Depression Cooking w/Clara - 93 yo great-grandma - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking

These videos are GREAT! Clara, 93 year old Sicilian great-grandma (1st generation American) was in high school during the Depression, but had to quit partway through because her family couldn't afford socks. Each video is about 6 minutes long. Watch with pen and paper in hand to write down the recipes. Her great-grandson filmed her - she's a lovely woman, with skills we certainly need to remember.

Watch the videos in order. This is simple cooking served up with stories of Clara's childhood. Go, grandma!

lady.gif
#2 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 AM

Thanks! :

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#3 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 AM

OMG, she is AWESOME!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#4 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 AM

She is so cool!! I want to be like her when I grow up!!
#5 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 08:37 AM

Yeah, I saw that link over on homesteadingtoday a few days ago, but never got around to looking at her videos. I love her little stories of the depression she dots her instruction with.

Thanks for the reminder!
#6 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 PM

She is adorable! Loved it!
#7 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love her videos!

One thing I've started doing (because of her) is using a base of fried onions & potatoes for a lot of things. All of her recipes sound good except for her egg drop soup, lol.
#8 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Ooh, I love egg drop soup in any form. That one was my favorite. Mmm.

I saw these about a year ago... there were three at the time. Are there any more?

I remember just being fascinated at how she hoarded (can't think of a better word) red sauce and olive oil- she used them like they were condiments instead of the base of recipes, which is the opposite of a lot of modern Italian American cookbooks.

I also remember laughing aloud at the shot of the camera guys just getting down on her Poor Man's Meal.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#9 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 01:41 PM

So great! Thanks for the link!

:
#10 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Wow! What a treasure and a blessing that Lady is!: I can't wait to sit and relax and watch every one of her videos.

May I recommend some books on the depression that may be helpful?
"Recipes and Stories from the Great Depression" by Rita van Amber. There are 5 volumes and they are wonderful! Too bad there aren't very many Depression era people left! We can certainly learn so much from those that have been there.
#11 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM

I watched the first one. Can I adopt her?

Will watch more later on in the day.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#12 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 03:10 PM

This is great. I need to do something like this with my grandfather's writings-- he didn't cook, as a young boy, but he writes down all kinds of memories of what his mother and sisters cooked.
#13 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM

Wonderful! I watched the first one (pasta w/potatoes and peas), and look forward to the rest. Love her stories.
#14 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 03:42 PM

subbing
#15 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 06:38 PM

How precious! (And useful). I really, really wish someone had thought to do something like this with my great-grandmother before she passed on.
#16 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 08:25 PM

I watched a few and thought it was interesting she only puts a few Tbs of sauce in the stuff. Most people today would have added the whole jar! Makes me think what I could use less of in recipes to make it stretch further.
#17 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Very cool! Gotta love how she dices the potatoes, strip by strip. It must take forever!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#18 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 PM

I watched these videos with my oldest dd today. We both enjoyed them so much we decided that we need a great grandma like that! :

I'm already anxious for more videos.

banana.gif

#19 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 PM

She is sooooo my 80 year old mother who lived through hard war times in Malta and still uses her percolator and talks of the time that tomato sauce on bread was dinner! Thanks for the great link and memories! :
#20 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 PM

Thanks for posting this - I'm already on the sixth one.

~ Kim

mama to E (01-2007) and wife to C

#21 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 12:43 AM

Thanks for sharing the link. As a previous poster mentioned using less sauce and other things could stretch things or use up quantities for things that might have otherwise been discarded. I'm enjoying watching these and getting ideas.
#22 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

What really struck me was adding the pasta, bringing the water to a boil, and then turning off the burner to save energy, and covering the pot for it to finish cooking with its own heat. I did that yesterday. Worked quite well.

lady.gif
#23 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
What really struck me was adding the pasta, bringing the water to a boil, and then turning off the burner to save energy, and covering the pot for it to finish cooking with its own heat. I did that yesterday. Worked quite well.
That struck me as a great idea as well!

Watching these videos, I started to feel really proud of my survival skills. Usually I feel like I have no skills, especially when I am on the internet and reading about folks going off the grid or doing homesteading and stuff. That is so not me.

But these videos made me feel like I have more skills than I thought. Money is tight in our home, and I see a lot of familiar methods of economical decision making about food, food storage and handling, and food preparation. Anything on her videos that I don't do are things I've considered-- like growing our own produce which I don't do because we don't have a yard-- and have some idea how to do (in the case of growing our produce, we've found a friend with a yard ).

In fact, in her sixth video, when she talks about making coffee, we've done well making coffee with even less. We've ground coffee in a bag with a hammer and rolling pin, and when our coffee maker broke a year or two ago, dw started making coffee using the coffee maker's filter simply stratled over a jar. She further refined the process when she found she could make a stronger coffee by letting the coffee grounds steep directly in hot water in a pot for a bit and then transfer the coffee into the jar through the filter.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#24 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
I noticed this as well! It's ingenius, really. I also noticed that all her cooking materials were sturdy, all metal items that would last. All her bread pans looked like a heavy weight metal, maybe Stainless Steel? (please tell me I'm not the only one drooling over her bread pans. Oh, and that beautiful huge mixing bowl!!!)

Also the manual, all metal cookie press was awesome. It makes me sad thinking about how disposable a lot of our everyday items have become. Especially now with teflon, there's no way a baking pan I buy today will be usable in 40 yrs, kwim? It's irritating that these things need to be searched out whereas not too long ago they were plentiful and everyone used them.

I also found it interesting when she was talking about having chickens & the city no longer allowing it. The eggs must have been the best 'free' source of protein for the majority of people. It's sad to think how many people have been cut off from this way to be self-sufficient. Even line drying is forbidden in many areas.:

The other interesting tidbit was when she mentioned how one of her neighbors walked into her yard with her shopping bag to get her fill of produce. I knew there was a problem with theft (I transcribed some letters from that era) but the audacity! Especially for back then when everyone knew one another, for a neighbor to just walk over to get some produce without asking is mind boggling, ya know? I like how Clara handled it though--"you should ask me first, not just help yourself." lol

Those were a few items that really stood out to me. OT, but I soooo want to make those fig cookies! That mix of nuts & dried fruits....:

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#25 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
I noticed this as well! It's ingenius, really. I also noticed that all her cooking materials were sturdy, all metal items that would last. All her bread pans looked like a heavy weight metal, maybe Stainless Steel? (please tell me I'm not the only one drooling over her bread pans. Oh, and that beautiful huge mixing bowl!!!)
I know! That giant white enamel pan that she uses as a bread pan? So pretty.

DH and I are actually watching The 1900 House right now, and their dishpan looks just like Clara's bread pan, so I wonder how old it actually is.

OTOH, our dishpan is plastic and would have to have to be sanitized with bleach water before you could mix up bread in it. Bummer. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for an enameled metal dishpan at the antique store...

And Clara has the prettiest measuring cup I've ever seen. I love that she uses all that pretty glassware, too. The bowls that they use for her mise en place aren't just boring clear glass like on every food network show, they're all individual things of beauty.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#26 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 03:50 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#27 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 04:04 PM

watching Clara just made me get up and call my own Nana - She emigrated from Sicily when she was 4 and lived in Brooklyn during the Depression. So much of those videos reminded me of her!! When I was a girl, she used to make me pasta with peas every time I went to her house for lunch.
#28 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 06:53 PM

She is so cute!! I really like her stories too, what an awesome lady.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#29 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
I watched the first one. Can I adopt her?

Will watch more later on in the day.
I guess I will have to get in line. I even have an extra room, big kitchen for her, her own private bath....and I am 1/2 Italian.....

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#30 of 30 Old 02-14-2009, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

This looks like it would be a good match for Clara's dishpan:

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...iProductID=111

Probably the hand basin is more like her bowl.

Coffee percolator, although not the one Clara has:

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...iProductID=130

lady.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page