Does anyone order groceries online? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just recently been able to start working FT again (health didn't permit it for several years before this), and have started taking a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class. My husband and I are very excited about the possibility of being able to pay off our debts sometime in the next two years.

One problem related to both of us working is that our schedules don't permit us very much time to go grocery shopping. Since I got the job, we have eaten out much, MUCH more often than is healthy for us, physically or fiscally. But we have to be home in the evenings, and we simply don't have time to shop.

So I want to find out how to order groceries online and have them delivered. Does anyone here do this? Is it any cheaper than hitting the supermarket? How is the quality of the food? Is the shipping price very high? How long do you have to wait for the delivery?

I would imagine it might be cheaper, simply because you wouldn't make all those impulse purchases that you sometimes do at the supermarket! But the price of shipping concerns me, so if anyone else does this, I'd love to benefit from your experience. I'm in Northern New England, too, so I'm not sure many places would deliver here.

Please. Educate me.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 10:09 PM

I use Peapod delivery through Stop & Shop periodically -- usually when I get an offer for free delivery. They offer discounts for accepting deliveries during their slow periods and they accept coupons, so when I take an off-hours delivery slot, use coupons, and shop sales, I can save quite a bit of money. I find that it cuts down on impulse shopping in a big way, too.

They don't always have everything available, so there are some limitations, but in general we can get 98% of our shopping done, leaving just a quick stop for one or two things once a month (like the extra-big bag of cat food we like to get). The quality is great and they have a good organics section. And while they bring everything in a scary amount of plastic bags, they also take them back and recycle them if you ask.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:20 PM

I have used Peapod before.

Generally though, here's my list of pros and cons

Pros:
less impulse shopping
convenience of delivery
ease of listmaking (Peapod saves a list of everything I've ever purchased online or instore, so I can just check off the things I need)
running tally of total as you add items to basket
choice of delivery times is pretty wide
can still use coupons - give them to the driver, and you will receive a credit
driver will also recycle your plastic bags from the previous orders
quality of produce just as good

Cons:
some items not available at Peapod (e.g. some brands or some sizes for instance I like to buy the gallon jugs of Lactaid, but only the halfgallons are available at Peapod)
depending on the packing, I have sometimes had broken eggs. However, customer service was good about giving me a credit.
having to plan a day in advance vs just running to store to grab what I want right now
not as good sales as in-store

Looking at my list, I do have more pros than cons. It was such a help when my twins were first born and when dh was gone for extended periods of time.
Nowadays, I just get the urge to go grocery shopping while DH watches the kiddos.
However, I still like to use Peapod if I just don't feel like going to the store and when I get the occasional free shipping deal.

Edited to add: Really I think the convenice will outweigh the delivery charge. In certain instances you don't have to be home to accept delivery, they can leave it at the door. Also, you get a discount for using direct check (they take the delivery out of your checking account) vs using a credit card. And also a discount for choosing certain delivery times.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

It sounds great, but alas, Peapod doesn't deliver to my area.

Anyone know any others? I've checked shopfoodex.com, but their markup is horrendous.

How about Amazon, now that they sell groceries? Do you have to order each thing separately, and pay separate shipping prices? Or can you just make one order? I have no idea how that works.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
Old 03-18-2009, 11:11 PM

There's an Amazon grocery watching thread on here! I'll see if I can find it...

Here 'tis!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1051974&page=5

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 AM

Amazon doesn't sell perishables - so there is limited usefullness in their grocery delivery.

In our area both Safeway and Peapod, and some smaller stores deliver. I like the online ordering, but it does cost more than the store. Peapod is most awesome because they have an unattended delivery option where they pack all your stuff in coolers and leave it for you! It does cut down on impulse shopping and can be accomplished so much faster than going to the store.

When I go back to work i will probably go back to Peapod rather than the store shopping I've been doing (at Aldi's because I am frugal!)

ETA - What about a CSA or dairy in your area that makes deliveries?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annekevdbroek View Post
Amazon doesn't sell perishables - so there is limited usefullness in their grocery delivery.

In our area both Safeway and Peapod, and some smaller stores deliver. I like the online ordering, but it does cost more than the store. Peapod is most awesome because they have an unattended delivery option where they pack all your stuff in coolers and leave it for you! It does cut down on impulse shopping and can be accomplished so much faster than going to the store.

When I go back to work i will probably go back to Peapod rather than the store shopping I've been doing (at Aldi's because I am frugal!)

ETA - What about a CSA or dairy in your area that makes deliveries?
In the Seattle area, Amazon is trialing a new service - Amazon Fresh - which does sell perishables. It's wonderful, they deliver to my door overnight or during the day (unattended). I don't have to be home, it comes in totes with ice packs as needed to keep things fresh/frozen. Then they later collect the totes. They will take bags back for recycling too. I cannot say enough excellent things about this service.

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 AM

How cool is that!!! I'd love it if they did that here!!!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 AM

Yes from Amazon.com occasionally and from Azure Standard every two weeks (they deliver in this area so I don't have to pay shipping charges).

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 03-19-2009, 03:25 AM

Friends of ours use Amazon Fresh in the Seattle area. They love it everything about it. My SIL and her husband have done grocery deliver in Ottawa (Canada) and they found that the produce was hit or miss... the person filling the order grabbed the first four apples they saw, not the four best apples. We've heard that even the produce with Amazon Fresh is perfect.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 AM

I used to use Home Runs back in the day, and they were excellent, but they closed down. I also used Home Runs years ago when they first started out, but we eat a LOT of fresh produce and the quality was truly awful. I haven't used them for years, so it may have improved. I do notice that many other people in my building still use them.

I guess I am very fussy, I like to choose my own produce and pick the best and most fresh.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 AM

If you want to try Peapod, here's a code for $10 off your first order: AFFL3

In the Kansas City area we have Door to Door Organics. This service delivers organic produce to your door. It's good quality and definitely a savings over Whole Foods. It's somewhat like a CSA in that you get whatever is in season, but you can customize your list (for instance say you never, ever want kale) and tell them what kind of substitutions are acceptable (give me more broccoli!) You get a message several days before your delivery and can make substitutions up to 48 hours before your delivery too. http://kc.doortodoororganics.com/
Old 03-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been having my groceries delivered on and off for about 5 years and it's awesome! I'm in LA and use Vons.com (Safeway) and I think a couple of the other major chains also do delivery. I have rarely paid the delivery fee, maybe a couple of times a year, since they always have deals to get free delivery. It's helped me a ton to stay on budget or even under, I rarely get impulse items, which has been better for our health, I don't have ot do multiple trips to get stuff I forgot and it saves me the stress of going out to shop with kids in tow.

Drawbacks are when things are out of stock, but that would happen if I went to the actual store. I also had some trouble last year when they switched stores on me to one that carried a LOT smaller selection, but they have sort of resolved that.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
Friends of ours use Amazon Fresh in the Seattle area. They love it everything about it. My SIL and her husband have done grocery deliver in Ottawa (Canada) and they found that the produce was hit or miss... the person filling the order grabbed the first four apples they saw, not the four best apples. We've heard that even the produce with Amazon Fresh is perfect.
With Peapod the produce has been great. Safeway has been more hit-or-miss. However, if you call customer service they will credit your account for the items. Problem is, for me, that I order things that I need - so I then have to go to the store to buy that or any out of stock items. Its not a perfect system.

Amazon fresh sound nice - maybe it will come to our large metropolitan area soon.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:40 PM

I have been ordering non-perishables from Amazon when they are on sale. I love the subscription plans with free shipping. I have been able to stock up on organic snacks for my son pretty inexpensively. I realize this doesn't work for all of your grocery shopping, but it might work for some of it. It is cheap, and the shipping is really quick. I generally get my things within a day or two.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 03-20-2009, 02:31 AM

I use Safeway's delivery service occasionally. I've been pretty happy with it. Usually I use it if I'm going to be too busy to shop when I would normally shop, if we're sick, or if I'm planning to buy a lot of heavy or bulky items.

I figure that I spend way more than the delivery fee in impulse purchases (hey, that's on sale, let's buy some), so I come out ahead in the end.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:46 AM

I've just started ordering from the United Natural Foods Buying Club. There is a catalog each month (pretty much the same things every month, only difference is new items or sale prices). I like the ordering a lot better now- the catalog is a pdf file in your UNFI account, you add the items to your "basket", and once the order is closed, you send a check for your total to the local coordinator. A couple weeks later, a truck comes to a designated location and drops off your order.

You do have to order by the case, but a lot of items are the same price or significantly cheaper than in the grocery or health food store. There is no fresh produce, but there are things like 50 pound bags of organic oatmeal, name brand organic refrigerated milk, natural body products, and pretty much any natural/organic item you can think of.

http://www.unitedbuyingclubs.com/RES.../FABC_Home.htm
Old 03-20-2009, 03:11 AM

I wish we had a store to order groceries from online here We used King Sooper's Home Shop when we lived in Denver and I LOVED it.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhymnia View Post
In the Seattle area, Amazon is trialing a new service - Amazon Fresh - which does sell perishables. It's wonderful, they deliver to my door overnight or during the day (unattended). I don't have to be home, it comes in totes with ice packs as needed to keep things fresh/frozen. Then they later collect the totes. They will take bags back for recycling too. I cannot say enough excellent things about this service.
Yep, we do this, too!

The only catch is that prices don't seem to be consistent. I find some things are way too expensive while others are oddly cheap. I suppose it all balances out in the end, and I'm glad to not have to go to two or three different grocery stores to get what I need.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

User Tag List