Do you do this? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THe only leftovers we generally have are crusts, the little crispy french fries and a little spaghetti; if they didn't eat them the first time, they wouldn't when they're all dried out and gross :. Into the compost they go so they still have a purpose

I do make extra on purpose to freeze or for another meal but generally I make just enough of what we're having at that meal. DH used to save every spoonful of leftovers and it drove me crazy! We'd have a fridge full of little bowls and half the time I couldn't remember how old they were and no one ever ate them. That was more wasteful.

I do try hard not to be wasteful but we probably could do a little better. I probably could save all my veggie trimmings for stock, which i never think of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 69 Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM

Leftovers from the pan? Oh definitely! They are usually lunch the next day! Leftovers from someone's plate? Only if that person wants it for later, otherwise no.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#63 of 69 Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM

I do if I can make something else from it. I keep all the little bits of veggie leftovers and either put it in stirfry with that little bit of meat left or in a soup or pot pie...
#64 of 69 Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 PM

My husband is the owner/captain of a commercial fishing boat so he is responsible for buying groceries (and on our boat, cooking) but all grocery expenses get split between crew members so they are happy to keep the cost as low as possible. So my husband takes all the leftovers from home when he leaves for a fishing trip and turns them into....God know what on the boat?!? His concoctions of our leftovers (usually plus some fish they caught) always sounds gross to me but I have never heard a crew member complain about his cooking so everyone wins!
#65 of 69 Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey I think we have just formed two new MDC tribes

"saving every bit of leftover food and turning into a scrumptous meal for 25"

"throws out anything left on the counter for more than 10 minutes"

LOL LOL
#66 of 69 Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 AM

I have a big bowl I put small amounts of leftovers in and feed them to the chickens, too. They'll eat almost anything.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#67 of 69 Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 AM

I don't use left over that have been eaten from, unless the child who ate that wants to save it. It can be composted. As for food left in the pan it was cooked in, I save all of that, freeze it and make "reincarnated soup". : I have a whole set of recipes based on leftover foods which haven't been on someones plate yet. I have container which I put "soup" veggies and rice in, and all else gets set aside as a small meal for my dd2. She is home with me on the alternating weekends when my other kids aren't home. She eats those meals which I have frozen from leftovers.

We don't have pets so we don't have an animal to feed, but we do try not to put too much on our plates, so we don't waste it. It's always easier to get a few more spoons of the food, than to take too much and waste it.

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#68 of 69 Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 AM

If it's a couple of T, I just eat it.

We're very vigilant about not wasting food. I cook what we'll eat for that meal, unless it's very easy to make planned leftovers. If we've taken too much and there's enough for leftovers, then it goes into the fridge, but I'm quite careless about germs and such.

I can see how it's more difficult planning with little kids - who knows if they'll eat 1 bite or 20!

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

#69 of 69 Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
Hey I think we have just formed two new MDC tribes

"saving every bit of leftover food and turning into a scrumptous meal for 25"

"throws out anything left on the counter for more than 10 minutes"

LOL LOL

I am so completely in the first category, although my recycled meals are probably more 'tolerable' than 'scrumptious'.

My husband is even doing it now. He scraped all the juicy bits out of the pan last night (chicken, carrots, potatoes) and dumped it into the soup pot I had going. Eating a bowl of it right now and it is some deeeeeeelicious soup.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page