Why cant they bring back the days ... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
of when everything was closed on Sundays? Remember those days? And everything closed early on Saterdays.. probably wouldnt help retail much
#2 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
They do that around here mostly. Except the grocery thank goodness, otherwise we couldn't eat since that's the only day we have the car.
#3 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Go to Millersburg Ohio, it's the largest Amish settlement in the world. If you haven't done your shopping by about 2pm on Saturday, you're screwed.

OK, there is a Walmart and a TSC open on Sunday but that's it. Most of the restaurants are even closed up on Sunday. Most of the time it's nice, but when you're working on a home improvement project it's awful. Honestly, if you need one more 2"x4" you will have to drive about 30 miles to get to a store that is open.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#4 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Nope. No nostalgia for those days. Too many ER visits with RX that needed to be filled and no open pharmacies.

Nope. No nostalgia.

And with kids now, I can't imagine not being able to do all my shopping and errands on the weekends given that I have DD during the day and work evenings.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#5 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM

It certainly wouldn't help the economy. In France, there are still laws against retails shops being open on Sunday. Many retailers are working hard to get these laws repealed...

Personally, when I moved from a large city to a medium sized city, I was shocked to find that many places here don't open till 9am or even 10am : and close early (by 7pm). When you work all day, it's impossible to get to the store during those hours. :
#6 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
It certainly wouldn't help the economy. In France, there are still laws against retails shops being open on Sunday. Many retailers are working hard to get these laws repealed...
Germany, too.
#7 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Germany, too.
Yup, I loved the two weekends a year where our town was allowed to be open on Sunday. It was such a special treat to be able to go out shopping on a Sunday

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#8 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 PM

When I lived in the Caribbean for a while, on a formerly British island, they had all sorts of crazy rules about when banks and stores could be open. It was so annoying, because the only time the banks were open, I was working. Every other day was some sort of holiday and everything would be closed, including government offices, libraries, and public transportation (and let me tell you, there is no way to get anywhere without a minibus unless you want to hike 5 miles up a mountain)! Ack!
#9 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:34 PM

It's hard to see any positives to bringing back Sunday blue laws! I like being able to shop at my convenience, not finding doors shut because the government believes I should be in church at a particular time.
#10 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

LOL. I can see your point. I just miss the "family" day when no did anything, just hung out, I remember going to see my grandparents on Sunday.
hey I understand the retail aspect, I work retail maybe I just dont want to work Sundays anymore.
#11 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If everything was closed on Sundays, it would be horrible for Orthodox Jews. We don't go anywhere Friday afternoons and evenings and all day Saturdays, except maybe Saturday nights in the winters, when Shabbos ends earlier.

So what do you do if you work 5 days a week, have your Sabbath on a 6th day, and then the 7th day, the only day you're truly available for big shopping projects, the stores are all closed?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#12 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Main street in my town is closed on Sundays. Target and whatnot in the rest of town is still open.
#13 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM

If a store needs to close one day a week, it would make more sense to close on a Monday or another slow retail day.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#14 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM

No one is forced to shop on Sunday if their personal beliefs or lifestyle choices make them prefer not to. They are still totally free to make that a family hang-out day.

But yeah, working weekends must be a drag, especially if the rest of your famy is only free then.
#15 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
It's hard to see any positives to bringing back Sunday blue laws! I like being able to shop at my convenience, not finding doors shut because the government believes I should be in church at a particular time.
:

I find the mere idea abhorrent.

-Angela
#16 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 PM

You can still have that family day even if the stores are open. No law that says you have to shop.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#17 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
ITA! Down here we have an advertisement that says "close on sunday, for a very special reason".

It always makes me want to jump out of my own skin!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#18 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
If a store needs to close one day a week, it would make more sense to close on a Monday or another slow retail day.
That's true! Indian shops around here always close on tuesday or wenesday to restock, ect. No religious reason for the day-- just a slow retail day.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#19 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:46 PM

One of our provinces, Nova Scotia, used to have everything closed on Sundays by law. We were quite surprised on our trip a couple of years ago to find that - it was our last day there and we hoped to do a little shopping and get souvenirs. Doh!

I hear that they changed this since then though - not sure if all the retailers are open now that they're allowed to be?
#20 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Most of our stores here are closed on Sundays, and one recently changed their hours to stay open one hour later each day but close two days a week. They say it saves money, I don't know. It makes sense. It was a bit inconvenient, getting used to making sure we had enough milk and other little things by Saturday afternoon, but it seems normal now.
#21 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 PM

It would be awesome. Maybe. As long as you are Christian/nothing, and don't have a sabbath on a Friday or Saturday.
#22 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I~love~pie View Post
of when everything was closed on Sundays? Remember those days? And everything closed early on Saterdays.. probably wouldnt help retail much
I lived in London for 2 years, and shops have specific laws they have to follow regarding open hours especially sundays. It's really freaking annoying and I am very grateful I now live in an area where I can actually pop out for a gallon of milk on a sunday afternoon!

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#23 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 02:01 PM

One of my greatest pleasures in life is my trip to the library on Sunday afternoons and then stopping at the store to decide what to fix for our special dinner. I would really hate not to be able to do that. I am not joking when I say it would be changing the quality of my life - I look forward to that afternoon all week.
#24 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 02:04 PM

We often do home repair/gardening on Sundays and it would drive me crazy if we needed some tool and couldn't finish the job because the hardware store was closed!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#25 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 02:04 PM

We are not Jewish, but do keep the Sabbath on the last day of the week which is in fact Saturday.

Having stores closed on Sunday's would be awful for us.

If you don't want to see stores open on Sunday, don't go to them and stay home, then you won't see them.
#26 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Depends. How I hated those long wet cold miserable rural Irish Sundays when everything was closed and there was nothing to do but fight with your siblings about which of the two television stations to watch.

On the other hand, Shabbat in Tel Aviv is awesome. Most things are closed, but there is the beach to hang out on and lovely weather. I can deal with that.
#27 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM

I have a really hard time seeing how this could benefit anyone.
#28 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM

I really dislike it when shops are closed automatically on Sunday. Not everyone is in church on Sunday...
#29 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 02:19 PM

I would loathe it.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#30 of 108 Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
Nope. No nostalgia for those days. Too many ER visits with RX that needed to be filled and no open pharmacies.

Nope. No nostalgia.

And with kids now, I can't imagine not being able to do all my shopping and errands on the weekends given that I have DD during the day and work evenings.

V
: We tend to do a lot of our errands as a family on weekends so no things being closed would not be good. Its been hard enough adjusting to living in a rural state compared to where I came from and so many of the local small shops are closed.

Someone mentioned shops being closed on Monday, well I live in Southern Maine and often local restaurants are closed on Mondays and its a PITA.

I remember when things used to be closed on weekends and honestly I don't know if that would be all that great. I was just thinking about folks who have weekend jobs, being closed Sundays would hurt folks like that (think families were maybe Mom works weekends to bring in some extra cash and not use childcare).

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page