Mvelopes vs. PearBudget vs. Mint.com - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-31-2009, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got done with my free trial with Mvelopes, and while I loved the spending/tracking portion of it- the rest ended up being a mess with tons of missing/misplaced/misrepresented transactions from our multiple accounts. (Our mortgage payment, which had cleared with our bank never cleared with the program- um that is kind of big!) Account balances were all over the place and never matched our account history with our bank. Huge bummer that it didn't work out for us, considering the effort it took to set up. (The program and our online banking weren' t compatible at first.)
I would have kept using it just for tracking our spending account purchases (household purchases, food, entertainment,etc.), but I'm not interested in paying for just that. All of the features that sounded so good to us, just didn't work out. (Keeping track of multiple spending accounts visually, being able to reconcile/assign transactions, setting aside money for the cc payment.)
So has anyone compared mvelopes to either mint or pearbudget?
I am hesitant to try another one of this again because of the headaches and the access to our accounts (if we aren't going to stay with a program.)
Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated!

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#2 of 3 Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM

I know Mint is not good for budgeting, but it has done a good job and letting me see my finances (including investments and student loans). They are planning on improving the budgeting. Not sure about the other.

Mint does a real basic grouping of finances. So depending on how in depth you need, it may work. It did not take me long to set it up. You could do it with a few accounts and see if you like it or not....

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#3 of 3 Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM

We use Snowmint and it's worked really well for us. I like having the envelopes to see where are money is or isn't. It's helped us plan a lot better. We're still broke, but at least now we know EXACTLY how broke we are

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page