The Great Depression Part 2? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 124 Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KW- I am a vegetarian, so I'm not sure how DH cures bacon- I know it involves raw pork bellies, a smoker he built, apple wood chips, and lots of salt. And a cool place- we have a chest fridge, but a cooler in the basement worked before we got the chest fridge.

DH worked as a meat cutter for 5+ years before we met (I know, I know ), so he's good at this stuff. I have heard him say, though, that the average person with the right equipment can learn to cure bacon in as much time as it takes to get microwave popcorn to actually pop correctly, so it can't be too hard.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#122 of 124 Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
But the upside is that there will no longer be 1st world and 3rd world nations...we'll all have be on the same page. The problem is this means a reduction in the standard of living for the former 1st world nations. This is what scares people. We are standing at the threshold of history. We, all humanity, just have to make the leap towards greener, more sustainable, and less wasteful society.
Bolding mine.

Dear God, slsurface, I hope you're right.

My DH and BIL think the American standard of living is changing forever, and I am slowly coming around to that conclusion.

But if you're right about the bolded part, that gives me immeasurable comfort. It may not be utopia (where we'd all drive zero emissions SUV? ), but it sounds a lot more just. And I can get down with that, even if it means sacrifice on my part.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#123 of 124 Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
organicmommy, my father died in 2007 at the age of 57. Two years before he died, he predicted that we were going to see a period of marked DEflation in the next 20 years. I agree with your assessment and my late-father's. We cannot sustain the sort of growth that was seen in the last 30 years. Everything will have to be re-set to lower wages and lower costs. But it's going to be a painful transition. Those of us with homes and investments stand to loose a lot in the process. But the upside is that there will no longer be 1st world and 3rd world nations...we'll all have be on the same page. The problem is this means a reduction in the standard of living for the former 1st world nations. This is what scares people. We are standing at the threshold of history. We, all humanity, just have to make the leap towards greener, more sustainable, and less wasteful society.

I agree it is going to painful for most if not all of us. Even those that don't have a lot in stocks and the market or other investments are going to feel the pain. The economy scares me every time I watch the news, read the internet, it doesn't matter. It has hit us at home lately, the factory dh works at recently went to 4 8 hour shifts for most of the plant. We have been able to hold our 5 days but who knows how long that will last. Our tax refund has gone to savings and to purchasing things that we were needing for our garden this year. We will also be getting 2 beef cows to add to the farm, we normally let my parents raise them up, but this year we will be adding 2 more so that we are all sure to have enough beef. We will be getting more broiler chickens in the spring and will be getting our layers as well. We don't own our home, we rent an awesome farm with an awesome landlord that lets us use the land to live off of as well. As long as we can pay our rent I know that our home will be safe as we pay the mortgage on here with our rent and about 50.00 more on top of it. So if he was going to not be able to keep it due to other things we could take over on that.
We are very fortunate in some areas and very scared in others. I can do a lot canning and preserving of our food. I can and do sew a lot of things as well. So as long as I can get supplies we will be ok. If that becomes a problem then all bets are off.

I hope that everyone is able to weather the storm, but it will be a strong one.
Another thing I really wish would happen is that the media would stop feeding it. Its like a big green monster, its eating up all the negativity and then burping out the worst of the worst. I want to see things turn around tho I don't think things will ever be the same as they were in my life time.
#124 of 124 Old 02-20-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmommy View Post
Another thing I really wish would happen is that the media would stop feeding it. Its like a big green monster, its eating up all the negativity and then burping out the worst of the worst.
: I know. I haven't watched the news for over 5 years to save my sanity! I couldn't watch the news anymore after I watched the media get everyone into a frenzy over Iraq...it was like watching collective insanity! Now I only listen to NPR or watch BBC news on occasion. I cannot stand American TV networks and news programs...their wolves in sheep's clothing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page