~April No-Spend Challenge~ We're tracking our spending and buying only the necessities. Come Join us! Newcomers Welcome! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 424 Old 03-29-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a support thread to help you ~not spend your money~.

Everyone is welcome to join and you can start tracking your spending at any time. It doesn't have to be April 1st.

The plan is simple (although tough to execute):

1. Vow not to spend any money on unnecessary purchases.

2. Come on here everyday and record your spending.

We all record our spending in different ways. There are no rules. You record and update however you would like -- pick a way that will help you spend the least amount of money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please write an introductory message when you decide to join our thread. We would like to know:

a. Who you are

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and

c. How you plan to get there

Good luck MDCers!! Keep that money in your wallet.

#2 of 424 Old 03-29-2009, 09:16 PM

We are aggressively paying off debt. IF we can stick to our budget of living on less than half of DH's salary, we will have money leftover at the end of each month AND be able to pay off our debt by Christmas. It's our goal for that to be our family's Christmas present.

This does not include car payments. We think if we can pay off our debt by this Christmas, we can pay off the car by next Christmas. I know that's very long term but this is our goal.

We each have spending money so I won't list that stuff here. Only groceries and other budgeted stuff.
#3 of 424 Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 PM

a. Hi, I'm Jenny. SAHM to one lovely five year old little girl and about to burst pregnant with our new addition (due 04.03.09!)

b. My main goal right now is to pay off the wood pellet stove DH insisted on purchasing last fall. The balance is currently on a credit card whose 0% interest ends in July.

c. No recreational shopping. This should be relatively simple to accomplish once baby arrives. I think my bigger issue will be resisting the urge to get take out every night. I need to come up with a bunch of easy & healthy meal ideas.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#4 of 424 Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM

Joining again. I really like seeing where my money goes.

4/1 - 0$ spent
4/2 - 0$ spent 30/1000)
4/3 - Car payment 280$, Gas/Car - 16$, Grocery- 6$ : (90/1000)
4/4 - Tolls -5$,Gas- 10$ (we have a new baby neice though so its all worth it
4/5 - Tolls- 5$
4/6 - Target/Dinner - 12$ : (130/1000)
4/7 - Grocery- 25$ Gas- 2 0$ Pool league (dh) - 5$ : (175/1000)
4/8 - Grocery - 180$ y: (200/1000)
4/9 - Cell phones - 180$ Car ins- 80$
4/10 - Grocery - 40$
4/11 - Dollar Store- 20$, Target- 30$ (Easter supplies), and CVS- 6$ = I'm proud of how much i got, for how little i spent,(I usually spend double that or more) the kids easter baskets rock! I'm so excited for them to see them tomorrow.

- No spending whatsoever
- Planned/Budgeted spending
- Not planned, totally unnecessary spending
: - 1000 minutes of exercise

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#5 of 424 Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM

I'm coming back and hoping for a badge-free month!

I've completely reworked the budget/finances so I'm hoping it helps. I'm trying to us DH's pay as our flex money (food/gas/extras) which is going to be 100% in cash. I'm not sure if I'm going to "allow" the extras as necessary fun stuff or not, so for now it's getting recorded. That leaves my pay for the bills. Whatever is leftover (from my pay) at the end of the month goes into the savings account.

I'd like to keep the groceries under $300 this month. I really need to take my time at the store and go before we run out of things so I'm not doing a quick run after a stressful day (this usually leads to grabbing whatever).

My ultimate goal is no eating out. I guess it's not very good for us anyways. But, I'd be happy if it ends up only being 1x a week.

3 : DH Pay
10 : DH Pay

Goals/Totals/Key

No Unnecessary Spending $0

Unneeded $0

: $300 left in the budget.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#6 of 424 Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 PM

I'm in! :

Doing this last month was so helpful, we were actually able to go the entire month without overdrafting, which is a freaking miracle. I also read a really interesting book: The Complete Cheapskate by Mary Hunt. She has the usual ideas, but a fresh spin.

My goals for this month are:
1. : at home 25/30 days.
2. no drive) 3/30 days.
3. Keep savings IN savings.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#7 of 424 Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 PM

i'm in! i'm carrie and last month was my first try at this money tracking thingy. i spent a lot more last month than i normally do (after thinking i was going to kick butt!) so i know i'm going to do better this month!

0/600 groceries
0/100 pantry stocking
0/50 spending money

0/20 no spend days
0/10 budgeted spend
0/0 non-budgeted spend!!!!
0/27 get outside :

30-
31-
-------
1-
2-
3-

eh. who needs a signature?
#8 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 12:09 AM

be back tomorrow
#9 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 AM

a. Who you are

Van. Single mom to 2. Geology undergrad and researcher in now two labs. Exhausted woman.

I want to get myself current and simplify over and beyond.

No spending money. At all.

My goals:

0 spending days
0 eating out

I know it is a lofty goal, but one must be lofty when in poverty
#10 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Hi, I'm Carolyn and this is my first time posting on mdc in eons. I'm recently (as of November) unemployed (had worked part-time from home for 7+ years). We knew that I'd be unemployed and had paid down all our debt except for student loan and house. The plan was for me to be home with my youngest until she started Kindergarten in the fall. We are now moving on to plan B because plan A got a little screwed up. You see, I'm (surprise!) preggo. So now we are learning to really live on JUST a teacher's salary. My goal for the month is to have less than $20 in unbudgeted spending and to keep groceries under $400. I'd also like to have 20 no spend days and zero eating out days.

Key:
No spend :
Budgeted spend:
Unbudgeted spend:
#11 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM

a. Who you are

I am a WAHM 28 hours a week, with 3 kids in school and a toddler who will be 4 this month at home. DH works outside the home.

1. To toally stash my check and just live off DH's.
2. No unplanned spending (I have a coffee pod on order, and DH will be getting a CD player for his work car - for the commute - it was our treat out of the income tax return we popped in our savings account.

1. Get a grip on grocery spending.
2. Check out our phone bill, our cable bill, and our cell phone bills to see if we can cut it down.

Jennifer
Valrico, FL
#12 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 10:18 AM

I am joining up, but will be back later to post goals. I'm in the middle of re-arranging the furniture in my living room right now!

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#13 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 11:08 AM

a. Who you are - I'm Kara, mama to Jillian, Max, & Lucy and married to Chris. My weaknesses are Waldorf toys and yarn

b. Where you are going (your financial goals) -
Longterm, we have a HUGE amount of stupid debt and Chris and I want to be Debt FREE before Jillian starts college so that she won't have to live with Sallie Mae Student Loans like we are : We'd also like to build up a good Emergency Fund.

Short term
, this month is going to be super tight for us with license plates due, home owners association fees due, and we're hosting Easter for 10 people, which I'm excited about but it will be a challenge to pull off as frugally as possible.

Chris and I sat down at the beginning of the year and made a budget. We've been tweaking it along the way. I've gone over in a few categories, like Christmas/Gifts (some of that will be refunded through some rebates I'm expecting to get back) At the end of March we did a huge Bakery Thrift Store run, freezer stock up, and picked up our Angel Food boxes, so the pantry is FULL :

Hopefully sticking to the budget, Chris working some overtime, and me really committing to NOT SPEND ANYTHING NOT ON THE BUDGET - no yarn, no toys, no knitting patterns, no little extras, no fast food - will put us in the green for the month, despite the challenges and extra expenses. Ideally, this will even give us a little extra for the Savings

My Budget (not including bills & debt repayment)
Grocery/Household = $190 (includes Angel Food April order and factors in my FULL pantry)
Clothing = (I went over in March, so no extra funding. Any $ that goes here has to be earned through re-sale of the old clothing) Earned $4.30
Homeschool = $30 (I went over in March by $15 so ...) $15
Christmas/Gifts = (I went over in this category last month - see a trend? LOL but expect some rebates to refund this category) no funding

3/30 -
3/31 - Pay Day
4/1 -
4/2 -
4/3 -
4/4 -

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#14 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Back again for another month. March was soooo long. I spent a lot, but at least I know where all my money is going. We did much better with take out than we have done in a while so I am happy with that. Really gotta watch the food/household budget. I think I am going to have to restrict myself to one trip to the store a week and be very careful what I buy from the co-op this month even though there are some really good sales… I am going to add an exercise goal since it will help me manage my stress and therefore hopefully stop me from some stress related spending.

Planned April Spending:

: & household items $600
Unbudgeted/Unnecessary Spending:
Budgeted/Necessary Spending:
No Spend Days: 15
:At least 30 minutes exercise: 30
Spending $ - $50
Gas: $100
#15 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Hi, We did our first month in March and over all it didn't turn out so badly. We had our ups and downs but over all I was impressed.

Here is the breakdown as of today:

5/31 no spend days
166.96 in unbudgeted/unnessary spending - :
4215.98 in budgeted spending : WE PAID OFF A CAR :
146.19/120 : TOTALLY OVER BUDGET
190?/ in GAS
316.68/320 in Groceries
BIL kicked in 97 for groceries (not in total)
MIL paid for 54 of groceries that we bought for her (not in total)
Taking this into account we were about $30 over budget for Groceries for the month.
581/200 added to saving

This is the first month in many that we have not taken money out of savings I realized that my grocery budget may be a little low for a family of 4 eating mostly organic. I think that I will be upping the amount to 360 and we will see where we end up. I am giving us a total of 150.00 for eating out for the month and that is it! When the money is gone there is no more

Our goals for APRIL!!!
0/360 for groceries :
0/150 for Eating out :
0/8 no spend days :
0/200 for Budgeted spending
I am planning for additional spending for
- DS's 2nd Birthday parties (one in PA and one in MA)
- In laws visiting (two dinners out that will not go against the eating out budget)
- Garden Supplies $50 for seed starting supplies, etc
We would like to pay off our Discover Card (the portion that is accruing interest)
Pay extra on CAR S to hopefully pay it off by 9/09.
Add to savings

I am sure that I will come up with more as the month goes along.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#16 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM

I'm Amanda and have been participating in these threads for a few months. I spent WAY too much in March and am setting my goals again for April.

$500 for all food and household
$50 for dining out
$100 for kids/clothing

We have 3 kiddos and I am 19 weeks preggo with #4. I have been packing on the pounds, so I'm setting an exercise goal for this month also. 20 days of walking!

Thanks for the inspiration mamas.
#17 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 06:02 PM

Ok I'm trying this again. I start out well, then just quit. But I have to get my grocery spending under control and way down so here goes.

I'm Allyson, dh and I both woh full time and we have 2 little boys.

I'm planning 3 grocery trips this month max and hoping to keep it under $300. We don't usually spend a ton on just stuff, but the last month or two, its gotten wild. We typically eat out once or twice a month and that isn't a huge deal so I'm not worried if we do that and if we don't, great.
#18 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM

Yesterday and today, stayed on weekly budget for groceries. We hope to not have to buy anything else for a week except possibly milk.

We cut our Netflix and Gamefly back also. (this is our entertainment)
#19 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 10:52 PM

1:::

Goals
:0/20 No Spend Days
0/20 Decluttering/Organizing Days/30 minutes (NOT cleaning)
:0/5 Library Days w/ boys
: 0/4 books
:0/20 knit at least 15 minutes
:0/28 eat at home
0/10 add things to CL
0/5 update blogs (months behind)
:0/10 Let the Car Rest Days
0/30 Exercise at least 30 minutes
#20 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
a. Who you are

Smithie, dh, ds, dd and dd2 due in May! We moved closer to family and started a business last year (our dream!) and are now living on two minimum-wage salaries and some income from our rented-out house back in WA.

1. Live within our income month-to-month (doing pretty well with this one so far in 2009)
  2. Get our monthly take-home pay to where it actually should be (just went through the agony of tax-withholding-tweaking, so come April 15th we'll see where we're really at with that plus the stimulus-related changes)
  3. Start saving again once the paychecks are at the right level
  4. Pay off mortgage in WA before our ARM resets in 2011

Find ways to be supercheap in certain spending areas without feeling deprived. My big ones so far this year - food costs and kids' clothes.

My April food challenge will be the big Passover meal I'm cooking for the family - can I keep it from busting my food budget? I believe that I can! It kind of depends on what dh decides to eat this month, though. Hopefully he'll be on a bean soup kick. He is an eccentric eater.

In the general household category: I will also need to purchase tickets for my trip home in late June with the kids. And the dog needs his teeth cleaned. (The kids need their teeth cleaned, too, but they have insurance.) We just hired a mower because dh told me flat-out that he will not mow the lawn, ever, in 2009. I am 33 weeks pregnant, so that $70/month will just need to be planned for.

To help compensate for all these costs, I would REALLY like to see my utility bills go through the floor - April in SC should be a no-heat no-AC month! I am also canceling my Ancestry.com membership. I am hoping to think of other recurring costs to decrease or eliminate.
#21 of 424 Old 03-30-2009, 11:12 PM

Hello! I'm back after a month (or two?) off.

I'm Jessica- mom of 2, wife of 1. DP & I both work full-time.

DP just got a promotion, so we're hoping to pay off our (ridiculous) dept ASAP. Our tax refund took care of several little bills and gave us a good cushion in out savings (a la Dave Ramsey). Now we're steadily chipping away at our bills smallest to largest (again a la Dave Ramsey). Our problem is that now that we have a bit more money coming in, we're both feeling a little more comfortable and spending more. THIS MUST STOP!

My goal is only 1 lunch bought per week & only 2 fast-food meals with the kids for the entire month. I'm also going to try to not drive more than I have to, but we'll have company for the first 2 weeks, so I can't make any promises abotu that.

I'm committing to this for April!

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#22 of 424 Old 03-31-2009, 12:37 AM

Hi ladies! I am happy to be back (I hope!). I had great success with this challenge last year and hope to have this same now.

I have been "restructured" and while thankful to have a job I am making less. DH has been unemployed for 5 months. We are doing well and still even putting money into savings (even if it is just a small bit).

We have 1 toddler (boy, 2 years) and one on the way in July! We are looking to stay within our means, continue paying debt and we are downsizing (sad, but necessary).

Goal: As many no spen days as possible!

April 1

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#23 of 424 Old 03-31-2009, 01:07 AM

I always start these but never finish I need major accountability next month though, so here I am.

a. Who you are
Jaime Lovely wife to my DH and furMom to my three kitties.

Well I am having surgery tomorrow. Sadly, the first $600 is mine to pay out of pocket before the insurance kicks in to cover 80% of the rest. Plus I have to miss at least 2 weeks of work, if not 4. So we really need to mind the pennies this month.

Well we've pretty much stocked the pantry and freezer so I wont be spending much on groceries. We need to avoid impulse buying. My DH and I have knocked a lot of debt out in the past couple of months, so I want to keep that momentum going.

Jaime Totals:
Groceries: 0/$150
Household Expenses: 0/$75

My Grid:
= no spend days
= bills, bills, bills, but nothing unbudgeted
= spend day

My DH is taking the rest of this week off *with pay* to take care of me after surgery, so at least we wont be using gasoline this week

April 1st
April 2nd
April 3rd
April 4th
April 5th
April 6th
April 7th
April 8th
April 9th
April 10th
April 11th
April 12th
April 13th
April 14th
April 15th
April 16th
April 17th
April 18th
April 19th
April 20th
April 21st
April 22nd
April 23rd
April 24th
April 25th
April 26th
April 27th
April 28th
April 29th
April 30th

I might not be able to check in daily, because the surgery is on my arm so I wont be up for typing, but I plan to update as often as I can. I figure we are pretty much home bound for a week or so

A friend loaned me a bunch of books to read while recovering :

Have a great month everyone

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#24 of 424 Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 AM

Hi!!! I'm Tara and I've never been brave enough to join on the challenges. This month and next month we have to though! We work every summer and then allocate funds into an envelope for each expense for each month of the year. Dh was planning on working part time while in school, but I have just been diagnosed with ppd and he was picking up all of my slack, so... not making any money. (I am so lucky to have a hubby that puts me and the babies ahead of well... getting ahead! )

So, april and may are going to be tight!!! We have enough money for our bills, but very little for food or gas, and that means, no spending money. Gulp.

We have a freezer full of meat. I just inventoried and we have more than enough to comfortably feed us till the beginning of june. Pantry is well stocked, other than flour, which we will need to buy soon.

The plan:

need to re-evaluate!

Ooh, that's gonna be tight! Now to get dh on board. We moved to a tiny village, and he's such a city boy. He feels a little isolated so he goes to the store EVERY single day! sigh...

I'm looking forward to support in making these two months work. Maybe I'll be able to show dh that we can trim area's where we already thought we were doing good.

My key:
no spend day: :
planned spending:
unplanned spending: :

April 1st milk and cream $9
April 2nd : ds1 was begging for bananas so I scrounged up enough change from the car, under the couch and in the laundry jar (when I do laundry I empty change from pockets into a jar) to get him bananas without touching the cash that is for food for these two weeks . Then dh got wicked bad heartburn and went to the store for tums, and there was enough "treasure change" that we didn't touch our food money! Therefore, even though it was "unplanned" it was creatively not to the negative, so I'm calling it a no spend day!
April 3rd : We ran out of milk this morning. I wonder if we can make it till sunday before we buy milk...
April 4th : Dh had to buy milk this morning, and is golfing with some guys this afternoon. Sigh... well, at least it's the $15 course and not some $90 or $200 course. But still, I just don't think dh gets as worried as I do. He's pretty responsible about paying bills and stuff, but just isn't the squirrel that I am!
April 5th :
April 6th : A truly horrible day. $80.00 spent on crap. Easter stuff, and crap. sigh... I feel awful. I just revised the plan, and now that I see how tight things are going to be, I can't believe we spent $80 on stupid nothing stuff. AURGH!!!!
April 7th : $13 taco stuff sigh... this is sort of my fault. I invited people over and thought this was a meal we had everything for. I was wrong.
April 8th
April 9th
April 10th
April 11th
April 12th
April 13th
April 14th
April 15th:
April 16th
April 17th
April 18th
April 19th
April 20th
April 21st
April 22nd
April 23rd
April 24th
April 25th
April 26th
April 27th
April 28th
April 29th
April 30th

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#25 of 424 Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"He feels a little isolated so he goes to the store EVERY single day!"

My dad does that! He likes to run into all the people he knows at Wal-Mart In addition to food and household shopping, he banks there, gets his hair cut there, gets his prescriptions there, takes Grandma shopping there...

... Holy tax withholding, Batman! Our take-home salaries are DOUBLING this month if my calculations are correct. So now, I start stressing out about the debt we owe that did not bother me in the slightest before...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 1st
April 2nd
April 3rd: $100 to mikveh lady
April 4th
April 5th
April 6th
April 7th
April 8th
April 9th
April 10th
April 11th
April 12th
April 13th
April 14th
April 15th: TAXES DUE
April 16th
April 17th
April 18th
April 19th
April 20th
April 21st
April 22nd
April 23rd
April 24th
April 25th
April 26th
April 27th
April 28th
April 29th
April 30th

Total non-bill household spending: 0/1000
Plane tickets: 0/500
Homeschool co-op 2009-10 tuition: 0/125
Days doing homeschool lessons: 0/20
#26 of 424 Old 03-31-2009, 12:07 PM

The accountability on these threads has been so helpful to me! Here's to a good April! :

a. Who I am- Mom to a 3-yr-old DD, with another child due next month. I have been a WOHM/student most of DD’s life, but am transitioning into being a mostly SAHM (hoping to pare down budget to the point where we can get by with only working 1-2 days per week).

b. Goals- My main goal is to be able to afford to be a mostly-SAHM. I am planning to homeschool, and for this and other reasons, it is important to me to be able to mostly-SAH long-term, without going back into debt. We have paid off all our credit cards and student loans since I graduated school last year, and I definitely want to continue with making smarter financial decisions than we have made in the past.

A short-term goal is to save up a sizeable chunk of cash to use toward a newer vehicle, which we plan to purchase this fall. We will probably have to take out a loan for a portion of this, but as much saved toward it as possible would be a good thing.

c. How you plan to get there- Continue using cash envelope system for groceries, clothing, and household items. Avoid putting anything on debit card other than gas for car. Continue decluttering house so I know what I have, and thus don’t buy unneeded items. Buy kid/baby clothes 1-2 years ahead once yard sale season starts up again. Actually keep up with the garden this year, to minimize grocery bills. Continue to minimize driving. Use library rather than buying used books, which are my undoing. And so on…

The next month or so may be hard to stay on budget, with a new baby around. I'll do my best...

1- <Take $550 cash out of checking for month>.

April key and goals:

Budgeted
Groceries /household 0 / $450
Gas 0 / $60
Homeschool 0 / $20
Kid clothing & items 0 / $20
New baby items- 0 / $40 for miscellaneous baby/ labor prep items
: unbudgeted spending 0 / $20
No spend days 0 / 20 days
Declutter (so I will know what I have!) 0 / 10 days
: Money to savings for replacement car fund- 0 / $500

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#27 of 424 Old 03-31-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm a mum & wife currently on mat-leave with a very fixed budget.

Goal: to only spend budgeted $ on food and house stuff.

The $ I have to work with:
- $100/week for groceries
- $20/week for diapers and cat food (doesn't get used weekly but we have to add to this envelope each week to make enough to buy these items)
- $10/week for laundry (coin in apartment building)
- $20/week to spend on myself or to save

Plan: record everything here (did Feb & March and it made a huge difference in my spending) and use the envelope system.

Grocery weeks:
March 29 - April 4: 97.00/100
April 5 - April 11: 0/100
April 12 - April 18: 0/100
April 19 - April 25: 0/100
April 26 - May 2: 0/100

Type of spending
= budgeted spending
= not budgeted spending
= no spend

What the $ was spent on
: = $ spent on groceries
or : = $ spent on baby or cat
= $ spent on me
#28 of 424 Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 AM

My Budget (not including bills & debt repayment)
Grocery/Household = $29.16/$190
Clothing = Earned $4.30
Homeschool = $15/$15
Christmas/Gifts = no funding this month

3/30 - no spending!
3/31 - Pay Day spent $29.16 on milk, pet food, salad mix, almonds, and coffee - but it was planned spending and I had $5.54 in coupon/sale savings
4/1 - planned NO SPEND day
4/2 -
4/3 -
4/4 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
... we're hoping to pay off our (ridiculous) dept ASAP. Our tax refund took care of several little bills and gave us a good cushion in out savings (a la Dave Ramsey). Now we're steadily chipping away at our bills smallest to largest (again a la Dave Ramsey). Our problem is that now that we have a bit more money coming in, we're both feeling a little more comfortable and spending more. THIS MUST STOP!
We're DR followers here, too! We've been doing the Total Money Make Over since January. Like you guys, we have the problem that whenever dh gets a raise or I find a new way to save some money we get too comfortable with that and our spending increases instead of our savings : We're here to break that cycle! Live like no one else, right?

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#29 of 424 Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM

okay, new month, new start.

WAHM mom, married to hubby who works full time, two small kiddos at home. I need to get a grip on frivolous spending. I need to find another way to relieve boredom. We may be moving in the future, so I need to keep everything in savings that I can. I also want to stick to the food budget each week. I think if I can get out of the spending habit for an entire month, I can have it licked.

So other than things that are budgeted in, i will do NO SPENDING outside of the budget. No buying something and then moving categories to make up the difference.

Groceries are $100 a week. Should be more than doable.

I will leave my wallet at home whenever necessary, and pack lunches for trips and stuff.
#30 of 424 Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 AM

i am struggling with something. there is an unschooling conference in September that i want to attend w/ the 2 kiddos. i would really love to drive down to Tx (we are in NH) and then over to Florida and go to Disney World. but i would have to drive alone. the alternative is for me to simply fly down with the 2 kids and back...and thats our "vacation". I dont know which one i will do but i also dont know how to "budget" for this. Envelopes dont really work for me b/c i use our credit card for everything (we get points back and pay it off every month..last year we got over $500 back, and that was only one reward check).

so, how would you do this if you dont operate on a cash basis? i really dont want my frugality making us miss everything...and we havent been on a vacation in a very long time (not that vacations are essential...we take weekend trips, etc. etc. and DP had 6 weeks off work last year b/c of baby).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page