Boneless vs bone-in chicken breast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't decide and it's bugging me!

Chicken is on sale this week, both bone-in and boneless breast. The bone-in is $1 cheaper per pound. (I don't mind doing the work, in fact I usually purchase whole chickens, but these are a great price!). How much do chicken bones weigh anyways??? Is it worth the extra $ for boneless? What do you guys do?

Sheesh. I definitely need more sleep....

Thank you!

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowTurtle View Post
I can't decide and it's bugging me!

Chicken is on sale this week, both bone-in and boneless breast. The bone-in is $1 cheaper per pound. (I don't mind doing the work, in fact I usually purchase whole chickens, but these are a great price!). How much do chicken bones weigh anyways??? Is it worth the extra $ for boneless? What do you guys do?

Sheesh. I definitely need more sleep....

Thank you!
I personally go with a little of both. I like to have some boneless for when I am really busy or for when DH cooks b/c he hates to handle chicken with bones. So depending on how much you are looking at buying, 1-2 pks of boneless & the rest bone-in.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:55 PM

If it's for my dogs, I go with bone-in, if it's for us, boneless. I don't like the extra work

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:42 PM

We usually buy boneless, skinless for general use, but I also roast whole chickens, too. I like the whole roasted to use the bones for making stock. That would be the reason I would get the bone-in... to make stock. If you're just going to trim it off and throw it away before cooking, I'd say you'll probably want to go for boneless. Bones add flavor to meat, so if you're going to cook with bone-in, perhaps that makes a difference.

Also, one can't really calculate which is a better deal unless you tell us the prices. For example if boneless are $2/lb. and bone-in are $1/lb. then you are talking about 100% increase on the bonless over the bone-in, which would most definitely make the bone-in a better deal. But if the boneless are $4/lb. and the bone-in are $3/lb. then there is only a 25% difference in price which could make it iffy. KWIM? I think beef bones are about 40% of the weight, but not sure how much chicken bones are. Probably less... maybe 30%? Once you find out the ratio of meat to bones, then you can see if it's a good deal.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:43 PM

I almost always get whole chickens because they're cheaper and we use the bones for stock. But when I do buy breasts I buy them boneless because it's simpler and saves time.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:50 PM

I buy both. Boneless skinless breasts usually have to be pretty cheap before I'll buy those. We do like drumsticks, thighs and even bone in breasts so I buy those when they're on sale too.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:51 PM

When I buy chicken breasts I usually prefer boneless, but if it's a crockpot recipe I always get bone-in for that.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 05-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Unless it's a great sale, neither one. But between the two, the bone-in is going to be cheaper. Bonus is you can keep the bones to toss in the stock pot.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

I usually get whole chickens but they're actually more than the bone-in breasts right now (and I've been out for a while). Bone-in is on sale for 1.99/lb and boneless for 2.99/lb.

I usually use the bones for making stock, so I guess I could freeze them as I use them and once I have enough I could make stock. Hmmm.

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

Old 05-15-2009, 03:48 PM

If there is a big price difference, say...more than $1.30 more per pound, I stick with boneless. You're paying $3 for a pound of chicken breast, or $2 for less chicken breast attached to the bone (which most people throw out). So you're really probably paying $3 for a full pound or so of the actual meat.
That's how I look at it, anyway.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Around here, our sale price is $1/lb for bone-in and $1.99/lb for boneless. At those prices, I get the same serving sizes for the same amount of money. However, with the bone-in, I get the bones for stock. Plus, it's an easy, easy meal for us. I just throw a couple in the oven, and voila, roasted chicken in 30 minutes. Easy is good.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:23 PM

We don't usually buy chicken breasts, usually whole chickens or legs and thighs. I would probably buy bone in and keep it for baked chicken. (using the bones after roasting for stock) I prefer baked chicken on the bone, but for grilled, or stirfried I like the boneless.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

Old 05-15-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
Around here, our sale price is $1/lb for bone-in and $1.99/lb for boneless. At those prices, I get the same serving sizes for the same amount of money.
Yes, that's our difference - you can get them on sale for the prices mentioned above. I did take the bone in breasts, debone them and when bone in were 99c/lb or so it ended up being less than $2/lb for just the meat. The bonus with buying bone in is you get the chicken tenderloins underneath and those are nice.

I don't make stock but DDog luuuurves chicken bones!

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

Old 05-15-2009, 04:54 PM

If you buy bone in, you can make lots of good bone broth/stock!

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
Old 05-15-2009, 04:57 PM

If you cook your chicken on the bone, it adds a lot of flavor, and white-meat chicken needs all the flavor help it can get! Also, if you make a pan sauce, the bones give that a nicer texture.

If you want to cut up the meat for stir-fry or something, at least you have bones for stock. either way, get the bones!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:57 PM

Never really been a bone in fan, so we always buy boneless. But if you are needing to make broth/stock - I'd buy one of each!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Don't give your dogs chicken bones! They splinter and can lacerate the digestive tract.

babyf.gif

Old 05-15-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
Don't give your dogs chicken bones! They splinter and can lacerate the digestive tract.
It may be just the cooked bones that do this.... Maybe someone else will chime in...
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Banned

According to this website:

http://www.cheapcooking.com/costperserving.htm

Boneless chicken breast at $2.99/lb yields 4 servings at cost of $.75/serving.

Bone-in chicken breast at $1.99/lb yields 2.5 servings at a cost of $.80/serving.

If you can used the bones to make broth, you add to the value of the bone-in, otherwise there you go.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
What a neat site! Thanks.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
It may be just the cooked bones that do this.... Maybe someone else will chime in...
Jessica
I agree...just cooked ones. Raw chicken bones can be a healthy part of a raw/BARF diet for dogs! My dog loved getting all our raw meaty bones!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 PM

According to the USDA nutrient data laboratory, chicken breast contains about 20% bone by weight. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

And our dogs eat a raw diet which includes chicken on a regular basis too - no problem as long as they're raw and meaty!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 PM

It depends on how we're cooking it.

For bbq'ing we get chicken breasts with the backs attached & don't flip them.

For everything else(unless I'm having wings/drumsticks/roasting) we get boneless.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:03 PM

2.99 a lb for boneless skinless breast seems expensive to me, right now locally one of our stores is offering them for 1.69 a lb. Many times they offer them for .99 a lb(about every 6 weeks). I rarely bother with bone in, unless they are super cheap and then I bake them for cooked chicken meat.

To me this is a classic example of waiting for a sale and then stocking up, IMO. I also have a Foodsaver and a freezer, so that may be a large part of that mentality.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
2.99 a lb for boneless skinless breast seems expensive to me, right now locally one of our stores is offering them for 1.69 a lb. Many times they offer them for .99 a lb(about every 6 weeks).
This is completely regional though. I don't buy supermarket meat anymore, but I actually stopped because I could no longer get ANY meat for under $2/lb, even on sale. At one point my price point was 99 cents, but over time it wound up creeping up to 1.99, and even then I could only find ground beef, chicken thighs or pork ribs for that point - nothing else ever dropped that low.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-16-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
2.99 a lb for boneless skinless breast seems expensive to me,
not in Canada
Old 05-16-2009, 07:08 AM

Wow!! I pay $6.99 and up a lb for chicken breast here in HI!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 05-17-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk de jour View Post
RAW chicken meat & bones are the staple of many many rawfed dog's diet (chicken is cheap and the bones are soft for smaller dogs to chew up)

Cooked bones of any kind are not good though, particularly cooked chicken or turkey bones which splinter.

I buy whole chickens, they were on sale this week for 85cents/lb
If I want to grill I cut the breasts and leg quarters off myself and store them in tupperware until I'm ready to cook them, and feed the bony back & wing parts to Dusti (raw of course) or save them for stock.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 PM

I guess we're lucky, sometimes I can even find organic chicken breasts for 2.49 a lb(1/2 price sale at SW). Most of the time I can get WA state fresh boneless, skinless breasts from anywhere between .99(awesome sale)-2.99(expensive, but still on sale). The regular everyday price is about 4.00 a lb.

I live in WA, I guess we have it good.

I also get whole chickens for .59-.79 a lb depending on the sale.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 05-17-2009, 06:21 PM

I like bone-in meat. It's not extra work. Most of the time I just toss it in the crock-pot. I prefer the flavor of bone-in to boneless. My boneless, skinless chicken breasts always tastes too dry. : I don't know how much more or less it is per serving, but I always put about one piece of chicken in a casserole, soup, or stew, so it always ends up being less when I do boneless. It's less meat but no one notices in a casserole.

User Tag List