Help me eat down my freezer! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've eaten out too much this week and realized when I stopped at the store for Ground Beef that I might have some at home but forgot - :

So I've inventoried the freezer and am going to try and eat it down this month and keep from spending any more at the grocery store!

This is for myself, my husband who is home for dinner and possibly eats a bite on the way out the door and my 4 year old dd)
What I've got:

1 box popsicles
2 boxes mochi ice cream
2 1/2 gallons vanilla ice cream
2 ice cream sandwiches

2 cups frozen blueberries
frozen 1/2 bananas (1 quart bag)
1 large bag (2 gallons) frozen fruit mix
2 cups coconut milk frozen in 2 Tbs. portions

10 cups homemade chicken stock
4 lbs shrimp (1/2 cooked and 1/2 raw)
2 lb pork butt
1.5 lb Canadian bacon
2 lb. American bacon
1 1/2 lb. Ground Beef
6 hamburgers
20 chicken nuggets
5 pounds raw chicken breast tenders
bag of brown and serve sausage
1 pound salmon fillet

6 pounds peas
4 packets of eggo waffles (36 waffles)
2 bags edamame
2 cups corn
2 cups hash browns
7 hamburger buns
1 box spinach

1 1/2 containers of oj concentrate.

I'm off to survey the fridge and cupboards and add to this list....TIA for any help you all might have!

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#2 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 PM

This is probably enough food to feed you guys for 3 weeks (maybe more).

I would buy some fresh fruit and veggies, whatever dairy products you usually get and eggs. That's it.

2 cups frozen blueberries
frozen 1/2 bananas (1 quart bag)
1 large bag (2 gallons) frozen fruit mix
2 cups coconut milk frozen in 2 Tbs. portions

Smoothies and muffins/quick breads. Banana muffins and blueberry muffins. Yum! Frozen bananas are so awesome in smoothies. They give them that thick milkshake texture!

Dinners:

Hamburgers (left overs for lunch.) and Salad

Chicken nuggets, homemade oven fries or sweet potato fries (yummy and so easy) with veggies and dip

Pork Butt

Great juicy recipe:
salt and pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
pork butt roast
onion, sliced
garlic minced
new potatoes, raw
carrots, peeled
mushrooms, halved
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cover the bottom of a roasting pan or corningware dish with most of the thick slices of onion. Sprinkle most of the minced garlic over top of onion.
Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Sprinkle pork on all sides with salt, pepper onion and garlic powder; rub into meat. Sear the meat on all sides until lightly brown. Transfer to roasting pan.
Place remaining onion slices and garlic over meat and in the roasting pan. Add the chicken stock and white wine (optional) . Cover and place in preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours. Add the potatoes and carrots; cover and cook 45 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 15 minutes. Remove and let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.

Reduce juices and make gravy. (oh so yummy!)

Leftovers:

pork butt Take the remaining meat and divide in half. Freeze half. Make pork stew. (add any left over gravy from night before.)

pork butt Throw the frozen meat into a crockpot with bbq sauce, 1/4 cup of red wine (optional) or some water. High for one hour, low for the rest of the day. Shred and serve on buns with salad.

I can come back later and add more if you like!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#3 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 PM

I'm not great at this kind of thing but I would definitely eat the fresh shrimp first
#4 of 6 Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 AM

Let's see.

Eat the ice cream.

Other than that, you could make smoothies with the frozen fruit. You could also make the blueberries into a sauce for the waffles. With the sausage. Yum. Breakfast for dinner. You have a lot of breakfast stuff.

I would use the conconut milk to make chicken satay sauce or a coconut milk curry. That would be very good with the shrimp or salmon.

I would make soup with the chicken stock. You could use some bacon along with onions, vegetables and whatever you have in your pantry. If you can make some homemade bread with this, you can probably get more than a few meals worth of soup.

I would use the corn, peas and edamame to make mixed steamed vegetables with the chicken nuggets. Good lunch for the 4 year old...and parents too.

You have a lot of peas, so maybe a pea salad too? To go along with hamburgers? Or a pea soup?

Now I'm hungry...
#5 of 6 Old 05-19-2009, 02:17 AM

The peas, bacon and chicken stock would make a brilliant risotto, if you have some rice in the cupboard. I don't always have arborio rice, but if I cook up plain rice it still works well.
#6 of 6 Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Try joining the pantry challenge. Even though this is in the freezer, the pantry challenge can help you unload some of this!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1086153

:

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page