"How to feed your family for less" - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2009, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$50-75 per day means unless you have a pretty large salary, a large portion of it is going to feed you and your husband each day. Like the first 4-5 hours of your day, at least, you are working so you can go eat out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I have also heard from families IRL who complain how much food is but then you see the portions they put out even for the younger kids. The larger kid eats the whole thing and just gets bigger as they get older. The other child picks at it and then it gets thrown out-wasted instead of keeping it in the pot and having it the next day.
This reminded me about food waste and food standards. I know some people are more squeamish than others, but I feel our family shares germs all the time anyway and as long as it's just our family at dinner I just put all the salvagable leftovers (off the plates) back in the fridge for reheating the next day.

We used to throw out what was probably an exhorbitant amount of food. Not any more. I also have my kids "trained" (LOL) to offer anything they don't want to the rest of the family before they abandon it. Usually one kid would love the last two bites of the other kid's meat, or whatever.

I draw the line at reusing leftovers from people who are not in our family. I figure the germs in our family are endemic to our family, so we all have them anyway. The only exception is that I will take chicken bones from non-family members and put them in the pot for making soup stock. I figure I boil the heck out of it for hours and hours, so it's safe enough.

I try to get leftovers put away quickly after we're done eating, so they don't accidentally get abandoned or left out too long.

That was a bit of a tangent but I think that simply being conscious about preventing food waste can go a long way to keeping the grocery bill down. I don't think most people realize how much food they throw away. I didn't until we started using a compost bucket instead of tossing them in the trash. You can really see how fast food waste adds up in the compost bucket.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 03-13-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
That was a bit of a tangent but I think that simply being conscious about preventing food waste can go a long way to keeping the grocery bill down. I don't think most people realize how much food they throw away. I didn't until we started using a compost bucket instead of tossing them in the trash. You can really see how fast food waste adds up in the compost bucket.
Yes it was a bit of a tangent and I think I starting noticing how much food gets wasted when I started composting as well. Also, I read an article on dollar stretcher talking about 10-20% of your food expense goes in the trash since that is about how much average is wasted.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 03-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_unlimited View Post
$50-75 per day means unless you have a pretty large salary, a large portion of it is going to feed you and your husband each day. Like the first 4-5 hours of your day, at least, you are working so you can go eat out.
There are at least some people on MDC for whom $50-$75 is only the first hour of work. I understand that my partner is in the minority.

I am inconsistently frugal. We have months where we only spend $400 (I understand some of you still think that is still a lot) but we have months where we spend $1200. Something that I almost never see reflected on this board is that it is a *good thing* that people like us exist and eat out and spend a lot of money on food. If we didn't restaurants would go out of business and many jobs would be lost. That said: our only debt is our mortgage, we have at least 6 months income (not expenses--income) in ready cash, and we aggressively invest for retirement and college for our kidlet. You can be rich, spend a lot of money on 'frivolous' things, and still be making reasonable choices. Rich people need to spend money. If we don't we screw over the economy. I understand that I am in the minority on MDC but it would be awesome if there was slightly less scorn for people who spend a lot of money on food. We are not all irresponsible--we are just doing our part to keep the economy going.

(I think about this kind of thing a lot. I have enormous respect for those of you who are feeding your family's well on little money. I wish you had been around to teach my mom tricks when I was little and we lived in poverty. I ate more Top Ramen than any five college students put together.)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
There are at least some people on MDC for whom $50-$75 is only the first hour of work. I understand that my partner is in the minority.

I am inconsistently frugal. We have months where we only spend $400 (I understand some of you still think that is still a lot) but we have months where we spend $1200. Something that I almost never see reflected on this board is that it is a *good thing* that people like us exist and eat out and spend a lot of money on food. If we didn't restaurants would go out of business and many jobs would be lost. That said: our only debt is our mortgage, we have at least 6 months income (not expenses--income) in ready cash, and we aggressively invest for retirement and college for our kidlet. You can be rich, spend a lot of money on 'frivolous' things, and still be making reasonable choices. Rich people need to spend money. If we don't we screw over the economy. I understand that I am in the minority on MDC but it would be awesome if there was slightly less scorn for people who spend a lot of money on food. We are not all irresponsible--we are just doing our part to keep the economy going.

(I think about this kind of thing a lot. I have enormous respect for those of you who are feeding your family's well on little money. I wish you had been around to teach my mom tricks when I was little and we lived in poverty. I ate more Top Ramen than any five college students put together.)
This is one way to look at it. Sure.

But, there's also the point of view that says, hey, you can be rich, and you can *give* it away. Or be able to quit working at your current career and do what you love. Or all sorts of things.

If someone *wants* to spend a good amount of money on eating out and the like--GREAT. But, it's when it sneaks up on them, and they make statements (like on the Oprah Show) of, "we had no idea how much we were spending", that's when I think something ought to change.

No matter how much money you have, it's a good thing to make sure that you are being intentional about where the money is going.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Something that I almost never see reflected on this board is that it is a *good thing* that people like us exist and eat out and spend a lot of money on food.
It might have to do with the fact, that you posted on the "frugality and finances" section, where a lot of people are short on money and have to budget.

If you can afford it, why not spend the money on foods you like. Although, organic and local are still two big issues I would want to consider, even if I could afford blueberries from Chile at this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
But, there's also the point of view that says, hey, you can be rich, and you can *give* it away. Or be able to quit working at your current career and do what you love.
Maybe she loves what she is doing already? And maybe they are spending and giving away on top of it? You are implying that she doesn't, but you just don't know.

Quote:
No matter how much money you have, it's a good thing to make sure that you are being intentional about where the money is going.
Yes, I completely agree. But I can also imagine, that it would be very easy to let it slide, if budgeting is not a not a necessity anymore. Also, some might consider this to be misery behavior.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I have also heard from families IRL who complain how much food is but then you see the portions they put out even for the younger kids. The larger kid eats the whole thing and just gets bigger as they get older. The other child picks at it and then it gets thrown out-wasted instead of keeping it in the pot and having it the next day. They even give these portions to themselves. if you're eating out and not taking half of the entree home, you are also eating double what you need to be eating in a meal.
This. I have seen people give their children WAY too much and most of it either gets scraped off into the compost(if they are at my house), or into the trash (their house). I just don't get it. We try not to waste anything because we work way too hard for our food! I think that some of it is because these people I'm talking about don't obtain their food the same way we do. We raise our own meat/help family butcher trapped wild meat, garden/pick wild... And when we eat out we either split an entree, or bring home lots. And this is because we simply can't eat that much food in a sitting!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:

No I dont have a problem, she is not spending my money but I am still floored. I would not even respond but the OP was looking to spend less, thus the reason for the thread.

If we have people who can support the economy by eating out each and every night, they have every right to do that just like I have every right to eat more frugal and spend that money on keeping us debt free and spreading the wealth to the less fortunate by stocking food pantries or showing them others how to stretch a dollar, make sure they are not eating just ramen noodles.- Not because they are cheap, but that is unhealthy for a child to eat that many!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
This is one way to look at it. Sure.

But, there's also the point of view that says, hey, you can be rich, and you can *give* it away. Or be able to quit working at your current career and do what you love. Or all sorts of things.

If someone *wants* to spend a good amount of money on eating out and the like--GREAT. But, it's when it sneaks up on them, and they make statements (like on the Oprah Show) of, "we had no idea how much we were spending", that's when I think something ought to change.

We do give it away. We give lots of money away. And my husband would do his job as a hobby if he wasn't getting paid for it so there isn't much to work towards for that.

I'm not saying that unthoughtful spending is good--far from it. (I hope I didn't come off that way.) Just that spending itself isn't necessarily bad. I am very thoughtful about how I spend money. We do try to eat local, organic foods and I do a lot of cooking.

I read this section because you ladies are brilliant and you inspire me to think of very interesting foods to eat. I didn't grow up with home cooking and I don't have any innate skills in that department to fall back on. We now have get a CSA box and we are eating a huge array of foods that I've never had before in my life. Most of that is because of the stellar advice here. I love that you all are so smart and talented and willing to share your knowledge.

I really wasn't trying to waggle a finger at anyone. I'm just trying to encourage more love around MDC. :

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 PM

- cool!
It's great to get new ideas which is why I come here-I might need a little more creativity because of my big family. But non the less coming here for a common goal is awesome!

Mama of 4 all born at home : Mothering
Old 03-19-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_unlimited View Post
no we don't have a large salary so you are probably right we are a family of three living on under 60,000 (gross income) and in a some-what high col area.

eta: WE ARE DOING A LOT BETTER! This week i made a pot roast in the crock pot (thanks to you ladies i dusted mine off and put it on the counter)! WE ate that meal for two days! wahoo! We also made baked ziti tonight For lunch I did go to subway, but that is much cheaper than the "usual" places we go. baby steps right?!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 03-19-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
no we don't have a large salary so you are probably right we are a family of three living on under 60,000 (gross income) and in a some-what high col area.

eta: WE ARE DOING A LOT BETTER! This week i made a pot roast in the crock pot (thanks to you ladies i dusted mine off and put it on the counter)! WE ate that meal for two days! wahoo! We also made baked ziti tonight For lunch I did go to subway, but that is much cheaper than the "usual" places we go. baby steps right?!
Good for you!

Baby steps is definitely the way to go. Try to change too much all at once is a sure recipe for failure.

My best friend works FT & she's always found it helpful to make stuff on the weekends. She takes a couple hours & makes a big pot of soup or chili, a bunch of brown rice, some hard boiled eggs, muffins or banana bread for quick breakfasts or snacks, sometimes pizza dough, maybe a casserole type dish or lasagna.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
WE ARE DOING A LOT BETTER! This week i made a pot roast in the crock pot (thanks to you ladies i dusted mine off and put it on the counter)! WE ate that meal for two days! wahoo! We also made baked ziti tonight For lunch I did go to subway, but that is much cheaper than the "usual" places we go. baby steps right?!
That's great! When we were trying to pay off our debts, we went to a debt counselor and he said the area in which people fail is they buckle down too much too fast without giving themselves any wiggle room (like a clothing allowance for example), and then two-three months down the road, they might just give it up altogether.. I have found the same is true when it comes to our food..

If I went all beans and rice right away, I would "splurge" on eating out too much.. but allowing myself a FEW "gourmet" level meals cooked at home, I am giving in to that little bit of extravagance without losing sight of my long term goals..

And yes, I know that you can eat frugally and still eat well, but I don't see steak on anyone's frugal list for instance, but it is WAY cheaper to prepare at home once in a great while rather than eat it out once a great while kwim?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:00 PM

That is great! I am glad you have had success.

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
Your refrigerator is always running.
And that's unavoidable. I'm not going to multiply the risk by adding in appliances, especially not ones I bought at Kmart for $20.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
And yes, I know that you can eat frugally and still eat well, but I don't see steak on anyone's frugal list for instance, but it is WAY cheaper to prepare at home once in a great while rather than eat it out once a great while kwim?
We eat quite frugally and we have plenty of steak at our house. Of course we get a side so we have enough steaks to have everyone in on this thread for dinner, not that I am suggesting! LOL But it would be quite a party!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom View Post
Your refrigerator is always running.

Is yours running?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
Is yours running?
Yes it runs everyday. So far it has lost 15 lbs.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
We eat quite frugally and we have plenty of steak at our house. Of course we get a side so we have enough steaks to have everyone in on this thread for dinner, not that I am suggesting! LOL But it would be quite a party!
Sorry- poor example I guess.. but steak (from beef) is pricey for me, but steak from moose, for example.. free (when I can get it).. so all in how you look at it I guess..
Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
...I know some people are more squeamish than others, but I feel our family shares germs all the time anyway and as long as it's just our family at dinner I just put all the salvagable leftovers (off the plates) back in the fridge for reheating the next day.
Or into mumma's lunch box....:

Quote:
...I also have my kids "trained" (LOL) to offer anything they don't want to the rest of the family before they abandon it. Usually one kid would love the last two bites of the other kid's...whatever.
We call this "batting cleanup"!

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 PM

The whole refridgerator running reminds me of that old prank call- IS your refrigerator running? Well go catch it! Ok, back to adult hood....

Before we started buying the meat like we do, we too had less steak than we did now! If we were not able to buy the meat for the cost we did, we would not have as much as we do. We are also fortunate we could pay for it all at once too which most people cannot.

You do have to have a treat here and there or spend a bit more but just not all the time.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie1972 View Post

That said... my Mom was queen of making meals of nothing. Some of 'em were really, really not good. I remember one time she used spaghetti with a white saice, some veggies and kielbasa. It was so bad. That was over 20 years ago and I can still see it on my plate. Maybe she scarred me for life.
That actually sounds really good. I do something similar with fettucini alfredo, broccoli, and sausage. s
Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Yes it runs everyday. So far it has lost 15 lbs.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
That actually sounds really good. I do something similar with fettucini alfredo, broccoli, and sausage. s
The white sauce was gravy, no alredo to it, and kielbasa was a very distinct flavor. The veggies were carrots and peas of the frozen variety. Trust me... although I appreciated the departure from oatmeal with peanut butter in it... it was not repeatable.

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
Old 03-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie1972 View Post
The white sauce was gravy, no alredo to it, and kielbasa was a very distinct flavor. The veggies were carrots and peas of the frozen variety. Trust me... although I appreciated the departure from oatmeal with peanut butter in it... it was not repeatable.
DH makes oatmeal w a heap of peanut butter in it. He loves it, I think if we spread it out, we can seal the driveway myself but to each his own!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 PM

Back on topic..

I have found that one way to feed my family for cheap is to open my own bank account..

Dp LOVES to take the kids to BK or McDs or somewhere that has a playland, and I understand why- it is SNOWY and the kids get restless in the house, but he drops at least $20 each time he goes..

with my own bank account (with the majority of our money in it) I can limit this expenditure..

plus it isn't very healthy, but dp doesn't THINK about that stuff much, he just likes watching his kids have a good time..

Still, we are waiting impatiently for a new playland to open up just a couple of blocks from our house- it is in a coffee shop. I will feel better about THAT than McD's that's for sure.. and in a couple of months we should be back at the outdoor playgrounds!

User Tag List