washing machine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a kenmore washer thats 12 1/2 yo I have been threatening to get a new set just so I could stack tham in my upstairs bathroom where all the bedrooms are. Then frugal me make me sleep on it for a week and I said NO. Instead I got DH to move the washer and dryer out of the unfinished and dark and cold part of our basement to my kitchen in the basement this morning.

Well I have done 7 loads of laundry put 1 load in and went upstairs to take a shower and came out to it just making a horible buzzing noise and not agitation at all. Did I jinx myself by looking at others? I was just wondering how long they normally last we have been a family of 5 for 7 years so it has done lots of laundry? Should I try to get it fixed (cheaper) or a new one???

Thanks
Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM

Umm so it's a toploader with an agitator?

And you've had it 12 years and it's never done this buzzing?

Coz . . .

My parents old toploader would make an awful buzz and stop moving whenever it got unbalanced. Usually during the spin cycle, but sometimes in the rinse cycle. You just rearrange all the stuff and make sure an equal amount on all sides then shut the lid and it should restart itself.
It hasn't happened to my new topload machine so I guess it's less frequent of a thing now, but I'm still surprised it has never happened to you.
#3 of 5 Old 04-06-2009, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

i even took everything out and it still does it

I got a bad feeling that emergency fund for appliances( that I just never got around to) is now needed badly
#4 of 5 Old 04-06-2009, 06:45 PM

oh well in that case, eeeesh.

My dad was able to repair the old machine I mentioned, many times until the gears simply wore out. Do you know anyone who is mechanically inclined? If you don't have the money I would try to fix that one if it's worth it.

On the other hand I have a $300 top loader from Sam's Club. Check your paper for people who are moving and selling a still-good washing machine.
If you can't afford a super-nice machine then I would then find something cheap that gets the job done. At least then if it doesn't last forever you aren't out a whole lot of money. That's my take on it, after spending a lot on a lemon, I'm all about cheap or used machines now.
#5 of 5 Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Could be a pump or a belt. Should be less then a $100 fix if you hire it out...those older washers last longer it seems IMO. Id hang on to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page