How has the recession personally affected you? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For us, it hasn't affected us too much because we were already poor, lol, but it has definitely caused us to change our future plans and dreams. Last year dh quit one job and thought he would find another one fairly easily. It took 8 months and he finally landed a very recession-proof job. Meanwhile we racked up huge cc debt that we are blessed to be more than 2/3 done paying off, thanks to a small windfall and a lot of sacrifice. It's been a very stressful road though.

We sold our car that we were paying on just before fall of 2007 so we got lucky because soon after that gas prices exploded (it was an SUV). Since then we've driven 15 and 25 year old cars. The major changes we've done is that we completely stopped buying ourselves anything. I haven't had a new pair of jeans in years, and I stopped shopping at dept stores and hitting Target and Old Navy, but I am still wearing the same clothes from 2-3 years ago. I miss being able to treat myself, but we put our dd1 in preschool twice a week instead.

We tried to sell our house last year but couldn't. The plan was to move to Costa Rica and live a quiet, laid-back, almost off-the-grid life. Since selling our house was the only way to get any money to start a new life, we were stuck here in Idaho. We lowered the price as much as we could. This recession is keeping us here in Idaho, through winters we hate and a local economy that is getting bleaker by the day. I am just hoping God has a hand in this and maybe moving there wasn't best for us.

Gone are dreams about the lovely, tiled Spanish-style home in the tropics. Instead, we are trying to finish our basement and make this home as nice as we possibly can on a shoestring budget. Goodbye visions of Disneyland, hello campgrounds. Goodbye restaurants, hello BBQs in our backyard. The next bit of cash will go to tuning up the old faithful '94 Ford SUV. I am applying for a $10 an hour part-time job selling stuff at summer fairs and festivals and praying I will get it. I always hear about the American dream and how anyone can have the life they want with hard work and perseverance, but I feel duped, because dh and I both hardworking, college-educated with good resumes and right now, we feel extremely blessed to be where we are at (below the poverty line) because dh's got a job. We have to learn to bloom where we've been planted now, but I do feel pretty upset sometimes at how many dreams this recession has crushed and how many people it has trapped. How has it affected you and your plans?
#2 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 01:04 PM

It hasn't other than increased anxiety about the collaspe of the dollar and the always looming possibility of a job loss.

But day to day? No effect. (knock on wood)
#3 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 PM

A significant (unrealized) decline in net worth. Worrying about family more.
#4 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 01:17 PM

I lost my job and it is difficult finding a new one. Even if/when I do get a new job, it may require a large paycut or other compromises.
#5 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 PM

My house was forclosed, our van repod, and my DH was laid off.
#6 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 PM

im afraid to say anything, I may jinx myself. Although we have had a few lay offs with people in our family. fil got layed off from his job, and so did my aunt. we have lost a big % from our 401Ks. I have alot more stress now than I did before. I have been trying to pay down our debt faster , save more, stock the pantry more. I will not use any cc's as I dont want to make any more debt for us.
#7 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 01:57 PM

Like Velochic, a significant decrease in net worth (from investments, etc) We've also been unable to sell our house, which we were trying to do because we need more space then we curently have, especially with 4 rapidly-growing boys. We're thinking of it as almost a blessing in disguise now, though, because our mortgage payment is low and we're able to pay it easily while saving significant money each month and maintaining a comfortable lifestyle. We have cut back on eating out/take out, it used to be 3-4 times a month and now it's usually just once.
#8 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 01:59 PM

We are being more careful with out money and saving more. I'm thinking more about stockpiling, etc. The biggest thing though is our 401k. I haven't even looked at it. I really don't want to know how bad it is because I can't do anything about it and it will only cause me stress. Thankfully we are about 30 so we have a long time before we retire.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#9 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 02:10 PM

We're a lot like OP.. only stuck in Utah

I took a job last year so that DH could find something he was happier with/safer/healthier (he was working for an air pollution testing company). The job I ended up finding was great in the beginning, then my boss started verbally assaulting me so I had to quit.. We've been living off a combination of temp jobs, and unemployment benefits, and putting gas in the car with my measly $300/month from my PT job.

We bought our house at the peak of the real estate market, with the intention of living in it for a year or two, then selling it for the equity and ex-pating to central America and living somewhat off the grid in a nice little tropical farm.

DH has a job now, but the market is affecting his current job as well. He puts out resumes all the time, has a college degree, and is very skilled, but no one has a position for him.. it's very frustrating.

Where do we go from here? We will probably end up at MIL's basement apt, which would be good and bad. But at least there we can all pull our resources together and ride this out.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#10 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM

DH was laid off in Oct and can't find another job, and for the first time in my life I applied for, and am receiving, state health insurance for DD and WIC.

When his unemployment benefits run out, I guess we'll be applying for TANF, food stamps, and energy assistance. But maybe he'll be able to find a job before then, although its not looking so good.

And if MY employment downsizes, I have no idea what we'll do, having no relatives to move in with or other places to go.
#11 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~gilli~ View Post
My house was forclosed, our van repod, and my DH was laid off.

I just keep telling my husband, whatever happens we aren't the only one. We have to stick together.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#12 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirited View Post
I always hear about the American dream and how anyone can have the life they want with hard work and perseverance, but I feel duped, because dh and I both hardworking, college-educated with good resumes and right now, we feel extremely blessed to be where we are at (below the poverty line) because dh's got a job. We have to learn to bloom where we've been planted now, but I do feel pretty upset sometimes at how many dreams this recession has crushed and how many people it has trapped.
I know that hard work is simply not enough most of the time. You need luck, connections, and some street savvy in addition to hard work and perseverence. Dh is a wonderfully hard worker, super smart, has a law degree. But he doesn't have connections and doesn't have the street savvy to get connections. He hasn't had the luck to get a job without connections. And he is therefore unemployed.

Mom to a little boy (June 2009)
#13 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 02:18 PM

My job is recession-proof (teacher with a lot of seniority) but my partner has gotten laid off twice.

The first time he got laid off was a job he had for years, they shut down his entire division... on the day I found out I was pregnant! Took him a few months to find a job, he found a GREAT one that paid so well and would work SO well with me teaching during the day, but it ended in February (company lost the contract he was working under) and there's a slight chance it will start up again, but we don't know. Just in time for baby to be born.

Which all means.... going back to work at 6 weeks PP. To me, that is the biggest tragedy in all this. I never, never wanted to work with a tiny baby at home. At least baby will be with dad though.
#14 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 02:19 PM

My DH is going to be laid off this summer. That in itself is not due to the recession, but due to his company relocating. He was offered a job at the new location, but we turned it down because we love living here. I hope we do not regret that choice. How the recession is going to affect us is all in how long it will take him to find a new job. I could also go back to work, but I have been out of the workforce for 5 years now and with the job market the way it is, I can't imagine I'd find anything that paid enough for us to make the mortgage, forget about food and other stuff.

We have cut back a lot on going out to eat/ordering in - do it every 4 to 6 weeks now. Tho because of a visit from an out of town friend and my DS's birthday it will be twice this month. We no longer get our allowances and instead we are socking that money away. I have been delaying any purchases that aren't absolutely necessary, but it's hard! Easiest way is to just toss all catalogs immediately and don't set foot in a mall. We dropped long distance on our phone, cut back to prepaid cell, dropped to the lowest cable package and are prepared to drop it entirely, except for Internet.

Our 401Ks have dropped by half, and my mom and my MIL are both in trouble. My mom went back to work, luckily she just retired and was still able to swing a PT arrangement at work that gives her enough to cover her mortgage each month. My MIL is going to be in dire straits soon, and I suspect we will have to start sending her money - tho where that will come from if DH is unemployed I don't know. She also just retired last summer, but the office where she worked has reduced staff and she can't go back. She also doesn't seem to want to find another job, even PT. She may not have a choice if this keeps up.
#15 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 02:26 PM

I lost $2,000 in my "high risk" retirement IRA. Other than that nothing has really affected us. I am going to switch to a local credit union because I am not happy with the poor decisions being made by most of the federal banks. I am also putting a dent in my debt and hope to be free of debt (except the mortgage) in another 7 months.

***I'm tired of being controlled by fear by Washington...liberal, conservative....most are all eliteists who have no clue what is best for us. I mean on a smaller level walk into the "behind scenes" of any court room and see the district attorney and the defense attorney joking around, talking about their most recent golf trip, and making a deal about the next case that's coming up that doesn't even stand a chance of being heard unbiasedly. The two players "argue in court" about their side and "what's right" but in real life...neither of them give a shit. They, the elitists, have already decided the fate of the poor/ minority/ woman/ man/ black/white/ homeless/me/ you..... because that's what works out best in their favor.
It's the same in washington....
we have the power to change what's going on out there and it goes way beyond who we elect as our state deligate....

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#16 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 02:26 PM

It hasn't at all, I get a ton of OT at work still. I work for the ARC and we are always short staffed. It's such a huge agency that I can go over to any ISL or group home and pick up extra shifts.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#17 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM

I worry constantly that my currently-in-college children will not be able to find jobs when they graduate. I worry that my working-three-part-time-job co-workers are getting enough to eat and not permanently damaging themselves by not going to the doctor they can't afford when they are hurt. I worry about my blood pressure when I hear the "latte and McMansion" crapola. I worry that husband will never be able to retire. I work in retail, and our chain is doing ok, so that's is not a large worry.

We are still doing ok, thank God. Except for the large hits to our retirement savings that everyone else has, we have enough. No extras, but no problem with the day to day.
#18 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 03:11 PM

We lost our home because my husband was unable to find work. We had to move over 10 hours away from all of our family to find an area to live in that was more economically viable. We moved from an area where the recession was already in full swing, though (MI).

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#19 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 03:19 PM

Dh works on 100% commission, he sells cars, so it is affecting us, less people are buying cars and less people are able to be financed because of poor credit. We went to see his family for most of January, so that was one strike against us, everyone is refinancing their homes-I mean everyone, so that is slowing our process down-that's two strikes, strike three: February so far this month he has only made about 2000K, which is about 2000K less than we need to pay our bills.

Because of our debts, we are not ttc for at least another year, probably two, eventhough we both want ttc now. We just can't afford the health insurance for me through dh's work until we pay down debt. Dh makes decent wages, but it would no doubt be more if it wasn't for the recession, which would help us get out of debt faster and start saving money.

I am having a hard time finding a job, even part time, possibly because i can only work certain hours, possibly because of the rise in competition in the workforce 62000+ are unemployed in my metro area alone. I have thought about continuing my education, but then again , don't want anymore loans, so that is out of the question at the moment. Right now I am just hoping that things pick up for dh at work, we get the house refinanced before April and I can make some extra money through selling things online/at yardsales, etc.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#20 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 03:24 PM

For the moment, I can say that we actually in better shape financially than we ever have been (we don't include the loss on the value of the house). We are out of debt now (except that mortgage) and have savings in the bank.
Its easier to live way way way below your means with the threat of impending financial ruin looming over your head

Mom to 2 little ladybugs, age 4 and 6, and wife to that guy that lives here. 
#21 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 PM

I waitress in fine dining and I can tell you right now that my tips each week have been cut by about 2/3 because business is slower than poo sliding down a wall. How's that for imagery. No one is out buying $50 steaks right now. I am supposed to be scheduled 3 days a week but they can only give me 2 because we just don't need many people right now but then I usually get called off for one of those shifts so I am technically down to one day a week.

DH's work put a cap on how much overtime they can pick up (down to 5 hours a week). His overtime was really helping things out for a while.

My FIL may be having his hours cut from 6 days a week down to 4 and if that is the case then my MIL will have to get a job which brings up the possibility of her not being able to watch the kids anymore when I work.

Things are very, very, tight right now. For a while there things were really looking good because we had a little breathing room and didn't feel so strapped, things were getting paid off and we could do cool stuff once in a while, but now I feel like we've been set back about 2 years.
#22 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM

Zero impact. Praying it stays that way.
#23 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM

The recession has impacted us in very positive ways.

It is highlighting all the very important things like family, health and living simply. Our extended family is suggesting things like making next Christmas a homemade Christmas which I think is a beautiful idea. It is making our community stop to reaccess our local economics and emphasizing how important it is to put your money into local money markets instead of glabal giants. It is a reminder to live within your means. It is also causing dh and I to get really creative and see opportunity in all of this. What kind of businesses will thrive in times like these? What can we offer our community that will be valuable? What important lessons can we learn from this and how can we pass these lessons on in an empowering way for our children?

Change is the only constant and I was very unhappy with the way our world was anyways, so for me I see this as the first step in changing towards a more sustainable and ethically just global community.

We are simple folk and for some reason we have more money now and feel more inclined to share our money with local businesses.
#24 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No impact here, either. We're low-income, we rent, have no 401k, no investments, nothing to lose. The two small, locally-owned restaurants dh works at are doing well - it seems people still have money to go out for gingerbread pancakes and tempeh enchiladas.
#25 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers View Post
the recession has impacted us in very positive ways.

It is highlighting all the very important things like family, health and living simply. Our extended family is suggesting things like making next christmas a homemade christmas which i think is a beautiful idea. It is making our community stop to reaccess our local economics and emphasizing how important it is to put your money into local money markets instead of glabal giants. It is a reminder to live within your means. It is also causing dh and i to get really creative and see opportunity in all of this. What kind of businesses will thrive in times like these? What can we offer our community that will be valuable? What important lessons can we learn from this and how can we pass these lessons on in an empowering way for our children?

Change is the only constant and i was very unhappy with the way our world was anyways, so for me i see this as the first step in changing towards a more sustainable and ethically just global community.

We are simple folk and for some reason we have more money now and feel more inclined to share our money with local businesses.
yes!
#26 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Neither dh nor I ever invested in a 401k but I did invest in some precious metals last spring and lost my shirt. Technically I haven't "lost" anything since I haven't sold but I can't even bear to log onto my account and see single digits where there was once double.

Also, dh had been picking up a ton of OT in the past months but they suddenly put an end to that and now they have it organized to where they work the existing workers to the bone, literally to the burn-out point, rather than have to pay anyone OT or hire more people. At least dh has a business trip coming up that should net us an extra wad of cash to pay off some of our smaller debts, and if I get the job I am applying for, it is another couple grand during the course of the summer. Not much but I will take it!

Hugs to all you who have been so affected by this. It's so disheartening to hear of so many jobs and homes lost. If we had sold our house we were going to move in with my parents which is apparently becoming quite common.
#27 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM

Let us see. DH has had four pay decreases. We are stuck in a house that is in a toxic neighborhood and part of town. Both have gained tons of weight because we hate the outdoors so much. Nothing like driving over an hour just to do something simple like taking a walk. We are still going to see about moving though.

Basically just a general buzz kill on life and dreams.
#28 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM

The recession's major effect on me has been emotional.

Financially, my retirement funds have tanked - but luckily I have a few decades before retirement to re-earn and re-save all that money. My house has decreased a little in value, but banks are practically giving loans away now so I was able to re-fi at a great rate (4.5%). We haven't changed our spending at all - we were never living outside our means, so there's nothing to change.

But I worry that last year's salary freeze will become a salary cut or layoff; boss has already told us layoffs are inevitable this year.

And I am enraged that only some investments are bailed out. Lose value in your car? Nobody bats an eyelash. Lose value in my retirement funds? Congress won't bail me out. Yet people who lost value in their homes are getting super-generous re-fis, and banks are even authorized to reduce loan balance! Similarly, only some industries are bailed out. Automakers and bankers, Congress loves you. My own profession? We're SOL.

And most of all I cry (well, not literally) that my daughter and her peers will have to pay the bill for all this bailout nonsense. Goodbye personal responsibility, hello, make your children pay for your neighbor's - not even your own - bailouts. :

The only thing you owe to others is to behave with integrity.
#29 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
A promised bonus has, not surprisingly, evaporated.

And my BIL got laid off.

My brother owns his own business with seven employees. He worries about having to lay them off.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#30 of 108 Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 PM

Like a few others pp, We lost over 60K in the investments of our retirement acct. With contributions etc, it should recover in 3-4 years and we have another 30 years before retirement. We are feeling positive and are just glad we already were putting $ away and not worrying about debt.

When the gas went up last summer, it affected pricing of everything else so that was a short term hit on our expenses and we were able to work around that, but again it hurt there for a while.

As for DH's business, physical therapy- people still get hurt or need treatment. Some are choosing to come in twice a week since the co pay is harder to swing 3 times a week. So they still do their appts, just over a longer span of time. Also, they are listening to him, wanting to get healthy again. Imagine that! As for the patient who does not have benefits, we may have a person get treated on the side and we would barter something since not many will let DH treat them for free.

We have lived a pretty simple, natural, and frugal lifestyle for quite some time now but we are putting more $ in the education funds for the girls, building up the emergency money fund too.

Also, its very hard to see people in my community stuggling to make ends meet. Some people lived on the high hog but others may already had had it rough and now its even harder.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page