Mothering Forum banner

Why cant they bring back the days ...

4K views 107 replies 67 participants last post by  lmonter 
#1 ·
of when everything was closed on Sundays? Remember those days? And everything closed early on Saterdays..
probably wouldnt help retail much

See less See more
#3 ·
Go to Millersburg Ohio, it's the largest Amish settlement in the world. If you haven't done your shopping by about 2pm on Saturday, you're screwed.

OK, there is a Walmart and a TSC open on Sunday but that's it. Most of the restaurants are even closed up on Sunday. Most of the time it's nice, but when you're working on a home improvement project it's awful. Honestly, if you need one more 2"x4" you will have to drive about 30 miles to get to a store that is open.

#4 ·
Nope. No nostalgia for those days. Too many ER visits with RX that needed to be filled and no open pharmacies.

Nope. No nostalgia.

And with kids now, I can't imagine not being able to do all my shopping and errands on the weekends given that I have DD during the day and work evenings.

V

#5 ·
It certainly wouldn't help the economy. In France, there are still laws against retails shops being open on Sunday. Many retailers are working hard to get these laws repealed...

Personally, when I moved from a large city to a medium sized city, I was shocked to find that many places here don't open till 9am or even 10am
: and close early (by 7pm). When you work all day, it's impossible to get to the store during those hours.
:

#8 ·
When I lived in the Caribbean for a while, on a formerly British island, they had all sorts of crazy rules about when banks and stores could be open. It was so annoying, because the only time the banks were open, I was working. Every other day was some sort of holiday and everything would be closed, including government offices, libraries, and public transportation (and let me tell you, there is no way to get anywhere without a minibus unless you want to hike 5 miles up a mountain)! Ack!

#11 ·
If everything was closed on Sundays, it would be horrible for Orthodox Jews. We don't go anywhere Friday afternoons and evenings and all day Saturdays, except maybe Saturday nights in the winters, when Shabbos ends earlier.

So what do you do if you work 5 days a week, have your Sabbath on a 6th day, and then the 7th day, the only day you're truly available for big shopping projects, the stores are all closed?

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
It's hard to see any positives to bringing back Sunday blue laws! I like being able to shop at my convenience, not finding doors shut because the government believes I should be in church at a particular time.
:

I find the mere idea abhorrent.

-Angela

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
It's hard to see any positives to bringing back Sunday blue laws! I like being able to shop at my convenience, not finding doors shut because the government believes I should be in church at a particular time.
ITA! Down here we have an advertisement that says "close on sunday, for a very special reason".

It always makes me want to jump out of my own skin!

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
If a store needs to close one day a week, it would make more sense to close on a Monday or another slow retail day.
That's true! Indian shops around here always close on tuesday or wenesday to restock, ect. No religious reason for the day-- just a slow retail day.

#19 ·
One of our provinces, Nova Scotia, used to have everything closed on Sundays by law. We were quite surprised on our trip a couple of years ago to find that - it was our last day there and we hoped to do a little shopping and get souvenirs. Doh!

I hear that they changed this since then though - not sure if all the retailers are open now that they're allowed to be?

#20 ·
Most of our stores here are closed on Sundays, and one recently changed their hours to stay open one hour later each day but close two days a week. They say it saves money, I don't know. It makes sense. It was a bit inconvenient, getting used to making sure we had enough milk and other little things by Saturday afternoon, but it seems normal now.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by I~love~pie View Post
of when everything was closed on Sundays? Remember those days? And everything closed early on Saterdays..
probably wouldnt help retail much

I lived in London for 2 years, and shops have specific laws they have to follow regarding open hours especially sundays. It's really freaking annoying and I am very grateful I now live in an area where I can actually pop out for a gallon of milk on a sunday afternoon!

#23 ·
One of my greatest pleasures in life is my trip to the library on Sunday afternoons and then stopping at the store to decide what to fix for our special dinner. I would really hate not to be able to do that. I am not joking when I say it would be changing the quality of my life - I look forward to that afternoon all week.

#24 ·
We often do home repair/gardening on Sundays and it would drive me crazy if we needed some tool and couldn't finish the job because the hardware store was closed!

#26 ·
Depends. How I hated those long wet cold miserable rural Irish Sundays when everything was closed and there was nothing to do but fight with your siblings about which of the two television stations to watch.

On the other hand, Shabbat in Tel Aviv is awesome. Most things are closed, but there is the beach to hang out on and lovely weather. I can deal with that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.