S/O Good items for bartering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've got a pretty good pantry set up for my family but I was thinking it would be good to have increased amounts of some items that I could use for bartering if needed.

I already have a bit of alcohol and I have a few bags of sugar because I do a lot of canning. I have 1 bag of coffee beans which I keep on hand for visitors because we don't drink coffee.

Oh, I also have a huge box of matches.

Can anyone think of other things to have on hand for bartering? What would people most likely be looking for? I don't want to have stuff that we don't use so I'm thinking I would just have larger amounts of stuff we already have. Except for coffee - DH and I hate it so I'm not willing to buy more than 1 bag

Martha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 03:14 PM

spices...whole would be best, like whole peppercorns, whole nutmegs
Old 02-22-2009, 03:21 PM

How about first aid supplies? Like tylenol and antibiotic ointment and gauze.

Food wise- ??? Maybe Coffe may be a good idea and you could always give it away as presnets if you think you've held on to it too long.Otherwise yeah things that you already use.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Toilet paper!!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:08 PM

Cigarettes/Booze/Pot.

I personally don't consume any of those, but addictive substances are always in extreme demand.

Medicines, spices, seeds, and hard goods like tools, guns and motor oil.

I guess I don't see bartering as being very essential unless TSHTF.

Most people can go to the store and get pepper and Tylenol- so my list is for when TSHTF, not for right now obviously.

I can see skills being barter worthy more than hardgoods. Like if you can sew/mend or you know how to make that sheep down the street into something wearable/knittable.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post
spices...whole would be best, like whole peppercorns, whole nutmegs
Excellent idea! We use a lot of spices in our cooking so this wouldn't go to waste. Plus we have a spice grinder so we could have the whole spices and they would last longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
How about first aid supplies? Like tylenol and antibiotic ointment and gauze.

Food wise- ??? Maybe Coffe may be a good idea and you could always give it away as presnets if you think you've held on to it too long.Otherwise yeah things that you already use.
Great idea about the first aid supplies. I actually have quite a bit stored up since I am a vet tech and when I considered how I could be a useful member of my community in an emergency situation I realized I could use my medical skills to help both animals and people. So, I have the usual stuff plus I have some more specialized things that I could use if access to medical care is difficult or impossible.

DH and I have put quite a bit of thought into building community and what skills we have to offer and who we know and what skills they have to offer. We are lucky in that we know all the people on our little street (5 houses) and every house has people with diverse and useful skills.

Skills are another really good thing to have available to barter. Even if your skill is just having the muscle power to do heavy lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Toilet paper!!!!
Yes!!!!! I'm trying to convince DH to go to family cloth but it would be handy to have some paper to trade.

Great stuff guys! It's good to have a dialogue about this.

Martha
Old 02-22-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
Cigarettes/Booze/Pot.

I personally don't consume any of those, but addictive substances are always in extreme demand.

Medicines, spices, seeds, and hard goods like tools, guns and motor oil.

I guess I don't see bartering as being very essential unless TSHTF.

Most people can go to the store and get pepper and Tylenol- so my list is for when TSHTF, not for right now obviously.

I can see skills being barter worthy more than hardgoods. Like if you can sew/mend or you know how to make that sheep down the street into something wearable/knittable.
I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy cigarettes or pot but I agree that addictive substances are even more popular in hard times.

I have to disagree about bartering only being essential if TSHTF. I think if people are having hard times and don't have cash, they might go looking for items they need and can obtain without money. For example, if I needed something repaired in my house, maybe I could offer the person some coffee or whiskey as payment. Or, if someone really needed some toilet paper, maybe they might offer to sew some clothes for me or something like that. I don't think those scenarios are exclusive to an end of the world situation.

But, as I said in my previous post, I do feel that having useful skills is also essential. So, I agree with you there.

Martha
Old 02-22-2009, 04:55 PM

We have stuff to make alcohol. It doesn't take up as much room.

A five gallon pail; a carboy (a big water cooler jug, but the old school glass version); a two gallon pail full of tubing, air locks, hydrometer, etc.; as well as little packets of champagne yeast and super yeast. This, when combined with sugar or malt and water yeilds everything from wine to moonshine in pretty short order.

And frankly, I think if our currency is drastically devalued and we needed to barter, booze would be a pretty good way to go.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:56 PM

I agree with the cigarettes/booze/pot but then add chocolate and coffee to the list too.

BTW Kittynurse, I am not ignoring your PM, but just procrastinating in responding . I know you know what I mean.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
We have stuff to make alcohol. It doesn't take up as much room.

A five gallon pail; a carboy (a big water cooler jug, but the old school glass version); a two gallon pail full of tubing, air locks, hydrometer, etc.; as well as little packets of champagne yeast and super yeast. This, when combined with sugar or malt and water yeilds everything from wine to moonshine in pretty short order.

And frankly, I think if our currency is drastically devalued and we needed to barter, booze would be a pretty good way to go.
That awesome that you have all that stuff. It's also an excellent example of smart preparations vs. not-so-smart preparations. For you guys, it's smart to stock up on things to supply your alcohol making ability because you already use it and if nothing bad ever happens, you will still use it. For us, we drink maybe once every 2 or 3 months so it would be stupid to go out and buy everything for making alcohol just in case TSHTF. It's smarter for us to buy a few bottles of wine that we like and store that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post
I agree with the cigarettes/booze/pot but then add chocolate and coffee to the list too.

BTW Kittynurse, I am not ignoring your PM, but just procrastinating in responding . I know you know what I mean.
LOL Honeydee! If you responded promptly, you would need to turn in your membership badge for our little "club" No worries!

Martha

User Tag List