Cost of Groceries... Wow - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLang View Post
If the food prices were linked so closely with gas prices, why haven't food prices come down at all since gas has?
the food prices have dropped substantially over here in California in the past few months. I don't think they will ever be as low as they used to be even though a lot of companies have lowered the quantity of the package to even out the prices, but I can afford more than I could last year.
#62 of 69 Old 05-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I heard on the news somewhere that they won't drop food prices even tho gas prices are lower because they are afraid gas will go back up. Plus, now we are "used" to paying more so why should they lower them?

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#63 of 69 Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Food prices here have dropped some *very* recently. For example, in April DH and I bought 12# of local, hormone free butter because it was on sale at the IGA for $2.60- it's normally in the $3.50/# range.

Then, just a few days ago, I went to SuperOne- same butter, NOT a sale, and it was priced at $2.19. I even checked with the dairy manager who happened to be right there, and he said, yes, the price of many of that brand of products has recently dropped significantly due to the drop in oil prices. Also, we are seeing it because it's a small, local loop- this dairy processes only U.P. milk, and sells only in the U.P. and a few counties in Eastern Wisconsin.

We don't have a lot of grain grown here, though, so I anticipate flour and corn products to stay relatively high.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#64 of 69 Old 05-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
I'm glad to see this thread b/c I would read how some frugal mamas were spending $400 a month and I just wasn't getting it. I'm glad I'm not the only one spending $$$ trying to eat simple, healthy food. We went from $400-$600 to $700-$900. It seems like you either have to eat processed crap on sale or rice and beans. I spent $10 Thursday on blueberries and cherries (on sale) and they're already gone. How can I not want to buy my family fresh fruit??? If anything, I feel guilty b/c it's not organic.
I'm really happy for this thread!

OK, I was wondering too how people were getting away with paying so little. We buy the majority of our produce from a guy we know at the farmer's markey, so it's a great value, however still we're doing about $600 or so a month. In fact, we had used some software to keep track this year and I was shocked when it actually came out so high.

We're a family of 6, but one is a baby so is only eating at Mom's though most defnitely I'm eating extra as a result. LOL.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#65 of 69 Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 PM

It definitely depends on where you live and where you shop. I mostly use a small grocery chain that's very close. I can find better deals a few towns over, but I also have to drive there and deal with my kids the whole time I'm there. Instead, I go on my lunch breaks and save tons by not taking my kids.

We used to spend $400-500 a month for 2 adults and 2 kids. I've been seeing what I can do just planning meals out of what I have in the house and supplementing a little. This month, I actually got it down under $300 and we haven't suffered a bit. However, a lot of our food comes from places besides the store.

We raise our own beef and pork and while we do have to pay for hay (and hay prices are pretty high), its really much much cheaper than getting it from the store. And healthier. We have a big garden and lots of fruit trees so we can/freeze and that lasts us almost through to summer. And of course the Farmer's Market and lots of friends who we trade with.

If we did have to buy everything at the store, we'd obviously spend ALOT more.
#66 of 69 Old 05-28-2009, 05:22 PM

I guess it depends on where you live, but $45 wouldn't do it for my family either. I have to have food that I know tastes good. I can shop at discount grocery stores like Aldi and what not, but I only get what I know we like from stores like that and it's not much usually. I spend atleast $700/month on groceries for our family of 4.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#67 of 69 Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 PM

I get by with spending about $175 most of the time for me and the DS4(sometimes I can get away with $150) each month. Including fruits, veggies, and meats.

I shop at a military commissary though so that might make a difference.
I went down to price compare some of the things I buy at WalMart and about had a heart attack! The prices were sooo much higher! AACK!

Center
#68 of 69 Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibana View Post
Wow, he sounds like an authority on the subject. Why do so many single guys consider themselves experts at caring for a family? Several of my dh's friends drive me up the wall with all the things they "know". 200/month included yummy stuff like pizza, quiche, lasagna and tacos, but they were all made from scratch and contained very little meat. Dh took leftovers for lunch and dd & I ate up the odds and ends during the day.

Something just occurred to me- It's not a grocery budget, it's a lifestyle. Spending that little on food, toiletries and cleaning products requires a particular mindset about sacrificing things and the time to work around not having them. My family uses a minimum of paper, personal care and cleaning products, eats in season with very little convenience stuff (I even make my own tortilla chips, for pete's sake) and doesn't throw away food that hasn't actually gone bad. Most of the general population doesn't live that way.
Yes, but this also requires quite a bit of time. I try to live like this, but I work part-time and do in-home daycare, and I don't always have the time to do it. There are days when my kids are starving and I forgot to put some beans in to soak, or didn't have time to get some bread rising or something, and I just want a can of garbanzos or a flipping graham cracker!

It's a trade-off, you know? That's what I've decided about couponing and driving to four different grocery stores to get the best deals. I would rather just work some more, because I can make twice what I save in the same amount of time.

Mommy to kids

#69 of 69 Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
It's a trade-off, you know? That's what I've decided about couponing and driving to four different grocery stores to get the best deals. I would rather just work some more, because I can make twice what I save in the same amount of time.
This is exactly what it boils down to. It's a trade-off. In order to "work more", I'd have to enter the work force, deal with all the ups and downs of that,and then I'd have the opportunity to choose. So, since I have no real source of income, an extra 30 minutes a week going to a couple of stores (which my family enjoys) isn't a big deal.

Another thing that really, really helps us is that I am very, very picky. I can't imagine eating a tomato in February. My kids are the same way. My toddler only eats tomatoes from July-October, then eats them with every meal. The rest of the year, we eat canned or frozen, but not fresh. They are cheaper in season. too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page