I know I shouldn't be complaining, but.. UPDATE POST 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I received an Email today, er yesterday actually but I got it today since I didn't work Friday, saying that I need to go down to HR to get a manual check.
I have my paychecks direct deposited and even those who don't get direct deposit have their checks mailed to them, so this is truly unusual and means they made a mistake somewhere. Unfortunately I can't pull up my timekeeping/payroll history to see what it is, so I'm just racking my brain trying to figure out why on earth they're giving me an additional paycheck.

I'm fairly certain that they didn't underpay me in the recent past, if anything I was overpaid ( boss gave me holiday pay when I didn't qualify instead of using my PTO.)

I realize it's silly to be complaining about an extra paycheck but I worry about them coming back to me 3-4 months from now saying "Oops we overpaid you and we'll be taking it out of your next paycheck." Irrational? maybe, but thats just me.

Thanks I just needed to get that off my chest, it's been bugging me all day.

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
#2 of 18 Old 02-07-2009, 05:24 PM

any chance it could be your last paycheck?? As in they are laying you off and need you to come pick up the check so they can tell you about the layoff??
#3 of 18 Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 PM

So did you find out what happened yet? Now I'm curious too.

Hope it's not really a layoff like the OP said.
#4 of 18 Old 02-07-2009, 06:00 PM

I'd put it in savings and not touch it until you're 100% positive it's not a mistake. That way, if they do come up to you a few months from now and say they over paid you so you're not getting a paycheck that pay period you'll have the cash to hold you over.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#5 of 18 Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 PM

eventually they will notice if they made a mistake, so I would definitely make sure it's not before you take it.

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#6 of 18 Old 02-07-2009, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post
I'd put it in savings and not touch it until you're 100% positive it's not a mistake. That way, if they do come up to you a few months from now and say they over paid you so you're not getting a paycheck that pay period you'll have the cash to hold you over.
: Enjoy the security of having a padded bank account while it lasts, though...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#7 of 18 Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 PM

Did you recently change your direct deposit account? I can't think of anything else but you said that manual checks are mailed and not handed out. The paranoid part of me hopes that 4kidlets4me isn't right that it may be a last paycheck. However, that's the first thing that came to my mind.

I used to work in payroll and there are usually processes that are done prior to processing the payroll (and after checks are printed) so mistakes are caught. Of course, things do happen, but hopefully not very often. At the company I worked for, any adjustments are done through the next check and not a seperate check, but your company could be different. Hopefully, you are getting a big bonus and that's why you have to pick it up yourself!

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#8 of 18 Old 02-08-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I still haven't found out what is going on with this manual check, HR is closed weekends and won't open again until 8am monday, so lucky me I get to stress about this all weekend long.

I'm fairly certain I'm not being laid-off as I work as a Collections agent for a major credit card and we're still hiring even as Customer Service and Marketing have been put on a "hiring freeze". However, I suppose it is always a possibility I have made some changes to direct deposit, I changed it to deposit a small amount into savings each month instead of all into checking.

I'm really getting anxious about this the more I think about it, I am definitely just going to hang on to the $ until I'm certain that it's not an error.

ETA: I did earn incentive last month, but typically thats added to the next month's paycheck to give HR time to ensure that I actually earned it, ya know? Also, I won a credit for my health insurance premiums this year at the Holiday party last year but they are deducting the same amount from my checks each pay period.... Maybe it's that?

#9 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 AM

It's coming up on 8am Monday, I hope you're not going to leave us hanging!
#10 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

No one knows. I went down to HR at 8:30 am promptly, the earliest we can take a break, and was expecting a little check of I dunno maybe $10 you know a check that isn't even worth the paper it's written on. The HR rep asks to see my badge and then hustles off to get my check, she hands me two copies one the actual check and the other a photocopy that I need to sign and date. While I'm signing my co-worker looks at the check and says, "This is way more than $10, Laura!" So I look at the check and it's made out for $824.50, that is more than I make in a single pay period!

I immediately ask the rep what it's for because the check stub attached only says, "Stale dated cash/rep fixes." She has no idea so she gives me the number to corporate HR and tells me to call them and have them research it by check #. So I skip my breakfast break and go up stairs to check with the Department Manager, Nathan (my boss's boss) , to make sure I'm still employed and all. Nathan assured me that I am still employed and he has no idea what the check is for because if it were a payroll adjustment or backdated raise it would have been taxed, this wasn't. Nathan tries calling HR central (corporate HR) but can't get through, so he tells me to just call from my desk, a big no-no making personal calls from the company phone, and let him know what it is because now he's really curious.

I go and make the call, give the HR rep all the check info and get put on hold for eternity! When he comes back he tells me it was "an ACH return." For what? "We think it was a refund because we over-deducted for your benefits last year." You think?

So I got the Rep's name and made a note of when I called and what was said and asked him to note the same so that I have record that I made a good faith effort to make sure it wasn't an error.

I told Nathan and he too was skeptical (sp?) because that is more than I make each pay-period and he too advised me to hang on to the check for a while so I don't have to pay it back later if it was an error. So I'm sitting here staring at this HUGE check that I could really use but knowing I shouldn't because with my luck it WILL be an error and I'll have to return it.

I think I'll call HR central again, hopefully get a different rep, and see what they say this time.

#11 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Crunch View Post
So I'm sitting here staring at this HUGE check that I could really use but knowing I shouldn't because with my luck it WILL be an error and I'll have to return it.
I've been over-paid by my job before, and what they did is ask for it back in installments-- $20 or so from each paycheck until we were even again (I get paid weekly). So you could view it as an interest-free loan: you get this lump sum up front, and-- should it be necessary-- pay it back bit by bit...

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#12 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM

I agree with the PP. Deposit now, but keep in a savings account. For how long, I don't really know - maybe 6 months? I hear ya on needing the check now, but of course this DID just drop out of the sky so it's not like you were counting on it! Good luck with that.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#13 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 05:30 PM

well I'm glad to hear it wasn't a lay off. I would hold on to it for a month if they don't come looking I would think your okay.
#14 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM

I'd put it into a savings account (ING?) and at least earn interest on it for the next 6 months in case it turns out to be a mistake after all.
#15 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
I'd put it into a savings account (ING?) and at least earn interest on it for the next 6 months in case it turns out to be a mistake after all.
I agree with this one.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#16 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
I hear ya on needing the check now, but of course this DID just drop out of the sky so it's not like you were counting on it! Good luck with that.
Too true, too true. I'm going to put it in my savings for a while, a month or so maybe? I figure that I have made 2 good-faith efforts now to ensure this was not an error (and documented it!) so if I don't hear anything within that time frame, I'll use it if needed. If they do request it back I'm sure the company will request it in installments like they did last year when Utah changed tax laws causing them to under deduct our state taxes.(Apparently the company is responsible for ensuring proper tax deductions, so they had to get it corrected as opposed to letting us just settle up with the state during tax season?)

Anywho.. We'll see what happens. In the mean time though it will be nice to see my savings account in the quadruple digits, yay!

#17 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 PM

How exciting! Hope it's for real.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#18 of 18 Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 PM

I believe in 'pennies from heaven'.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page