Mothering Forum banner

washing machine

443 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  p1gg1e 
#1 ·
I have a kenmore washer thats 12 1/2 yo I have been threatening to get a new set just so I could stack tham in my upstairs bathroom where all the bedrooms are. Then frugal me make me sleep on it for a week and I said NO. Instead I got DH to move the washer and dryer out of the unfinished and dark and cold part of our basement to my kitchen in the basement this morning.

Well I have done 7 loads of laundry put 1 load in and went upstairs to take a shower and came out to it just making a horible buzzing noise and not agitation at all. Did I jinx myself by looking at others? I was just wondering how long they normally last we have been a family of 5 for 7 years so it has done lots of laundry? Should I try to get it fixed (cheaper) or a new one???

Thanks
Tina

#2 ·
Umm so it's a toploader with an agitator?

And you've had it 12 years and it's never done this buzzing?

Coz . . .

My parents old toploader would make an awful buzz and stop moving whenever it got unbalanced. Usually during the spin cycle, but sometimes in the rinse cycle. You just rearrange all the stuff and make sure an equal amount on all sides then shut the lid and it should restart itself.
It hasn't happened to my new topload machine so I guess it's less frequent of a thing now, but I'm still surprised it has never happened to you.

#4 ·
oh well in that case, eeeesh.

My dad was able to repair the old machine I mentioned, many times until the gears simply wore out. Do you know anyone who is mechanically inclined? If you don't have the money I would try to fix that one if it's worth it.

On the other hand I have a $300 top loader from Sam's Club. Check your paper for people who are moving and selling a still-good washing machine.
If you can't afford a super-nice machine then I would then find something cheap that gets the job done. At least then if it doesn't last forever you aren't out a whole lot of money. That's my take on it, after spending a lot on a lemon, I'm all about cheap or used machines now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.