The financial aspect of a raw foods diet - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-09-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for approximates on the cost of a raw foods diet. Are you and or your family 75% or more raw foodists? If so, approximately how much do you spend a month on food and what state/province do you live in?

Cheers,

MoonMama

:
#2 of 4 Old 04-09-2009, 06:57 PM

I'm not, at all, but can you indicate whether this raw diet would include fish and/ or meat of any kind? That would make a difference cost-wise.
#3 of 4 Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 PM

My kids and I went high raw last summer, and will probably do it again this year.

I really didn't notice a huge difference in the cost of foods. We used to eat meat at pretty much every meal, so that's probably why I didn't notice the difference when we went high raw. It was more that we ate so much in terms of VOLUME, and I had to go shopping more often, than anything else. I mean, I bought bananas by the box, more than one watermelon at a time, things like that.

I lived in a higher cost of living area at the beginning of last summer, but produce was cheaper. (I guess because of competition? I'm not really sure.)

I used a mix of farmer's markets and the grocery store, and bought food wherever it was cheaper. (Although if a local option was only slightly more than something that was imported, I'd try to buy the local and/or organic option.) I did buy the top 12 organic. This year, I've got a garden going that I didn't have last year, and we'll also be going to u-pick farms for berries this year.

I also bought stuff from Just Tomatoes last year, that I ended up not liking, and it was not cheap, so we'll be doing our own drying this year.

I'd give you actual numbers, but I didn't keep track last year.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#4 of 4 Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 PM

well, i did about 90% raw on maui and it was expensive, like $1000 per month for three of us, but maui is expensive anyway.

out here in nevada, the most i've been was about 50% and i didn't notice a difference in our budget, i think it was actually a little less than normal say $750 per month for a family of four.

i will say that i found myself using a lot of nuts and the VERY best thing i did was find a tierra farms co-op. tierrafarms.com i think, if you order by the case they offer free shipping for over $250 and everything is organic.

i don't know of one going on right now but i know there will be one this summer on crunchy co-ops. um, if you can find a few people to order with you, you could do it on your own or you could jut buy a few cases of the nuts you will use.

eh. who needs a signature?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page