Am I out of luck? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2009, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My university is refusing to refund a $600 housing deposit. The reason given is that I did not give advance notice. Appeals are not allowed. (I definitely have a lot to appeal lol but that would take a book).

Anyways, I paid with a Discover credit card. This payment was over a year ago. Is there any process through discover on getting the charge back? I read the general tips for disputing a billing error and they don't really apply.

I've talked with a few lawyers who were at least nice enough to point out that the cost of hiring them would be more than the $600. They just tell me I need to do a class action lawsuit.

Well, I want my $600 back! They know the reason they gave me is completely untrue. How can someone just keep $600 buckaroos?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 AM

Call Discover and talk to the customer service people there, ask them what they think. You could also try a small claims court.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 AM

Does the contract say that failure to give advance notice will result in a withholding of your deposit? If so, I don't really see that there is anything you can do except take it as a lesson in life.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbane View Post
Does the contract say that failure to give advance notice will result in a withholding of your deposit? If so, I don't really see that there is anything you can do except take it as a lesson in life.
No it doesn't

And anyways I did give advance notice.

lol It's a very long story. Suffice to say every lawyer I've talked to goes "Ohhhhh X university, why not join the class action lawsuit"

Because I want at least a little of the money they took back!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 02-19-2009, 03:27 PM
mtm

Is there a university ombudsman you can talk to? The university president's office maybe? How much notice did they require vs what you gave?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:33 PM

Sometimes a well written letter, perhaps sent by registered mail, detailing the steps you are going to take to reclaim your money - filing a dispute with the credit card company, filing a claim in small claims court, etc... is enough to get someone moving on your refund.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
Is there a university ombudsman you can talk to? The university president's office maybe? How much notice did they require vs what you gave?
No requirement is stated on any of my documents, nor the website, nor the handbook.

I gave them notice within the 1st week on campus. They told me I only get a 10% discount after the 1st week, so I stayed for that semester. Every teacher, faculty, dean and the president knew I was leaving as I had to talk to them repeatedly about a bajillion issues. Every single thing was pulling teeth at that school. I talk about what happened to people IRL and they can't even believe it. I'm glad I have some photographic evidence on at least a couple issues.

So, anyways, call me paranoid but I can't help but think I am being punished here. I really would have thought they'd just give me the refund and be happy I never did things such as charge for harassment, call the media, personally sue them, etc. But no. They keep spitting in my face and it's getting really annoying and beyond twisted.

Argh. : Sorry. I'm not kidding guys I'm still dealing with PTSD over some of the things that happened. It feels like being raped and having to pay for it too.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 02-22-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Updating to ask: should I write a demand letter? IRL someone recommended going to the university, showing them the photos of the housing and threatening to send the photos to the media if they don't give me the $$ back. Another person told me I should just mail the photos to the media and not even contact the university. I don't know if either of these is a good idea... but I don't know what else to do. The class action lawsuit is completely separate from this.

Mama to expecting Babe 2

User Tag List