What exactly do you include in a "groceries" budget? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to rework our grocery budget...and then realized that while I spend about $400-450/month on groceries, included in that is also diapers, wipes, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, misc. toiletry items as they pop up, etc. Do you budget out another amount for household items and misc items, or baby care? Or do you add it all in? Because then I realize that I'm not spending a whole lot on food, but when I add everything else in it adds up...

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 AM

$350 a month covers everything... food, household needs (cleaning, toothpaste, etc), cat food, cat litter. Anything that is consumable, is lumped into the grocery budget.

We don't have dishwasher, just me, no diapers or wipes either, but this number also includes things like toilet paper, over the counter meds (advil, etc), anything that gets consumed thru daily life is covered by grocery budget.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:23 AM

Mine is a groceries + household budget, too. I don't separate them because I usually buy them at the same stores anyway. So in my grocery budget is food, pet food, cleaning supplies, health & beauty stuff, toilet paper, etc.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:24 AM

We spend $400 on food, drink and pets and are trying to continuously lower that. I have a separate small budget for cleaning supplies and other household needs. This is mostly because we buy our cleaning supplies etc. from completely different places than the rest. It is just easier that way.

Special snacks and drinks like beer comes out of our entertainment budget as I am trying to cut down and this seems to work for us. If we buy too much crap we don't get to do anything fun.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. That's what I figured would make the most sense since I do buy all of those items at the same place anyway. I just wasn't sure. Thanks!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'm trying to constantly lower it too. I just can't figure out how 2 adults and 1 toddler cost so much. I know part of it is that I buy a lot of fresh fruits for my son, but that's really important to me so I try cut back else where - less meat, make most things from scratch, no snack items, etc...just can't seem to lower it. I'm thinking of switching to cash when I shop now...I always keep a running total of how much I'm spending anyway, but maybe by only taking 75$ with me it will force me to only spend that much.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My grocery budget is only food, but I usually buy the household stuff at a different store.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Groceries, household stuff- soaps, personal hygiene products, cat food and litter.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:59 AM

it includes food and cleaning and some basic toiletries but not baby care stuff. We use a pack of disposables about every three months and I buy it at Target. If I buy shampoo or hair product at Target it comes out of the misc budget, too.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 PM

Unfortunately, we spend $800-1000/month on just food/drink.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
If I buy shampoo or hair product at Target it comes out of the misc budget, too.
How much/what percentage do you set aside for "misc.", if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdaffodils View Post
Mine is a groceries + household budget, too. I don't separate them because I usually buy them at the same stores anyway. So in my grocery budget is food, pet food, cleaning supplies, health & beauty stuff, toilet paper, etc.
Yeah that, minus the pet food. Dog and cat food comes from a animal feed store where we get gas and we pay that bill once a month, so the pet food gets added in with the gas budget.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM

We separate our out into Groceries (Food only) and Household (diapers, wipes, cleaning, personal care, paper products, etc.). I basically did this b/c I like to stockpile some food and misc. items when they are a great deal but I was having a hard time keeping a balance between not spending too much of the grocery money on household items and the reverse. It is easier for me to "know" how much food I need to buy in a month and how much extra I have to stockpile with and the same with household, I know if I need to buy toilet paper this month then I might not be able to buy an extra box of laundry detergent even though it is on sale.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Food and Drink. Not alcohol though, that comes out of "entertainment".

I have a seperate budget for toiletries. I'm not sure why people include things like laundry soap in a grocery budget? But whatever...I dare to be different, lol :P

Oh yeah, I spend $260/mo on groceries and $30/mo on toiletries (shaving cream, soap, dish soap, laundry soap, tp, razors, etc).
Old 05-01-2009, 01:01 PM
mtm

My groceries covers groceries, laundry detergent, dish soap type stuff and shampoo, body wash, some junk food.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Ours is food, toiletries, pet supplies, first aid stuff, etc. We have managed to cut our toiletry budget to the bone, though- maybe $15 to $20 a month. A few of the seeds we buy also come out of the grocery budget. We also include minor durable goods in our grocery budget- stuff that we buy during the big once-a-month stock up. Last time it was lingerie bags and pet comb.

We do not include in our grocery budget online purchases (which includes some of my toiletry making supplies and makeup, as well as a lot of our seeds), restaurant meals, alcohol (we don't drink), gardening supplies (like our rain barrel or potato fork), or major durable goods (ie, vaccuum).

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Ours is only food. Anything else comes out of "household" and "misc" depending on what it is.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Ours is all one, food for us, dog and cat food and household supplies(pull-ups for DD at night, shampoo, dish soap, all that stuff). Currently I am spending a bit more because I am stocking up for when the baby comes-so diapers, baby supplies(all on sale and getting rebates too).

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 05-01-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post
Ours is only food. Anything else comes out of "household" and "misc" depending on what it is.
How have you figured out how much to allow for household items? I think this is where things add up for me...

Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
I have a seperate budget for toiletries. I'm not sure why people include things like laundry soap in a grocery budget? But whatever...I dare to be different, lol :P
It's just easier for me to work with. I buy laundry detergent (or whatever) at the grocery store or HFS when I'm buying food too, so I just pay for it together and record it in the same line in the budget. It's also easy for me to just say we have $500 total to spend on all the stuff I need to buy for the month, rather than dividing how much would be for HBA or cleaning or food. I like broad budget categories in general though.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Our food budget is only food and unfortunately, that runs $1,000 a month. I have a budget line for household expenses which covers paper products, cleaning products, etc. I budget $200 a month, but many times we don't spend it all. I try to stock up on that stuff as much as possible when there are deals.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Our grocery budget is for groceries (food & drink prepared and/or eaten at home). We also have a household budget & a dining budget.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Our grocery budget is just food/groceries.

We have a separate Target budget which covers household goods like TP, and BS and vinegar both come out of yet a third budget because they're purchased in bulk. Pet food/supplies have their own budget, even if I sometimes buy them from WF or TJs.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-01-2009, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our grocery budget consists of food, drinks (like milk, lemonade, tea bags), toiletries, pet supplies and food, and other household items. We normally spend about $1200 a month on everything listed above.

Angel Wife to Daniel Mama to Astrid (11/06) Leland (9/09)
Old 05-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Unfortunately, we spend $800-1000/month on just food/drink.

same here. I don't really budget the other stuff into grocery money b/c I buy very specific products for things like shampoo/soaps/dish-washing detergent and often order them online every couple months. So, it's budgeted separately. Or we make a trip to Target specifically for those items. My Albertsons does sell brands like Ecover and Seventh generation, so I do buy them there if we are out, but it's not really figured into grocery money.

What I am now trying to account for when thinking about how much we spend on groceries is eating out (which includes DH and the kids' lunches).

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 PM

We do all our cleaning supplies, paper products, soaps/detergents, etc. in groceries.

When DD was still on supp. formula, that had its own category, as did diapers and wipes when she used them. Mostly because I got those three at a completely different area of town.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. It seems to vary from person to person depending on circumstance I guess. I think I'm the kind of person who needs absolutely, so maybe I'll start separating mine out...

Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 AM

$500 a month includes everything, toiletries, cat food, etc

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:00 AM

Food and household items are lumped together. It makes tracking spending (we use the envelope system) much simpler. Basically everything I buy at Costco, the grocery store, CVS, Walgreens, Target or the pet store gets pulled from one envelope. I do separate out office supplies that I pick up occasionally at Costco or prescription medications from the drug store. Our total budget is $650, which seems to be a lot higher than most people around here. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, but budgeting less than that never seems to cut it.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:02 AM

I include food and non-food items in the grocery budget. We buy them at the same store on the same trip usually. I don't want to go through the receipt and figure out what goes in what category. We shop every two weeks so the list is long.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

User Tag List