45 a month, but worse (not much) gas mileage

Mazda gets about 20/30 on the gas
the Acura gets 18/28 on gas

$45 a month is the purchasing power of 22.5 gallons a gas assuming a gallon of gas costs $2 (nice round number )

Mazda
20 mpg driving and buying 22.5 gallons would drive you = 450 miles
30 mpg driving and buying 22.5 gallons of gas would drive you = 675 miles

Acura
18 mpg driving and buying 22.5 gallons of gas would drive you = 405 miles
20 mpg driving and buying 22.5 gallons would drive you = 450 miles

So this math question comes down to how much driving do you do?

The difference in town driving is 45 miles.
45 miles divided back into 20 mpg, you would need to pay another $2.25 (1.12 gallons at $2 a gallon) to buy more gas to travel that remaining 45 miles.

The next question would be is how many more times in a month would you need to put in that additional $2.25 in gas to drive the remaining 45 miles and what is the grand total in mileage one would need to drive in a month to make that get up to the cost savings $45 a month you are saving in payments and insurance to get equal.

The answer:
So you would save more money a month getting the Acura so long as you drive less than you drive less than 9,000 miles a month.

All of this aside, if it best suits your family, I would go for it, but above is some math you can consider as well.
#7 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

WOW thank you! i dont think its the pros and cons more then i want to MAKE sure i am making the right choice!

: thanks mamas! :

#8 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 07:14 PM

honestly, this sounds like more of a luxury upgrade than functional upgrade. The acuras are definatly nice but, what exactly is the need for upgrade? Both cars are in the same basic class. If you can afford to upgrade out of want then what difference is 2mpg going to make really?? You're probably burried too far in the mazda (unless you put lots down or have been making far over your minimum payments) for this change to make financial sense. Furthermore, since you seem to be concerned with the "features" the acura has over your current, very new, car I'd again venture to say that this is perhaps a bit of an inpulse decision (the decision to trade up). I'd keep the mazda for a good 5 years or until you are paid down to at least a few thou under low trade in value before jumping into another car. Keep in mind that whatever you "roll in" (if in fact they can get the bank to agree to that) will burry you in the acura. That would mean that if you wanted to get rid of the acura before you paid down much of the note you wouldn't be able to sell it or trade it in because the payoff would be so high above the value. When all was said and done in the deal how much over the blue book value of the acura would you actually owe on the note?

if you've got the money and can easily put a large portion down or pay it down quick by making more than your min payments then sure, go for it.... but thats rarely the case.

If you were wanting to jump up to a minivan or SUV for size reasons that would sound fair. Moving from a 6 to an RL isn't a very marginal increase and IMO not worth the hassel of trying to get the mazda note paid and new car financed... and loosing money due to getting rid of the mazda before paying it down or getting some good use out of it.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#9 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 PM

How many months into your current loan are you? I frankly wouldn't trade a car that I was 24 months into a 48 month loan for a car that was 0 months into a 48 month loan even if the payment was lower (i.e. $300 for 24 months is $7200 and $250 for 48 months is $12000 or almost 5 grand).

In two years you'll have a paid for '07 or a third paid for '05. I also thought (maybe completely mistakenly) that Acuras were expensive to fix. I also wouldn't don't think I would buy a car for it suitibility for kid hauling until the birth/adoption of said kid was imminent.
#10 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
honestly, this sounds like more of a luxury upgrade than functional upgrade. The acuras are definitely nice but, what exactly is the need for upgrade?
This, exactly.
If you're buying a car for saving money, why not go all the way and get a 7yo Toyota Corolla that's got to be less expensive than either the Mazda or Acura? Good mileage, reliable as all get out, blah blah blah. Because owning a vehicle like a good, well-treated Corolla would enable you to probably save up a lot more money for the fancy dream vehicle down the road. I mean, sure, my dream is to have 3-5 acres with a good sized orchard and garden and barn/shop with a very efficient/green house designed by hubby and I, but it ain't gonna happen until we have a lot more money on hand to pay cash for it.

Are you pregnant now? Are you planning on waiting a few years? Because sure, having a car that fits kids is great and awesome for planning ahead, but really, you don't truly need it until you have said kiddo and know where you're going from there. All you really need is a reliable car that gets you from A to B. If you're creative and/or persistent, you can squeeze kids in - we got all three of our kids (in a Graco booster, FF Britax Roundabout and RF Graco Snugride) in the back of our '95 Geo Prizm a week or two ago. It was tight and cramped feeling and rather loud because they were inches from me, but it can be done. I just wouldn't want to travel cross-country that way though. Besides, there's no guarantees what'll happen in the next few years - someone may rear end your parked (dream) car and total it or something and you're back at square one.

I know why we went from our Subaru Impreza to a new Honda CRV (wanted 4WD, decent ground clearance, better cargo area, oh, and to legally fit 3 kids and their carseats in the car with decent mileage) because we couldn't find a used one and just can't mentally handle a minivan (yes, we have issues, but we deal with it), but hubby still has a '95 Prizm as his commuter car and our wood-hauler is an '84 Dodge pickup that he can both tinker on.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#11 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

I don’t just need the car for kiddos. I am in real estate so I also need it to haul clients when the time comes up. I need a lot of the features because of what I do. It is hard to drive and look at a map, the Bluetooth is nice for when I need to be on the phone and for what I do some of the features are just plan nice and I like them. I owe LESS on the mazda then what I can trade it in for so WE WOULD ROLL NOTHING. I don’t like SUVs or mini vans so for me and kiddos, right now that wont be a choice.

As far as I can see, the acura has a lot more back seat leg room!

But this is all GREAT info. This is just want I wanted all kinds of input.

When I get off from work I am going to re read some post. All of them have some great food for thought.

and its not all about 'saving' money i am looking to see what one would be the best fit for the long run. its not the money per mth more the long hall i will have with it and what i need right now. and i also want to add this is our only 'nice' car. DH drives a 1980 picku-up. not great on gas but we got it for 500 and it runs great!

as for the when are you having kiddos... we have been trying for over 2 1/2 years. DH has been in Iraq for the last year and we are doing IVF at the end of this mth. so god will we will have a crew soon!

#12 of 20 Old 02-07-2009, 10:16 PM

In this real estate market, and well, this economy, I wouldn't. But thats me. I'm about to let my DH take our only source of transport OOT for weeks and maybe months at a time with 3 small kids, 2 of whom are medically complex and 1 of whom is nuerodivergent. We'll have $$ to get a decent used car, but in this economy, I wanted some more liquid assets for a while IYKWIM
#13 of 20 Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 PM

How many months do you have left on your current loan, and how many months for the new loan?

Personally, if you would be paying longer on the new loan than on the old, I would not do it, not in this uncertain economy. Getting out of debt and freeing up the $$ you are paying towards the loan will be extremely helpful if, say, your job is affected by the economy, or you decide you want to stay home with you little one once he or she arrives, or any unexpected expenses come up.

If the length of the loans are the same and you can put the difference towards the principle each month and pay the loan off earlier than you would if you kept your current vehicle, that's another story altogether, and I don't see any reason not to go for it.
#14 of 20 Old 02-08-2009, 12:50 PM

I'd keep the current car and pay it down aggressively while saving up for the next one. When you actually get to the point of needing a different car, you'll be in an even better position to buy it. Buying a vehicle to accommodate kids you haven't even conceived yet seems like counting your chickens before they hatch to me -- especially if you've had trouble getting pregnant so far. I dunno, that's just the superstitious part of me. And I say this as someone who also really likes to plan things.
#15 of 20 Old 02-08-2009, 12:58 PM

Wouldn't the insurance be more on the Acura? It may not save you money because it is in fact a "luxury car" and so it would have higher insurance.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#16 of 20 Old 02-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
I don’t just need the car for kiddos. I am in real estate so I also need it to haul clients when the time comes up. I need a lot of the features because of what I do. It is hard to drive and look at a map, the Bluetooth is nice for when I need to be on the phone and for what I do some of the features are just plan nice and I like them. I owe LESS on the mazda then what I can trade it in for so WE WOULD ROLL NOTHING. I don’t like SUVs or mini vans so for me and kiddos, right now that wont be a choice.

As far as I can see, the acura has a lot more back seat leg room!

But this is all GREAT info. This is just want I wanted all kinds of input.

When I get off from work I am going to re read some post. All of them have some great food for thought.

and its not all about 'saving' money i am looking to see what one would be the best fit for the long run. its not the money per mth more the long hall i will have with it and what i need right now. and i also want to add this is our only 'nice' car. DH drives a 1980 picku-up. not great on gas but we got it for 500 and it runs great!

as for the when are you having kiddos... we have been trying for over 2 1/2 years. DH has been in Iraq for the last year and we are doing IVF at the end of this mth. so god will we will have a crew soon!
I can understand wanting a car you concider an upgrade (upgrade for any reason). Most of us tend to look upwards in reguards to things like this. I currently want an upgrade even thought I don't NEED one. I currently don't have payment on my car and couldn't really comfortably afford any so I cannot get the upgrade I covet.... so I wait.... and I do my best to remind myself to appreciate the reliable, comfortable, fuel efficient, cute, car that I have now.

I can also very much understand your view about future children. Dh and I tried for dd for 2 years straight. It was frustrating, heartbreaking at times, tense, but of course hopeful as well. Those physical things that remind us we will one day be blessed with babies can help fill a bit of the void. I imagine a car may partially seem to fit the bill for that for you right now. I definatly understand. I bought my current car 8 months before I concieved dd. Although I could easily say I bought it because my previous car (though reliable mechanically and a wonderful car I still own) did not have working AC, broken doorhandles that prevented opening the back doors, power windows that did not work in the front, and no air bags, and a back differencial that was about to go out... I really bought it as both a distraction from my difficulty concieving and a treat to cheer myself up (an expensive treat!). In hindsight those aren't very good reasons to buy a newer car (it was 2 years old at the time) but, what IS a good reasons to buy a newer car? I don't think there is one, yet theres nothing wrong with doing so if it does not stretch you financially or put you in a bad position financially (or not make good money sense because you loose so much money in a car when you don't keep it long and don't pay down much before getting rid of it).

It doesn't come down to a few miles per gallon difference or a few dollars per month difference... it comes down to what your rational, logical, and emotional self can agree on being best for you and the other people directly involved. I don't think your particular situation comes down to money... or features. It comes down to that internal agreement and only you can make that decision.

On another note. My current car, that I have had for almost five years now without a single mechanical problem or non routine repair needed happens to be a Mazda Protege5. It's the sport wagon version of the regular protege. It's concidered a compact but, in all honesty it hasn't felt 'small' until these last couple months since my second child was born. I think it all depends on what you're used to. I think we can always live below our means when it comes to car size and comfort. When we choose to live above our means we should take note of that and view it as a privlage. I've tried my best to view my compact as a privlage because I could have much smaller and tons less relaible and comfortable!

and lastly on an unrelated note. dh and I tried consistantly for 2 long years to concieve dd. I thought concieving would be difficult the second time around as well. happy to say ds was concieved after only about 2 months of trying (without timing it or taking temps). Just wanted to share some hope with you!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#17 of 20 Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
Wouldn't the insurance be more on the Acura? It may not save you money because it is in fact a "luxury car" and so it would have higher insurance.
She already stated that car insurance would go down $5 a month over the Mazda.
#18 of 20 Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 PM

I own a mazda 5, and my FIL owns an allstate agency,and you are right it is not my dream car. BUT you are not giving real numbers here

First off the 5 seats 6, there is more room in the back than you know...just start moving the seats around a bit.

The gas numbers are pretty good..

BUT your insurance numbers are way off for a basic good driver policy.

The mazda will run you 68 a month with a 100K liability, rental 40 bucks a day and a 250 deduct.

The Acura will run 70-89 a month depending on your deductable, liablity.

Gas is not going to stay at 2 a gallon.

You have already made up your mind, and are just looking for a way to justify it.
#19 of 20 Old 02-08-2009, 06:53 PM

I guess it's different since you're only talking 1 baby right now but my husband has a 2006 Acura RL and that is the most uncomfortable UNkid friendly car we have ever owned. The middle of the back seat has a big hump in it which makes it impossible to install a car seat there, plus the back seat is so narrow we couldn't fit 3 seats anyway. We do have 3 kids so on the rare occassion we're all forced to pile into his car I have to sit with my knees in the dash so I can have a rear facing seat behind me and my 6 year old has to ride on the hump in the back seat with no car seat (I really hate that!).

The ceiling of the car is very low so I'm constantly bumping my head when I'm loading and unloading kids.

Anyway, that wasn't really what you were asking but I just thought I'd share. You may love it, my husband does. But he doesn't have to haul around 3 kids. I've been trying to convince him to sell it.
#20 of 20 Old 02-08-2009, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
I own a mazda 5, and my FIL owns an allstate agency,and you are right it is not my dream car. BUT you are not giving real numbers here

First off the 5 seats 6, there is more room in the back than you know...just start moving the seats around a bit.

The gas numbers are pretty good..

BUT your insurance numbers are way off for a basic good driver policy.

The mazda will run you 68 a month with a 100K liability, rental 40 bucks a day and a 250 deduct.

The Acura will run 70-89 a month depending on your deductable, liablity.

Gas is not going to stay at 2 a gallon.

You have already made up your mind, and are just looking for a way to justify it.
i own a Mazda 6 not a mazda 5 so my car seat 5 people. and with USAA i called and already have a est for 5 less then my mazda. so my nubers ARE right. going to a 2005 from a 2007 is the big reason and the Acura has far more safety things.

am i am looking fo a way to justify it? maybe, but i dont think so. i think i am more looking for other view points on the situation. i knew i could come here and have a lot of diff view points so that i dont just 'buy' the car.

and THANK YOU FondestBianca i think you hit home on a lot of points. ::

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page