$1000/ mo for groceries - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 120 Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Dar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Add gluten. I bake my own bread and it's soft and tasty and great for sandwiches... gluten is the secret!

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#92 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Add gluten. I bake my own bread and it's soft and tasty and great for sandwiches... gluten is the secret!
Eh, I know my DH, he is flippin picky when it comes to bread, plus I just get it on sale anyway. Decent loaves of non-HFCS bread at my local store run 2.50, that's a good enough price to not deal with complaining.

I cut corners everywhere else though, so it's a non-issue.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#93 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
My only advice would be get a Costco membership, so much of your items could be bought for so much cheaper there.

They have name brand TP, HUGE cases of it for cheap. Juice boxes if I remember correctly 9.00 for a case of 36.

I have to say though many times Costco is not going to be the cheapest for meat, chicken, fish-it goes on sale at a regular store for better prices IMO. Brown rice-cheap for a HUGE bag.

Also for me I disagree about making bread, unless your family really will eat it, my Dh loves it out of the oven as a treat, otherwise he will not eat it. He doesn't like it for sandwiches, he wants soft bread for that, so we buy bread.

I am someone who does believe in coupon use, I also believe in a stockpile. It is so frustrating to have to go buy something at twice the price I'd normally pay because I ran out. I hate that. I don't believe in having 50 tubes of toothpaste, but by golly I do have 4 bottles of shampoo and conditioner that I bought for pennies(and that is the good stuff).

I think a Costco membership is in your future.

I think you're on to something here. And maybe I'm just slow, but because OP has a limited selection to choose from (ie south beach & food allergies) she can't really change much of what she buys, but she can change where and how. So I'm not sure about costco, I'm near the finger lakes and we have BJ's instead. But, same thing really. And coupons for sure. It seems that whenever I see coupons they're for name brand items that we don't buy much of. Anything that you can't find coupons for, you could write to the company about your food allergies and how you really trust that brand, maybe you'll get a few coupons that way? It's worked before.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#94 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Eh, I know my DH, he is flippin picky when it comes to bread, plus I just get it on sale anyway. Decent loaves of non-HFCS bread at my local store run 2.50, that's a good enough price to not deal with complaining.

I cut corners everywhere else though, so it's a non-issue.

So.. aside from that, I cannot... CANNOT even imagine what it would be like to make enough bread to feed a family of 6!!!!

I make a 2 loaf recipe & there is NO WAY I could handle more dough at a time than that. OP would be in the kitchen every day making bread if she goes through as much as us
(a family of just 3!!!) !!! JEEBUS!!

On the Farmer's Market/CSA note, I don't know how it is where you guys live, but the Farmer's Market/CSA prices on produce/milk ($9/quart) & eggs ($8/dozen) are waaaay more expensive than grocery stores.

Delicious & incomparable, yes.. but *definitely* not cheaper! It's a splurge for us.

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#95 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

There are parts of that I'm working on. Storage space is an issue here, and we have nowhere to garden. There's a possibility we'll be moving into a house with a large yard in the next couple of years, and I definitely plan to start learning to garden at that time. DD would love it!! Depending how I recover from my section, I may go there this year. It's my mom's house, and it's been horribly overgrown for a long time...but my stepdad just retired, so they're getting the yard in shape a bit. If she replants her veggie garden, she may give me and dd a plot to work with. That would be great.

I totally have a storage issue too. We have an 800sq ft house! I'm so envious of Costco goers!

Gardening is awesome, but I'm honestly not sure how it works out financially yet. I've been keeping a detailed "account" for both garden and produce, and thusfar I've yet to cover my initial costs.. and I used scrap wood for the raised beds and start everything from seeds (on shelves built from scrap wood, $60 for lighting and seed trays "salvaged" from the dumpsters behind Fred Meyer )

Compost is my biggest expense. I've had to bring it in 2x/year. I'm digging new compost piles (mine are very small to accomodate for space) on our side yard hoping to elliminate any additional costs through buying compost. The idea of buying dirt is so weird, but that's been my only option since my garden space far outnumbers my compost space.

Hopefully I'll get a better yeild of hot crops this year. We'll see, though. We get a lot of grey skies & rain here in the rainy PacNW

My DD does love it, though! It's a LOT of work!!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#96 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
As an FYI to others as I see a lot of responses that are of no use to the OP because of the south beach consideration.
But SB friendly items for 1 person are bound to cost less than getting enough for 6 people, yes?
#97 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 12:35 PM

We bake bread for a family of four. We eat homemade bread almost exclusively. Once every month to six weeks, we make eight loaves and eight pizza crusts at a time and freeze them. Clearly, you need a chest freezer to do this, but it works for us.

We have fun with our baking days, taking our time and often doing additional special projects, but if/when we are pressed for time, we stick to the basics, which for us is: 8-10 loaves (freeze after baking), 8 pizza crusts (frozen in 1# dough lumps), the entire bag of tortillas from storebought mix (freeze after cooking) , and six pie crusts (frozen in 1# dough lumps) in about three hours, not including rising time, but including cleanup. That works out to roughly 30 hours per year.

Homemade bread is much more filling and dense than most storebought. (Even when we make the "soft kind" for DSS.) Thus, it can be sliced quite thin. So I find that we don't go through as much homemade bread as we did storebought bread.

(I also bake from homemade mixes- cornbread/muffins, biscuits/breadsticks, breakfast style muffins, and pancakes.
We buy corn tortillas and hamburger/hotdog buns. Soft pretzels and bagels we almost never buy as groceries, we eat those when we're out. Once in a while, DH will make a big batch of English muffins, pitas, and/or crackers, and those will go in the freezer, too. In the rare event that we run completely out of regular bread, I make Cuban Bread or Soda Bread, two fast and easy yeast breads.)

If we did not have a freezer, I would consider buying a bread machine. We prefer the taste of handmade bread, however. I cannot see going back to storebought bread. Everytime I eat it, no matter how good it looks, I'm disappointed.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#98 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Decent loaves of non-HFCS bread at my local store run 2.50,
I thought bread would not be a big saver for us but when I sat down and thought about it that was not true at all for us. We were paying about $2.00 a loaf for non organic non HFCS bread at Costco. We eat sandwiches probably 3 or 4 times a week and for 6 of us to have or take sandwiches in our lunch one day that is an entire loaf of bread. So say $8 a week or $24 a month. And thats one sandwich each. Sometimes the boy wants more and I let him have two sandwiches. So then I need to open a second loaf of bread. If I don't get enough at Costco for the month and need to buy it at the grocery store I am spending at least $4 a loaf!

But my husband will eat it. He actually prefers it now. Though it took the kids longer to adjust to homemade bread and DS still sometimes says I want store bread but we just never have it so he eats what ever is there.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#99 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Dar

I make a 4 loaf recipe by hand. No problems... I usually give one loaf away and freeze two, so that lasts us for two weeks or so. I have no idea what bread costs in the stores anymore, but if for a family of 6 it seems that one could easily save $50 a month by baking bread, and I don't see it as an onerous task.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#100 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
We were paying about $2.00 a loaf for non organic non HFCS bread at Costco.
I usually can't even find non HFCS bread. (I used to think, as do many Canadians, that we don't have HFCS in a bunch of stuff...but we do. It's just labelled differently.) For a loaf of reasonable tasting whole wheat bread, with HFCS, I pay $4.50. I've tried one kind without HFCS, and nobody here liked it. I'd choke it down, but nobody else would even touch it...and it was $5.79/loaf.

We go through about two loaves or so a week, usually. It varies a little with how busy the kids are (I'm more likely to do sandwiches for lunch when we have activities happening) and whether ds1 is home or away (extracurriculars) and if he has any days off school during the week. We have eaten three loaves in a week, on occasion, but not often. Making my own still isn't cheap (I haven't worked it out exactly, but it's got to be over $2.00/loaf)...but it's a lot cheaper than storebought...and doesn't have "glucose/fructose".

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#101 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Our local chain just started offering a soft whole wheat without HFCS, and I almost burst into tears right there in the aisle. It's less than $2 a loaf, and we go through 2 loaves easy a week just the four of us. I had been paying about 3.50 a loaf previously for bread with HFCS in it. I've tried making bread at home, but run into the same problem others have...none of us want to eat it after the first glorious hours out of the oven (or machine) when it's warm and soft and delicious.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#102 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 PM

That's interesting. I think fresh, hot, soft homemade bread is the best (doesn't everyone?). But, I like it after it's cooled off just as much as I like storebought...except that my homemade bread is more likely to shred while spreading something on it, which is a PITA.

I also slice my homemade bread thinner than the stores do. DS2 likes that, because he gets a better filling/bread ratio. I like it, because a loaf goes farther.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#103 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Making my own still isn't cheap (I haven't worked it out exactly, but it's got to be over $2.00/loaf)...but it's a lot cheaper than storebought...and doesn't have "glucose/fructose".
What ingredients are you using?

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#104 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 05:52 PM

I don't have the recipe in front of me, but it has whole wheat flour, white flour, a Tbsp. of honey, yeast, water, and unsalted butter.

But, I just remembered that it's not quite as much now. I'd started out using the yeast packets, and then realized they cost about 3X as much as buying a jar, so I've switched. The other biggie is the butter. There's not that much of it in the recipe, but it's expensive.

#105 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Whoa!!! That's some expensive homemade bread!!! How much butter are you using???

I have been using a pound? of yeast forever & get fresh ground organic whole wheat flour at .79/lb (f/ grinder @ local chain), approx 1 1/2 lbs in 2 loaves. Pretty cheap homemade bread!

We love breadmaking too, but I also have the worlds smallest freezer. Unless it's a bag of ice or in pyrex it's a lost cause.

I train in Muay Thai kickboxing & can do over 50 pushups in a minute & there is NO WAY I could physcially knead more dough than I do with my 2 loaf recipe.

That's some workout!!! Have you 8 loaf ladies tried pushups??? I bet you could just scream them out!!! I am seriously in awe of you who can somehow beat down 8 (!!!!!!) loaves worth!! Man! I feel like a weinie beanie!

#106 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:

But, I just remembered that it's not quite as much now. I'd started out using the yeast packets, and then realized they cost about 3X as much as buying a jar, so I've switched.
Oops... missed this!! Packets are the devil! N/M

#107 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Dar

Yeah... I get 2 pounds of yeast for $3 at Costco.. ww flour occasionally goes on sale for $2/5 pounds in my area, and I stock up when it does. That's .40 a pound... Butter is cheaper at Costco (although sometimes I use Canola oil or olive oil, both of which I get at Costco), as is high gluten white flour (I buy 25 pound bags for $7, so about .28 a pound for that). I sweeten with honey (Costco) or molasses (big lots) or sugar (Costco)...

I get bulk oats from wherever is cheaper, and also small amounts of wheat bran, vital wheat gluten, wheat germ, flaxseed, and other interesting things. I have a basic recipe and I switch it up a bit each time... so I might use some oat flour and sweeten with molasses and sugar and use butter as the fat one week, and the next use olive oil and honey and sesame seeds..

So, it looks like I probably spend about .25 each loaf, depending on the exact ingredients. I don't know what they weigh but they fill (and often overfill) a standard loaf pan.

#108 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Yeah... I get 2 pounds of yeast for $3 at Costco.. ww flour occasionally goes on sale for $2/5 pounds in my area, and I stock up when it does. That's .40 a pound... Butter is cheaper at Costco (although sometimes I use Canola oil or olive oil, both of which I get at Costco), as is high gluten white flour (I buy 25 pound bags for $7, so about .28 a pound for that). I sweeten with honey (Costco) or molasses (big lots) or sugar (Costco)...

That's IT! I'm getting a Costco membership!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#109 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 07:36 PM

You can also get 3 pounds of fresh peeled garlic for about $5.
When I get it home, I cover them in a mixture of 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar to prevent them form molding.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#110 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Homemade bread should only cost 50 cents per loaf!
I buy all my wheat from Wheat Montana (its organic) and can get 50 lbs for $30.
Even ground costs close to the same.

#111 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 09:35 PM

Yeah, butter's a killer for those outside dairy country. Here, nonsale priced local hormone free butter (read: tasty) costs $3.50/#. My family in FL pays $4/# for WalMart brand butter that tastes like lard.

I miss Costco. It's awesome.

We knead our bread 2 loaves at a time... in the Kitchen Aid. I'm 36 weeks pregnant and doubt I could do a single pushup.

#112 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Homemade bread should only cost 50 cents per loaf!
I buy all my wheat from Wheat Montana (its organic) and can get 50 lbs for $30.
Even ground costs close to the same.
I was paying more than 50 cents just for the yeast...about 65-70 cents per packet, plus the other ingredients. I have no idea how much to figure in for Hydro. I do use a bread machine - I love making it by hand, but my favourite recipe requires rolling out, and I just have trouble getting motivated, because my counter is too cluttered...plus, I ended up with some seriously over-inflated bread a few times when I went out and took too long to get back.

Even buying the jars of yeast, I worked it out to about 25 cents or so a loaf for yeast...but that's much better than what I was paying for packets.

Carley: umm...I think it's 2 Tbsp for the loaf I usually make. It's not a whole lot per loaf, but even regular (non-organic) unsalted butter is almost $6.00/pound.

#113 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Yeah, butter's a killer for those outside dairy country. Here, nonsale priced local hormone free butter (read: tasty) costs $3.50/#. My family in FL pays $4/# for WalMart brand butter that tastes like lard.
Basic grocery store butter is usually about $3.80/pound here....but that's the cheapest brand, and they don't make unsalted, which is what I use for bread. The cheap butter does taste okay. I'm not sure, but I'd guess it's hormone free - the hormones would be the bovine growth hormone, right? That's banned here.

I want to buy better (organic, grassfed) butter, but I keep getting scared off by the price. It's pretty ugly. Mind you, the industrial butter actually seems to be creeping up faster than the good stuff, so the price differential is closing.

#114 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Dar

Costco has Kirkland (their own store brand) organic butter... don't remember the price but it's usually cheaper than anywhere else. Lisa, have you priced any of this at the Costco in Vancouver? It's probably more than in the US but not a lot more...

#115 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 10:31 PM

DH and I had a Costco membership, but we only went once, and let it lapse. We found we were just tempted into buying stuff we didn't really need, or thought we might need, because the price was so good. I don't recall seeing any organic anything, though, and I was looking.

I may think about trying them again, but it's hard to make myself pay for the membership if I don't think I'll really use it, yk? It's a bit of a PITA to get to, as well. I'm not much of a driver, so I mostly stick to stores really close (ie. under two miles) to home.

#116 of 120 Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I was paying more than 50 cents just for the yeast...about 65-70 cents per packet, plus the other ingredients. I have no idea how much to figure in for Hydro. I do use a bread machine - I love making it by hand, but my favourite recipe requires rolling out, and I just have trouble getting motivated, because my counter is too cluttered...plus, I ended up with some seriously over-inflated bread a few times when I went out and took too long to get back.

Even buying the jars of yeast, I worked it out to about 25 cents or so a loaf for yeast...but that's much better than what I was paying for packets.

Carley: umm...I think it's 2 Tbsp for the loaf I usually make. It's not a whole lot per loaf, but even regular (non-organic) unsalted butter is almost $6.00/pound.
Oh, get the difference for us.
I buy the bulk yeast, 4 cups for $5 I think.
I put it in mason jars and freeze it, using as needed.

#117 of 120 Old 05-17-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Look for yeast in bulk. Usually restaurant supply stores will have it in 1 or 2 lbs packages for really cheap. My local HFS (small independent) carries it in the bulk bins for $4/lb. The jars are 4 oz (1/4 lb) and cost more than that.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#118 of 120 Old 05-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I don't have the recipe in front of me, but it has whole wheat flour, white flour, a Tbsp. of honey, yeast, water, and unsalted butter.

But, I just remembered that it's not quite as much now. I'd started out using the yeast packets, and then realized they cost about 3X as much as buying a jar, so I've switched. The other biggie is the butter. There's not that much of it in the recipe, but it's expensive.
I just bought two pounds of yeast online and including shipping it was just barely more than a jar from our supermarket.

I switched from the NYT recipe which uses 1/4 tsp yeast per loaf to the 5 minute a day one which uses 2 teaspoons per loaf.

Quote:
I want to buy better (organic, grassfed) butter, but I keep getting scared off by the price. It's pretty ugly. Mind you, the industrial butter actually seems to be creeping up faster than the good stuff, so the price differential is closing.
I buy nice cultured butter for eating and cheap (organic) butter for cooking.
#119 of 120 Old 05-17-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
I just bought two pounds of yeast online and including shipping it was just barely more than a jar from our supermarket.

I switched from the NYT recipe which uses 1/4 tsp yeast per loaf to the 5 minute a day one which uses 2 teaspoons per loaf.
I had no idea you could buy yeast online. I'll look at that. If I don't find a good supplier in Canada, it probably won't be worth it, though. Shipping food products over the border is a PITA, and it costs a lot.

I didn't even know you could buy yeast in bulk. I've never seen it anywhere.

Quote:
I buy nice cultured butter for eating and cheap (organic) butter for cooking.
I might do that, although I have enough trouble keeping track of my salted vs. my unsalted.

But, "cheap" organic butter here is about $6.00/pound. Actually, I noticed when I went shopping last night that even the storebrand has now reach $4.00. We love our dairy around here, but it's definitely getting expensive...

#120 of 120 Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the fabulous replies!! I definately feel further inspired to cut costs. We just started going to Sams club, no costco or close BJs here...We had all 4 kids so I never made it to the freezer/ meat section because the kids were all getting hungry and crabby, but I will definately check it out next time we go (hopefully without children!). Oh, I did stop buying the individual bagged chips, so after we finish off what we already had, I will try and bag up from the big bags. Re-usable drink containers isn't cost effective for us either because they just end up lost or missing parts and are so expensive to keep replacing, maybe someday!!!

To all who had suggestions to change our eating habits, I am going to try and include the occasional vegeterian meal, but I don't feel that there is much I can do to change our diets. SB works very very well for dh (didn't work for me a lick when I tried ), well enough that I wouldn't ask him to change his eating style unless we were desperate. And as for sending PBJ with any of my kids for lunch, I generally am afraid to do so because I have on occasion messed up and sent the wrong kid with the wrong lunch. Its one thing to have the kids end up with something they don't like, having my son accidentally get PBJ is another story entirely. So, bottom line, I don't trust myself...or anyone else, to make sure that a mix-up doesn't happen....its easier just to not do it at all. I will look thru the lunch links you all helped out with and see if there is anything inspiring in there.

Thanks again!

Amanda
Mommy to Alonzo (11), Jacob (9), : Lucas (8) & Trinity (almost 2!!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page