Need Ideas - $700/month needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-25-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long story but DH has a job offer on the table after almost 6 months of unemployment.

The downside of the job is that he will have to travel and I will need to stay home with the kiddos. Until his training period is over this will put us at $700 net/month deficit (he gets paid less in training than for the actual job).

What can I do to bring in the difference? We do live in an Urban area so this amount is not absurd (less than a month's rent).

Other things that are helpful to know: I am due mid-July with #2 and will work full time until then. Anything I do needs to be "on the side" right now or part - time at home starting mid-end of August.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

-Freelance writing
(working on getting paying gigs - just time consuming)

-Before/After school care for 1 child when the school year starts
(makes me nervous because I can't 'secure' this until mid-late August)

-Ask my current job if I can work from home doing marketing
(haven't proposed this yet and wouldn't have considered it in the past but feel the need to now, don't know when the best time to approach this would be, thoughts?)

Any other ideas? During DH's unemployment we have used up the majority of our savings. If there are things I can do now to stash some money away I would love that!

Thanks for your input ladies. Frugal mom's unite!

(Also we are down to the bare minimum on budget: no TV, no home phone, Aldi grocery shopping, etc. DH's training salary will cover our entire cost of living the $700 outstanding a month is debt : )

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#2 of 10 Old 04-25-2009, 02:51 PM

can i ask you a question, is this Combined Insurance? I know you didn't allude to that at all, but it popped into my head. They like to prey on people who have been unemployed for a while and are a BIG scam. If so, and you need more information, feel free to PM me.

If not (and I know I was batting out of left field here!) and it is a legit job, awesome, what good news! have you considered selling things on craigslist and ebay to stash away money? Old kids gear, shoes and clothing tends to go well if marketed appropriately (like play up the name brands, iron them before pictures, ect)
#3 of 10 Old 04-25-2009, 03:00 PM

Perhaps you could call the debt holders and work something out?

hh2.gif

#4 of 10 Old 04-25-2009, 03:19 PM

I think I would try to get the current employer to let you do work from home. My dh is a ft freelance writer/editor and has been for 7 years, I have also dabbled in freelance writing and my experience based off mine and dh is it does take time to build up to a base that pays in a consistent fashion.

Its one thing to earn a few bucks here and there but it takes a lot of work to earn a consistent paycheck as a freelancer unless you are involved in some of the newer media.

Is there anyway that your current skill sets can be used on a freelance basis? if so network with anyone and everyone and start putting the word out that you are looking to freelance.

I agree that ebay and craigslist may be a good way to build up a stash, I sold some old purses and comics a while back and probably made almost a thousand bucks in about 6 weeks.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#5 of 10 Old 04-25-2009, 04:02 PM

how long is his training period?

After the baby comes you could pick up more than just before/after school kids.
#6 of 10 Old 04-25-2009, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Dande - Not Combined Insurance. It is an Executive Chef position with Amtrak for nationwide travel BUT the training period is 145 days (ouch!)

We live pretty simply and are quite frugal so we don't have a ton of stuff. If the baby is a girl (we didn't find out) then I will have a TON of boy stuff I could sell, great idea!

Mystic - I may try and do that. The debt is mostly student loans from DH. The problem is that when he was unemployed we took a 6 month deferral on them so I don't know if they would extend it. Anyone have experience with this?

Shayinme - I think asking my current employer for work is the most stable option as I think freelancing is fun it does take time to establish. My employer is not very family friendly and currently does not have a single employee that telecommutes. Prayers for this to work out are welcome

Carrie - DH will be in training for 145 days starting May 15th. I am a bit hesitant to do more than before/after school care with an infant and toddler of my own but perhaps I will gain the courage before then

Thanks again for the replies. Sometimes I just need others to help me think things through.

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#7 of 10 Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityChic View Post
Mystic - I may try and do that. The debt is mostly student loans from DH. The problem is that when he was unemployed we took a 6 month deferral on them so I don't know if they would extend it. Anyone have experience with this?
You can do an economic hardship deferrment, its based off the fact that even though I am working I still can't afford my payments at this time. I filled out the paperwork online and just had to send in a few check stubs.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#8 of 10 Old 04-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Carrie - DH will be in training for 145 days starting May 15th. I am a bit hesitant to do more than before/after school care with an infant and toddler of my own but perhaps I will gain the courage before then
by the time school starts in the fall dh will almost be done his training period.

It's not quite 5 months that you need the extra $700/month. Is there any way you can defer some of the bills?
#9 of 10 Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 AM

Hi there,

My husband and I just spent a night of brainstorming ways to make extra money per month so I wouldn't have to go back to work full time when my maternity leave is up. this is what we came up with.
-Buy and sell books on Amazon (ive made about a hundred bucks off of about ten books which is WAY more than a book store would give you)

-buy and sell records on Ebay (my husband is a music buff and has actually increased out income by a couple hundred a month doing this!)

-I put out ads for "green Cleaning" and i offered to clean peoples homes using environmentally friendly cleaning products, and this one has paid off big time. I picked up two households and two offices and this amount to about 12 hours per week and it pulls in around 800 a month! I think people were particularly attracted to the "green" aspect of it!

-IF you are handy with a sewing machine you could make and sell cloth diapers because I think they are becoming more popular and are always WAy expensive.

Good luck!
#10 of 10 Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 AM

Summer child care might be a good option...around here, Parents are always needing something different for summer child care options while school is out

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page