Do you think Euro Highchairs are worth the$$ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the Stokke seat but it is way too $$. So i found one at onestepahead that is over half the price and it has a highchair tray. I have looked at thrift stores (The woman said once a year they get one)and Craigslist and the obvious Freecycle. No bites. I have been looking for over a year and feel like I may just have to bit the bullet. What do you all think? Do you think it will get used for a while, technically I can sit on it. And with the tray the next one can use it as a highchair.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...tegoryId=85205

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#2 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM

I bought one at goodwill last year for like $6 or some cheap price like that. They had no idea that what a Stokke was. I was excited. I got it home and really didn't care for it that much. It may be useful if you have a table with only 4chairs and then you have another baby and need a 5th chair. I like our peg perego (sp?). I ended up selling it for quite a bit on ebay.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#3 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM

I got a Stokke seat in clearance at TRU online for $66 (that was with shipping). I was so mad that I didn't have the $ to get 2!

I like the chair ok, I certainly don't love it and could totally live without it. I would be totally kicking myself if I had spent the $200 on it.

You won't be disappointed in your purchase, but may not be totally thrilled either.
#4 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 05:27 PM

we have the svan chair, off craigslist.

I like it ok, but i would be disjointed if we spent the dough on it. The buckle is ridiculously hard to get on and off you have to sort of fish for it under your kids butt and adjusting it is a huge pain. It is pretty and fits our decor well haha if youre into that. Its much better looking than a huge piece of plastic junk and dd might use it later who knows. We dont ahve a dinning room table, we have a bar style kitchen and now she has a cild sized table. so it never got use like that.

the one thing i did really like about it, is that its very very light and compact and could easily go in the truck of the car when we travel or go to friends for dinner or whatever.
#5 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 05:27 PM

My 22 month old daughter hasn't sat in a high chair for 3 months now. We have a learning tower and she just stands in it to eat her meals. We push it right up to the dining table, or to the kitchen island if the kids are eating there.
#6 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM

I've been wondering about that too. I really don't want a huge plastic one and I like that these are multi-functional, but they're so expensive!
#7 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 06:02 PM

We have a Svan. Jury's still out in this house on whether it was worthwhile. I mostly didn't want to buy plastic, not even because it's "low class" or anything but just the idea of plastic in the landfill and all that. I'm sure the plastic ones are much easier to clean - the Svan has these little crevices that got a fair amount of gunk (but if you're totally anal about cleaning it thoroughly each time I'm sure you'd be fine). We still have the Svan, but I think that if I freecycle it and then have another baby, I might not get a highchair at all next time.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#8 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM

NAK... We have the Svan too. The thing is about to collapse because the screws keep coming out. Some are missing now...who knows where. We don't use it anymore because I'm afraid it's going to collapse in a heap with dd in it. I would go for the Stokke next time though.
#9 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 PM

My stokke kinderzeat has been thru 2 kids and 4 years of beatings, LOVE IT.
#10 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM

I have to wonder what is so great about it too.
#11 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 06:21 PM

I know friends who used to have them, but I never really saw the point, TBH. We did have a regular plastic high chair for our kids when they were infants/small toddlers. But after they outgrew the high chair, they started sitting on regular kitchen chairs. It's never been a problem for us.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#12 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
I know friends who used to have them, but I never really saw the point, TBH. We did have a regular plastic high chair for our kids when they were infants/small toddlers. But after they outgrew the high chair, they started sitting on regular kitchen chairs. It's never been a problem for us.
Yeah same here. We have a cheap $20 high chair from IKEA and it works great plus it takes up very little floorspace. It is way easier to clean than the huge expensive high chair we had with our first. I really don't see the point of the euro highchairs.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#13 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 PM

We love our Stokke and got it because a friend got two knock-offs (one was onestepahead) and had problems with both. With got a cheaper version for $10 at a garage sale and have been just as happy with it since we don't need the buckle, but it needs duck tape or the board slides out. We were at a birthday party recently and the family had a knock-off and they had to keep tightening a screw for the chair to be functional.

I love having that type of chair for both kids.
#14 of 21 Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 PM

We have two of the one step ahead chairs that you posted to...and they're great. DS who is 5 and a half uses one, and dd who is 2 and a half uses the other. They are just as nice as the stokke/trip trapp chairs IMO, as my dad has my old tripp trapp chair at his house, so we've used both. (Yes - the tripp trapp is 34 years old and doing great!)
We decided to get two chairs as they really last. The point of having them for older children are able to have their feet flat on the riser, and be appropriately high at the table. This really makes them more comfortable and less apt to wiggle around, sit on their knees, etc. My cousin's kids are 4, 8 and 12 and still using these style chairs, so it's a worthwhile investment. I did find that the plastic seat cushions got ripped after about 8 months, so I sent them back and they replaced them for me very quicky. One step ahead is good like that. It's been a year now and the new cushions aren't showing wear. How's that for a good review?
As for the pp - you can adjust and tighten the chairs with the allen wrench that comes with it...although it may have gotten lost if you got it at a yard sale. Def keep that allen wrench since you will change the settings over time.
Oh - and as soon as we could detach the straps we did so. They are complicated and a bit tight. But the chair was heavy enough that we could push dd into the table and she'd stay put.

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10
#15 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 AM

I don't know anything about them. I do know that I hate the big honking plastic kind though. We bought a wooden one at a flea market pretty cheap. Under $20, I think? I painted it red and it looks so great in my kitchen. It's old fashioned, with the spindles on the back. Very cute. So there are other options if you are just looking to avoid a big piece of plastic.
#16 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 AM

I love my stokkke.it is very hardwearing.I was lucky enough to get mine at the consignment store for $60.It was like new and even had the velor cushion.I haven't seen one since though.

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#17 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 10:58 AM

We love our Stokkes. We have one for each of our girls. The chairs have weathered the abuse by the girls wonderfully. I can't say as much for the dining room chairs that we've had.

We paid full price :. And we would do it again if there was a third in our future. We see these chairs as legacy items for the kids.
#18 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM

My BIL went crazy for the Kinderzeat and bought one for his dd and ours as well. Its a great seat but dd2 wont sit in it anymore. If you're local, come pick it up.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#19 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 AM

We have two of the ones from onestepahead and a Keekaroo. I did get the tray with the keekaroo. I am glad it was free. It is too small to put a plate on, and we always just put their chairs up to the table anyway. We have gotten tons of use out of ours, and they are holding up well. The one thing I don't like about the onestepahead one is the plastic covered pad that velcros to the seat. It didn't last much more than a year or two, and now I have these ugly velcro strips left on the chairs.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#20 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM

I got the one from One Step Ahead at a yard sale and love it.
melissa
#21 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 02:09 PM

we have 2 of the stokke kinderzeat and love them. my 10 yo is in one of them. one i found on craigslist after stalking for a year. we need another one for baby...must start stalking again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page