SO: If you spend less than $500 a month for food... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1.) How many people are eating?4

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area?medium, but low for food (high for taxes)

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it?nope

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? Yes, small garden and free stuff from my dad when we visit or they come (it's sort of random because they're 500 miles away.)

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? Yes Mostly pickles, jams, jellies, and frozen veggies.

6.) Do you shop with coupons?
Absolutely

7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends?
We get meat from friends, but we pay for all of it and sometimes help with the butchering just for fun (okay we are crazy)

8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work?
Yes. DS1 and I each packs a lunch every single day we have work or school.

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...)
No, but we try to eat seasonally, local, and avoid meat from CAFO's. We eat nearly all organic dairy. We like spendy stuff like seafood and cheap stuff like beans.

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"?
DH and I are pretty regular eaters for adults (neither big or small).
DS1 is seven and I think he must be in a growth spurt and seems to eat a lot. DS2 is not quite four and he is your protype "eat like bird" eater, but he waste the most regardless of how little I put on his plate

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? Not usually, but DH and I often cook "no left over meals" and deliberately don't make generous portions. My kids do ask how much bacon or sausage links they can have (usually just one or two piece apiece)

12.) When you post your $$$ spent on food, do you divide up any sides of meat or CSA's or co-ops you buy into monthly amounts? Or do you post a $$$ and then say "Oh and that does not inculde XYZ"?
I figure about $100 per month for bulk meat and I am including it in our total.

What does a typical week of eating look like for you? What did you eat yesterday?

We are big breakfast people and tend to have lighter lunches. DH and I each plan about 3 suppers per week and have lots of discussions about what needs to be used up/is in season/cheap. I buy most of the food (DH buys the seafood and a lot of the farmer's market stuff i.e things that doesn't involve the supermarket. We have about one meat heavy meal (grilling) per week and one or two totally veggie meal, the rest are pretty meat light (about 1/2 lbs for the four of us). We at lots of soups and homemade bread and pizza.
)
DH made pancakes and bacon for breakfast, we all had sandwiches and fruit for lunch DS1 and I ate at our schools and DH and DS2 at theirs as a sack lunch at the Children's Museum, a chicken, veggie, and brown rice stir fry for supper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1.) How many people are eating?
3 (2 adults and one 2.5 yr old)

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area?
High COL (Toronto)

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it?
NO

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others?
NO

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food?
NO

Very rarely. Maybe 2 coupons in 10 yrs. should do it more

NO

Yes. DH eats his lunch at work. Packed by me.

Yes. I'm low carb (no carbs for lunch or dinner). We eat no harmone meat raised by Mennonites. No pork/beef - just the chicken/fish/occasional goat or elk bought from the Mennonite store.

Big eaters
DD eats normal.

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's?
No rationing - absolutely.

12.) When you post your $$$ spent on food, do you divide up any sides of meat or CSA's or co-ops you buy into monthly amounts? Or do you post a $$$ and then say "Oh and that does not inculde XYZ"?

No CSA's
No Coops

We buy organic for stuff that should be organic (like milk, apples, pears, berries, etc) from a big chainstore (Superstore). Most of the veggies that need not be organic come from ethnic markets (Indian/Chinese). Meat from the mennonite store.

About 400 per month inclusive of Diapers/TP/etc. During December, it ran very high upto 625 because I was stocking up a lot of stuff and entertained a couple of times.

What does a typical week of eating look like for you? What did you eat yesterday?
We eat meat twice or thrice a week due to religious reasons. Well, we ate that way during our childhood. Even though we aren't very religious now, we still eat this way.

Breakfast - Homemade Wholewheat bread that I made (the baked bread or Indian style WW Flatbread) with fixings

Lunch - Two boiled eggs, nuts, apple for me. DH takes leftovers from dinner. DD usually eats what I eat for Breakfast or gets a Broccoli Quesadilla (her fav!). made from homemade wholewheat rotis. (Indian flatbread/tortilla)

Dinner - Lentil Stew with vegetables, Brown rice, More veggies, Homemade yogurt

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 PM

We just barely make the $500 cutoff.

1.) How many people are eating? 3 (2 adults and 1 hungry toddler though my husband is gone about half the time)
2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? Very high. We live in Hawaii.
3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? No.
4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? Only a few herbs.
5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? No.
6.) Do you shop with coupons? No. I mostly buy basic ingredients
7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends? No.
8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work? Hubby does.
9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) No.
10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? Moderate. DH is a 200 lb infantry Marine who bikes to work so some days it can be a lot, but we both watch our weight.

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? Sort of. DH and I are both very health/weight conscious so I cook a limited amount of food for dinner. We eat fish about 4 times a week and never buy red meat. We both would rather eat 4 oz of grilled fresh fish than a pound of ground beef in a casserole. There is always plenty of brown rice, veggies, fruit, and snacks on hand if the main course is not filling enough. DH will often make a few slices of whole wheat toast for himself to supplement dinner.

My grocery budget is about $500 and that includes all grocery shopping, farmer's market, paper products, diapers, alcohol, and DH's takeout lunches. The only thing it does not include is eating out as a family about twice a month and my occasional Penzey's spice order.

Breakfast - fruit and oatmeal almost every day, sometimes a smoothie. Pancakes on the weekends.

Lunches - leftovers, grilled chicken salad, bean burritos, peanut butter sandwiches.

Dinner last night: Salmon, brown jasmine rice, grilled zucchini.

Dinner tonight: A Shrimp with black bean and barley soup.

Snacks: lots of popcorn, yogurt, fruit, celery w/peanut butter, toast, hard boiled eggs, olives, cheese and crackers, etc.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 PM

I’ve only kept track for 3 months, but so far we’re averaging right at $400/mo. This includes all toiletries and household stuff too, though.

1.)How many people are eating? 3- one man, one pregnant woman, one preschooler

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? low

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? No, not since DD was a baby

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? Yes, we have a big garden, DH’s grandpa sometimes give us extras from theirs also, and we have a few fruit trees (apple and pear). We mostly grow weeds in the garden, but also tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, zucchini, lettuce- I hope to have a much more productive garden this year since I’m not working FT anymore.

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? Yes, but I don’t think I preserve enough at this point to save much $$. Last year I canned/ froze maybe 20 quarts of tomatoes (eaten by me alone), 7 pints salsa, 3 quarts applesauce, 3 quarts pears- not enough to really affect our food budget, but it tastes better than storebought for sure.

6.) Do you shop with coupons? Yes- I am getting to be really huge on the coupons and shopping sales lately. I probably spend 1-2 hours per week researching sales and planning my shopping, and it saves $50-$80 per week (this includes household items though, not just food).

7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends? No

8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work? DH and I normally pack our lunches, but DH’s boss buys him lunch 1-2 days per wk and my mom buys my lunch usually one day/wk. Also, we usually eat supper at the in-laws one night per wk. So not all of our meals are coming out of our own budget.

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) We barely eat any meat, but not because we’re vegetarian- more because we can’t afford it! : I buy soymilk since I’m lactose-intolerant, but other than that, no special food needs.

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? None of us are huge eaters. I often eat more than DH, even when I’m not pregnant or nursing. DD eats very little most days.

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? We ration “treats” like ice cream and granola bars (as in “no ice cream until you eat your entire apple”)- all the healthier foods are fair game.

We’re not in a CSA anymore, nor do we buy sides of meat. When we were in a CSA, I was too busy at work to make use of all of it, and DH started referring to it as “very expensive compost”.

Typical meals for us are stir-fry, burritos/enchiladas, veggie soup (homemade or from a can if we’re being lazy), fried or grilled chicken, fish, pasta, baked potatoes. Lunch is almost always leftovers. However, we haven’t been eating super healthy this week, since DH is working extra hours, and I’m great with child and just don’t feel like cooking…

Yesterday:

B- Me- yogurt, blueberries, bagel w/ PB, coffee w/ soy milk, juice
DD- leftover piece of chicken, milk
DH- cereal, coffee

L- Me- tomato soup w/ cheese and crackers
DD- more leftover chicken, apple, milk
DH- ? I think bologna sandwich, soda, granola bar

D- DH and I were both too lazy to cook, so all three of us split a frozen cheese pizza that I was intending to save for the postpartum phase. Leftovers from this pizza were lunch for DD and I today.

Snacks- DD- granola bar, graham crackers, peanuts
Me and DH- peanuts, and probably something sweet and chocolatey that I shouldn’t be eating…

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 PM

1.) How many people are eating? 3- DH (who eats like two people most days), Me, DD (who out eats me even though I'm nursing)

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? High

3.) Do you receive WIC to supplement it? Yes but we don't use half the things they give out. None of us like cereal and rarely do we use all the milk.

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? Nope

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? I have a chest freezer that I store already cooked meals in. If there is a really good sale on meat Ill stock up.

6.) Do you shop with coupons? No, most coupons aren't for things I buy. Once in a great while Ill find one for the brand of shampoo or toothpaste I use and will use it but its rarely.

7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends? No

8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work? DH has a tendency to eat at work a lot, even though he buys stuff for lunches. He has his own spending money that I don't keep track of, it comes out of that money.

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) No

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? DH eats a ton, DD eats a ton for a toddler, I eat probably average if a little less than average

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? Its only rationed by the fact that when the food for the meal is gone its gone. I don't make more unless there is a good reason to (ie, DH had a really grueling session of PT that day Ill make him more because hes just that hungry or DD is going through a growth spurt)

I include everything including household/personal care items/vitamins

Every week varies so for this week we are having/had:
Breakfasts:
French toast or pancakes, oranges, strawberries, bananas, eggs or sausage
Lunch
Salad, leftovers or tamales
Dinner:
One of the following
Pizza (we have one junk-foodish night a week, usually its still reasonably healthy but it satisfies my husband want of junk food)
Spaghetti and Broccoli
Tacos, re fried beans and salad
Fish Tostadas
Chili
Stew
Bean and rice burritos with salad on the side

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM

2 adults, 1 3yo, 1baby

Mid range

No, but FS at the moment

I have all my garden starts, we get eggs from MIL,
and trade work to grandparents and inlaws for beef.

All summer is canning and freezing, and double batches of
food go in the freezer.

trying to, not very good coupons around here compared to some on other
threads

Beef we get from inlaws/grandparents, rabbits if we want to butcher..
mostly experimental

All

No

Mostly grazers

No, if my son wants to eat we let him... he goes in spurts, we are happy
that he injests anything:

We will save up money to do that.. not out of food budget

Usually cereal, waffles, eggs or granola and yogurt for breakfast..
Rice and leftover meat from the dinner before for lunch..
Dinners are big enough to eat for lunch the next day.. Last night was spagetti, so we have been eating that today, and DH took some to work with him today.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:57 AM

Just 2, but we also include pet food in our montly food budgets, we have 3 cats.

low

no

We get lettuce from porch gardening and we get cucumbers from my Dad's garden.

no

no

We rarely eat red meat, but when we do, for part of the year we can get it from the cow my parents order from my Aunt's farm. But we eat red meat maybe once every other month, if that.

yes, I eat breakfast and lunch at work but have to supplement on meat days.

no

average I would say

no

no

Yesterday I ate Breakfast and lunch at work, and we had shrimp and couscous for dinner.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 03-26-2009, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I spend about $250 a month on food.

1.) How many people are eating? 4

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? no, although I qualify

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? no

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? If I buy meat on sale I freeze it

6.) Do you shop with coupons? no

7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends? no

8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work? no

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) I do LC myself, no special diet for anyone else

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? not big eaters

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's?I make a meal and typically it's just enough for everyone to have one helping. but no one asks for more

I pretty much cook from scratch and when I buy meat I hit the buy one get one free sales, like last night I got 10 lbs of pork and 3 lbs of steak for $20. I buy ground turkey which is considerably less in cost esp since when you cook it you don't lose half as fat cooking out since it's practically fat free. I've found that the organic produce at the natural food store is about the same as WM produce ($4 for 3 lb bag of organic apples, 50 cent bananas etc) I bake my own cookies and muffins etc for the kids to snack on. I make a lot of bean dishes which is really cheap and delicious too

12.) When you post your $$$ spent on food, do you divide up any sides of meat or CSA's or co-ops you buy into monthly amounts? Or do you post a $$$ and then say "Oh and that does not inculde XYZ"? the only thing that I don't include in the cost of food is coffee

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
1.) 3 people-1 hungry man, 1 pregnant woman, 1 toddler who could practically eat her weight in food

Sorry, I am ROFL at this description....

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM

I think I barely qualify; I think we are spending about $500 or just slightly less, right now. We pay a LOT less in the growing season, though. This year is a thin year, because we don't have a winter cold-frame garden like we usually do, because of home repairs that needed doing.

5; two adults, one of whom gets heavy physical exercise, a picky four year old, and two weaned toddlers

high; I live in central NJ

no

Yes; we have our own small home garden, plus a community garden that DH is involved in, plus a friends' garden where we contribute labor for produce. This year, we'll also be involved in a second community garden, at our church.

Yes. I'm not a big canner, but I do some. We do do a LOT of freezing, especially in Aug. through Oct. when there's too much food coming in for us to eat. We dry fruit and herbs.

Not really. I don't buy much stuff that they make coupons for. We don't eat a lot of packaged stuff. Maybe twice in a month I'll use a coupon, usually for crackers, or something like that.

No. We buy eggs for a dollar a dozen from a neighbor, but that's it.

DH eats lunch at work; DD1 eats lunch at preschool three days a week. But the lunches are packed at home.

Yes. I'm on the specific carbohydrate diet, for my ulcerative colitis, although I'm laying plans to get off the diet this summer.

DH eats a LOT of food. I eat moderately. DD1 barely eats. The toddlers are good eaters.

No. The only foods I restrict are juice and junk. Everybody is allowed to eat until they're satisfied.

I do have my yearly CSA bill, but I figure that in when I estimate how much I spend. The CSA works out to be about $13 a week. I do pay it all in one lump sum. The amount I estimate doesn't include cat food and non-food items like detergents or soap or toothpaste and stuff like that.

Well, how about today? I don't know what DH ate for breakfast; I was still sleeping. He had leftover rice and beans for lunch; I know because the bowl was missing from the fridge.

The kids and I ate boiled eggs, and strawberries I put up last summer. The kids also ate toast with butter (home-baked bread.) I had some plain yogurt with my strawberries.

For lunch we had stew that was leftover; the kids had some bread with it. It was beef stew with carrots, turnips, potatoes, and onions. This is not on my diet; I've been cheating, lately.

Dinner was sausage-and-peppers with some chicken, and the kids and DH had pasta.

We had raisins for a morning snack, except for DD1 who had an orange. The kids had cheese and crackers for an afternoon snack.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 AM

Only the 2 of us, we don't have kids yet. Do I count? We spend $200-250/month on food.

High COL I think. Toronto Canada.

No, doesn't exist here.

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others
?
We do garden, but it is a tiny townhouse postage stamp yard, so it isn't a lot.

I don't can or dry. I do freeze meat, bread, etc when I buy a lot on sale. We only have the freezer attached to our fridge right now, but thinking of getting a separate freezer, especially once we have more mouths to feed. Buying a lot when its on sale saves a ton of money.

I use a coupon here and there when I can get one, but they are not very common around here. Most of my savings comes from buying large quantities on sale. Like last week, I bought 8(!) 520g blocks of cheese because it was on sale. Cheese goes on sale pretty often at almost half price, so by doing this I never pay full price for cheese.

No

Yes, but I pack my lunch, I don't buy it. DH usually skips lunch and eats a huge dinner, but once in awhile he buys some soup from the cafeteria for $2.

I'm allergic to fish and lactose intolerant. DH has no restrictions.

Um, not sure. Medium to large eaters?

No.

It is an average of the food costs over all of the months since we moved in. I don't buy any CSA, co-op, whole meat, but if I did, that would be included. My food cost varies quite a bit from month to month because I'll spend $35 on cheese in one shot, then no cheese for two months, for example.

It does include all food including any restaurants, but it does not include things like toothpaste, toilet paper, etc.

[B]What does a typical week of eating look like for you? What did you eat yesterday?[/B]

Breakfast is oatmeal or toast and yogourt or frozen waffles or cold cereal with soy drink.

Lunch is apple and peanut butter, or a sandwich, or leftovers, or eggs.

Dinner is a spicy rice mixture with meat veggies and beans cut up and mixed in (or something similar with pasta or potatoes as a base instead of rice), or homemade burritos, or homemade pizza, or homemade soup, or a chicken and roasted veggies, etc

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 AM

2 adults and 1 toddler (plus my father at least twice a week for dinner)...we spend no more than $500/month (this includes toddler formula [2 cans/month], whole bean coffee [1 lb/week], DH's import beer [1 case/month], dog food [for 2 medium sized dogs], and tp/paper towels/cleaning supplies/personal care products

Middle COL area, I think

No

No

No

No

No

DH usually eats a lunch out, each week (w/ company's $)

No

BIG eaters

No

No

*Breakfast*

Usually cereal or toast w/ fruit or juice

*Lunch*

Often a sandwich w/ chips/crackers and fruit/veggies, egss or leftovers.

*Dinner*

Monday-Macaroni & cheese w/ green salad
Tuesday-Baked fish, roasted potatoes & veggies w/ green salad
Wednesday-Huevos Rancheros
Thursday-Beef & bean burritos w/ rice & tomatoes
Friday-Paninis w/ chicken noodle soup
Saturday-Shrimp, baked potatoes and green salad (planned)
Sunday-Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches w/ baked French fries (planned)

*Yesterday*

Breakfast-Cereal & juice
Lunch-Turkey sandwich
Dinner-Beef & bean burritos w/ rice & tomatoes

Otherwise, we tend to avoid eating any take-out or restaurant food. Plus, I don't buy many convenience foods.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 03-28-2009, 12:54 PM

1.) How many people are eating? 2, and have a $40 a week or $160 a month food budget. I try to aim under this, but I refuse to give up my coffee and my husband likes to drink too much OJ and cranberry juice.

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? low-mid

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? no

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? we moved into a house this winter, and will be gardening, but haven't had any yield yet

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? I freeze portions not used

6.) Do you shop with coupons? only for toothpaste, toothbrushes, stuff like that.

7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends? no

8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work? i sometimes eat breakfast at my field placement. (maybe once or twice a month)

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) I'm a type one diabetic, so have to monitor that. We don't eat meat at home. We will sometimes get meat out.

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? We eat a fair bit.

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? Not strictly. I will sometimes make something with the intention of it lasting more than one meal, but if it doesn't, no biggie. If I make pasta, I only make a serving size for myself due to the diabetes thing, so it indirectly effects our spending, but....yeah.

12.) When you post your $$$ spent on food, do you divide up any sides of meat or CSA's or co-ops you buy into monthly amounts? Or do you post a $$$ and then say "Oh and that does not inculde XYZ"? No. Our grocery budget includes everything, including food out.

Yesterday wasn't typical. A typical week looks like:

Breakfast: coffee, cereal, homemade soy sausage and pancakes on weekends. Sometimes I'll make muffins instead of us having cereal.

Lunches: Peanut butter and jelly/egg salad/homemade hummus and veggie sandwiches on homemade bread. Sometimes leftovers from dinner instead Fruit, pretzels, yogurt, and veggie sticks. Either iced tea or water in a nalgene.

Dinner: At least five nights of pasta with veggies, veggie omelets, pinto beans and corn bread, bean soup or chili, eggplant curry, dal curry, tofu pad thai, or veggie lasgana.
Snacks include pretzels, crackers and peanut butter, fruit, homemade cookies, yogurt/smoothies.
We're both in school, and have irregular schedules so I try to make a lot that is quick or that can be done in a crock pot. And I do keep some unhealthy, but really quick things on hand like ramen, frozen pizzas, frozen burritos, or mac and cheese. I try really hard not to bust these out more than once a week. Yesterday was atypical: I had milk for breakfast, frozen pizza for lunch, and ramen for lunch. OI! Maybe it is that bad once in a blue moon.

We have lunch or dinner (lots of 1/2 price late night places near campus or the deli where we can split a 6 dollar hoagie and be full) out together about once a week. This is included in our food budget.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We eat for about $100/week if we don't cheat and get take-out or something and we have to plan and shop ahead of time.

5- DH, me, 6yo DD, 4yo DS, 2yo DD (almost all ready to turn the next year older though)

mid to low. Groceries are pretty average here compared to other states we have lived in, but we shop almost 100% at Aldi, so that makes a HUGE difference in our grocery budget and will make our groceries seem very cheap compared to other areas.

No

No

No
(I freeze leftovers sometimes or buy large quantities of sale items and freeze those)

No- almost never

No

Yes, but those are included in this budget as we eat leftovers or pack lunches. Oh, my oldest gets reduced price lunch and breakfast at school and so that is $3.50/week

Not really.

Big eaters

No.
Only special snack foods are rationed, but then the "hungry" person can choose to have vegetables or fruits until they are stuffed.

I figure the amount each meal cost to make, so that includes any special prices we got by buying in bulk.

I can actually give you the entire meal plan for this next week:
1)salmon, quinoa, salad
2) ww spagetti with ground turkey, salad
3) ww pizza w/ mushrooms and canadian bacon, salad
4) whole chicken, sweet potatoes, salad
5) chicken salad
6) BBQ chicken wraps and steamed broccoli (leftover chicken)
7) Pork loin, asparagus, salad, brown rice

Lunches:
leftovers, pork fried rice (left over pork loin, brown rice), chicken salad wraps, BBQ chicken sandwiches, PB&J's, salads

Breakfasts:
yogurt, cereal, eggs, coffee

extras:
home brewed lattes
coffee
1 bag of chips
6lbs of apples
1lb of carrots
1 celery
24 cheese sticks
1 carton ice cream
1 box of microwave popcorn
2 gallons milk
1 bottle V-8
12 pack of diet cola every 2 weeks
2 loaves homemade bread or ww, all natural bread on sale (whichever is cheaper)

So, the meals and extras cost us about $90-$100/week. This is eating in a manner we feel really well fed as you can see the list of extra stuff and we could cut most of that out. Almost none of it is organic and like I said, most of it comes from Aldi.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1.) How many people are eating? 2 adults and 1 toddler

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? high COL

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? no

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? I make food then freeze it

6.) Do you shop with coupons? yes

7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends? no I buy at the store

8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work? yes- I make bigger portions for extras

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) not really but I don't really like meat but my husband loves it. We eat mostly organic

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? My husband eats a TON and eats about 7 meals a day (he is into working out), I eat a decent amount and my toddler can certainly eat if he likes the food- sometimes he eats more than DH!

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? no

12.) When you post your $$$ spent on food, do you divide up any sides of meat or CSA's or co-ops you buy into monthly amounts? Or do you post a $$$ and then say "Oh and that does not inculde XYZ"? no it includes it all

Yesterday I got up with DS and he had milk and bananas with some cereal pieces. when DH got up, we all have rye bread and cheesy, bacon eggs.
Lunch DH had 2 sandwiches (lunchmeat) and a side of pasta- ds and I ate pasta (spaghetti with meat sauce). When DS got up from his nap, he had a jelly sandwich. I ate some cookies. Dinner I cooked a whole chicken and made a mix of veggies (carrots, celery and potato). For DS's dinner before bed meal, he always get's oatmeal mixed with cinnamon and applesauce and a cup of milk. After he goes down, DH and I might make a grilled cheese or have leftovers.. I always make some sort of homemade dessert. Yesterday's meal really is a good idea of how we eat.
The whole chicken i made last night still has enough meat to make a shredded chicken casserole, stir fry or gravy to put over bread or something. I then boil the bones and make broth and will make a chicken vegetable soup which will feed us for lunch for about 3 days.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:38 PM

four

mid

no

a bit of gardening in the spring and fall.
Mostly we harvest spinach, lettuce, collard greens, and tomatoes.
I'm going to try broccoli this fall.

freeze

no

no

no

two members of our family are gluten free
we are all vegetarian

medium

no

does not include shampoo/cleaning supplies, etc.

Our typical day:
weekdays breakfast is oatmeal for dh, cinnamon toast for dd2, and Instant Breakfast (she insists on it) for dd1. I usually skip breakfast. Lunch is leftovers for dh and I, a sandwich for dd2, and tostadas for dd1's school lunch. Dinner can be a variety of things but they are almost always cooked from scratch and usually a bean or tofu dish with mixed veggies. Served with rice or corn tortillas or potatoes.

Today being a weekend was a bit off routine. Dh had his oatmeal for breakfast. The rest of us had a smoothie. For lunch I made a dish starting with fried potatoes and onions, added greens from our garden plus some leftover broccoli from a past meal, and then I poured scrambled eggs over all of it and let it cook. I used seasoned salt to flavor it. For dinner I cooked two packages of trader joes GF mac and cheese. I then cooked in a skillet an onion, cubes of tofu, and a can of diced tomatoes until the juice was cooked away. I seasoned with Italian seasoning. Dh and I made muffins together for the week for his snack at work which were put in the freezer. Oh, and today for snack we had ants on a log (celery, PB, raisins).

Here's our pantry list that I use when I go shopping.

Dry/canned goods:
rice
dry beans: red, kidney, black, blackeye peas, yellow lentils
peanut butter
bread
popcorn
raisins
GF oatmeal
rice flour
potato starch
tapioca starch
canola oil
cooking spray
stewed tomatoes
corn
refried beans
tostada shells
cheese crackers
Trader Joes GF mac and cheese
blackberry preserves
honey
sugar
stevia/Splenda
coffee
tea bags
instant pudding mix
chocolate chips
Kool-Aid mix

Fresh/frozen Food:
spinach
blueberries
broccoli
cauliflower
baby carrots
onions
potatoes
string cheese
shredded cheese
milk
tofu
bananas
apples
ketchup
GF soy sauce
Miracle Whip
garlic
bell peppers
corn tortillas
eggs

Spices and seasonings:
vegetable bullion or concentrated broth
seasoned salt
Cajun seasoning
cinnamon
nutmeg
paprika
cumin seeds
poppy seeds
curry powder
salt
pepper

Cleaning:
dishwasher soap
dish soap
floor cleaner
soft scrub
scrubber pads/ sponges

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 03-28-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure?

Yes, for myself as a breastfeeding mom, my 2 year old and my 3 year old.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No, except one of my boys is allergic to cow's milk. We get goat milk for him.

I have 3 ravenous boys, a picky daughter and a husband who is a big eater. I'm somewhere in the middle.

No.

No.

We usually have cereal, waffles or oatmeal for breakfast, sandwiches or leftovers for lunch, and then we have a theme for 5 nights of dinner, like Mexican, pasta, stir fry, cassarole, soup, and the other 2 nights we'll make something easy like meatloaf or hamburgers or order 3 $5 pizzas from Dominos.

Yesterday we had waffles for breakfast, apples with peanut butter for a snack, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch, cheese and crackers for a snack, and for dinner I sauted some chicken breast in butter, herbs and parmesan cheese and tossed it with some angelhair pasta and steamed peas. I made biscuits from scratch which is super easy if you know how.

I do shop at Wal-Mart for my groceries, and I spend about $500 a month.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 PM

1.) How many people are eating? Two adults, one toddler, and an infant who's also breastfed

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? Mid, but we shop almost exclusively at Aldi. If we buy it at the "other" supermarket we probably have a coupon.

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? No, we don't qualify

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? Yes - we garden and also participate in a work-share farm. I also buy bushels of produce at the farm market (seconds) throughout the summer for cheap and put it up for the rest of the year.

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? Yes. We have a chest freezer, and I also can and dry fruit in the summer

6.) Do you shop with coupons? Yes. Coupons and CVS

My father gives us a deer every year

No

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) We try to eat local and organic

We're pretty big eaters

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? It depends on the food. We each get one special snack each grocery store trip, and when it's gone, it's gone. I generally make one serving of meat per person, and then we fill in with veggies and grains

The budget includes everything, including toiletries, paper goods, diapers, etc. I get a lot of the personal hygiene stuff at CVS for 50% off or more between ECB's and coupons, though.

We spend about $400 per month - more in the summer when we buy fresh produce and put it up for the year, less in the winter when we're living out of the freezer and canned produce - but it averages out to around $400

Today we had

Granola bars, yogurt, and fruit for breakfast

Pizza with pepporoni, mushrooms, olives, and cheese for lunch

Leek, broccoli, and spinach quiche with a big tossed salad for dinner

Popcorn and fruit for snacks

Sandi - Work at home writer mama to Zoe the monkey girl 9/06 and Luna the zen baby 8/08
Old 03-29-2009, 12:36 AM

$400 grocery budget for the month here, including things like toilet paper and whatever else we need to pick up at the grocery store. We just got a costco membership and it looks like we can cut down our spending by quite a bit, but I'm not sure how exactly that will affect things yet.

Me, my husband, my two year old. My eight month old is just getting started on solids and doesn't eat much, but that just means I eat more :P

Low to mid.

Yes.

No, but we will be this summer.

No.

Hardly ever, there's no place around here that makes it worthwhile.

No, but we may get some chickens this summer and will try for turkey/deer during hunting season.

My husband eats 4 meals a week at work.

Nope, although we rarely do meat.

Varies wildly from week to week for me and the kids, my partner is a very big muscular guy and eats a ton.

Nope.

N/A

What we typically eat:

Breakfasts: cereal w/milk, egg & cheese omellete with frozen peas, fruit, fried potatoes

Lunches: salads, leftovers from breakfast that morning, leftovers from dinner last night, snacks, peanut butter sandwiches

Dinners: -endless kinds of soup (bean, vegetable, carrot, sweet potato, cream of mushroom, potato & leek) w/fresh bread
-Various kinds of beans & grains mixed together and spiced/sauced (lentils & barley with olive oil and onions, chickpea curry, etc.)
-Frozen veggies.
-homemade pizza
-pasta (we've started borrowing our neightbor's pasta maker and doing it from scratch)

Snacks: airpopped popcorn, crackers w/ melted cheese, fruit

Things we do that really save $- buy little to no packaged food, buy staples (flour, potatoes, etc.) in bulk whenever possible, bake our own bread, buy frozen instead of fresh vegetables, make our own yogurt

Things we indulge in when we can- instant coffee, canned beans for when we don't want to take a million years to prepare dinner, nuts, fresh vegetables, chocolate, tortilla chips
Old 03-29-2009, 01:21 AM

I am pretty sure we spend less than $500/ month on grocery's on average but am too lazy to do the math...

4 (a adults & 2 preschoolers) + daycare kids for about 8 meals per week

high

No

Small garden in tiny yard tended by inexperienced gardeners

No. (We do cook in bulk and freeze for later, and make our own veggie & chicken stock)

No. I just end up getting stuff I would not buy otherwise.

No.

My husband usually eats breakfast, snack & lunch at work. It is subsidized, so he only pays about $100 a month for healthy, balanced meals, which includes taking us out to dinner onsite about once a month.
The kids have snack at school 3 days a week.

No, but we do try to limit our meat intake and avoid (with mixed success) HFCS and partially hydrogenated oils.

Big eaters

No.

No CSA and no exact total. Gut assumption taking into account amount generally spent at box stores, farmers market, etc. but the money my hubby spends on food from work might put us over...

What does a typical week of eating look like for you? Each day week varies.

breakfast foods include: pancakes, bread w/ cream cheese and jam, fresh fruit, coffee, milk, oatmeal (made on stove) w/ nuts tossed in, breakfast burritos, cereal, baked goods, veggie or real sausage

lunch foods include: leftovers, nut butter & jam sandwiches, homemade hummus, burritos, carrots, fruit, mac & cheese, tofu, beans, eggs, rice, fresh veggies

dinner foods include: soups, homemade bread, lasagna, chicken, beef (not often) tofu, beans, burritos, leftovers, mac & cheese, pasta, hummus, fresh or frozen veggies, salad, rice

snack foods include: crackers, cheese sticks, fruit, popcorn, carrots, fresh veggies or fruit, ice cream, cookies, snack mix (cereal, dried fruit & nuts, chocolate chips, etc.), tea, water w/ a splash of juice, leftovers

What did you eat yesterday?
b: bread w/ jam & cream cheese, coffee/ milk, sliced fruit
s: I ate the kids leftovers from breakfast w/ water w/ splash of grapefruit juice
l: quesadillas, fruit, coffee/ milk, cookies for the kids
s: lentil & cheese burritos, water
d: mac & cheese, tofu, broccoli slaw, water w/ a splash of gatorade
s: donuts (at themed book club) & beer

We almost never waste food... it is very rare for me to throw anything out because we plan most meals based on what we have, cook in bulk, freeze leftovers. It helps that we live a 5 minute walk from the store and have limited storage space so are not tempted to overbuy.

We are probably too dairy heavy for our health & pocketbook and too starch heavy for our health too...

We have saved a lot of money by changing our proteins... main sources are eggs, beans (canned), lentils (dry), nuts (buy at Costco or Trader Joes), ground beef (local happy cows half the time, cheaper the other half), chicken (usually a whole one) and tofu.

Other savings are in reducing organics and local food. Both are still part of our diet, and will be a bigger chunk again in the future.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
Old 03-29-2009, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1.) How many people are eating? Between 6-9 people average of 7. My 2nd child lives part time away from home right now but he always has his friend with him when he is here. We also been having my nephew here a lot. So currently we have 6 full time people, dh, me 18, 11, 9 and 2 year old living here with the other 3 teenagers cycling in about 4 days a week.

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? high

3.) Do you receive WIC to supplement it?

We receive from WIC 4 1/2 gallons of milk, 3 cans of juice, 2 pounds of cheese, 2 dozens eggs, 36 ounces of cereal and 16 ounces of peanut butter a month. It amounts to about $50 in food bought at shelf price not on sale.

not really but we do freeze our meat.

6.) Do you shop with coupons?yes for some items but we mostly shop from scratch.

7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends? We bought a cow. but we figure that cost into our food budget though.

8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work? Nope

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) We are gluten free and 9 year old has a lot of restrictions also. Oh ya my 18 year old is a vegitarain. He has been one for years.

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? it depends on the day of the week and position of the moon but leans on the big side.

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? heck no. I truly believe it leads to food issues.

12.) When you post your $$$ spent on food, do you divide up any sides of meat or CSA's or co-ops you buy into monthly amounts? Or do you post a $$$ and then say "Oh and that does not inculde XYZ"? Our food budget includes everything except the gas and car maintenance etc. it cost to go obtain said food.

Weekends are way different for us then week day. So yesterday we did a lot of eating out which is figured into our food budget. We had krispy kremes for breakfast (something we have not done in years) and for lunner (lunch/dinner) the kids had $5 cheese pizza from Little Caesars and dh and I had teriyaki. But during the week our life looks like this:

Breakfast: pancakes, waffles or pancakes or occasional eggs. Usually have some kind of yogurt topping and fruit with this.
Snack: Fruit or dried cereal with raisins in it.
Lunch: Sandwiches or soup or left overs. Sandwiches filling vary depending on what I got on sale. Also have some kind of veggie like carrots or broccoli.
Dinner: depending on the day of the week, either beef, chicken or vegetarian. We eat more beef since we had a cow butchered but I did get boneless chicken breast a few months ago for 80 cents a pound. Our favorite is some kind of beef with roasted veggies.
Snack after dinner is usually popcorn.

We have gotten our food budget down to about $325 a month. Our food budget includes more then food though, health care, cleaning, paper products, etc.

We do drink a lot of coffee. I spend maybe $15.00 a month on coffee products like fresh roasted beans and the syrups (we have an espresso maker too). One thing we never buy is juice. My kids are not juice drinkers at all. They prefer water.

Heidi
Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM

1.) How many people are eating? 4, 3 adults and one toddler
3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? No
4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? WE ARE THIS YEAR :
5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? we did a small amount last year and plan to increase for this year6.) Do you shop with coupons?
9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) we are dairy/gluten free and moving to more TF
10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? 2 adults normal, 1 like bird, and suprisingly the toddler is a big eater
11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? no rationing
We spent under 400 last month. We have been buying a lot of organic in bulk and we just split a 1/2 of beef (organic grass fed) with friends for $650. It should last us for a year. We have discounted groceries in our area (amelias, BB's, etc) that we buy from. With out the discounted grocers we would not eat as much convience foods. (we are moving away from these anyway). We are starting a garden for this year but have always had ready access to cheap produce from roadside stands, markets, etc. Our free range eggs come from a local farmer for 1.25 a dozen :

[B]What does a typical week of eating look like for you? [B] We have been making a lot of breakfast casseroles (soaked millet, coconut, nuts, sweetened with maple syrup, Almond milk and 3 eggs) So it might cost $.30 a serving. Baken chicken over rice is a favorite, Chicken Tostadas (fried corn tortilla, refried beans, shredded chicken, Cheese/sourcream (if you can have it) and salsa. I think that it is less than .50 a serving. I have most of those things in the house so it is a real quick throw together meal with left over chicken

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 03-30-2009, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
2 adults & 1 5yo

Highest in the country--NJ

The baby is an adoptive placement through foster care and we DO get WIC for her formula--but if she were our bio, we would bf... so it's a wash. And it should end in May.

I coordinate a drop-off point for an organic produce coop. So I do get a batch of organic fruits and veggies every other week at a reduced rate. It probably accounts for 1/3 of the veggies and fruits we eat. Sometimes half--but not usually. This offsets the cost of our special diet requirements (see your question below). I had been gardening, but we got chickens 2 years ago and haven't been able to keep them from "burning" my garden soil. Plus, we've been planning to sell the house and didn't plant. So now we don't garden and we don't get any other produce that's free or reduced.

YES!

Almost never. Our dietary restrictions force us to stuff that doesn't get sold with coupons and really, the stuff we CAN buy we generally buy store-brand because it's a lot cheaper than with coupons. I haven't clipped a coupon in more than 15 years. But I DO keep a price book.

No. And we can't afford organic meat. We have a $1.99/lb maximum for boneless meat (I don't buy meat with bones). Believe it or not, I can get a wider range of meat on that budget than most people imagine by waiting out sales.... London Broil, bottom/chuck/eye round, sausage, boneless pork chops, boneless-skinless chicken breasts and thighs, hamburger meat, pork ribs... I think that might be it. RARELY lamb chops. But it's enough variety for us.

No. None of us does. And my husband now works from home full-time.

Yes, we are dairy, gluten, soy and corn-free.

We are pretty big eaters but trying to cut back. There's no scaling back the 5yo (who is VORACIOUS) but dh and I are scaling back in the interest of losing weight.

For the 5yo--never. For myself, absolutely. I wait 20 minutes and if I'm still hungry, I eat something that wasn't for dinner (like a piece of fruit since I don't eat ENOUGH fruit). Dh is working on it.

I've been eating this way long enough to be able to average my monthly spending--so it accounts for the ups and downs. But I include everything except animal food.

And there's a link to our menu in my sig line. Granted, we got a newborn adoptive placement in November and got (unknowingly) pregnant in December (and found out early last month) while battling CMV (which causes massive fatigue) so we haven't been the best eaters. But it helps people trying to avoid food allergens and coincidently--will help you see what we actually eat.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 PM

1.) How many people are eating? 1 adult, 1 2-year-old, and one nursing mama
2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? Mid-ish. We're rural so we don't really go by the same yardstick, kwim?

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? No. No WIC, no food stamps.

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? Not at the moment. All we get is eggs from our hens.

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? YES. We buy in-season fruit in bulk and can it, same with veggies, and we make canned bone broth, soups, etc.

6.) Do you shop with coupons? No.
7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends? Just eggs at the moment.

8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work? Yes. DH takes leftovers 3-4 times a week for lunch and I take snacks to school twice a week.

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) No.

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? Big eaters, and OMG, does nursing make a HUGE difference in appetite.

11.) Do you "ration" food or portions? Not allows 2nd's and third's? Nope, it's as much as they want to eat.

We spend less than $250/mo.
$$$ is for everything. Including toilertries (although we don't use much... natural body care, etc.), paper products (again, don't use much), etc. We probably spend 90% of the budget in food and 10% on other.

Yesterday:
Breakfast - eggs and bacon, homemade english muffins, banana
Lunch - Sandwiches with canned carrots
Dinner - Chili with cornbread and cheesy potatoes.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM

I spend $260/mo on groceries (well, $130 every 2 weeks, actually).

3 people. Me, DP and 5 yo DD. I'm prego, btw.

I live in Eugene, OR...i'm guessing it's mid COL? It's a lot more expensive than the tiny town i moved from...but definitely not as expensive as, say, the bay area

I JUST got WIC starting last month. I wouldn't say WIC supplements anything, really. I was sticking to my budget just fine pre-WIC, i just figured it could help me save a few extra bucks, so why not? I can still get everything i need w/o WIC for the $260/mo. I'm a strict vegetarian. I only eat eggs and honey (animal product-wise). DD is a vegetarian who eats cheese/eggs. DP is a omni, but eats whatever i serve him, lol!

*WIC will help more come sept. when they allow SOYMILK (YAY!!!) instead of dairy. I don't do dairy at all...

Nope. I wish! I miss my small town where i could pick pears, berries, small plums, apples for free...

Nope.
I'd love to start though. I have no freezer space though. I'll occasionally freeze a couple bell peppers (chopped) or something if they are about to go back (so i don't waste them)...but i don't think that's what you mean.

Heck no.
Coupons are wastes, IMO.
I don't use products that require coupons...i mostly cook from scratch, which is cheaper than buying branded products with coupons.

DD and I are vegetarians. DP only eats meat 4-5 days a week on his sandwiches (lunch).

I pack DP his lunch every day. Saves tons of money. DD starts school this fall. I'm sure we'd get subsidized lunches, but i doubt they cater to vegetarians...so i'm planning on packing her lunch too.

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...).
Yep. As mentioned above...we pretty much eat vegan around here. DD usually eats some kind of cheesy thing at lunch. And DP eats meat on his work days (lunches), but dinners are vegan (unless i'm making pizzas, i'll put cheese on theirs).

DD varies...as she's a picky kid...but she claims she's hungry non-stop. DP definitely enjoys big portions...and i kinda do too! Haha...we eat around here!

Nope. If we're hungry, we eat more. If we are full...but the food was really good...heck, sometimes we eat more then too LOL.

I only spend $260/mo for ALL my food. We eat out sometimes (rarely now, since the new budget) but if we choose to eat out, it comes out of our "Entertainment" budget, which is only $50/mo. Considering we like to go to small non-chain, healthy places to eat...that doesn't buy many meals out.

13) What does a typical week of eating look like for you? What did you eat yesterday?
Yesterday was: scrambled eggs, homemade pumpkin muffins, roasted herb potatoes with tea and/or orange juice for breakfast.

Lunch was different for everyone. I ate leftover red bean/sweet potato curry with basmati rice, DP had a turkey sammich, yogurt, 4 fig newton style cookies, banana. DD had homemade macaroni and cheese and green beans.

For Dinner i made chickpea cutlets and mashed potatoes and gravy with roasted asparagus.

Snacks were fruit, trail mix, carrot cake (yes...all THREE...i'm prego! LOL!)

A typical week varies. I'm trying to make more bean based meals as they are cheap and a good source of protein...but this doesn't mean plain ol' rice and beans. I decided to alternate more "meaty" proteins (seitan - which i make myself from gluten flour, tofu, tempeh) with beans.

The day before yesterday we had the Red Bean sweet potato curry with basmati rice and homemade cumin-scented flatbreads.

Yesterday i mentioned above...

Today is going to be Cheesy bean and cheese enchilladas, salad and corn (I make a yummy vegan cheese sauce).

Tomorrow will probably be either (vegan) seitan fettucini with salad or pot pie.

My secret is i make everything. Well, almost. We don't buy pizza out. I make my own crust...no rising necessary. It only takes about 30 minutes from start to FINISH (as in - you are eating). I cook my own beans. I make seitan, which is a very high protein (32-ish grams per serving) nearly no fat, no carb vegan protein source.

I have a lot of cookbooks.

I make ethnic foods...think curries, lol. DD doesn't eat them, but on those nights i'll just feed her something easy like peanut butter sammiches or pasta.

I throw in a few new fancier meals every month. Something like "Eggplant potato moussaka with pine nut cream"...you know, something with more expensive, less used ingredients.

I don't waste food.

I don't have boring meal plans. Suuuuure...we eat pizza about once a week (but we LOVE it) and i put tons of veggies on it, etc. We do spaghetti sometimes...the key is variety. Cheap doesn't have to equal boring.

I also love www.vegweb.com.

Great recipes (well, not all - but a lot of them) and free

Sorry this is so long and unorganized. HTH!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:22 PM

1.) How many people are eating? 5 (2 adults, 3 children one who eats very little)

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? Mid

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? No

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? Garden, only in summer

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? freeze some items if they are on sale

6.) Do you shop with coupons? No

8.) Do you eat some of your meals at school or work? 1 child eats lunch at school

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) No

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? Big eaters

my month cost includes all groceries, cleaning, etc..

Last night for dinner we ate chicken broccoli fusilli(dried tomatoes, garlic, chicken, pasta and fresh tomatoes)

Breakfast: we had bisquits with ham I made and froze ahead of time. Fruit and milk.

We eat really well. I make almost everything from scratch though. Typically dont buy convenience foods. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits to snack on.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 PM

1.) How many people are eating? 2 adults, 1 child.

mid

no

not now.

no

no

no

only the ones packed from home

dh is gluten free so most of our food is.

hmmmm... average

no

our money includes all food, cleaning, household items, diapers, etc...

I usually cook every other day with enough leftovers for dh and me the next day, he takes his to work.

Breakfast is usually oatmeal or yogurt/granola.

Lunch is left overs from night before for dh and same for me usually. Dd doesn't eat just a whole lot.
Snacks are fruit, cheese, granola, nuts, etc.
I made gluten free spaghetti with turkey meatballs and spinach. I make a lot of 'one pot meals' like a veggie/turkey stir fry to put on corn tortillas or soup or rice dishes.

We spend about 400 dollars a month on grocery and that is actually the most we've ever spent in our marriage thus far. There are actually some areas we could cut back in to save money. I'll mention though that we don't eat all organic and we do buy some frozen veggies so not everything is fresh.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Old 04-07-2009, 12:18 PM

1.) How many people are eating? 3- 2 adults and one toddler

2.) Are you in a low/mid/high COL area? fairly low

3.) Do you recieve WIC to supplement it? yes- and it is worth probably about $50/ month for what we get

4.) Do you garden or get free produce from others? yes

5.) Do you can/dry/freeze/preserve food? not usually

6.) Do you shop with coupons? occassionally

7.) Do you have your own meat animals/hunt or get some from family or friends? sometimes

9.) Are you on a special "diet" (Veg, allergies, lowcarb, TF, etc...) no

10.) Are your family members big eaters or "eat like birds"? somewhere in the middle

Try to be realistic and average it out for each month. However we do also eat out several times a month- and with that added in, it gets closer to $300-$350/month total food cost

We eat a lot of cereal- casseroles- packed lunches are usually sandwiches and a yogurt cup, carrots- my husband is one of those amazing cooks that can look in the refrigerator and invent something yummy to eat We have gotten a lot better about using up leftovers- that is a HUGE help in keeping food costs low!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

2 adults and two boys - ages 5 & 7. To be clear, the 7 year old eats more than I do. Can average 4 eggs or 12 pancakes at breakfast...

We're on 5 acres on Vancouver Island, BC. So yes, high cost of living first compared to the US, and second b/c we're on an island so everything has transport cost tacked on.

no

We glean fruit from area trees that are not harvested in the summer and preserve it. Starting this year we'll be farming about 1 acre veggie and grains. The past few years we've in in Vancouver with a small veggie garden providing summer and fall greens, raspberries and asian pears.

As of our move 6 months ago we now also have chickens - so our organic eggs now cost us appx $3 including feed/housing/purchase cost instead of $5.99 We get 5 eggs per day.

YES! After reading Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - an absolute must read y'all - we began in earnest. We can and freeze loads of fruit in season, along with tomatoes. This year we'll be starting with fermenting as well - sauerkraut, beans... as well as drying.

no, most of what we purchase does not use coupons.

We are about to start buying local pasture raised organic beef from farmer friends. We will be getting some meat chickens as well.

Always. But dh is a stay at home dad, and i work from home so it's easy! boy's school does not have a cafeteria, but 2x a week parents take turns making soup for the kids lunch.

Ovo-Lacto Veg with seafood (wild salmon)

BIG eaters.

Never!

12.) When you post your $$$ spent on food, do you divide up any sides of meat or CSA's or co-ops you buy into monthly amounts?
We keep track and look at a monthly average over a year. Summer is higher b/c we're buying in bulk and preserving.

The biggest thing for us is eating in season and not buying processed foods. making our own butter, buying local raw milk gouda cheese, soon will be making goat cheese i hope... Seldom do we have chips, we make our own crackers...
Old 04-07-2009, 02:36 PM

It really drives it home that we live in an expensive area (hudson valley, ny) when I read these posts.

- 22 weeks of a CSA is going to cost is 900 dollars.
- A dozen free range eggs is usually 5.00 or 5.50, though if I drive a half hour, there's a farmstand that charges 3.00. I'll keep looking for cheaper. Also, I raised chickens and the feed around here is so expensive that it costs nearly 3.00 per dozen to raise your own organic, free range eggs.

I'll go work out the answers myself and see what I come up with. But I'm feeling very jealous!

User Tag List